Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Monthly Development Update - May 31st, 2013

yeah guise. the CD comes and makes ONE post and you tear him a new arsehole. you're supposed to slowly crank up the heat of the flames, not roast him on high the second he gets a toe in the water

His 8th post on the forums rankled several folks, but that wasn't really the issue. The issue was that his comments were in the context of a conversation about his lack of posting. It wasn't so much turning the volume up to 11 as much as it was venting pent-up frustration.

Just sayin' yo.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

The only problem I see with the new CD is that he actually thought the world was going to end or something on 2012, lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by swirling-dog View Post
    The only problem I see with the new CD is that he actually thought the world was going to end or something on 2012, lolz.
    I think that was just an excuse to steal the dreamfall zoe cutout and get drunk. As if anyone needs an excuse for either of these things.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    That just supports my point ... that's a handful of HUNDREDS. That doesn't even include the MMO's that don't even make it to release.
    Yes, I'm sure we should count all of the games that never actually came out or MUDs. Or, you know, we could be realistic and not count every random Joe Nobody's "brilliant idea" as an unmade game or classify glorified chatrooms as modern MMOs. There were nowhere near "hundreds" of MMOs being made from 95-02.

Or you could also simply provide a source for these outlandish claims. Here is my source, though as I mentioned in that post, I only went to the games in 2002, and not to the end of 2nd gen MMOs in 04.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    In addition to that...AO is TWICE as old as all of those games except 2. Those 2 games AO is still 2 and 5 years older than respectively. NONE of those games have a playerbase the size of AO.
    Did you even look at the list I made? AO is nowhere near twice as old as any of those. It's a year older at most. The younger/older I put apply to that game, not AO. EQ, is 2 years older than AO. Asheron's Call is 2 years older than AO. The Realm Online is 5 years older than AO. Etc.

As for the playerbase of AO's size, that's laughable. Final Fantasy XI had 200,000 to 300,000 players in 2006, and that went up to 500,000 in 2008. AO might have gotten close to those numbers during the launch of F2P, but at no other time did it even get close. MapleStory and Runescape have had more users than WoW. Are you going to try telling us that AO is more successful than WoW?

I am not digging this new format where we ask questions for 15 days and then a month later they ask for more questions.

Lets go back to ask a question anytime and get ignored immediately and the monthly promises for a new engine, new starting area, profession re-balance, stacking furnaces and other great stuff, and then never deliver. It's worked for 12 years, why start something new now?

Quote Originally Posted by Socrattes View Post
    I am not digging this new format where we ask questions for 15 days and then a month later they ask for more questions.

Lets go back to ask a question anytime and get ignored immediately and the monthly promises for a new engine, new starting area, profession re-balance, stacking furnaces and other great stuff, and then never deliver. It's worked for 12 years, why start something new now?
    lmfao! Post of 2013. I agree with every word.
    Rubi-Ka is an ideal Planet for colonisation, but its Notum will make it dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. I fear for it. Unknown 28703AD

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    There were nowhere near "hundreds" of MMOs being made from 95-02.
    I didn't say there was. My point was pretty simple. AO is a relatively old and continually developed game. It didn't get that way being as unsuccessful as you would like to think it is. It's more successful than many games that have been released and closed in that period of time. You little bit of research doesn't detract from that.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Did you even look at the list I made? AO is nowhere near twice as old as any of those. It's a year older at most. The younger/older I put apply to that game, not AO. EQ, is 2 years older than AO. Asheron's Call is 2 years older than AO. The Realm Online is 5 years older than AO. Etc.
    I saw the list and I suppose I disagree with your timeline of age. I've played some of those games briefly and don't remember any of them before AO except EQ. Which..other than EQ none of them ever had any popularity close to AO at it's apex. Furthermore I would be surprised if any of them had 1/4 current AO population or popularity.

If you actually looked up the start launch dates of those games from publisher websites then I will take your word for it.

I trust you, not a wiki page.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    I didn't say there was. My point was pretty simple. AO is a relatively old and continually developed game. It didn't get that way being as unsuccessful as you would like to think it is. It's more successful than many games that have been released and closed in that period of time. You little bit of research doesn't detract from that.
    I didn't say it was unsuccessful, though my and your definitions of "continually developed" must be very different. My list is simply for all those people who point out AO's age as some kind of miracle. Most MMOs from that era also have a small group of diehards, much like AO.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    I saw the list and I suppose I disagree with your timeline of age. I've played some of those games briefly and don't remember any of them before AO except EQ. Which..other than EQ none of them ever had any popularity close to AO at it's apex. Furthermore I would be surprised if any of them had 1/4 current AO population or popularity.

If you actually looked up the start launch dates of those games from publisher websites then I will take your word for it.

I trust you, not a wiki page.
    Well Everquest, Ultima, Meridian, The Realm, and Asheron's Call were all 100% around before AO. I personally played EQ and The Realm before AO, though I didn't get very far in either, and I played DAoC around that same time period.

As for population/popularity, AO has never come even close to Runescape and MapleStory, and I can practically guarantee you that both of those games have a higher population than AO currently. MapleStory alone has had more unique players than WoW has, several times more, in fact. I know we all love AO, but there comes a point when "AO is special because it's 12 years old" is hilariously misguided. AO is special because of the base game. As far as I'm concerned, SL wasn't quite in the same spirit, but it was mostly okay, and everything afterwards has just diluted the experience.

AO is also special because it is twelve years old. It is just not alone in that camp of specialness.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

I didn't say it was unsuccessful, though my and your definitions of "continually developed" must be very different. My list is simply for all those people who point out AO's age as some kind of miracle. Most MMOs from that era also have a small group of diehards, much like AO.
    Great so basically, your list doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about. I thought so. Despite your list, AO might not be unique for it's age but it is special and whatever your definition is, it's still being developed. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be working on the MAIN aspect that would allow it's development to continue into the future. Again, take a second, a few if not a minute if you need it.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 18th, 2013 at 01:16:26.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Knock it off, already. Thank you.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Well congratz all yea guys on doing a great job with all the new things coming to game soon enough after playing 8yrs i am still playing like its my first day and i have certainly seen a lot of changes in my time here on ao.

But the main reason im here is Mr Joel aka Nusquam gz on the bubs bro been along time between chats but wanted to say congratz and hope to speak to yea soon again if not here but tho other means.

gz again man from yea bro Rosco aka Bigrosco

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Knock it off, already. Thank you.
    Is a forum not for discussion? Are we not being civil? What rules are we breaking, exactly? And what other discussion would happen here if we weren't posting?

Is a forum not for discussion? Are we not being civil? What rules are we breaking, exactly? And what other discussion would happen here if we weren't posting?
    questioning moderation?

100 posts of repetitive argument which you have been asked to shelf already is enough.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910