Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – 31st July, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    His point is that you're not being forced to pay for AO. You choose to pay for AO, despite the difference in costs, so it must not be as big a deal as most Euros make it out to be.
    That has nothing to do whether it's fair or not, which is what I am asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Armus View Post
    Do you think it's fair that euros get to pay more than americans?
    .....You choose to pay for AO, despite the difference in costs, so it must not be as big a deal as most Euros make it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    There is a significant issue...
    Then cancel your subscription.

No? Thought so.
    Wonderful logic from Esssch again.
    Troxie

It's not fair that most EU countries have higher minimum wages than the US either. However, Europeans have complained about this price difference for years and nothing has changed, so who's fault is it really?

It's not fair that most EU countries have higher minimum wages than the US either. However, Europeans have complained about this price difference for years and nothing has changed, so who's fault is it really?
    I am betting on the one who is okay with selling at higher price then every other competitor in the market.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    I am betting on the one who is okay with selling at higher price then every other competitor in the market.
    But people are still paying the higher price.

Are Europeans extremely bad at training their pets? Seems like most of the Europeans on AO forums don't understand how conditioning works. When you noticed the price difference, you had basically 4 options:
    Don't pay for it.
    Continue paying for it.
    Alert the company.
    Take legal action.

So far, some have taken option 1, a few have chosen option 2, and others have chosen options 2 and 3 in combination. Well, Funcom hasn't done anything, so move to a new option. Continuing to pay the higher price just tells FC that it's okay.

But people are still paying the higher price.
    No they don't! People on the forum do, or did, but that is not for my wallet that I complain for.

A new player is going to reconsider his choices when he realize that other games are cheaper, on top of being more attractive and having more active players.
    Last edited by Boltgun; Aug 28th, 2013 at 16:16:11.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    No they don't!
    Europeans outnumber any other group of players in AO...

Honestly fairness is irrelevant. It's still about choice.

Is it fair that my subscription used to be $8.00 and is now $15.00? Irrelevant because I choose to pay the almost doubled price for the same product. No one cares if it is fair or not because I have a choice to not pay it. Unfairness comes from NOT having a choice.

If all the sudden McDonalds $1.00 dollar menu items became $3.00 menu items I would have to choose to either buy them or eat at someplace else. It is that simple.
    Last edited by Psikie; Aug 28th, 2013 at 18:15:42.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

And this Ladies & Gents is one of the deciding factors for players resubbing.

...and well, we all know how player numbers are so high we can barely cope nowadays

/endsarcasm
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

@Psikie, Esssch: Why do you keep repeating it's out choice not to pay? You think we don't know that? Why do you put us into position of being "bad" for pointing out the obvious? If you don't think this is an issue, fine. But maybe you should try to see futher than on tip of your nose. As already stated if subscribtion doesn't undergo some serious changes (among other things) then AO will keep losing more and more subscribers. It simply doesn't matter if it costs about the same as dinner in restaurant. Most ppl just don't care. And if it gets to the point where amount of subscribers is so low it's no longer sustainable it will be loss for everyone not just Europeans or those who refuse to pay.
    Last edited by Scotty; Aug 28th, 2013 at 19:52:28.
    Kotty • Drush • Guzzler • Farminator

I am sorry if my responses gave you the impression I think you or anyone is "bad" for complaining. That was not my intention. My statements are purely from a self perspective that the current cost of AO is acceptable to me because comparitively it costs me more money to go out 1 night as opposed to the cost of of 1 month worth of AO playing time.

Fairness is not something I can answer honestly because it is subjective to the individual. I think my current price is fair to me based on what I make and what I am willing to pay. If I made 200k per year I might feel that a $50.00 a month subscription price is fair for something I wanted or enjoyed doing.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I pay $12.50 per week for 1 hour of squash.

Last week, I restrung my racket, cost me 52$

Two months ago, I bought new shoes, cost me $180

That's a pretty expensive hobby.

AO, I pay 3 subs, I just resubbed 2 of them for a year. I think that was 95$ each I think.

95/12 = 8 bucks a month.

If you want to pay less, why don't you buy bulk?

So you go down to the store, the guy before you buys the same sixpack you are planning to. He pays six dollar for it.

Now it's your turn. The clerk asks for eight dollar. You go WTF! I want the same price as the other guy, why is he paying less? The clerk just stares right through you and ask for eight dollars.

Now the guy behind you in the queue tells you that you have a simple choice; pay eight dollar or go someplace else. Then he gets to pay six dollar for the same beer you paid eight for. The clerk just repeats eight dollar and never explains why you have to pay more.

Anyone think this would fly?

Actually I have a suggestion. Why don't we change the tables. Let's let americans pay 33% more than euros. Actually, make it 50% more expensive. You guys need to catch up.
    Last edited by Armus; Aug 29th, 2013 at 00:17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    I
    If you want to pay less, why don't you buy bulk?
    I could think of a number of reasons.
    1. Ppl have no way of knowing that FC won't pull the plug tomorrow.
    2. Ppl have no way of knowing that FC won't make completely bat s*** crazy changes to the game, leaving it unplayable.
    3. 107 euros, or 140 ish dollar is probably more than some ppl can afford to soend on a game all at once.

So you go down to the store, the guy before you buys the same sixpack you are planning to. He pays six dollar for it.

Now it's your turn. The clerk asks for eight dollar. You go WTF! I want the same price as the other guy, why is he paying less? The clerk just stares right through you and ask for eight dollars.

Now the guy behind you in the queue tells you that you have a simple choice; pay eight dollar or go someplace else. Then he gets to pay six dollar for the same beer you paid eight for. The clerk just repeats eight dollar and never explains why you have to pay more.

Anyone think this would fly?

Actually I have a suggestion. Why don't we change the tables. Let's let americans pay 33% more than euros. Actually, make it 50% more expensive. You guys need to catch up.
    Let's carry that example further.
    It even works this way with a multinational corp like Coca-cola.

You are in brazil, you pay $0.80 for 1.25 litre bottle of Coca-cola.
    You are in USA, you pay $1.50 for 1.25 litre bottle of Coca-cola.
    You are in UK, you pay $2.50 for 1.25 litre bottle of Coca-cola.
    You are in Australia, you pay $4.50 for 1.25 litre bottle of Coca-cola.

All made by the same multinational company, which negotiates global rates at a very competitive wholesale cost, and logistics are trivial ie- ALMOST like digital distribution of a video game over the internet.

If I cannot afford Coca-cola, I can do without, and drink water. I don't write to Coca-cola or local politician and tell them we are going on a ragequit bender because we don't like the cost. If I can afford it, then it is a choice. Consumer Choice.

For me, when I cannot afford something, it usually means that I am overspending or living beyond my means. That's when credit come into play, and then plebs have the mistaken illusion that they can afford the luxury of xyz, when they really can't, and then financial system and society breaks down as a consequence.
    Shadow Ops
    Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
    They'll say we're disturbing the peace, but there is no peace. What really bothers them is that we are disturbing the war.
    Tired of little elves with bows? Fed up with spell-flinging goblins? Bored to death by the solitary world of linear games? Despair not. Freedom is on its way, and its name is Anarchy Online.
    Web: http://www.shadowops-online.org | Twitter: @ShadowOpsOnline | AO: Milestones & History

You know what, this is a good idea. I should write to Mercedez Benz and see if I can buy one down here in Australia for 20k or whatever it is people pay in Germany, instead of the 100k+ we have to pay for it here. ITS JUST NOT FAIR!
    Shadow Ops
    Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
    They'll say we're disturbing the peace, but there is no peace. What really bothers them is that we are disturbing the war.
    Tired of little elves with bows? Fed up with spell-flinging goblins? Bored to death by the solitary world of linear games? Despair not. Freedom is on its way, and its name is Anarchy Online.
    Web: http://www.shadowops-online.org | Twitter: @ShadowOpsOnline | AO: Milestones & History

I can not say why there is a difference in price, although perhaps exchange rates or out of country taxes that need to be paid or tariffs for international commerce.

I know that certain banks charge a fee to process payments out of the country in US also. Similar to western union having different charge for sending or receiving money from different countries. Example $3.00 charge for money sent to Canada from US, $5.00 charge for money sent to Mexico from US. Maybe the FC payment centers have an additional charge for euro country payments, or extra charge for exchange rates from certain countries. I do not know for certain. I would like to say it makes sense that one of those ideas fits. Perhaps you are charged the highest exchange rate for the country with the lowest economy in the EU? That's the best idea I can give on the subject.

***EDIT or possibly what Mastura said
    Last edited by Psikie; Aug 29th, 2013 at 01:45:10.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

PS, the only REAL comparatives that anyone should be using here is for OTHER MMO's. None of this other bullsh1t being spouted about meals etc imo.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Mastura View Post
    You know what, this is a good idea. I should write to Mercedez Benz and see if I can buy one down here in Australia for 20k or whatever it is people pay in Germany, instead of the 100k+ we have to pay for it here. ITS JUST NOT FAIR!
    Hey, I'm in aus too.

And I can confirm the $4.50 cokes.

I can also confirm that the stroller/pram we bought a year ago was $400 more in Australia than US (we bought in USA and shipped over, saving us over $300).

I can also confirm that toothpaste is more expensive in Australia (roughly 50% more at least, and even upwards of 300% more in some cases, than most supermarkets/bulk chains in Canada/US).

I can also confirm that rent is roughly the same in Brisbane and Vancouver in the nicer neighborhoods of each city.

The last thing that drives me a bit nuts but I can also confirm is that the price of computers in Australia are about 50% to 150% the price of a similar machine in Canada/US.

I am convinced that pricing of all sorts of stuff is just different and there isn't much I can do about it.

But, what I can do is say hey fellow Aussie, want to hang in game? I got so few peeps to play with so I'm always looking for more... (see sig)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    PS, the only REAL comparatives that anyone should be using here is for OTHER MMO's. None of this other bullsh1t being spouted about meals etc imo.
    Comparing AO to other games is spouting bull imo. Actually the only thing that matters is what someone can or is willing to pay for AO. Comparing it to other games makes no difference other than to say it is your choice to play AO or some other game.

Trying to compare AO to other games is subjective at best and a personal opinion based on your likes and dislikes in a game. I would be willing to pay a lot for a multiplayer version of Master of Magic or updated Master of Orion. But that is a personal choice that some people might not even play those games for free.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast