Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update, 1st July 2013

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update, 1st July 2013

Hi guys,
    Another year has passed for Anarchy Online - 12 years is a massive milestone for any online game and it is really thanks to the community that Anarchy Online is still kicking butt after all this time. So thank you for your support and enthusiasm in keeping Anarchy Online still alive!
    With the Anniversary still in full swing, if you haven't jumped in, now is the time. The Tinker and the Desert Nomads and free gifts and gametime are still all in full swing.
    Yesterday, during the Borealis event there were upwards of 500-600 people running amok in the city! It was an amazing event, thanks to all of the people who showed up and the ARK Events department for putting it together.
    The Anniversary runs for another week and a half, and there has never been a better time to get into the game.

The Engine Beta
    As work on the new engine progresses, we are finalizing plans for the closed beta. Over the coming months we will invite many players to help us out by putting the engine through its paces.
    The main errors holding back the engine from closed beta at the moment are some render bugs with water and some models which have too many animation bones (I'm looking at you, mechs!).
    We will need to test the client on many different configurations in order to be able to nail down system specific bugs and problems. Theoretically because the rendering engine is the same as the one from Age of Conan, we shouldn't have too many problems, but you never know where problems might crop up.
    Currently the file size for the new engine is around 15gb, as opposed to the lightweight 3gb we have now, so for those of you planning to upgrade, save some space

General Updates
    Apart from the engine, Genele is still continuing work on the New Player Experience for the 18.7 while Michizure is helping out with both NPE and some quality of life improvements.
    Outside of the game, you may have noticed that anarchy-online.com is once again getting regular updates, now that we finally remembered where we left the keys to the website.
    We're also still looking at the overhauling the store exploring different options - including a game time for credits option on the ingame market. While this is not 100% nailed down, we're all positive to the benefits that such a system could bring to the game.
    In response to the community requests, Genele and I will also be alternating these monthly updates, so you'll hear from her next month. Until then, thanks for listening!
    Joel
    Creative Director
    P.S. Thanks for all the well wishes for my daughter. Her name is Zoe - and she will be a clanner.

1st ^_=

ingame market selling game time? need more details please ^_^.

would it be like "breed" changes or "token packages"...where player buy from ingame market & start selling thru channel spam???
    Last edited by Hokutonoken; Jul 1st, 2013 at 16:01:08.
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    The Engine Beta
    As work on the new engine progresses, we are finalizing plans for the closed beta. Over the coming months we will invite many players to help us out by putting the engine through its paces.
    Alright, who do I need to kill for a spot in the closed beta?

I'll sign whatever you want me to! Oh, please let me break the new engine!
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Sign me up for the beta!
    John 'Novagen' Wright
    Currently on leave from Omni-Pol
    Omni-Tek Representative
    Chair of the Omni Organisational Committee

The Leet - Chat client for Android
    People of Rubi-Ka Revamped

Grid mail: novagen@omni-pol.net

Fourth

17th.

Question. Where am I supposed to find a hard drive big enough to hold the new engine?
    Last edited by Flyingengi; Jul 1st, 2013 at 16:41:46.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

1st page \o/

"Including a game time for credits option on the ingame market"

Best idea ever.

3th.
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Good news!

Thanks for the update.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

I'm ok with this, mostly cuz the remaining staff are a cut above. (I'd include Kintaii if he were still around, mind you.)
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

aw.
    Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    We're also still looking at the overhauling the store exploring different options - including a game time for credits option on the ingame market. While this is not 100% nailed down, we're all positive to the benefits that such a system could bring to the game.
    Big <3 !!

Go go Joel, you made the impossible possible, with TSW going B2P. Do something similar with AO!

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    17th.

Question. Where am I supposed to find a hard drive big enough to hold the new engine?
    A €5 USB drive can hold this update...

Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    a €5 usb drive can hold this update...
    whooosh
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

last!
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

How will the invites to the beta be handled? Will there be some sort of application players need to fill out? Or will random people be emailed congratulating them that they just won a free pass to Imagination Land Beta?

Anyways, not a bad update.

Beta nao!!

Nevermind the bugs. Just release it.
    After 12 years of AO you know that we are used to coping with bugs.

Great update. Exciting stuff.
    Ipewpewu Director of Omni Org Pack of Noobs.

Ohai thar! :0
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

All sounds good, 15GB is a pretty huge engine to DL if you live in a rural place with poor internet where many game updates DL slower than dial up. Please do not limit DL bandwidth on the server side.

So we can expect this soon?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast