Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – 31st of January, 2014

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update – 31st of January, 2014

Hai 2u!

The development team has been working hard to finish a bug fix patch for the Closed Beta server this month, so a whole bunch of newly invited players get new bugs to find.

In the 18.7 branch, things are progressing nicely and we have spent some time making a few systems changes. The largest change we have made to the systems so far is removing Swimming and Map Navigation. Everyone will get all Rubi-Ka maps and all map upgrades, which will make navigation a lot easier for new players. Swim speed will be determined by the Run Speed skill that we plan to rename to Movement Speed.

I have moved all init debuffs into the same nanoline and ensured there is an actual difference between breakable and unbreakable init debuffs for Doctors. The init debuff change will allow us to create more difficult and engaging content in the future without giving npcs 100% resistance to init debuffs.

Meta-Physicist pet nanos will now cast higher level pets as your nanoskills improve, which reduces the amount of pet nanos needed. As a general rule in regards to the Systems Changes, we are trying to get the amount of nano programs down to a manageable number. The scale with nanoskill change will be the new design direction in future nano updates. So you can expect other pet nanos, nukes, heals and the like to get similar updates.

Keepers will get a new resurrection sickness removal nano and their health and nano regain aura will scale with the Bio. Metam. skill.

We have also reworked a few general perk lines to prevent players from leaving the NPE area prematurely.
    The Cartographer perk line will enable Shadowlands maps and the amount of perk actions from this line has been reduced to one. This perk action will scale down the recharge timer as you add more perks to this line.
    The Explorer perk line has gotten the Adventuring from the Cartographer perk line and most of the perk actions in this line have also been removed leaving one action that also scales. The Explorer perk line will add 100 points in the Regain XP Percentage stat.
    The Training Seminar perk line will get all the XP Modifier from the Explorer perk line ending up at a total of 22 % at max perk level.

Adventurer morphs will no longer be possible to cast on other players and Adventurers have gotten a few special nano programs to enhance each morph, making them more situational and engaging to play.

Shades will get a Spirit Siphon Nano program that they can steal monster spirits with on both Rubi-Ka and in the Shadowlands.

All of these changes are already on the beta server or will be patched out the with the next beta patch. We will certainly make more systems changes before the 18.7 patch hits the live dimension. If you want access to the closed beta to test the Systems Changes, NPE or the New Engine, don’t forget to sign up in your account pages.

I also want to inform you that we will enable the Valentines content from the 10th to the 24th of February. The content will be the same as last year, and you will be able to purchase exclusive valentines items from the Funcom Shop.

That’s it from me this month. Have fun!

- Genele

First!

Hmm, so how the XP regain is calculated again?

Also, it's kinda sad to see adv morphs going away...
    Last edited by Ekarona; Jan 31st, 2014 at 16:42:20.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I too am sad that Advy morphs will become self-only Will we still have our wolf bracer?

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Woot! Looks interesting changes!

Some interesting changes there!
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Interesting news yet somewhat lacking in fine details.
    The advy morph removal is "epic" and long over due. I once tried to get a friend to play ao I showed them a screenshot of 30 dogs fighting over a control tower and he said "WTF kind of garbage are you playing?" I won't miss them goodbye and good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Hai 2u!

TIf you want access to the closed beta to test the Systems Changes, NPE or the New Engine, don’t forget to sign up in your account pages.

- Genele
    Am I looking in the wrong places, I dont seem to find where to sign up for the beta?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Igelkotten View Post
    Am I looking in the wrong places, I dont seem to find where to sign up for the beta?
    When I checked my account pages, I found it on the left side menu:
    * Account
    ** Special Offers and Upgrades

Look interesting and logical so far:

Swiming - totally useless skill !

Map navigation - makes sense however that was one of the edges a good twink could have vs noobs especially in some zones with high map navig requirement.

The general idea of lowering the number of nanos and making them scalable to some nanoskill is logical, however I am afraid that this may cause some weird effects and lead to possible abuse/expliots if those algorithms are not done properly. It always should be more beneficial to use highest QL nano if you have enough nanoskills. Even now there are some weird cases when it pays off to use lower level snare, root or calm because it works better than higher one.

Pets - same problem but the idea that the same pet casted by someone with higher nanoskills should be stronger that the same pet casted with lower nanoskills is very good.

I am not so sure about all the recent changes and playing with XP bonus as powerleveling is already very easy and new players should be somehow forced to learn how to play their profession rather than get massive XP bonus easily.

As for advs morphs, the problem is a bit more complicated.
    I hate some [self censored] running around cites and morphing everybody with Pit Lizard (because it is "friendly nano") but at the same time when I play some other professions I sometime ask Adv for specific morph. The Ideal solution would be if adv morph nano created temporary item which lasts 1 min and can be traded to anybody who can use it to become morphed.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

I have moved all init debuffs into the same nanoline and ensured there is an actual difference between breakable and unbreakable init debuffs for Doctors. The init debuff change will allow us to create more difficult and engaging content in the future without giving npcs 100% resistance to init debuffs.

What happens to bureaucrats tapes and malaise ?
    And since the increase in MOBs inits when you found out there was an error in the coding or what it was that you fixed, how much will init-debuffs now affect most encounters ?

Keepers will get a new resurrection sickness removal nano and their health and nano regain aura will scale with the Bio. Metam. skill.
    Will the nano- and health-regain become one aura, or still divided in two ?

The Cartographer perk line will enable Shadowlands maps and the amount of perk actions from this line has been reduced to one. This perk action will scale down the recharge timer as you add more perks to this line.
    Will our veteran/ingameshop-bought SL-nano still be of any use ?

Adventurer morphs will no longer be possible to cast on other players
    I totally love this, as I have no adventurer on my accounts because of the morph-hate I feel. (Mostly towards that ****** wolf-morph)

Hai Genele.
    Last edited by Jihnna; Jan 31st, 2014 at 22:06:58. Reason: Feeling ignored.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

O_o Things are happening
    You can't say civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

I dont quite understand the decision for morphs to be self only. The aura the adventurer has boosts a team members defense rating while morphed (specifically wolf). Is this to make it so the game is harder? Will the aura work on non-morphed team members? Is the aura being removed?

Genele,

Anything been done about slow run speed at low levels? Or do players still run like grandpa when they first enter the world?
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Genele,

Anything been done about slow run speed at low levels? Or do players still run like grandpa when they first enter the world?
    Since we've been give the green flag on discussing the beta; from the patch notes for beta it is informed that new characters will start out with a 1 meter per second higher runspeed than before.
    Last edited by Jihnna; Jan 31st, 2014 at 19:01:54.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

The content will be the same as last year
    Sigh...
    I make it look easy, 'cause it is to me.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    Since we've been give the green flag on discussing the beta; from the patch notes for beta it is informed that new characters will start out with a 1 meter per second higher runspeed than before.
    The Beta participants have been given the green light to discuss the Systems Changes I mentioned in my monthly newsletter, nothing else. Keep that in mind.

I have encouraged the professionals to write more specific updates on these subjects so that we can keep the specific systems changes discussions in the profession forums. To avoid any violation of the NDA for the participants of the beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Genele,

I can confirm Jihnna's post, we have increased the Run Speed that new characters start out with in 18.7 by 1 meter/second.
    The maximum amount of actual running speed has not been increased as that would just cause more problems with getting accurate positions of players around you.
    Last edited by Genele; Jan 31st, 2014 at 19:05:19.

Dat Keeper Aura change has got me rubbing my nips in excitement

Some info on the future changes to other profs would be welcomed. Agent,fixer,etc. Are the old nanodocuments still valid in the slightest?

The Beta participants have been given the green light to discuss the Systems Changes I mentioned in my monthly newsletter, nothing else. Keep that in mind.
    Ah, sorry, my bad for not reading thoroughly.

Could you take some time to also respond to my post containing some questions directed towards todays newsletter ?
    Last edited by Jihnna; Jan 31st, 2014 at 19:32:13.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Concept of leveling pets is quite nice. The huge amount of pets and the cost of aquiring them makes things rather hard...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011121314 LastLast