Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Graphics glitches

Angry had glitches after win8.0 -> win8.1

So after reading all the previous posts (not so many), I just downloaded the new installation files and reinstalled AO in a different directory. And the new installation works fine :-)
    But the old one still is unplayable :-(

So my ultimate question: where are those old prefs hidden ? I don't want to start changing key prefs and renaming backpacks for the x-th time !!!

\users\username\appdata\local\funcom\anarchy online

Talking it works !

Thanks, if you live close to Belgium, come along, you'll get a kiss !!!

Unhappy cried victory to soon

It is perfect on newbie island and on the jobe platform, but once I get in other area's, it still isn't ok. Some bars disappear from time to time, and that makes using perks very hard... Even selling stuff is difficult. I can live with the ground that turns into water, but I hope that new engine comes very soon... No fun this way.

(yes I turned down everything to 16 bit, disabled effects, distance to 0, got the latest drivers and so on...)
    Last edited by Asperine; Apr 26th, 2014 at 08:36:52. Reason: grammar error

As I said before, the problem is the latest drivers.
    Use older drivers and it wont be any problem.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Set everything to 16 bit. Textures, color depth, and don't forget to make sure the resolution is set to ####x####x16 as well. That eliminates the red grids - some ground textures will still drop out occasionally, but overall it becomes playable.

Source: Working on Dell Venue 8 Pro and my wife's Macbook.

Edit: Assuming this fix works for some/most Intel GFX users, a sticky with this fix would be a good idea.

I have a Dell Inspirion 2350 AIO, with an Intel 4600 HD graphics, and this worked well for me, thanks, and yes, there is still ground dropout, but its a small matter.
    [CLAN] PANTHEON IS RECRUITING!

:: Redjohn :: 220/14 :: Clan :: Atrox :: Keeper ::

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Set everything to 16 bit. Textures, color depth, and don't forget to make sure the resolution is set to ####x####x16 as well. That eliminates the red grids - some ground textures will still drop out occasionally, but overall it becomes playable.

Source: Working on Dell Venue 8 Pro and my wife's Macbook.

Edit: Assuming this fix works for some/most Intel GFX users, a sticky with this fix would be a good idea.

What resolution is that since it doesn't show there. I am having the same graphics issues. I tried downgrading the graphics card and it fixed the graphics but slowed the mouse movement down so it would really be impossible to play. Thank you

Heya all

I have the same problem with the ground and the red web, and other stuff after i update for win8.1 in my laptop. In my desktop with win7 works perfect. After a few hours reading and testing all the methods with no result i can fix that. Now works just fine.

So, the solution to my problem (and i hope it can help you too):

Right click on the anarhcy online.exe
    Then properties
    Go to the compatibility tab
    In the section Compatibility Mode i choose Windows 7
    When i open the game allways choose the best graphic card you got, never the intel hd XXXX

The problem is gone for me. Now it works fine =)

I hope this can fix the game, and never be with this problems anymore... if i get some other problem i will post =)

Best regards,
    EdCreator

thank you so much Edcreator and others here , i will try this tonight!

Dont forget that the most importante part is opening the game cliking on right click and open with your best graphic card =)

Then tell us if yu can solve the problem =)

I had the same issues, but found a fix after sifting through the various suggestions in this thread.

I run AO on a laptop with a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M graphics card, and it's nVIDIA's Optimus tech that brought me into trouble. For those who don't know, the Optimus tech is auto-swapping between your graphics card and the much less advanced graphics that is integrated in your motherboard, all to save on your battery when not running games. When a game starts up, it switches to your high-end graphics card.

But not for AO.

Suggested fix (for nVIDIA users):
    1. Select your best graphic card in the AO settings
    2. Right click your desktop
    3. Select NVIDIA Control Panel
    4. Manage 3D settings
    5. Preferred graphics processor: High-performance NVIDA processor
    6. Run the game.

Did it work? If so, go back to the 3D manager and set it back to Auto select. You can make your computer always choose high performance for AO, and this is how:
    1. Repeat 2-4 from above
    2. Select Program Settings tab
    3. Click Add
    4. Browse your AO directory folder and choose the anarchyonline.exe
    5. In the 1. Select a program to customize dropdown: find AO
    6. In the 2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program dropdown: select High-performance NVIDIA processor
    7. Run game.

Did it not work? I feel for you, really. Funcom should fix this issue so that everyone can enjoy the game they love and pay for.

Cheers!

Specs:
    GeForce GTX 860M graphics card w/ 2GB GDDR5
    Intel Core™ i7-4710MQ processor 2.5GHz ~ 3.5GHz, 4 cores
    Intel 8 Series chipset
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz SO-DIMM RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I had the same issues, but found a fix after sifting through the various suggestions in this thread. I run AO on a laptop with a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M graphics card, and it's nVIDIA's Optimus tech that brought me into trouble. For those who don't know, the Optimus tech is auto-swapping between your graphics card and the much less advanced graphics that is integrated in your motherboard, all to save on your battery when not running games. When a game starts up, it switches to your high-end graphics card. But not for AO. Suggested fix (for nVIDIA users): 1. Select your best graphic card in the AO settings 2. Right click your desktop 3. Select NVIDIA Control Panel 4. Manage 3D settings 5. Preferred graphics processor: High-performance NVIDA processor 6. Run the game. Did it work? If so, go back to the 3D manager and set it back to Auto select. You can make your computer always choose high performance for AO, and this is how: 1. Repeat 2-4 from above 2. Select Program Settings tab 3. Click Add 4. Browse your AO directory folder and choose the anarchyonline.exe 5. In the 1. Select a program to customize dropdown: find AO 6. In the 2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program dropdown: select High-performance NVIDIA processor 7. Run game. Did it not work? I feel for you, really. Funcom should fix this issue so that everyone can enjoy the game they love and pay for. Cheers! Specs: GeForce GTX 860M graphics card w/ 2GB GDDR5 Intel Core™ i7-4710MQ processor 2.5GHz ~ 3.5GHz, 4 cores Intel 8 Series chipset 16GB DDR3 1600MHz SO-DIMM RAM
    What Windows version are you using? I have also 860m but this didn't help. Im on 8.1 64bit

Maybe this helps someone:
    I've had exactly the same glitches (no ground textures, red grids) when using Windows 8.1 and Intel HD 4000. Unfortunately my laptop does not have an other graphic card and all older drivers i tried also showed the same result. Also the workarounds mentioned in this thread did not help.

The latest version of the Intel HD driver (released yesterday, 08.01.15 - Version 10.18.10.4061) fixed all issues for me and the game is playable without any problems now!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    I should point out these cards ultimately fell victim to insufficient cooling.
    The SC2 main menu was just "very good" at taking all the performance it could get out of a GPU.

A well designed and properly programmed application that intentionally squeezes every last drop of performance out of a GPU would have had the same result.
    (For example the carnage of burned down laptops and cheap desktops as the result of people carelessly mining Litecoin with insufficient cooling)

As for OPs issue, playing through glitches caused by bad drivers is not harmful to the hardware, but may cause instabilities which may result in a bluescreen or degraded performance until you reboot.

Wrong! bad programming can overheat the GPU and start artefacts.

Quote Originally Posted by ByLogic View Post
    So can good programming with inadequate/insufficient cooling.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by ByLogic View Post
    Dear Zonax, IronMax, whatever nickname you go by these days,

Please refrain from digging up my post history to reply to posts you apparently are unable to understand.
    I in turn will refrain from replying to your senseless ramblings elsewhere on the forum.

I'd really appreciate it. Thank you,

Vhab
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Dear Zonax, IronMax, whatever nickname you go by these days,

Please refrain from digging up my post history to reply to posts you apparently are unable to understand.
    I in turn will refrain from replying to your senseless ramblings elsewhere on the forum.

I'd really appreciate it. Thank you,

Vhab
    Hehe this days i am not really here at the forum at all. but it was a "joy" to read your wrong statement.. We all know your spaghetti, none pattern code design style history + your pumped up fiction of being a professional coder. (if you want me to dig it up) And you don't tell me what to do, pretend to be a moderator again? Miss the job? Just go dig up any thing you think is relative to this thread, that would just make you very mature.

Well you seem to lack the knowledge what can happen to graphics card with really bad coding. The GPU is not the only part on a graphic card. I seen really good cards with good cooling system burn there buss transistor. If you still wonder how, I be happy to enlighten you.

ps. changing nicknames is a cool thing, maybe you should try it also? How about Rehab? I love my new nickname.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Jan 10th, 2015 at 17:11:25.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post
    So can good programming with inadequate/insufficient cooling.
    Absolutely. But that was not the case.
    Last edited by ByLogic; Jan 10th, 2015 at 16:03:46.

The problem with gfx glitches on new pc is the sm bus in north bridge chipset, but intell have builds the nb chipset into their cpu nowdays so to be fair this is partly intells fault.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Before any more wrong statements about applications(game) can damage your graphics card. The answer is simply Yes it can.

Facts:
    1. Can applications increase the heat of a graphic card = Yes
    2. Can applications send information to the graphic card, force it to do things it should not do by default settings? = Yes.
    3. Can applications force gpus to have it's activity up to 100% = Yes (you can turn of vsync and other limiters, skip buffers etc.)
    4. Will dramatic heating over long period of time lower the life span of the graphics card? Yes dramatically.

So this is the reason why you need a brain before doing graphic related development, specially in games where things have repeated use.

I still remember my very early game development experiment, many years ago. Where I made a old nvidia card (with good cooling) resonate like a flute from hell. That gpu is no longer with us. (it was not over-clocked), it was a force on a pipeline that made a chip controller to blow. Pixel shader 2 related to be specific.

That was a good experiment with a really good conclusion. There really is something you should not do..
    Last edited by ByLogic; Jan 10th, 2015 at 17:09:30.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast