Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – 30th of September 2013

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update – 30th of September 2013

Hello!

Yet another month has gone by and I am back with some news. The past month we have worked on the upcoming patch (We patched today, actually). This patch will for the most part contain Halloween and Christmas stuff, but also a very important conversion of the RDB in preparation for the new engine. Hopefully this will go smoothly so we can avoid much downtime. (When I wrote this on Friday I jinxed it, and we will have to do another patch to correct an issue with The Collector. )

The New Engine
    The preparations for the close beta are moving forwards, but we can't set an exact date yet for when we will start inviting players. QA is testing the content and the server while we are fixing bugs, which means things are progressing nicely. I also know that many of you are curious as to what to expect from the new engine and we will get back to you with a feature list quite soon.

Halloween
    Uncle Pumpkinhead is returning to Rubi-Ka once again to terrify weak hearts. This year he has beaten up some Omni-Tek prison guards to steal prisoner outfits… He has also been in his basement and picked up some old school goodies. The Enigmas still need help with defeating the Entvines and these guys will drop high QL Miy back armors.

Aside from that, we have re-introduced the BBQ Shoulder Pillow as part of the Halloween ACG mission loot. Griefing Uncle Pumpkinheads will mingle in the lower suppression gas areas as usual, and ARKs will get a special Uncle Pumpkinghead pet to hand out through events. The Item Shop will also have a couple of free social items to claim during the Halloween events.

NPE
    More quests have been made for the NPE including one to teach players about the insurance terminal (the hard way) and another one about sending in game mail. We have also done some planning and investigation in regards to the help system and an update of the Planet map.

Whom-pahs
    As promised I will add some more detailed information about the changes to our Whom-pah system. The first reason why we are doing this was to make it easier for new players to see the difference between a Clan Whom-pah and an Omni Whom-pah to prevent unnecessary deaths. The second reason was to make the Whom-pahs a bit better looking. The third reason was to make up for the fact that we removed many areas for transportation when we closed down the outdoor player cities. Now that this is said, lets get to the details:
    Each side has gotten one new Whom-pah location:
    - Neutrals will get a Whom-pah from Mort to Sabulum, The Perpetual Wastelands.
    - Clans will get a Whom-pah from 4 Holes to a completely new outpost in the Enigma Forest, Central Artery Valley.
    - Omnis will get a Whom-pah from 20K, Pleasant Meadows to Klatran, Southern Fouls Hills.

A few other links have also been removed, changed or added:
    - 4 holes is no longer connected to any Omni-tek locations.
    - 4 holes is now connected to The Clan Camp, Broken Shores.
    - The Omni Camp, Broken Shores is now connected to The Omni-Tek Outpost, The Longest Road.
    - 2HO, Stret East Bank is now connected to Mutant Domain.
    - Borealis no longer provides any access to Jobe, this Whom-Pah will be located in ICC HQ.
    - Jobe Whom-Pahs in Old Athens and Rome has been moved from their lonely locations in to the main Whom-pah cluster to make them easier to find for new players.

As a side note, all the playfields with Whom-pahs have gotten all player outdoor cities removed. Floating objects and known errors/places to get stuck in these areas should also have been fixed. I hope to get more areas fixed as the NPE gets closer to finished.

I hope all of you will have a great time during the Halloween celebrations.

Until next time!

- Gelene

Yay, I look forward to my closed beta invite.

Also, first.

Which means I should be first for beta, right ?

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Do Neutral and Omni whompah have the same color? Else good idea with more color!
    "No, the NT is a Magetank, the same ability to take a beating as any mage-class with the same taunt and damage output as a tank ..."

Yamaeda - Equip

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaeda View Post
    Do Neutral and Omni whompah have the same color? Else good idea with more color!
    The 3 screen shots show one neutral, one omni and one clan whom-pah cluster. The signs are the most important part to indicating the destination's side.

Blue = Omni
    Orange = Clan
    Teal = Neutral

Edit: we all know that Neutrals are Omni light!

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    and ARKs will get a special Uncle Pumpkinghead pet to hand out through events. The Item Shop will also have a couple of free social items to claim during the Halloween events.
    Very cool, what kind of events are we talking about here?

Dont want to get my hopes up if its just dance/trivia contest rewards at the Halloween party :P
    Last edited by Krause; Sep 30th, 2013 at 19:04:27.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Typed Genele wrong.

I REALLY like the new look on wompahs! Woohoo!
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

The 3 screen shots show one neutral, one omni and one clan whom-pah cluster. The signs are the most important part to indicating the destination's side.

Blue = Omni
    Orange = Clan
    Teal = Neutral

Edit: we all know that Neutrals are Omni light!
    we all now that funcom suport omnis with evrything

Thanks for the update!

The new looks of the Whom-pahs may take some time to get used to, but the whole color theming seems nice although at least on the screenshots Neutral and Omni seem to be a bit hard to distinguish. Maybe you could also add the respective sides logo to their backgrounds?
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Last!

Could you just go on and add the Rome Red to Rome blue and remove the wall?
    Last edited by Ekarona; Sep 30th, 2013 at 19:28:58.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Woot, info's!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

looks good, miy cloaks should dropp of 210 griefing pumpkins also.. offcourse with a low dropprate like the treatment pistols.. becose the dungeoes for those who cant get teams etc.. they are screwd.. and the prices on the miy cloaks will be damn high

Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Last!

Could you just go on and add the Rome Red to Rome blue and remove the wall?

Michizure and I did discuss this, however it means changing a lot of content to make it work. All missions with a mission indicator needs to be updated for example. Closing large and old areas like these is a risky thing to do, as we might break a lot of stuff in the process...
    Only Rome Park has the space to fit both Rome green and blue, and Rome park is the part of the city with the least content...

Right now the only thing I can tell you that 18.7.0 is too big already. We are aware that a change like this would make Rome a much nicer city to navigate in, however at this current time I can't promise anything.
    Last edited by Genele; Sep 30th, 2013 at 19:49:27.

Thumbs down Borealis no longer provides any access to Jobe,

Hello!

Whom-pahs

- Borealis no longer provides any access to Jobe, this Whom-Pah will be located in ICC HQ.

- Gelene

Tell me this isn't true. Do the developers know Borealis is a common point for many players. Many players are based out of Bor. / or gather there. This change is not good for game play. Why don't you put Jobe access in some place a even more inconvenient such as in the middle of a zone without a whom-pa where you have to run/fly 15 minutes to reach the portal?

Quote Originally Posted by ilengineeru View Post
    Tell me this isn't true. Do the developers know Borealis is a common point for many players. Many players are based out of Bor. / or gather there. This change is not good for game play. Why don't you put Jobe access in some place a even more inconvenient such as in the middle of a zone without a whom-pa where you have to run/fly 15 minutes to reach the portal?
    Since when was FC known for streamlining gameplay/ingame travel ?
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by ilengineeru View Post
    In 18.7 it is time to look at a new area. And by making ICC HQ a convenient gathering point, I help new players find experienced players when they exit the new startup area.
    ICC HQ will have more stuff than Borealis ever had, and Borealis is only 2 whom-pah jumps away from ICC HQ and 3 from Jobe. You can also enter the grid and exit in ICC HQ next to the Jobe whom-pah. (So it will actually be faster to get to Jobe from Grid than it ever has been.) I'm sure you will survive just fine even though you decide to remain in Borealis.

In 18.7 it is time to look at a new area. And by making ICC HQ a convenient gathering point, I help new players find experienced players when they exit the new startup area.
    ICC HQ will have more stuff than Borealis ever had, and Borealis is only 2 whom-pah jumps away from ICC HQ and 3 from Jobe. You can also enter the grid and exit in ICC HQ next to the Jobe whom-pah. (So it will actually be faster to get to Jobe from Grid than it ever has been.) I'm sure you will survive just fine even though you decide to remain in Borealis.
    You are forcing me to move all my wall-staring toons from Bore to ICC

hehe
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

I think the new wompas look ugly, but that's probably just more than 10 years of the old wompas talking.

Why do clan get a wompa in enigma forest? Is there even anything there? The only use I could see for it is getting to DAV for some dailies, but Wine is roughly the same distance and it's fewer loading screens from OA. Will you actually add a reason to go to Engima Forest, or is it changes just for the sake of changing?

When will Halloween activities start? Will froobs get mail access or is that intro quest just for paid players?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast