Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Discussion on Roleplaying Game Mechanics

The other night whilst chatting the topic about Illegal goods on RK (SOL weapons, Miy’s armor ect) came up, and with the conversation the upcoming changes of removing the ability to reject inspect equipment.

Which lead to the question... "Is equipment inspecting a valid form of obtaining IC info on a character? " and "Will it still be after the changes?"

Well you would only be able to see the obvious. What their character is showing you they are wearing. again, i think you'll have to chalk this one up to game mechanic.

Another good one. Top of my head, right now I'm thinking social tab trumps:

• What you see is what you get
      If my character is wearing a thin t-shirt or a cropped top and a pair of jeans or shorts in social tab and this is what's visible, it isn't very logical that she'd be wearing a ton of heavy armour underneath, especially considering how obscenely bulky a lot of it is (Hello, Burden of Competence or OFAB MP back item). Then again, if I'm wearing a mix of social and equip tab, that's what you'd see.
    • Invisible is unequipped
      If my character is not actually, visibly carrying her bow, she's not carrying it. I consider weapons tucked away or holstered when not carried in hands (conveniently hidden by social tab - nice when things have been twinked on and you don't want to unequip to have a cup of coffee in your hand).
    • Unless it's covered, you see it
      We can only really see clothing and items that has a mesh or texture ingame. A lot of items don't have either, but they would still be visible to our characters. We should be able to spot if someone's wearing a wedding ring unless they're wearing gloves, though we wouldn't be able to see if they've got a tattoo on their arms if they're wearing a robe or coat.

It's a fine line. Some might consider a superficial surface scan would show all items including every single thing your character has equipped (I don't). Then again, perhaps it's more situational? I could be wearing one of these and ICly wear armour underneath. But if someone ICly points fingers and says "You're wearing Miy's armour, that's illegal on Rubi-Ka" and I'm visibly wearing a t-shirt and a pair of jeans, I'm gonna say something like "pfft, are you blind? I'm wearing these old rags, not armour!" If I wanted to wear contraband in character, I would wear it so you could see it, I think.

Interested in seeing what people think about this.
    Last edited by Tussa; Mar 15th, 2014 at 00:29:37. Reason: typos

I inspect out of bad habit, but I never considered it valid to get information you wouldn't otherwise get.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Pretty much what Tussa said. For roleplay purposes, what you see is what you get. I avoid slipping in 'scans' because there is way too much potential for metagaming by ppl who might then say they 'scanned' someone and determined they have such-and-such weapon/device/etc on them when the target of the scan had no intention of going that direction with the RP.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123