Thread: Science, Art, Culture.

Science, Art, Culture.

Hello.

During my time in and off of Anarchy Online, I've noticed a very two dimensional look at the world of Rubi-ka. One of the things that somewhat frustrates me is the wipe open space between the conflict between the factions, and story of the shadowlands, and the makeup of the game. I find this somewhat disappointing in a way.

One of the things that draws me to games, especially Sci-fi worlds and the network of structure that make them up, is how the world comes about feeling like an exciting place. There is so much void to draw from, and very little of it is explained. There are some tidbits of knowledge in the explanations of equipment, nanos, and the like. But, I feel that knowledge is a bit under developed.

When I look at the Editors News section, the largest iconic thing to jump out at folks is the conflict, the entire conflict, and nothing but the partisan conflict. I realize its a cold war, that much is pretty certain. But, the competitive mindset within a cold war like it was with America and the USSR was mostly fueled by our frictions that had just as much to do with our national accomplishments as they did our opinions of each other. This I think absolutely needs to change. I know people like myself love the immersion of an illusory world where ideas touch and things feel like you can really get behind them, and connect with them in a meaningful way.

Its these connections that help us identify with our fictional selves in a game setting. In the case of famous movies and book series (Star Wars, Star Trek, Ender's Game, and Dune all come to mind) these are worlds that are open to us to interpret and draw conclusions from.

So, I'd like to see more coverage of this fictional world in more than just the conflict at hand. There have been some attempts in the past by a few people, to find an opening for that sort of thing but I don't think it got enough attention.

Drawing upon real world sources of media to highlight our culture on this rock we call Earth, we have a plethora of base to work with. What would the youtubes or the facebooks of the future be like? What about entertainments? Movie reviews? Futuristic computer art and designing? Lifestyle advertisements? The theoretical techno lingo behind our nano skills? Space Travel? I mean, there's so much left to imagination that you could come up with or contrive new ideas or rehash old ones without much difficulty. So why not?

A couple of years ago, I tried to come up with a piece of fiction not unlike some sort of unofficial resource on the life and behaviour of the Atrox breed. It didn't pan out so well, as I don't have a means to chronicle that sort of thing outside of the forums, so I couldn't control it. But, I've always had it in the back of my mind that it would be invaluable to have some player based interpretations and expressions.

So, I guess my question to folks is what sort of thing would inspire you to see? Would you be interested in fictional segues that are not conflict related? Or more specifically, what would you find entertaining in the realms of Art, Science, and Culture?
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Now, on a more serious note.

We have a Brain Storming Session on Breeds posted in the Knowledge Database Forum. If you'd like to expand on that, that is something you and I can work on.

It might inspire someone else to pick up the others too.
    Last edited by Trousers; Jun 20th, 2013 at 14:59:23. Reason: Link Provided.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The problem with that is, I have a serious issue with control. Without control as to how to moderate my own work the best I can expect is more of the same of what happened last time. And, its not that I don't enjoy an educated debate. The problem was my bit still needed some polishing, and I had a hard time accepting trolling in lieu of educated debate. I think it would work best in on its own, like what AO-Universe had but without the silly competition between dimensions. I don't really know much about website administration nor security, or else I'd set up something really basic. I considered doing a blog about it, but I'd not be happy with something only I could run either.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Just try your best to cite thing to lore and logic and everyone else be damned.

Like Vash is still going on about how Martial Law only exists in Omni-1 and Omni-3. He's wrong, so I'm just ignoring him. Lore trumps logic trumps opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Drawing upon real world sources of media to highlight our culture on this rock we call Earth, we have a plethora of base to work with. What would the youtubes or the facebooks of the future be like? What about entertainments? Movie reviews? Futuristic computer art and designing? Lifestyle advertisements? The theoretical techno lingo behind our nano skills? Space Travel? I mean, there's so much left to imagination that you could come up with or contrive new ideas or rehash old ones without much difficulty. So why not?
    I suppose the question becomes - Stuff happening outside of Rubi-Ka almost falls into the realm of Expanded Universe, to borrow a phrase.

How much Strict Scrutiny would such EU Articles need to go through?

And if we establish a News Service, would it be possible to maybe either get Top Billing in Editor News as the New Source, or perhaps a Sub-Forum for the News Agency's Feed?