Thread: Monthly Development Update - 28th February 2014

Actually you know what is really irking me about this conversation?

The fact people are worried about others looking down on you for your gear.

How about fixing the stupid pre-conceptions everyone has about certain profs first? You could be in full endgame gear and it wouldn't mean diddly because you were an MP/Trader/etc.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Actually you know what is really irking me about this conversation?

The fact people are worried about others looking down on you for your gear.

How about fixing the stupid pre-conceptions everyone has about certain profs first? You could be in full endgame gear and it wouldn't mean diddly because you were an MP/Trader/etc.
    I have no problem getting in teams with my MP and he's not geared to the hilt so I don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    I have no problem getting in teams with my MP and he's not geared to the hilt so I don't agree.
    You're the minority.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Even if you were at perfect end game gear on certain profs, you probably wouldn't have much luck... Which is an huge balance issue...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

You're the minority.
    In your opinion.

In your opinion.
    It's a well known and well established fact. It has been for many years.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

A good org and friends do not care about your gear. I ll give you 2 examples:

I have level 200 Crat who is extremely well twinked (for pvm), it cost me many hours of farming every single nodrop buffing item that I needed (biodome, HI, Pande etc...) and I am afraid that when some ppl see all QL300 armour (alien and Ofab) on level 200 Crat they may petition me ...

At the same time I am leveling another Crat (now level 218) that has a lot worse or even gimpy gear for his level (all goddess armour symbiants QL160-220, etc...) and if /when I put him on lft for inf missions (which I hardly ever do) I ll not get invite.... guess what? I do not care because even if I want to do missions on him I ll either get full team org/friends team or at least an orgmate or friend will be a roller and leader of team and in that case we get 4-5 ppl and he picks up random person from LFT. If that person inspect my Crat and do not like it then he/she is free to leave team or get kicked

"Farming bussines" is similar (most of the time org/friends) you farm with one character then you relog to alt that need looting

For me the only exception would be S7. I solo it quite a lot but sometimes I am ready to do few runs with "business partner" because soloing takes 45-60 min per run and with good DD to help it takes 15-20 min. Because 2 people can do it 3 times faster it is beneficiary for both of us.

I can teach explain to anybody what to do inside but I can not make him twink or good DD if he has crappy gear. I can not keep him alive as I am not a Doctor. From this point of view an option to inspect my "potential business partner" is a very good thing because I will be able to evaluate his chances of survival as well as his DD.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

The only thing I care about with my teams, is do you know wtf you are doing? Can you be 'present' during times of critical teamwork.

If the answer is yes, then by all means welcome aboard.
    If the answer is no, you're part of the problem.

Maybe its because I play with really good people, and don't play with really crappy ones. But, there is a reason why a meta exists, and those that do not follow it are going to be left behind whether I like it or not.

So yes, its a community issue. A good org/friendly team can be ideal in all situations, but without these sort of insurances the ratio of pass to fail is much much higher.

Right now the community suffers from a misunderstanding that traders and MP's and to a certain extent certain other profs suffer from a PVM balance issue. The reasons are many, and varied, but they exist. Whether or not we can agree or disagree doesn't stop them from happening. Even if less than 1% of people who actively play this game are on the forums, then lets consider the class of person who actively posts for the actual progression of their chosen prof. I've led and followed in raids and teams with primarily people who post here. Those who do not care, won't bother to post. Therefore, can their input be considered valuable at large? You gotta put something in before you get something out. This is something thats just true about life in general.
    Last edited by Towerblock; Mar 18th, 2014 at 17:38:40.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I don't think opening inspect is going to be that big of a deal. It won't show anything you can't figure out from some educated guessing and a look at the damage logs. You can tell a lot just from the weapon someone has on (would it take serious gear to twink it on? are they using totw 1hbs? S7 weapons?), what level their pets are, you can also see their AI level which says a lot about how much time they've spent at kitehill, etc.

Also, opening inspect won't show you what research they have done, what nanos they've uploaded, whether their perk setup is sane, whether they know how to use their toolset, etc. In other words, what it shows you, you already know to a fair extent, and what it doesn't show you could make all the difference.

Out of the years of having inspect open on all of my toons, only once have I ever been hounded about having a piece of gear out of date (still had a 5 slot belt on a TL7 shade, though I had no need of a recompiler and never ran out of NCU), and that was fixed with an easy /ignore.

Opening NCU seems like a more serious problem for PvP but it also seems like a fait accompli so people will just have to adjust.

The other changes we will just have to see in practice in order to gauge.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

In your opinion.
    In the history of having my Trader (Traderjill), the only group that welcomed her to raids was Towerblock's org, Steadfast. That type of 'omg trader's are useless' attitude is what caused me to create Events by Jill in the first place (for anyone that remembers).

Even with 'name recognition' from my posting on the forums, raid hosting, etc. last time I logged in game I still couldn't get a team on my Trader and she's well geared in a crit setup and can produce rather good damage. And that's coupled with the fact that in some cases I would specifically state "I don't need anything, just bored". If I do contact someone about joining a team they always want to know what toon I'm bringing (in other words.. not the Trader). This applies to friends (most of which are snobs anyway so I already know the deal with them.. bring 'something useful') and orgmates.

So yeah, if I can't get a team on my trader I'm somehow not thinking that some new unknown guy is swimming in team invites on theirs. I'd go as far as to say that I've gotten more invites and felt more welcomed on my MP than my Trader and honestly, when I'm making teams I can't say that I'm any different than the folks I encounter. I generally don't invite MP's, Traders, Agents (I have a personal loathing for agents but that goes back to being a doc in old Ely teams), unknown Shades, unknown Engies.. its just too much of a mixed bag and from my old experiences just seemed like you were more likely to get someone that completely sucked than not.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Mar 18th, 2014 at 19:04:20.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
    Right now the community suffers from a misunderstanding that traders and MP's and to a certain extent certain other profs suffer from a PVM balance issue.
    This +1. My first 220 was my MP and although I never personally had any trouble getting teams I understand the view.

I think the mindset is one of convienance more than anything with team building. I for one have always looked for ways to have synergy with team builds and not just the standard enf/sol/crat/doc.

Being one of the few people that have ever done unorthodox raids such as all pet class teams. Or all agent teams. I know the value of good players versus prefered profs.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Now you are just trolling.
    Pot, meet kettle.

You could be in full endgame gear and it wouldn't mean diddly because you were an MP

You can judge for yourself how geared I am, and I only get into groups with org/raid bots. Either you're rolling natural 20s for PUG invites or you're misinterpreting the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I generally don't invite MP's
    It's true. I'd consider her my friend and she doesn't invite me!

The problem with open inspect and seeing someone's NCU, is a PvPer immediately knows his target's stats.

Also, it won't matter for PvM teams.
    I've been in teams on my MA using xp pistols, and on my adv running fists, and other more retarded stuff than you can imagine, and had zero problems with my team members because lololMA/AdvyOPdps.

The lovechilds will still solo content or get team invites, and the lower-rungs will still be ignored except by friends.

Bleh.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    With an attitude like that, I'm glad you have no say in policy, and hopefully I don't know you ingame either...

P.S Someone remind me how to ignore someone on the forums, I've only done it once but this sort of thing I can do without hearing. Thanks.

Edit. Never mind, worked it out...
    You think I'm trolling, because I say things you don't like to hear? I'm just not afraid to say what everyone is thinking anyway.

Someone talked about reputation, lolol.
    Reputation means nothing unless you are bad, then it means you rot on LFT with the other scrubs.

Its gear 1st, creds 2nd, skill 3rd. Same thing in every MMO.
    If you got none of it, you shouldn't be playing. Tough but true!
    I got gear, creds and skill. That's why I'm in a good org and get teams whenever I want.

Jeez, now they are whining about the bloody professions too. Yup MP sux, agent sux, trader sux. So?
    Play a good class then! FC made the game so damn easy, it takes like 2 weeks to make a 220, 4 if you are slow.

Just for the record, I don't care if people like me. Nice gets you nada online.
    Hehe I take that back, bet some sicko cybered himself into some loot.

Really, AO has become so backwards it makes me wanna puke.
    Instead of being big babies, the community should toughen up and don't tolerate losers.

It's a good thing if inspect can help with that, hurry up FC!
    Last edited by Geriatric; Mar 19th, 2014 at 07:05:43. Reason: .
    R.I.P. Arvandor 2005
    R.I.P. Oyat 2007
    R.I.P. Okanuke 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Geriatric View Post

Its gear 1st, creds 2nd, skill 3rd. Same thing in every MMO.
    If you got none of it, you shouldn't be playing. Tough but true!
    I got gear, creds and skill. That's why I'm in a good org and get teams whenever I want.
    I think you got your causation sequence borked.

In the history of having my Trader (Traderjill), the only group that welcomed her to raids was Towerblock's org, Steadfast. That type of 'omg trader's are useless' attitude is what caused me to create Events by Jill in the first place (for anyone that remembers).

Even with 'name recognition' from my posting on the forums, raid hosting, etc. last time I logged in game I still couldn't get a team on my Trader and she's well geared in a crit setup and can produce rather good damage. And that's coupled with the fact that in some cases I would specifically state "I don't need anything, just bored". If I do contact someone about joining a team they always want to know what toon I'm bringing (in other words.. not the Trader). This applies to friends (most of which are snobs anyway so I already know the deal with them.. bring 'something useful') and orgmates.

So yeah, if I can't get a team on my trader I'm somehow not thinking that some new unknown guy is swimming in team invites on theirs. I'd go as far as to say that I've gotten more invites and felt more welcomed on my MP than my Trader and honestly, when I'm making teams I can't say that I'm any different than the folks I encounter. I generally don't invite MP's, Traders, Agents (I have a personal loathing for agents but that goes back to being a doc in old Ely teams), unknown Shades, unknown Engies.. its just too much of a mixed bag and from my old experiences just seemed like you were more likely to get someone that completely sucked than not.
    You were always welcome in my teams, I always like traders in the team, they're a much underestimated team player...

You can start with the Drains. If the mobs don't hit as hard, what's not to like?
    Follow that with AC debuffs. If the mobs die faster, what's not to like?
    Add in Umbrals. If YOU do more damage, what's not to like?
    Still can't land your debuffs? They have NR debuffs to let you get yours in, what's not to like?
    They can make themselves squishier by giving the team and tank some of their ACs, what's not to like?
    If there's a bad pull. They have mezzes! What's not to like?

Seriously, what's not to like??? lol.
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    I think you got your causation sequence borked.
    I got nothing borked, genius.

MMO god in carb armor? Mad skillz in medsuit? Lol, still scrub!
    Gear first, skills decide later if you are good or just average.

I got a good org after I worked my butt off like 10 yrs ago.
    But org helps ofc, as long as org has standards and doesn't accept every loser.
    R.I.P. Arvandor 2005
    R.I.P. Oyat 2007
    R.I.P. Okanuke 2008

32 pages and not a single Dev comment? i really wonder why anyone is still posting here, i think the only FC Employee reading this thread is Anarrina and she probably has a migraine by now
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    32 pages and not a single Dev comment? i really wonder why anyone is still posting here, i think the only FC Employee reading this thread is Anarrina and she probably has a migraine by now
    So true. In my mind - They have their "vision" of what AO should be and they have our money (their paycheck). What does it matter how we feel? Why should they bother with us? We get what they want to give us when they want to give it. No discussion needed.
    ***My attention may be easy to get, but can you hold it?***

Cool

Agreed my trader is not very popular at all and my agent is even less desirable even though my MP does get invites for teams. It seems the agent and trader in this game are around in most cases for buffing others. Traders in demand for TS'ing and wrangles agents to cast ES and FG. going one step further in this the agent then is the most useless prof in game, not good in teams and only casts 2 buffs. FC please give the agent some love!

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast