Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 2nd April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    Which hardly excuses it, also whatever issues i might have with Genele i wouldnt compare her to Kintaii with his 'anyone who posts negativity in this ass-kissing FC love thread will be infracted because i say so' attitude
    Truth right there. He could not and would not engage in debate on any but the most superficial level, just threaten with infractions to shut people up.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I should have more clearly stated my response instead of posing questions that I thought answered themselves.

I guess I don't understand how you feel that the reason why THIS update is lacking on information is some sudden realization that they'll get complaints no matter what. The game isn't new, the playerbase really hasn't changed much over the years. I think that to say that Genele read the last monthly update and thought something like 'oh crap, I better not throw fuel in the fire' is really insulting her intelligence. And if that were her desire or concern she might've bothered to answer some of the more pressing/legitimate questions raised from the last monthy update.. but she didn't.

The same applies to attempts to prevent future lose of customers. I mean both boats have long ago sailed when it comes to the monthly updates. The only thing they do is try to pump enough information out with the hopes that people will continue paying. Let's see.. anniversary time coming up so time for some more annual specials/promotions to try to get people paying again.. I'm sure the update immediately prior will be filled with new shinies meant to instill some sense of hope to their customerbase. I can already see it. "We're soon to put 18.7.x" to the beta servers which is the 2nd to last patch before we release to TestLive! In preparation of the expecting influx of new players we'll be doing <insert something regarding character names> so you might want to make sure that everything is up to date." (read: if you're not subbed, sub up because sometime in the next year or two this this will hit Live servers.. in the interim, we'd like you to get your hopes up and pay so we have more sub fees on the books to keep us going).
    They are a business. What do you expect. The devs probably work under a lot of stress trying to make us happy within the limitations and restrictions placed upon them from above. I know your not happy with them. You have mentioned it several times over a few threads. This isnt the first time youve complained at their lack of correspondance or their lack of details over certain things you have interest in. It isnt a sudden realisation. We all get it. we all would love to hear more. Brute force isnt the way.
    You are not the only one that knows the schpeel to sell every seasonal activity or bday. Im not sure what sure what you point was but I am fully aware the ghame and the playerbase isnt new. Im saying that from learning reactions from the playerbase over the years (kinda pointing out I know that) they kinda watch what they say and/or give no info or as lil info as possible as to not try to dissapoint a playerbase who for years have seemed impossible to impress. Im nots aying they cry in their coffees and fear speaking to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Yes, critical voices of disappointed customers have prevented new players from coming!
    Surely, that must be it!
    Failed marketing, non-existent new player support, and overpricing an aging product has nothing to do with it.

I rest my case.
    Is what you responded.

I responded to that with "Thank you for that Grandpa lol Not quite sure what to make of that. Tak your meds." because i cant seriously think that you can think that I cant differentiate between the game Anarchy Online and the company "Funcom" without you trying to either be insulting, or needing to take some meds.

I was trying to say that new players have Failed marketing, non-existent new player support, and overpricing an aging product to contend with anyway... How is all this negativity going to make potential newplayers want to play.

I dont understand why hitting on the devs makes you think the people in funcom tnhat you are angry at will suffer. The boardmembers will never have seen this site, they wont give a flying **** about your displeasure or you dissatissfaction. The people that do are the devs. The people your bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by ultion View Post
    Truth right there. He could not and would not engage in debate on any but the most superficial level, just threaten with infractions to shut people up.
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but...

Genele is the Game Director...Kintaii was just a DEV - very different levels of responsibility, authority, etc. I expect more from the GD, quite frankly.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but...

Genele is the Game Director...Kintaii was just a DEV - very different levels of responsibility, authority, etc. I expect more from the GD, quite frankly.
    He was a content designer, not a coder. You should expect more, but you won't get it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Last month, many of you engaged in heated discussions about the nano changes in 18.7. I just want to ensure you all that we do read feedback and will make sure that the nano changes come with proper follow up changes to ensure good game play in the future.
    everything but a "hahaha gotcha! april fools!!!" is nonsense. period.

The battlestations have been reworked a bit so that areas that have been previously closed with glass have been re-opened.
    finally! iLike. if you'd now fix the bs sign up mechanics i'd be willing to forget last month's nonsense and subscribe for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    From the obliviousness your posts display I have to agree. I can't help but wonder what does FC give you in return for your zealous whiteknighting on their behalf.
    i was wondering the same thing.

edit: Kintaii was awesome. He had a hat! nuff said. I claim none of last months garbage would have made it to the forums if he was still around. Prove me wrong ;D
    Last edited by Xootch; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 01:11:27.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    they kinda watch what they say
    The communications I've seen indicate that they don't watch what they say which was moreso my point.. there's been no recent epiphany regarding communications due to a history of player reactions. If there had been, you'd see a very different communication style not the same thing over and over.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 01:13:00.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Hai 2 u,
    Last month, many of you engaged in heated discussions about the nano changes in 18.7. I just want to ensure you all that we do read feedback and will make sure that the nano changes come with proper follow up changes to ensure good game play in the future.

There are already so many changes that have been made in 18.7 and there are also a lot more to come. We will of course listen and modify things as we go, when you have actually tested all these changes and given us valuable feedback. We will have an open dialog with the testlive testers and the professionals to find the best solutions to any problems caused by these changes, especially during the critical time when 18.7 has been patched to Testlive.

We have actually fixed the zone border between Lush Fields and Clon****. Coast of Peace and tranquility will also be re-opened.

That is it from me this month.

- Genele

PS. Sorry my newsletter was a bit late this Month, I was too busy drinking Pinã Colada on my saved up one week vacation!
    Assuming you want a balanced assortment of feedback about all the changes to nano's etc. mentioned in last month's update ... I would suggest you encourage and listen to feedback from all the testers on test-live ... not just professionals or other long-time "advisers". It seems sometimes as if the feedback from regular players doesn't get equal weighting, particularly if the feedback is from PvM players vs PvP players. For AO to succeed long-term it needs to support PvM and PvP players ... as well as multiple varieties of gameplay styles to attract/keep more types of players.

Glad to see the border fixed ...

I assume once 18.7 patches to Test-Live we will be able to transfer a Live toon over and/or Auto will be there?

Emma

In her defense, that's the Legacy that Means and Kintaii started. I mean they always skipped over the intelligent questions and went straight for the jokes (i.e. that whole back and forth 'Confirmed' thing they used to do with Lazy).
    To be fair, they also gave considerably more information than Genele has, and posted much more often than the remaining devs/GD/useless figurehead from AoC/TSW that got foisted on us.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    ...or needing to take some meds.
    It's apparent that those who complain the loudest about negativity are the most negative posters on this forum.

Business 101:
    Unhappy customers lead to declining revenue for the company.

Developers, Game Directors (and as Esssch called them other "useless figureheads") are part of the company.
    Even if the board of directors, CEO, etc. do not read our concerns, it is the responsibility of those who DO read them to relay our sentiments to those at the top of the decision-making process.

If your job description places you in the path of customer complaints, you a) need to be able to handle it and b) update those above you regularly.
    If you cannot do that, you need to find a different job.

Since there is no Yelp for MMOs, this forum is the ONLY practical way for us, the paying customers, to voice our complaints.

You want to take that away because you feel it is too "negative"?
    No, you obviously cannot differentiate between Funcom and AO!
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Well since this report didnt feed the trolls and people have nothing to complain about, we are now returning to philosophy.

CTRL+ Click. Yay you finally did one thing to help new people and the game. Now if you can
    lft bs invites
    increase spawn rates ... sorry wrong area
    We live in a beautiful world

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Hi guys,
    - We will disable the ability to decline inspects. We fully expect this to lead to an increase in the number of exploit reports that we receive and a decrease in the actual exploiting.
    Nothing about that.. it seems they changed their minds. Or just want to keep quiet, so they push it as a crappy surprise.
    Look at the Hat!

Funcom employees must have a great union behind them. Seriously, I have never heard of a company, especially an IT one, that gives so many days off for their employees. From a workers PoV, bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post
    Funcom employees must have a great union behind them. Seriously, I have never heard of a company, especially an IT one, that gives so many days off for their employees. From a workers PoV, bravo!
    ha, my wife get's a week of paid vacation every three months, plus two weeks paid sick leave, which she is required to use by years end. so yea, 6 weeks off with pay. me, no paid vacations :/

It's apparent that those who complain the loudest about negativity are the most negative posters on this forum.

Business 101:
    Unhappy customers lead to declining revenue for the company.

Developers, Game Directors (and as Esssch called them other "useless figureheads") are part of the company.
    Even if the board of directors, CEO, etc. do not read our concerns, it is the responsibility of those who DO read them to relay our sentiments to those at the top of the decision-making process.

If your job description places you in the path of customer complaints, you a) need to be able to handle it and b) update those above you regularly.
    If you cannot do that, you need to find a different job.

Since there is no Yelp for MMOs, this forum is the ONLY practical way for us, the paying customers, to voice our complaints.

You want to take that away because you feel it is too "negative"?
    No, you obviously cannot differentiate between Funcom and AO!
    The actual problem here is that in your face complainers are not listened to, they are put on ignore by the devs. Being loud and obnoxious only offends other posters on the forum. I wish there were a way to /ignore some of the posters here like I can in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunforhire View Post
    The actual problem here is that in your face complainers are not listened to, they are put on ignore by the devs. Being loud and obnoxious only offends other posters on the forum. I wish there were a way to /ignore some of the posters here like I can in game.
    Ah yes, there you are, stalking me again!
    The guy who was so aghast by all the "vitriol" in the previous thread, and then proceeded to troll everyone who didn't agree with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunforhire View Post
    FC, can I just give you my e-mail address so I can read the updates without the attached (4 pages already) of developer beating?
    So why are you still posting here if justified customer complaints upset you so much?
    Just go to the main webpage and the update list is shown. Instead of clicking on the link that leads you to the forum, click on the 'more' link to get the web version of the update.
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...ain&navID=1003
    http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT
    That's good advice, consider taking it!
    And fyi, there is an option to ignore forum posters, check your account page.

/snip our concerns /snip
    Please don't use the word "our" when you are expressing the concerns of, what, maybe 30-40 total forum users.

When you say "our", it implies that you are speaking from either a majority position, or at least one with a sizable minority.

Simply put, even with the amount of posts and pages the last update went into, there really were not that many individuals on the "concern" side. Even with AO's minimal population, it's not anything close to a majority, or even a sizable minority.

For the sake of not speaking for the others who may disagree with you, please don't use terms like "we" or "our" unless you first preface it with "a certain number of people who agree with my position, not including other paying customers who disagree with my position".
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Ah yes, there you are, stalking me again!
    The guy who was so aghast by all the "vitriol" in the previous thread, and then proceeded to troll everyone who didn't agree with him.

So why are you still posting here if justified customer complaints upset you so much?

That's good advice, consider taking it!
    And fyi, there is an option to ignore forum posters, check your account page.
    Stalking... Troll... give me a break lol. Like you're not trolling everyone who disagrees with you haha. And I'm posting because I can just like you can.

there is no Yelp for MMOs, this forum is the ONLY practical way for us, the paying customers, to voice our complaints.
    Have you tried Reddit and 4Chan? If you haven't, take a peek sometime.

I'll warn you though, you may feel the need to take a shower afterwards.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Please don't use the word "our" when you are expressing the concerns of, what, maybe 30-40 total forum users.

When you say "our", it implies that you are speaking from either a majority position, or at least one with a sizable minority.

Simply put, even with the amount of posts and pages the last update went into, there really were not that many individuals on the "concern" side. Even with AO's minimal population, it's not anything close to a majority, or even a sizable minority.

For the sake of not speaking for the others who may disagree with you, please don't use terms like "we" or "our" unless you first preface it with "a certain number of people who agree with my position, not including other paying customers who disagree with my position".
    Ah, a comprehension issue here, or do you speak on behalf of the silent majority?
    Did they authorize you to do so?

There is no need for a personal opinion disclaimer.
    All posts here, with the exception of those issued by Funcom, are personal opinions.

What IS implied is that the forum are the only practical way for US, the paying customers, to voice ANY kind of comments - even the comments in support of Funcom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
    Have you tried Reddit and 4Chan? If you haven't, take a peek sometime.

I'll warn you though, you may feel the need to take a shower afterwards.
    Yes, I know - and there are probably a dozen more and none of them too pleasant.
    But also none of them too relevant to the gaming industry, because none of them have anywhere near the exposure of a review site such as Yelp.

My point is that these forums right here are the only practical way for the users to reach out to Funcom.
    We are already very limited in what can be discussed here - no talking about exploits, no talking about customer service, etc.

Now we have people posting here who want to restrict forum posts to "positive-only".
    Suppressing negative opinions might please Funcom in short run, but it does absolutely nothing to improve the game, quite the contrary.
    Last edited by Grandpa; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 05:02:43.

Wow. The recent replies in these threads make us trolls of yore look like fawning fanboys! Look at the pure unbridled restraint being exercised by quitter!!!!

Anyway I would still appreciate some details on the deflect mechanic since it was never explained further last month or now...
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast