Thread: Monthly Development Update - 2nd April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    -Hot Tower Fields
    I've heard that Foob really loves hunting sand demons in PW. Shame He always gets attacked by pesky towers when farming the last of his research.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Thank you Macrosun for posting your thoughts on the matter. I appreciate the effort even if its your own personal viewpoint. I really do. Thanks for being on top of this.

I do not however agree that the cancellations are not going to prove anything. It will prove that AO although had a fantastic run, and that's why walking away from it will be bitter. It might not have been your fault either. I've good things about the efforts you personally put in game, and could even say the additions you made I had a good deal amount of fun experiencing.

But, I've been the last rat on so many sinking ships IRL and otherwise that I know what the signs are. Its usually not any one person's fault, but the fault of how things were managed in total. FC and their products has never not known a time to be sketchy in some way, and this is how karma collects. You can throw numbers on a spreadsheet all day and that still wont be enough detail to describe how these things rise and fall. But one thing IS for certain and that as a business money does talk. So let it talk.

This is just one of the problems in a long grey line of issues that lead way back to the beginning of this game. It wont be multiboxing that kills AO, as its just one symptom of a greater problem. That problem is that when one and/or two people ( who are well known to do so) exploit the hell out of a game for the sake of personal amusement or convenience comes along it can easily snowball out of control. This game is attractive to competitive types, so basically through inaction you're actually aiding the problem.

So if a moral solution won't be discussed, then all that's left is a financial one.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Yeah, cancellations not proving anything, hm, i wonder about the timing of this new found poll.
    NO U

Quote Originally Posted by Freor View Post
    Without having deep backgroud knowledge how the automation softwares work, and partly based on reading suggestions made in the last 6 months, various solutions that might help:

- Don't allow AO window to take keyboard commands if the window doesn't have focus (and/or demand focus for at least say 0.1 secs for cmds to work). Can be applied to PVP only (25% or lower gas).

- Disallow multiple connections from same IP address when entering 25% or lower gas. Alternatively, use the "entering busy area" cc mechanic.

- Greatly increase tower/CT HP, specially below 200. Introduce a team-wide looong cooldown for meeps if executed from 25% or lower gas. Disallow engineer warps *from* 25-% gas.

Those of the top of my head.

- - -

It's nice that someone, even if unofficially, finally gave a comment. Thank you for that. What you don't seem to understand though, is that if you guys cannot find a solution, the NW part of the game is dead. Boxers "won". You can call it a protest or anything you want, but you need to understand that if you take away the NW part of the game from players playing mainly for NW, they don't exactly have much reason to play. For others it depends how important they considered that aspect.
    Bamp these ideas. For a start.
    Somne 220/30 Advisor of Equilibrium7
    Mercha 150/20 Advisor of Equilibrium
    Slynn 60/6 President of Equilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinne View Post
    Better stick to killing. Youre much better ganker than song writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post

Finally I also want to point out that the people who are staging a "protest" by cancelling, are not really accomplishing anything useful. While I can't and won't speak for management, I doubt they will take into account that some of the lost revenue is from this "protest" when they look at the declining revenue and decide the future direction of the project.
    cansel the accounts is the last way to get funcom to respond ,
    they made a big misstake when they said that it was ok to use 3 party prog and multibox , and they dont want to have a debate about it or talk about it at all .

it cant be so hard to se the diffrens when players are using 3 party progs or when they are just multilogged .

Please read this first part carefully.
    Hi, slow down special-attacks (so we can react) and nerf uber teambuffs/buffstations.

This will buff some profs, but mostly fixer, soldier and eng flags openly atm anyway.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Multi-box solution?

Not really sure if this thread is the correct one for this multibox convo...
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

As far as protesting by cancelling - It is the only way to protest that a customer has. Our money speaks for us. When we withhold it, it does impact FC. Since as was said it is not the Dev's that make this policy, then removing the cash that the execs use to line their pockets with makes it a good method of protest. We we stop paying we are saying the game is not worth paying for. So if it goes away no big deal to the protesters.
    Ultimately, cancellation is the only effective protest the customer has, that's true.
    But I'm still hoping that FC actually reads and reacts to some of the concerns people have without having to take that final step.

Finally I also want to point out that the people who are staging a "protest" by cancelling, are not really accomplishing anything useful. While I can't and won't speak for management, I doubt they will take into account that some of the lost revenue is from this "protest" when they look at the declining revenue and decide the future direction of the project.
    If there is a "cancellation protest", I can only imagine that it has to do with

1) the screwed up economy which FC left unfixed after all the exploits
    2) the unloved February update and lack of response by Funcom, and
    3) 3rd party multiboxing in pvp
    (now that I know what it is, I understand why people hate it)

From my, very personal experience, those are 3 things I hear most often mentioned when people consider quitting.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Multi-box solution?

Not really sure if this thread is the correct one for this multibox convo...
    For people using 3rd-party stuff for many screens this wouldn't work. Mouse movements are doable, as well as detecting stuff in the screen (like the confirmation button for the prompt). It breaks the EULA but it's easy to do.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Macrosun pops in and gives us some info and the pirhanna attack like they always do. Some things never change. I can see why they don't bother, nothing is ever good enough for this bunch because he didn't say what they want him to say lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunforhire View Post
    Macrosun pops in and gives us some info and the pirhanna attack like they always do. Some things never change. I can see why they don't bother, nothing is ever good enough for this bunch because he didn't say what they want him to say lol.
    Yeah, we should all get down on our knees and probably offer gifts too, right?

I mean.. A dev posting on the forums of the game he works for.. The awesomesauce of that is just so amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post
    For people using 3rd-party stuff for many screens this wouldn't work. Mouse movements are doable, as well as detecting stuff in the screen (like the confirmation button for the prompt). It breaks the EULA but it's easy to do.
    Just a thought, as opposed to saying, "O well spoiters can get around it so why bother?"

Quite possibly in conjunction with other deterants it could add up. Have you learned nothing padawan? In AO every point counts.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Just a thought, as opposed to saying, "O well spoiters can get around it so why bother?"

Quite possibly in conjunction with other deterants it could add up. Have you learned nothing padawan? In AO every point counts.
    It doesn't. It's a 2 minute workaround.

Also, I'm not against multiboxing or multilogging to begin with, even if I don't really do it myself. I was just stating that solution is not viable and why it's not viable.

Check Macrosun's post for the most viable paths presented so far.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post

I mean.. A dev posting on the forums of the game he works for.. The awesomesauce of that is just so amazing!
    What does this have to do with what I said? I guess I was supposed to rip into Macrosun, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Hai 2 u,Coast of Peace and tranquility will also be re-opened.
    That is EXACTLY what needed to stay after the removal of city plots. 2 playfields which look pretty nice with much potential where future content may be added.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

This.

Keep up the good work, and don't let yourself be put down by the perpetual nay-sayers.
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Gunforhire View Post
    Except that didn't happen where Macrosun actually posted (see link http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...610413&page=18)

Straight forward debate no piranha there?

And ended with an open poll, all good.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Heh, pvp is already messed up in all kinds of ways, don't need extra headache from multiboxing!
    I won't quit over it but I can see why people might want to.
    More upset about that dumb patch last month and the mess from the sploiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post

Heh, just ignore that guy, he never says anything constructive.
    He calls everyone who disagrees with him trolls and piranhas, but if we call him a fanboi, he goes crying for the moderator!

- Don't allow AO window to take keyboard commands if the window doesn't have focus (and/or demand focus for at least say 0.1 secs for cmds to work). Can be applied to PVP only (25% or lower gas).
    It's trivial to trick an application into thinking it has focus

- Disallow multiple connections from same IP address when entering 25% or lower gas. Alternatively, use the "entering busy area" cc mechanic.
    This prevents roommates, families, siblings, lan parties, etc from playing with each other. That's entirely unreasonable.

- Greatly increase tower/CT HP, specially below 200. Introduce a team-wide looong cooldown for meeps if executed from 25% or lower gas. Disallow engineer warps *from* 25-% gas.
    Revamping NW is being considered in the 'you decide' thread.

Collecting and examining network traffic - A company can track and collect all traffic entering and interacting with their servers. Specifically when that traffic is coming from software they have licensed to a end user. In this case the client. As long as they are collecting the data at their servers on their private network side of whatever firewall system they have it is all them and generally legal. Their EULA already covers this but if needed it could be expanded to further protect them. So getting the data is really not illegal as long as they do it within their own network. Yes there are limits to this, but it is not as clear cut as collecting is illegal.
    The collection of traffic Macrosun is talking about is the collection of all network traffic on a machine.
    Just collecting network traffic to the AO servers would not detect MB software.
    Only intrusive software similar to how PunkBuster and such operates would be able to, and it takes an entire team constantly updating such software to catch only a minor portion of offenders.
    And it still wouldn't detect hardware solutions or custom software (which is pretty trivial to make).
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

/me smacks Vhab around a bit with a large trout

Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast