Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: AOItems.com - Anarchy Online Items Database!

AOItems updated to patch 18.6.10! This update should also fix the aforementioned bug with item search.

2013-11-04
    • Search Module:
      • Fulltext search now removes stray hyphens (-) when not embedded in quotes.
      • Fulltext search now supports words which are 2 letters or more. (alphanumeric only. FT keywords supported, other special characters treated as whitespace)
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 5th, 2013 at 01:59:17.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Berry Berry Nice!

*Grabs popcorn*

ROUND 1: Demoder vs. Google Keyword Searches DINGDING
    Shadow Ops
    Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
    They'll say we're disturbing the peace, but there is no peace. What really bothers them is that we are disturbing the war.
    Tired of little elves with bows? Fed up with spell-flinging goblins? Bored to death by the solitary world of linear games? Despair not. Freedom is on its way, and its name is Anarchy Online.
    Web: http://www.shadowops-online.org | Twitter: @ShadowOpsOnline | AO: Milestones & History

Quote Originally Posted by Cariadast View Post
    I do wish Auno would update his site. Thank you for your attempt though Demoder.
    Auno is good because it has a nice balance of design + engineering. Most programmers only really specialize in the software engineering department (such as AOItems + Xyphos). AOItems would greatly benefit from someone willing to offer their design services, since Demoder seems to have the rest of it down pat.

Veev, are you saying auno has a superior design?

I would agree if you're comparing auno and xyphos, but aoitems?

Just look at the nano listings.

As far as I can tell, aoitems is far superior in the design aspect.

It is missing some tools that auno has, but that's about it.

It would be appreciated if people could provide concrete feedback on design, as the statement "site X looks better" doesn't really tell me much.

What should be done differently? Why doesn't the current design choice work? What exactly is site X doing better? Why? etc.
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 5th, 2013 at 12:33:38.
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

An idea just popped in.

I've been going over the Advy nano list and for each nano you display the skill needed to cast. I used auno for a similar purpose and check which skill I didn't need to IP. e.g.

http://auno.org/ao/nanos.php?prof=bureaucrat
    And if you scroll down you notice that the MM skill isn't needed in any of the mentioned nano's
    Ergo: don't IP it

So how about in the the top header mentioning the sum if you have all nano's and which skill (and the amount) you would need to use em all (this will automatically show what you don't need as well)...

For an Advy it would be something like this:

(Somewhere next to the related tool // perks)

Advy @ 220: MM: 1843 BM: 1843 PM: 784 MC: 1244 TS: 0 SI: 1834
    Last edited by Zwelgje; Nov 5th, 2013 at 13:14:55.

Imho I'd make the first view/page abit less listy (if that's even a word). (We get redirected to the history (in full) atm.)

I would devide a welcome screen it into 3 section.

1) Perhaps a semi blog update what you've been up to and new stuff (I like stuff like that )
    2) Lastest Patch/ Update // the important stuff in that patch - click to see the full ist
    3) Last 10 patches -> click to see the full list (go to history).

Keep it up !

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    What should be done differently? Why doesn't the current design choice work? What exactly is site X doing better? Why? etc.
    I like the overall design, it has a simplicity to it. I question the default page being the patch history rather than the search, but I understand the choice for now given that the search is such a small form. If you implement a more detailed search form (ala Xyphos and to a lesser extent Auno) it would probably be better to default to that. I can see that you're kind of going for your own version of what Xyphos and Auno have, a blog with updates, but you instead post your updates here. One or the other I guess is what I'm saying.

Also, the Nanos link at the top of the perk explorer page just re-links to the perk explorer page.

I forgot, is there ever going to be an equip config in the future? If not should we figure out how someone could make one and perhaps integrate data from your site to save time? This could be one of the biggest gaps remaining in terms of resources for the AO community.
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

One thing I miss here is ability to search for items without knowing their names.

Auno has such option so I can search for example every item that adds to agility or pistol ...

It would be very usefull for twinking purposes and if you ever decide to do it you can do it even better than Auno.

There are few things to improve in such search engine:
    1. Either ignore all items/nanos/perks etc. that can only be used by monsters or GMs/ARKs or add a checkobx "do you want to see items that you will not be able to use?"
    2. Add option to enter level of your character so there will be no items that are level locked to higher level that your character in search result
    3. Allow multiple choices of slots for which you search an item so it would be possible to search for item adding to XXX skill and equipable in for example left finger, chest, neck, and HUD1 - this will be very usefull when you already have some items equipped and look for few more points of certain skill and only have few slots to play with.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

It would be appreciated if people could provide concrete feedback on design, as the statement "site X looks better" doesn't really tell me much.

I'm not a designer by nature so it's difficult for me to say. It's not so much the layout that is lacking, just the colors, textures, etc. E.g., compare these two pages and tell me which looks better: Wowhead, Xyphos. One has clearly been designed with careful thought put into colors, round edges, compact view, etc. There's no one thing that I can point to and say is lacking or anything (and I certainly couldn't do a better job myself), I was just pointing out that Auno has a little more thought put into its aesthetics, which may seem pointless when you're just trying to find out info about an item, but it does go a long way into helping people adopt the site.

But that aside, I see "Abilities NCU - Type 3F (6/6)" is pulling up search results now, but noticed that "De'Valos Sleeves" aren't. Also, it would be nice when you click an item from the search results, that it defaults to the max QL instead of QL 1. I notice myself always having to adjust the QL slider for most items I'm looking up.

Interesting. I use wowhead because its (in my opinion) the best information source that exists on WoW items. Honestly, I can't stand the way it looks. I don't need bright colors and shiny stuff to convince me to use a site. What I need is information.. plain and simple. The wowhead search is annoying as heck to use and this is coming from someone that kept the page up at all times. It didn't feel intuitive to me, probably because I was used to using auno by the time I hardcore got into WoW last year. Eventually, however, I got used to it and really didn't care one way or the other regarding how it looked.

That brings me to a point... aesthetics is a matter of personal preference moreso than anything else AND after enough use, you'll get used to anything. I used to hate auno in comparison to my favored AO Mainframe. After awhile I got used to and loved auno (most of it). Then xyphos came out and I went through the same thing.. HATED it.. but now I find it to be great tool (especially the search). The only change that has occurred, fansite wise, that I haven't adjusted to and has resulted in me not using it much is AO-Universe.

Anyway...

I look at aoitems.com's (nano listing, for example) and yeah, I don't see pretty colors and formatting. It is a very functional page. That being said, I don't go to an online items database because I want to shades of colors, flowers and unicorns (silvertails.. whatever). I go because I'm twinking and I want information. I want to be able to get the info I need and sort it/parse it in a simple/efficient manner, plain and simple.

I think the look of aoitems.com goes exactly with the high-tech, numbers driven, no nonsense nature of Anarchy Online. Twinking is serious business afterall I can see the full nano listing in a much more condensed manner, I can sort the columns.. they are properly categorized... BINGO.. job well done to me. I hope Demoder doesn't add nonsense formatting that's going to cause me to have to scroll through extra pages to get information. I don't need to be hand held through searching a database.. people are always talking about 'dumbing things down'. Let's not, ok? I can't stand bright colors and stuff that looks like its more appropriate for an 8 yr old than an adult.

I do love the way that xyphos breaks out item searches so that you have tabs for every different item type versus auno's setup which is just messy and inconvenient. Hopefully when Demoder expands the functionality she goes more towards the xyphos model.

Edit:

Some things I'd LOVE to see if you ever get around to it and/or find it worth your time.

- On the nano listing it would be great if there were a checkbox that would allow you to add that nano to a list then the ability to click a button and get just the list of nanos that were selected.
    - A listing of SL nanos by garden (covering all nanos.. general and prof based)
    - A listing of SL nanos, by garden, for a specific profession
    Last edited by Traderjill; Nov 10th, 2013 at 22:09:43.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I'd argue that Wowhead replaced Thottbot purely because of its aesthetics.

function > form

I like aoitems quite a bit, compare the profession nano listings to other db. the nanos are sorted very well, better, at aoitems.

the links to auno are very good though, items (at auno) can have useful player comments that can sometimes be very very useful, answering questions and so on. it's not something that necessarily needs to be remade at aoitems, but linking to that information is good.

I wish there was a better search utility, in particular for weapons by special and type. or armor by stats.

EDIT BELOW

one thing that's helpful at auno though, I was looking at trader nanos, and yes they certainly are not sorted as well, but I can literally scroll through the entire screen at maximum speed and figure out that matmet is not important, and the matcre is of limited importance and that psymod and senseimp and timespace are paramount. I can do this because of how they present the information. there is a column for every nanoskill regardless of whether or not it is used. it makes scanning the page very very quick. and that is very helpful for an unfamiliar profession.

on the other hand it makes for kind of a giant bloated list. when looking for things and trying to separate out nanolines and understand what a profession is all about, aoitems is easier to read.
    Last edited by Morlund; Nov 11th, 2013 at 13:51:33.

I have to admit I was very impressed when I took first look on aoitems.com. It is clear, simple and intuitive to use. Nano listings are very well done but as others have mentioned, adding SL gardens would be nice bonus. Groups (both major groups such as 'Combat' and minor groups such as 'Healing') are done well, I like how nano listing separates for example different kind of heals (eg. 'target' or 'team') as groups under one minor group (in this case 'Healing'). I also like how you can fit so many nanos to such a small space by having more than just one group on screen side by side where possible (unlike auno.org where everything is just line after line until the bottom of the list).

It would be great if nano line listings, for example https://aoitems.com/nano/strain/12/, would have column added to which profession each nano belongs. I don't remember all fixer or doc short HoTs by their name or which profession they belong (although I can guess it based on nano cost -> more expensive is a fixer).

I like how individual item pages show slot where item belongs and there are also useful links to other pages. I like how page looks but I think few changes might be nice. Green color is nice to show beneficial bonuses of items but I noticed negative modifiers are also shown green, for example Withered Flesh reduces run speed and agility. Personally I think it would make it easier to notice negative modifiers if they were shown in another color, red would probably make sense since positive modifiers are in green. I noticed that weapons didn't have mbs, max beneficial skill, value shown, I'd like to know that when I'm checking weapons. At least those weapons which have mbs value since not all weapons have it.. Hopefully it will be there someday.

Search page is quite simple right now but I'm sure it will be better in future but right now it sure lacks some features..
    I have one suggestion for quick search. Would it be possible for quick search to prioritize search results based on which search result has been clicked most of time?
    What I mean is.. well, let me show example. When searching with word 'neleb' in quick search it shows this:

Weapon
    Neleb's Nightmare Battlerod
    Neleb's Notum Battlerod
    Armor
    Neleb's Nano-circuit Robe
    Neleb's Nano-master Robe
    Not Really The Eye of Neleb

but what I'd like to see is something like this:

Most often searched
    Neleb's Nano-master Robe
    Weapon
    Neleb's Nightmare Battlerod Neleb's Notum Battlerod
    Armor
    Neleb's Nano-circuit Robe
    Neleb's Nano-master Robe
    Not Really The Eye of Neleb

where 'most often searched' would show item that has been clicked most of time out of given search results. For example, if nightmare rod has 100 clicks, notum rod has 80 clicks, both robes have 50 clicks each and not eye has 5 clicks then 'most often searched' would be nightmare rod. Reason for this suggestion is similar to why YouTube shows video suggestions to users and why Google has 'I'm feeling lucky' button. General idea behind highlighting one item is that if many people have searched, and also found (& clicked), same item with similar searching criteria then there is also a chance that you are trying to find same item too.
    This would only be a nice bonus to current quick search, it's not end of the world if it doesn't happen. I do like ability to search in item descriptions though, thats actually quite great!

Last, but not the least, thing I'd like to say is actually a question. Even though aoitems.com is simpe and easy to use there was one thing I didn't quite understand. Why some perk lines are in green font color instead of black? What makes them different from those other perk lines? Have been thinking about this for a while and still can't figure it out...

tl;dr I really like aoitems.com, it looks awesome! Few things could still be improved..
    Mizufluffy (220/30/??) MA # Hopeasaukko (216/27/??) NT # Mustarotta (100/10/28) Crat
    Mustarotta's Foreman (Biomare) Service for Hire (unavailable)
    Some of my froobs on RK2: Neuzoire, Denzyr, Hinami, Hinachan, Zetblanc, Dalanope, Chenin, Reandway (I'm more active on characters with yellow name)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeasaukko View Post
    Last, but not the least, thing I'd like to say is actually a question. Even though aoitems.com is simpe and easy to use there was one thing I didn't quite understand. Why some perk lines are in green font color instead of black? What makes them different from those other perk lines? Have been thinking about this for a while and still can't figure it out...
    Because the perks from SL are black and the perks from AI are green in your perk window in the game?
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeasaukko View Post
    It would be great if nano line listings, for example https://aoitems.com/nano/strain/12/, would have column added to which profession each nano belongs. I don't remember all fixer or doc short HoTs by their name or which profession they belong (although I can guess it based on nano cost -> more expensive is a fixer).
    I miss a way to sort the table by "stacking order". The table is sorted initially by it but as soon as you have sorted by another criteria you cannot go back to it.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone - keep it coming! I'm taking notes for future use.

However, I've been quite busy lately, and it doesn't look like I'll be any less busy anytime soon. Unfortunately, this means I will likely not get to do any major updates (such as the new search feature) until next year.

alfora: You can reset the sort order by clicking some arbitary columns sort button, then ctrl-clicking it. ctrl-clicking a sort button un-selects it. I'll be looking into making a more obvious way of achieving this, though.

alfora: You can reset the sort order by clicking some arbitary columns sort button, then ctrl-clicking it. ctrl-clicking a sort button un-selects it. I'll be looking into making a more obvious way of achieving this, though.
    Ah, I see.

Just let the user click through all three states of the buttons:
    • arrow up (low to high values)
    • arrow down (high to low values)
    • arrow up and down (unsorted)

If every column is "unsorted" then the table reverts to it's initial state, which is "sorted by nanoline".

I noticed xyphos is finally gone
    I tried to search for items on specific effect, on specific slot with auno and it was nightmare compared to xyphos
    In the subway goes the keepers

I just noticed something probably relatively simple lacking on item page.

For weapons the MBS should be visible. I think there is room under Martial Arts stat.

In my mind it's somewhat important stat for weapons.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast