Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 28th February 2014

I am not sure some of these changes are desirable, especially the inspect change.

However, it does strike me having read through this thread, that most of the objections relate to pvp.

While pretty much everyone has probably engaged in pvp to some degree - partly due to a previous game director deciding we should all love it whether we do or not, my experience has been that pvp is really a minority interest. This may sound odd to some people but in all the time I spent in game the ones interested in pvp were certainly a minority - perhaps a vocal minority.

I also agree with a previous poster that there are a whole bunch of changes that could be made that would greatly improve the game experience rather than tinkering around with some of these issues.
    stuff

Would be cool with more profession disparity. So we get a distinct function/role.

Quote Originally Posted by wretch View Post
    Inspecting Players
    One of the most interesting and yet demotivating aspect of this game is how obfuscated everything seems. If you have a skill system like this and such a highly blurred combat system, you need some kind of template there for new players to learn the game. Inspecting other players is one method of learning which equipment is worth using.

Yeah, I learned a lot by looking at auno-equips.

My grips about this game are:
    1. Equipment
    Attempting to understanding equipment in this game is the worst. As a newer player you just have no idea which rifle is the best and how do you even get them? Shops in this game are abysmal and loot drops which are actually useful to you are not the easiest to find.

Starting in the newbie areas are actually fun. Its nice to see purchasable weapons and then being able to modify them in some way to make them better by adding some harvestable material, thats pretty cool and it becomes the game you expect to play. When you leave the newbie island everything changes fast and its easy to get lost in the sea of worthless weapons that are available for you to waste your creds on.

2. Clicksaver
    This is one of the primary reason that I never play the game for long. Running missions feels odd to begin with and then you throw in the fact that others are doing it better by using mods. I really hate trying to run missions to attain gear because of course as a new player I have no idea what gear is actually useful.

Much of this has to do with the expansions. When they are added and the game is played in a new way by the veterans, the stuff from the 'old game' gets a new meaning and new players will be left with a unstructured and incohesive game-experience.

imo, they should make 'the first playthrough' of AO better.

They can also make the veteranshop better instead of having so much playergaps.

4. Options
    I feel this game gives you a false sense of options. There are options but how many are truly viable. Agents for example, as a newer player I have played an agent a few times and it seems like there are a lot of options but in the end I end up feeling like I have none. I like the idea of meshing profs but when I attempted to use false prof it felt as if it hindered me more than it helped me.

Yes! The game is too carebear so everyone wears the same stuff basicly.

They can make more items like 'sacrifical ensigns of cerubin' and maybe consider to make 3 versions of DB-bracer for example. One with HP/Def, one with Damage/Offense and third with statbuffs. Not all in one as it is now. Infused implants... Stuff like that. It should be a consequense in equpping something phat.

My idea for agent is to remove penalties from fp but make the agentnanos (and maybe some other agentfeatures) unusable while a FP is running. Then they can make the agentstuff (consentration etc) more potent :>
    Last edited by leetlover; Mar 2nd, 2014 at 05:44:53.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Hassler View Post
    could you tell us in what way it will make it more complex? i think its rather just the opposite what will happen.
    You don't think that having more information available makes things more complex? If you think that spamming stuff in the dark and hoping that it might may or may not hit is complex, I don't think you understand what complexity means.

That AO still suffers from a lot of binary combat today does not promote obfuscation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    You are ofcourse right. But if you had known Masta, you'd have known that he always supports FC no matter how insane their ideas are. So just ignore.
    Obviously you don't know me but then, newbies can't be expected to know everything, so how can I blame you?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

While I thank the developers for there hard work, Like I have have asked multiple times, who exactly are you guys listening to. There is no change here that will do one thing to increase the population, make the game more enjoyable and lower the full dependence on money.

The fact that new people can see the massive twinking of old vet players will not change the fact that they still cant hit them in pvp.

The only people that will care about this are the hardcore pvps, all of which are old vets with billions.

Quote Originally Posted by edmaster3 View Post
    While I thank the developers for there hard work, Like I have have asked multiple times, who exactly are you guys listening to. There is no change here that will do one thing to increase the population, make the game more enjoyable and lower the full dependence on money.

The fact that new people can see the massive twinking of old vet players will not change the fact that they still cant hit them in pvp.

The only people that will care about this are the hardcore pvps, all of which are old vets with billions.
    So?

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    This is just an excuse to let those too elite to play with the poor people a reason to not let them into teams untill they've been inspected. A real "you're equipment isn't good enough for us, get lost"...

I'm against this as strongly now as I was when we were told it would be implemented in the first place, FC only quieted the row then by adding the ability to block people inspecting you whenever they feel like it.

Come on FC, don't implement this, let us keep some privacy...
    Really, that's a thing that happens?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

To be perfectly honest; I don't care about the beta, I don't care about NPE, and I don't care about shiny graphics.

When can we expect new content ?
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    You don't think that having more information available makes things more complex? If you think that spamming stuff in the dark and hoping that it might may or may not hit is complex, I don't think you understand what complexity means.
    It is fun to do a tactical retreat after seing a perk miss. If they do this they might want to make que'd perks re-check if it still is "legal" to land. For balance-reasons.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

So?
    Mastablasta why should anyone new play AO? Cant believe you were chosen as the NT professional. No wonder why all the changes dont change anything.

You probably dont care if anyone new comes to AO, you are happy with your billions and everyone else is just a whinny baby that cant hack it.

Other people arent that selfish and actually want ao population to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    take the complaints with a grain of salt because not everyone has an axe to grind just the same 30 or so people every month.
    Too bad that's approximately 95% of paying subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by edmaster3 View Post
    Mastablasta why should anyone new play AO? Cant believe you were chosen as the NT professional. No wonder why all the changes dont change anything.

You probably dont care if anyone new comes to AO, you are happy with your billions and everyone else is just a whinny baby that cant hack it.

Other people arent that selfish and actually want ao population to grow.
    You just revealed how little you know about me or how much you care to follow any of the information being put out on the game. Or even what you understand of gamedesign. Congrats! Calling me selfish, I must laugh!
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    So pvmers can sploit all they want while pvpers can't? What exactly is the reasoning behind that, if any?
    I can tell you didn't read my previous post, but here's it in a nutshell.
    Why would a PvMer wish to look at someone elses setup? The only people that seem to be crying for this option are PvPers...

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstriker View Post
    What they can see though. is if you have some proff locked gear on a wrong toon.
    Or gear that are not even in game or multible uniqs of same type..
    Remember folks . Often its the crook that cryes out the most about injustment.
    You accusing me of something there thunderstriker?
    So, "If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear" is your theory? That's a very

fascist way of looking at things.
    I personally have no idea what exploits may be at large in this alteration, and I'd be very supprised if you'd managed to get that information from anywhere since FC doesn't give out information on any exploits, however, I have no idea how you'd get proff locked gear on a different proff, or gear that isn't ingame, since, well, it's NOT ingame is it...

Basically, for anyone that's into inspecting others without asking them first, I'm sure you'd just love someone to come up to you in the street and start rummaging through your pockets just to see what you're carrying.
    It's called privacy, I simply don't want every Tom, Dick & Harry rummaging through my wear window. Is that too much logic for you?

P.S. And GMs don't need to be able to inspect anyone, they've got tools that will just tell them what your complete inventory contains (which means wear windows, inventory, bank), so this is not needed for them.
    P.P.S. If you've got a problem with me and think I'm packing equipment I shouldn't be, there's this thing in game called a /petition, if you use it a nice GM will come along, write down your story and then go check it out (which would probably entail them checking my characters. Man... It's like magic isn't it!
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    To be perfectly honest; I don't care about the beta, I don't care about NPE, and I don't care about shiny graphics.

When can we expect new content ?
    Well, there's a ton of gameplay changes coming that really change everything so much that it counts as completely new content.
    The Red Brotherhood

where is my Samsonite
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. [attributed to Albert Einstein]

Shades being able to sneak mid combat in PvP will BREAK PvP. Don't do it. Or put it on a long cool down. Shades are powerful enough as it is after all the absorb and heal love you gave them. They do not need more love. If you want lower shades to have love, give them small versions of the heal/absorb. Don't make it so they can vanish after firing off 10 perks.

Enforcer's don't need a root breaker nano. Enfo's have Rage, Free Movement stims, and IS Rod of Dismissals, and MOTR. We do not need more.

I can accept a nerf to OMHH in the name of balance. But thats a huge nerf to lowbie soldiers, especially in PvM, but also very damaging vs NT's, Traders, and Engineer's. I don't see this turning out well for a number of reasons, but if your intention is to simply bash soldiers with a nerf stick. This is a very good way to do it.

Please don't allow shades to sneak mid combat.... Fixer's are already a big enough pain in the butt with their evac. Don't need more people doing that.

Parry change is welcome.

Keeper/Enfo charge/pull is nice.
    Last edited by Herkulease; Mar 2nd, 2014 at 02:58:34.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Mastablasta I can only just you on what you say now. Dont care what you may or may not have done in the past. But answer the question, what would you tell people about ao to get them to join?

Any soldier that uses that heal is dead. Its a 7 second death sentence. Lol imagine using that against a shade. Heal, shade sneak. 1hp, die by damage shield.
    PVP is already is messed up they need a major overhaul. But its more important work on content than a massively corrupt pvp system.

OMHH change is a huge nerf.

At start of 90% of fights I use OMHH, then TMS. Once TMS goes down I run or die. That's it. Vs gimps I can survive till I can TMS again. But that is vs under-equipped, under-leveled toons. Not vs decent players.

Now, at start of fight I use TMS. At end of fight, I can't use OMHH cause of NSD.

In borealis when someone tries to gank me I can choose to use TMS, or OMHH.

I will always choose TMS.

Choosing OMHH, then running for BY and risking roots/snares/stuns/blinds/fears is a death sentence.

OMHH, then TMS does not leave you enough time to run to a BY.

It will be a worthless nano. It would truely be better to remove the nano, and give soldiers something different.

OMHH iscurrently a PvM supah nano for lowbie twinks. It is also helpful vs gimps if you are twinked in PvP.

Again, I accept these changes in the name of balance, but this is a big slap to soldiers, specifically lowbies.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Actually that is exactly why I have inspect turned off. Took all of one day of the feature being in the game to be told to go play WOW because my equipment sucked on the new toon I happened to be leveling at that the time.

The one constant to AO that I have found is that the Jerk Eleetist always make themselves known long before any helpful toon makes himself known. If you are not seeing it then perhaps you are one of the eleetist that happens to be the rare type isn't rude about it. But happen it does.

I don't want the unsolicited opinions on my gear PERIOD. I don't want to be told to go get better gear to join a raid when the gear I need comes from the raid I am being excluded from because of my gear. That crap happens every day on live to toons that have inspect enabled. How do I know? I am an org president and have seen enough members rant about it in org chat. Also have seen those new players leave and not come back to AO.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Cool My immediate reactions to reading the Update

1) I totally agree with Lheann.
    2) I cannot even begin to imagine what you people were smoking when you decided to disable the ability to decline inspections. The reasoning to do so makes me think you people are lazy. Scan the database or implement some kind of monitoring solution to do this. Relying on people that are guessing an exploit is happening is not my job.
    3) Why give a Shade the ability to hide in the middle of combat and not do the same for the Agent class? For example, I'm not sure I understand how a big ole Atrox Shade can simply become invisible as you are smacking the crap outta it... but a little itty bitty Agent the size of a cockroach cannot do so.

Usually I applaud change but this Monthly Development Post is making me think you let the drunk Interns manage the house for a month.

Guapo
    Guapo - Advisor in Unity of The Rose

Oh definately, I remember before the implementation of the social tab, people would look at your armour and just refuse you access to their team, think how much worse it would be if they could look at ALL your equipment!

This has happened to me in the past.
    Ok, it's less likely to happen now, most of my characters are pretty well equipped (other than symbs lol), but I still don't want to be judged by my equipment. Good or bad...
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Yes, I understand...
    Once Funcom names a nano after you, a certain degree of arrogance on one hand, and a certain degree of blind devotion on the other has to be expected.

Again, I suggest that you play a few MMO's that have mandatory inspect and understand what it is used for on a daily basis - small hint, catching cheaters isn't it.
    Just because many games have it, doesn't make a good thing!

If FC wants mandatory inspect, they might as well implement "gear scores" too for a more authentic WoW feeling...
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast