Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - May 31st, 2013

Funcom employee

Hmmm, let me try to explain my perspective here a little more. I might just be digging the hole deeper (I do that a lot).

I don't see this as customer service and I don't treat it as such. This is where we can have a real dialogue about the issues you have with the game. If you want me to smile and nod every time I disagree with you, then this is not going to be a conversation.

AO has a Game Director. One who is doing a good job and knows the game very well. If you would prefer that she do the monthly updates, I can ask her to. Frankly, I've been doing them to save her time (which is put directly back into AO as development time) but if Genele agrees she can do the updates from now on.

By contrast, AoC and TSW do not have a game director. I am all that they have. Thus I do spend proportionately more of my time on those forums talking with the community. It isn't a "lack of investment" in AO, it is that AO already has people who post regularly and keep you guys up to date. The other games, not so much. It's also worth pointing out that I talk in the same tone to the players on the other forums and I have made an almost identical post about whether my job entails customer service in the past. I am blunt and that is me.

People also seem quite upset if we post about the engine. Considering we spend a lot of resources on this, it is natural for us to talk about it in the updates. Yes, I know FC has been talking about it for 5 years at this point. There are reasons why it needs to get done (DX7 no longer supported etc.) to ensure the long term future of AO.

Finally, communication and respect, is a two-way street. I understand that I haven't earned the respect of this community and until things get done, I don't really expect to.
    However, I have been transparent with this community regarding both my experience, my approach to AO and indeed what my job actually entails in regards to AO. It might not be what people want to hear, but it is what the work entails. I don't really appreciate being called lazy or ignoring the community because I had to take a few days off to take care of my wife and new daughter.
    On AO:
    I listen to the team and make sure they have what they need. I insulate them from the management side of things for the most part - they deal with me (and Scott) and I make sure they get what they need.

For all projects:
    I am the internal advocate for all of the games both outwards and upwards. My job is making sure that marketing know what is cool and coming for each game so that they can highlight and target the right press.
    I do the same job with upper management, ensuring that they hear about the good work (and the failures) on the projects. I am also responsible for said failures and in that sense I also insulate the teams from having to deal with anybody but me regarding them.

Specifically for AO, you can expect a major marketing push when the engine is done and ready for steam. The marketing department is already super excited about the engine and the game (I showed them it running as a remote desktop slideshow) and they were pumped.
    And baby update - a daughter named Zoey. Fortunately looks like her mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post

mazel tov!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    It does not matter who is right and who is wrong. It has to do with the way it is said.
    I know the CD has a bit of an attitude, but prodding him for it won't make things better. It's kind-of crazy that people take anything more than AO staff bending-over-backwards and taking posts from players on the forums as insulting, so I tend to feel it doesn't bother people as much as they may claim either. I mean, this is the AO forums right? This place is like the elite academy for producing tough skinned forum trolls. I can go on other game's forums and just laugh when they try to get cocky, most of us on these forums are on a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I know the CD has a bit of an attitude, but prodding him for it won't make things better. It's kind-of crazy that people take anything more than AO staff bending-over-backwards and taking posts from players on the forums as insulting, so I tend to feel it doesn't bother people as much as they may claim either. I mean, this is the AO forums right? This place is like the elite academy for producing tough skinned forum trolls. I can go on other game's forums and just laugh when they try to get cocky, most of us on these forums are on a whole new level.
    Thou shaltst speakest for thaiselfe, I be delicate and sensibleh like the sweetest lily from the vale.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    the ao forums will make a man out of you yet.

we need to put a training programme together for the new CD explaining proper use of such important ao forum tools as "ur mum", "no u" and the all-important "confirmed:"
    Last edited by Lazy; Jun 3rd, 2013 at 14:59:45.

Gratz!
    Me? Trouble? No trouble..

As Mae West said: "Never resist temptation, you don't know if you'll get another chance."

Quote Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
    Sensitive ? Pretty sure it says sensible..
    omg omg omg omg I was wrong to write, what dramaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ...............

As in, it is sensible that they limit the absurd amount of credits people were making in there. Could they have done something different ? Maybe, but something had to be done..
    something had to be done?????? what are u talking about? WHY something had to be done????? for who? for u that don't have s10 char? create one, u know what have to be done? hours and hours of farming becomes useless, hours and hours of farming for credits for equip 225 CCS, useless, 225 CC and CCS Useless, for u are not useless? COOOOOL MATE, i sell u 2 full sets, np.

oh plz i hate this discussions, where you realize like a lightning from heaven, even you've been playing for years, that they are right, that this particular content was useless, pleaseeeeee.

As I have repeatedly said, mine was an example, what i mean, my words, are very clear, even if my english sucks, and certainly better than your Italian, the fact is that a lot of people think like me, but are not here to write because they are tyred

congratulations for the newborn Nusquam
    Account Details:
    Created 2001-06-27 13:43:25

Iron, 220/30 Bureaucrat
    Blackshadow, 220/30 Agent
    Misthyka, 220/25 Doc
    Lighttrader, 210/15 Trader
    Yokokurama, "Useless" 150 s10 MA (we lost s10 forever)
    Theater of Tragedy Squad Commander

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    donde esta la biblioteca?
    that is spanish, not italian :facepalm:
    Account Details:
    Created 2001-06-27 13:43:25

Iron, 220/30 Bureaucrat
    Blackshadow, 220/30 Agent
    Misthyka, 220/25 Doc
    Lighttrader, 210/15 Trader
    Yokokurama, "Useless" 150 s10 MA (we lost s10 forever)
    Theater of Tragedy Squad Commander

Quote Originally Posted by maxcancer View Post
    omg omg omg omg I was wrong to write, what dramaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ...............

something had to be done?????? what are u talking about? WHY something had to be done????? for who? for u that don't have s10 char? create one, u know what have to be done? hours and hours of farming becomes useless, hours and hours of farming for credits for equip 225 CCS, useless, 225 CC and CCS Useless, for u are not useless? COOOOOL MATE, i sell u 2 full sets, np.

oh plz i hate this discussions, where you realize like a lightning from heaven, even you've been playing for years, that they are right, that this particular content was useless, pleaseeeeee.

As I have repeatedly said, mine was an example, what i mean, my words, are very clear, even if my english sucks, and certainly better than your Italian, the fact is that a lot of people think like me, but are not here to write because they are tyred
    Hey, I'm not mocking your english.. I'm mocking your reading.. Atleast use the words the guy you quoted used.

And I had a S10 toon, and i farmed it regularly because the amount of credits it produced was vast superior to any thing else ingame at the time excluding thethingican'ttalkabout.

Oh, and they didn't delete s10, they just made it not silly in terms of credits generated out of nothing, you can still go there, farm relays and pop bosses and get both ICE and Viralbots.
    Last edited by Pennypacker; Jun 3rd, 2013 at 15:47:01.

The fact is many people here are multi-lingual and many of them have English as a second language, so lets not use that as an argument point.

(Actually, the last time I broke this sort of argument up, I believe it went something along the lines of this: paraphrasing roughly, "Well, you can't pick on my English, I speak three languages and English isn't my first language!" "Cool story, bro, I speak four, and its not my first language either." That's generally just a way to make everyone involved look very silly.)
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

that is spanish, not italian :facepalm:
    no u

zoe?
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Grats on little one.

Firefly fan? (If u are, that alone will allow some of us to cut u a bit of slack...)
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

I wish we could have more screenshots.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jun 3rd, 2013 at 20:48:06.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Hi, I played froob for years, and paid for about a year before I left, mainly due to the low player population.

I come back here every once and a while to see if the rebalance and the graphics engine will every get off the ground, have to say, the news there is rather discouraging giving how long it is taking.

My question is this, will I be able to re-activate my accounts (froob and paid) when and if the graphics engine goes live and funcom makes a serious stab at attracting new players?

Will there be any incentives for those of us in that situation?

If the graphics update and the rebalance are anywhere near the horizon, I would think these issues would be getting discussed there at Funcom.
    Babacratus
    - Clan Nano/Bureaucrat - Stumblin and Bumblin, he just might go all the way!

if these forums were translated, they should be translated to french because germans can read english or at least understands to use google translator if needed.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    bump to this
    Hells Heroes
    Montelukast 220 Doctor - Redsonjah 220 Enforcer - Blackgammon2 220 Engineer
    Hellsheroes 220 Nano-Tech - Tinykungfu 220 Martial Artist - Dayvidian 220 Soldier
    Allomancer 213 Keeper - Captplanet 217 Meta-Physicist - Mrspeed 200 Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    But it takes a month to PhotoShop the pics to look like they are from the new engine ��.

Just close the game already. The bull**** and attitudes coming from this flagship failure of a company is down right absurd now. Sell your stocks, pack your bags and leave the internet forever.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast