Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 28th February 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Winning View Post
    PVM just got alot more easier with deflect. Removing apoc. rings takes away a tool people have worked for to gain an advantage. Shade sneaking is just somebody throwing ideas who hasnt played the game.
    Does shades have any need to sneak while in combat? Don't they already have pretty sufficient damage and evades?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post

- All Signet of the apocalypse rings will no longer have a special action, because of this change, a few nano changes have been made:
    • Enforcers, Keepers and Shades will get a root removal nano.
    • Adventurers have gotten all their mezz nano formulas revamped. The Rubi-Ka mezz will be a proper mezz when the adventurer is in the leet form. The AoE mezz will remain a tool to pull enemies with, and can only be used on monsters who are not attacking the adventurer. However, if other monsters in the vicinity of this monster are attacking you, they will get their aggro list wiped.
    • Enforcers will get a Charge nano, which will stun their target while the enforcer sprints to it.
    • Shades will get the ability to hide in the middle of combat.

Joel Bylos
    1) Just to re-quote this one, as I had the same question:

Quote Originally Posted by ultion View Post
    Why can't agents hide in the middle of combat if shades can? Agents were the master of conceal long before shade came to be.
    Shades are already pretty powerful, this re-sneak fits agents better.

2) Do enforcers REALLY need another stun, and root removal? Doesn't rage clear most roots?

3) Adventurers become a mezzing class?! Cool!

4) Agents, NTs, Traders and MAs aren't mentioned there. More nano-changes to follow I hope?

Cheers.
    'Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.'

Fhinn, TL7 Neutral Gunslinger // Countinn, TL5 Neutral Trader
    Sleekitt TL5 Clan Fixer

Shattered Dreams, of ye olde RK2 Recruitment thread

- We will disable the ability to decline inspects. We fully expect this to lead to an increase in the number of exploit reports that we receive and a decrease in the actual exploiting.
    This is just an excuse to let those too elite to play with the poor people a reason to not let them into teams untill they've been inspected. A real "you're equipment isn't good enough for us, get lost"...

I'm against this as strongly now as I was when we were told it would be implemented in the first place, FC only quieted the row then by adding the ability to block people inspecting you whenever they feel like it.

Come on FC, don't implement this, let us keep some privacy...
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Wow. Swing it and miss, FC.

Enforcer charge?
    Seriously? Buff them even more? Here's what you SHOULD do with enfs if you really want to balance the game:
    - remove their fear nano
    - add a -2k 1hb skill to the 1he perk line (and vice versa)

Deflecting
    Intressting. What are its' reqs?
    - Must be keeper?
    or
    - Must have weapon with parry/deflection availible (add it to the parry sticks!)
    Otherwise I think it would very OP on certain profs..

Shade re-sneak
    Depending on how you implement this, this could be a nice change, or a terrible one. How you should do it:
    - Players & Monsters already attacking the shade, should have no problems to keeper attacking the shade.
    - Players & Monsters who are not attacking the shade, should not be able to see/target the shade.
    - If the shade uses an attack or perk, the sneak will break.
    - The shade can use Sneak attack on their target again, even if the monster is currently attacking the shade - as long as the shades' concealment is higher than the monsters perception.
    Basically wouldn't change much (anything) in pvp, but would allow the shade to use sneak attack when soloing inf dynas. Not needed. But not game changing/breaking either..
    Last edited by Qualto; Mar 1st, 2014 at 16:00:26.
    220/30 doc [E]
    220/30 crat [E]
    220/30 shade [E]
    158/21 trader [E]
    117/13 agent [E]
    56/6 trader [E]
    30/3 enforcer [E]

Having thought about this for a little while, I've come up with an alternative to throwing inspect wide open.
    As I see it, this ability would be used more for PvP, so:
    Continue to allow inspect to be disabled for those who wish it, but force inspect open when a character is flagged or in an open land control area. Those of us that don't want to PvP or in my case detest PvP can keep our privacy
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    Having thought about this for a little while, I've come up with an alternative to throwing inspect wide open.
    Continue to allow inspect to be disabled for those who wish it, but force inspect open when a character is flagged or in an open land control area. Those of us that don't want to PvP or in my case detest PvP can keep our privacy
    The best solution is = if pvp.flag == true inspection == false || also if faction != faction.self

So pvmers can sploit all they want while pvpers can't? What exactly is the reasoning behind that, if any?

realy why are so many so angry about the inspect always on ?.
    You fear that a oponent will sit Down. . look at every single item. for then to calculate exatly how much Hp Aad AAo ++ you have from you gear ?
    They cant see what you have ready for hotswap.
    They cant see what you have of stims + clickys ready.
    They dont know what skills you put IP into and how much.

What they can see though. is if you have some proff locked gear on a wrong toon.
    Or gear that are not even in game or multible uniqs of same type..
    Remember folks . Often its the crook that cryes out the most about injustment.

And also remember this..
    All those changes . They are not hitting live nor are they hitting Test live this week or this month .. hell they might not even get that fare.
    They are going on Closed Beta for the engine at first.
    So let those that are testing there figur out exatly how bad thise Things are.
    and lets hope that those that are on CB report the exploits they find and get Things sortet out probberly.

So stop crying.. go whipe you eyes and have a candybar and a class of milk. (or some tofu )
    There are alot of Things Devs can fix in a game..
    But they cant fix the Bug that couse 90% of all bad Things in a game.
    And that be the big bad bug of the players brain not working probber.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualto View Post
    Enforcer charge?
    Seriously? Buff them even more? Here's what you SHOULD do with enfs if you really want to balance the game:
    - remove their fear nano
    - add a -2k 1hb skill to the 1he perk line (and vice versa)
    Actually wouldnt it be better to just make the first perkpoint spent in either perkline dissallow to spend perkpoints in the other line? Specifically putting -2k in either skill would make the multi wield impossible, i dont see that as a fair idea.
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstriker View Post
    realy why are so many so angry about the inspect always on ?.
    You fear that a oponent will sit Down. . look at every single item. for then to calculate exatly how much Hp Aad AAo ++ you have from you gear ?
    They cant see what you have ready for hotswap.
    They cant see what you have of stims + clickys ready.
    They dont know what skills you put IP into and how much.

What they can see though. is if you have some proff locked gear on a wrong toon.
    Or gear that are not even in game or multible uniqs of same type..
    Remember folks . Often its the crook that cryes out the most about injustment.

And also remember this..
    All those changes . They are not hitting live nor are they hitting Test live this week or this month .. hell they might not even get that fare.
    They are going on Closed Beta for the engine at first.
    So let those that are testing there figur out exatly how bad thise Things are.
    and lets hope that those that are on CB report the exploits they find and get Things sortet out probberly.

So stop crying.. go whipe you eyes and have a candybar and a class of milk. (or some tofu )
    Multiple people have already said they'd be fine with GMs inspecting them, at any time. I have no probs with GM checking all my toons right now - or if they have backups saved, any point in history for that matter. But thing is, especially in twink pvp, you are facing the same people a lot. Knowing what the other guy has equipped will give a huge advantage. And hotswapping barely happens on twinks.

Enforcers will get a Charge nano, which will stun their target while the enforcer sprints to it.

Keepers will get their reversed knockback to tractor enemies to their location.
    It would probably make more sense (and be more balanced) if enforcer got 'reverse knockback' (while losing the fear) since it already does pvm-taunt and got enough stuns, and then give the Charge nano to keeper cause they could use it.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    I will really, REALLY miss having Enough is Enough though, it makes soloing a little more interesting and let's me know which doctors/teammates are awake.
    Pretty good, not sure how appropiate it was to give that kind of effect to enfo tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    1. Account wide GMI/banks.
    yeah, or 'assign nodrop-loot to a bank' and then the charracter who takes it from the bank gets it 4ever.

would make us not having to log alts 4 looting.

This is just an excuse to let those too elite to play with the poor people a reason to not let them into teams untill they've been inspected. A real "you're equipment isn't good enough for us, get lost"...
    I think the main problem here is the time and/or effort it takes to get stuff in AO these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ultion View Post
    Why can't agents hide in the middle of combat if shades can? Agents were the master of conceal long before shade came to be.
    mhm, I think the developement of the agent-profession has been going downhill since LE when they started to add cost/nanoinit to agentgear (wtf) instead of extending the fp'able repetoir and the agent unique toolset.
    Last edited by leetlover; Mar 1st, 2014 at 18:36:33.

Something that could decrease the overall amount of exploiting is if funcom actually acted on reports they got about it.

Long ago I sat down with a GM and gave him the details about how swapping items with negative stats could actually increase those stats.
    6 months later, everyone knew about that exploit.
    18 months later it was fixed.
    The aftermath of this exploit (characters with "impossible setups") is still around. Many of them have been reported for it time and time again which us back to point one.
    Last edited by Mamman; Mar 1st, 2014 at 19:22:51.
    Mamman-_ 220/28 Enforcer Pretty!!
    Fluortanten 220/30 Soldier
    Pebble__.i_ 220/27 Shade
    Dogfood_._ 220/23 Agent

Paradise.

STATUS OF KYAI: Not breathing

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    Pretty good, not sure how appropiate it was to give that kind of effect to enfo tho.
    Well you are rooted while it runs, and it sets your hp/nano to 2k after 20 seconds. It's kinda dangerous to use much; I haven't met many enforcers that really use it (or even like it) like I do.

Anyhow, it's not going to break my heart or anything, but I'll miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biancha View Post
    Well you are rooted while it runs, and it sets your hp/nano to 2k after 20 seconds. It's kinda dangerous to use much; I haven't met many enforcers that really use it (or even like it) like I do.
    Yeah, but I still think it is out of charracter to add it to enfo. It looks more like MA/Agent-effect.

Wow. Just wow. The most blatant is of course buffing Enforcers who already have rage to clear roots (on top of 3200 NR) and a fear nano with a huge snare at the end and think it's a good idea to give them ANOTHER root removal tool and ANOTHER cc tool (with stun ofc...).

So the Enforcer stuns the target while he runs to it (or gets another free stun if already next to the target), stuns it with perks when he gets there, then drops 20k-30k damage sploit (seriously you can't fix this FC?) alpha while stunning/init debuffing some more. Meanwhile the Enforcer is never in any danger thanks to massive NR, massive HP, capped runspeed, and another root removal tool on top of rage? And FC is ok with this?

Shades being able to sneak in combat means they won't ever die and is therefore overpowered. It's a cool idea but running in sneak would be a better idea without being overpowered as someone else suggested. Maybe cast a 6ish minute nano that allows you to run in sneak until the nano is done (no lockout but you have to come out of sneak to recast it).

Thanks for the update. I usually try to read the comments but this month they beat the dead horse called "inspect equipment" to death over and over. sheesh. Anyway you guys keep up the good work and take the complaints with a grain of salt because not everyone has an axe to grind just the same 30 or so people every month. BTW I fully expect this post to be totally flamed because it seems to be unacceptable in this forum to actually show appreciation for you developers. Go AO.

Let me preface this post by saying that I play every once in a while for about a month at a time on and off. I obviously do not have much experience with the game and might as well be seen as a noob, but here are my thoughts anyway.

Inspecting Players
    One of the most interesting and yet demotivating aspect of this game is how obfuscated everything seems. If you have a skill system like this and such a highly blurred combat system, you need some kind of template there for new players to learn the game. Inspecting other players is one method of learning which equipment is worth using.

I could live without inspecting as a method of learning if other options are in place, but there are really no other options except outdated websites with inferior information. How is a player to know riposte is broken if its in the game and the game lets them spend on it?

Also from a cheating stand point are there really that many devs running around in game that can enforce rules. I doubt it. If someone hacks or cheats in some way the best method of mitigating it is for players to report it. If everything is hidden, then there is no method for a player to report things. Everything is balanced and fair in the dark but when the lights come on you begin to realize just how common cheating has become.

As far as deflect goes if you are using a dagger and deflecting a bullet, that seems pretty odd. It would be interesting if there was a shield that you equip and train to use that can partially absorb attacks but I dont like the idea of someone batting bullets aside with a sword. I know its a game but that might be a bit to fantastical for me and thats why I give the option of a shield belt or something similar to dunes shield.

My grips about this game are:
    1. Equipment
    Attempting to understanding equipment in this game is the worst. As a newer player you just have no idea which rifle is the best and how do you even get them? Shops in this game are abysmal and loot drops which are actually useful to you are not the easiest to find.

Starting in the newbie areas are actually fun. Its nice to see purchasable weapons and then being able to modify them in some way to make them better by adding some harvestable material, thats pretty cool and it becomes the game you expect to play. When you leave the newbie island everything changes fast and its easy to get lost in the sea of worthless weapons that are available for you to waste your creds on.

2. Clicksaver
    This is one of the primary reason that I never play the game for long. Running missions feels odd to begin with and then you throw in the fact that others are doing it better by using mods. I really hate trying to run missions to attain gear because of course as a new player I have no idea what gear is actually useful.

3. Profession locked Equipment
    Why give me the option to take shotguns as a Doc and then as I play, let me realize that not only am I gimped as far as skills I am also barred from using the better weapons in that skill.
    I am not saying that every prof should be equal with every weapon but I am saying if someone wants to do some kind of odd build it better have a use.

I just dont understand the thought behind " this shotgun has a trigger that only traders can pull ". I would assume that if a doc invested that far into shotguns that there is a tradeoff made and that doc will be weakened in a lot of ways. I am fine with skill levels hindering my ability to equip better weapons. Profession locking is just setting people up for failure. At level 1 when you choose your weapon skill you have no idea that there are other obstacles between you and your weapon of choice.

4. Options
    I feel this game gives you a false sense of options. There are options but how many are truly viable. Agents for example, as a newer player I have played an agent a few times and it seems like there are a lot of options but in the end I end up feeling like I have none. I like the idea of meshing profs but when I attempted to use false prof it felt as if it hindered me more than it helped me.

Then you get into the fact that any prof can use any skill and then you throw in prof locked weapons to counter it. Every time I see an option I see a counter to that option except for the class specific options. When it costs you less skill points to train a skill and t hat skill gives you prof locked items, you are basically filtering people along a path and if they deviate from the path you gimp them.

Oh well thats my noob rant. Take it how you want.

Quote Originally Posted by wretch View Post
    Let me preface this post by saying that I play every once in a while for about a month at a time on and off. I obviously do not have much experience with the game and might as well be seen as a noob, but here are my thoughts anyway.

Inspecting Players
    One of the most interesting and yet demotivating aspect of this game is how obfuscated everything seems. If you have a skill system like this and such a highly blurred combat system, you need some kind of template there for new players to learn the game. Inspecting other players is one method of learning which equipment is worth using.

I could live without inspecting as a method of learning if other options are in place, but there are really no other options except outdated websites with inferior information. How is a player to know riposte is broken if its in the game and the game lets them spend on it?

Also from a cheating stand point are there really that many devs running around in game that can enforce rules. I doubt it. If someone hacks or cheats in some way the best method of mitigating it is for players to report it. If everything is hidden, then there is no method for a player to report things. Everything is balanced and fair in the dark but when the lights come on you begin to realize just how common cheating has become.

As far as deflect goes if you are using a dagger and deflecting a bullet, that seems pretty odd. It would be interesting if there was a shield that you equip and train to use that can partially absorb attacks but I dont like the idea of someone batting bullets aside with a sword. I know its a game but that might be a bit to fantastical for me and thats why I give the option of a shield belt or something similar to dunes shield.

My grips about this game are:
    1. Equipment
    Attempting to understanding equipment in this game is the worst. As a newer player you just have no idea which rifle is the best and how do you even get them? Shops in this game are abysmal and loot drops which are actually useful to you are not the easiest to find.

Starting in the newbie areas are actually fun. Its nice to see purchasable weapons and then being able to modify them in some way to make them better by adding some harvestable material, thats pretty cool and it becomes the game you expect to play. When you leave the newbie island everything changes fast and its easy to get lost in the sea of worthless weapons that are available for you to waste your creds on.

2. Clicksaver
    This is one of the primary reason that I never play the game for long. Running missions feels odd to begin with and then you throw in the fact that others are doing it better by using mods. I really hate trying to run missions to attain gear because of course as a new player I have no idea what gear is actually useful.

3. Profession locked Equipment
    Why give me the option to take shotguns as a Doc and then as I play, let me realize that not only am I gimped as far as skills I am also barred from using the better weapons in that skill.
    I am not saying that every prof should be equal with every weapon but I am saying if someone wants to do some kind of odd build it better have a use.

I just dont understand the thought behind " this shotgun has a trigger that only traders can pull ". I would assume that if a doc invested that far into shotguns that there is a tradeoff made and that doc will be weakened in a lot of ways. I am fine with skill levels hindering my ability to equip better weapons. Profession locking is just setting people up for failure. At level 1 when you choose your weapon skill you have no idea that there are other obstacles between you and your weapon of choice.

4. Options
    I feel this game gives you a false sense of options. There are options but how many are truly viable. Agents for example, as a newer player I have played an agent a few times and it seems like there are a lot of options but in the end I end up feeling like I have none. I like the idea of meshing profs but when I attempted to use false prof it felt as if it hindered me more than it helped me.

Then you get into the fact that any prof can use any skill and then you throw in prof locked weapons to counter it. Every time I see an option I see a counter to that option except for the class specific options. When it costs you less skill points to train a skill and t hat skill gives you prof locked items, you are basically filtering people along a path and if they deviate from the path you gimp them.

Oh well thats my noob rant. Take it how you want.
    There is a good deal of truth in what you say. You can spend years finding out you made bad choices before learning what the limitations are.
    stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat View Post
    Shades being able to sneak in combat means they won't ever die and is therefore overpowered. It's a cool idea but running in sneak would be a better idea without being overpowered as someone else suggested. Maybe cast a 6ish minute nano that allows you to run in sneak until the nano is done (no lockout but you have to come out of sneak to recast it).
    Sounds more like a agentfeature. My idea would be to have the agent detaunt-thing make the target toggle attacking off. Then you'd be able to resneak but only from the target instead of everyone that has attacked you, which seems more fair, skillbased and inline with the silent/stealth-aspect.

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast