Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 2nd April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Gunforhire View Post
    The actual problem here is that in your face complainers are not listened to, they are put on ignore by the devs. Being loud and obnoxious only offends other posters on the forum. I wish there were a way to /ignore some of the posters here like I can in game.
    Knock yourself out: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/pro...?do=ignorelist

I'm still curious if there is going to be a reason to make the Apocalypse rings from 12man anymore since the on use function is going bye bye, otherwise we can just make the devalos rings and get the same benefit without the extra items needed, only difference is that the apocalypse ring is blue once this 18.7 hits live. Can we get an explanation as to whether more stats are going to be added or if I shouldn't bother with making it on any of my alts again....
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

THIS MONTH AT FUNCOM

WE'VE DONE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Thanks for tuning in on that bombshell its time to end GOODNIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction View Post
    I'm still curious if there is going to be a reason to make the Apocalypse rings from 12man anymore since the on use function is going bye bye, otherwise we can just make the devalos rings and get the same benefit without the extra items needed, only difference is that the apocalypse ring is blue once this 18.7 hits live. Can we get an explanation as to whether more stats are going to be added or if I shouldn't bother with making it on any of my alts again....
    Wait, what? you expect a reasonable question to get answered? sadly your in the wrong forum for that....make that the wrong game

Seriously, i'd like an answer to that too but i dont think what the Devs are doing is negotiable anymore...
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Nothing here but tumbleweeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    For AO to succeed long-term it needs to support PvM and PvP players ... as well as multiple varieties of gameplay styles to attract/keep more types of players.
    Yes, with NPE they should focus on both pvm and pvp. A pvp startup-vendor with grafts and stuff (not ai-armor) would be very helpfull and welcome. Pvp is most fun when you can make a diference.

The current pvm startupvendor could be upgraded aswell. Add medsuit and a yalm in there for example. I also think we should be able to TS implants without skills up to ql 125.

They could consider revamping all the vendors actually. SO much outdated junk there.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Miru View Post
    Are there any plans on trying to rebalance the ingame economy and gear acquisition before the engine and NPE go live?
    this yeah, it takes too much just to be able to perform the obligatory functions of your profession.

it should probably take much to have an extra edge, but...

(and no, having to look up vital gameplay information on external websites is not the right way to go or an acceptable state of affairs) and not everyone is supported by an active org

Here i disagree. Online-manuals/help is pretty much the norm now, even for singleplayer-games.

They could fix default-settings and stuff tho.
    Last edited by leetlover; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 13:55:33.

This thread so far is loaded with good questions and suggestions I wonder when one of the developers will pop in and comment.... Maybe I'm just dreaming hehe. Just saying now is the time for them to speak up before the thread deteriorates into just bashing.

Meanwhile, veteran players can camp and raid to their hearts' content and continue to amass wealth that's already completely overblown to the point where the inflation has broken the economy and they have no reason whatsoever to move that currency along to lowbie players.
    They need to fix gearaqusition. Credits doesn't really matter (except for yalms and first aid/stuff you don't buy from players) actually. Due to the system we will only get ql 75 ai-armor via solofarms. Thats is 100% FC's fault and it has much to do with LE-missions and AI-dailies.

You see there is 1 ai-encounter for axp and another for bots. Both is horrible gameplay and the encounter for bots require a good charracter and is commonly soloed due to the game-mechanics and lootsystem.

If team-dailies was the only means for getting axp/bots then progression would be more enjoyable, and the extra production of bots would significantly lower the price on bots aswell. But for team-dailies to be doable, then "noobs" must have the means to perform the obligatory functions of their profession and that is something some veterans and professionals doesn't like.

I remember they implemented dailies since most people was undergeared which again made it difficult to level. Pretty stupid since solo-dailies and solofarms has now become the norm...in an mmo.

NO axp on demand! No Solofarms! Join the revolution.

(so it's a static QL range of items instead of a randomized selection, maybe at 5 QL intervals?)
    Some of the shopstuff mattered before. AC-holes in armor played an important factor in pvm and pvp for example. Today armor is pretty much not used for AC at all cause AC doesn't determine so much. That is all cool and outside of the box, which I like, but they could delete 80% of the stuff in the shops and replace it with stuff that matters. Tier and ofab equipement for example. Ofab was originally designed for lesser advanced/new players to decrease playergaps so it makes sense. It was so hard to get that it became twink-armor tho.

Miru- might want to check out this thread from a couple years back if you have some spare reading time.. covers a lot of what you said and Ilaliya chimed in around page 3 or 4 with some of his thoughts. The original post was regarding s10 but the concepts discussed are similar to what you guys are going back and forth on now.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=596394
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I only posted the link to illustrate one of the dozen or so threads I can recall that's talked about this problem. I tend to keep hitting my head against a brick wall on topics but figured I'd let you know this topic has been discussed quite a bit in case you aren't one to do the same.

I've actually agreed with pretty much all of what you've posted in this thread, for what its worth. At one point when Means discussed the New Player Experience he was referring to the experience someone has when they start the game up through leveling to endgame level. Over the years that concept seemed to have been dumbed down to just the new player starting area which really is only the tip of the iceberg.

Funcom may have something else in mind outside of this (new starting area) but its not something they choose to discuss/share with us in monthly updates. I'd definitely find their position on the true new player experience interesting to hear.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 15:51:13.
    You can find me at:

I think you (Miru) are underestimating new players. Our org has acquired a few brand new players and they've learned the ropes and hit 220 in reasonable time. Making AO into WoW or SWToR will just kill it. AO is a niche product for those who enjoy a game of patience, the high learning curve and to some extent the long grinds; players who want high effort/high reward. This beast is not for the common gamer, and it will lose the players it does attract if it lowers the bar.

That said, there are several problems that stem from unique events in AO's history which need correction, especially the explosion of credits in circulation and the introduction of completely overpowered items (Combined armor). I repeat the suggestion I always make: lead bots should drop from S7 (maybe 10% from minibosses, more from end boss), 100% from APFs, and perhaps a S10-like PB system in Arid would help as well. Increasing the drop rate on SL dynas would also help. There is no need to dumb anything down; simply increasing the supply of the most expensive items, together with credsinks, will at least make the problem managable for new and vet players alike.

Also, remember that there will be that color coding for item rarity system incoming, which will help somewhat with your worry that new players won't know what is valuable or not.

**Edit: I think making the beta open would allow all of us to have a more intelligent conversation about upcoming updates. Once they completely open it up, get rid of the NDA, and allow everyone to test these changes and discuss them from a position of actual experience rather than speculation the conversation would be much more helpful.
    Last edited by Tryptophy; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 15:56:52.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Quote Originally Posted by Louderer789 View Post
    Wow. The recent replies in these threads make us trolls of yore look like fawning fanboys!
    I <3 FC, AO is teh gr8est game EVAR!

Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptophy View Post
    I think you (Miru) are underestimating new players. Our org has acquired a few brand new players and they've learned the ropes and hit 220 in reasonable time. Making AO into WoW or SWToR will just kill it. AO is a niche product for those who enjoy a game of patience, the high learning curve and to some extent the long grinds; players who want high effort/high reward. This beast is not for the common gamer, and it will lose the players it does attract if it lowers the bar.
    Some people try AO and stay, some go.. that's not news. I guess the question of the day is why do the people that try AO leave?

When I was playing WoW I found myself quite often discussing AO with my guildmates. Apparently despite the fact that i'm a bit put off by several things I speak enthusiastically enough about the game that between 3 guilds I was in, I managed to passively convince 6 people to register new froob accounts. Let me preface the rest of the post with the statement that I know that 6 people are not some sort of scientifically verifiable sample... just an example I'm familiar with.

- 4 of the 6 people stated they'd tried the game before and were so put off by the graphics that they didn't get past noob island. There were also the usual complaints about the interface being unclear, etc.

- All of them loved the twinking. These were guys that were great at min-maxing their toons in WoW, enjoyed raid strategy and number crunching and they were really impressed with what they could do in AO.

- All 6 people stopped playing the game before they reached level 150... pretty much all of them getting 'stuck' someplace between level 90-140.

- All 6 complained that it was too annoying to do simple things or obtain decent gear. They were all put off by the concept that they might have to join an org for support or that they couldn't just 'try the game' and make it through content their first time without having to spend a bunch of time grinding. Lots of statements regarding the uselessness of our LFT interface as well. There were other complaints but these were the universal statements from all 6 guys.

I'm sorry to be long winded (but it wouldn't be me if I wasn't) but these 6 guys are the type of people I'd want in AO. They are the type of people that I'd love to play with as they take pride in their game toons, try to learn the intricate details, fun to play with, have a competitive nature, etc. So I guess I disagree that conveniences shouldn't be added because then the game would attract some sort of 'stupid' player. That's a false stereotype really.

And reality is that I've played the game off and on for 10 years and I'll put myself out there by saying that I can twink and play with the best of them and I'd like some conveniences too. Does that make me a bad player because I don't want to have to play a game, in 2014, as if it were 1998?

And Tryp I know you didn't say stupid or bad.. not trying to put words in your mouth at all. It is something I hear from people though.. the concept that you either take AO as it is, without complaint, or 'your kind isn't wanted here' as if there isn't a middle ground that Funcom could create in order to retain talented players.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 16:30:57.
    You can find me at:

Hey, I know this question probably have been asked thousends of times but i am not up for reading 8 pages atm so ill just ask again

Is there a way to get into the beta server like if i pay for more months at a time or was that only for those who had money to do it when we got the mail? As i got money now but back then i just had money to pay for food and AO.

-Swifttech
    Swifttech - Nano Technician - Level 195
    Swiftkeep - Keeper - Level 60
    Swiftstealth - Shade - Level 130

Quote Originally Posted by Swifttech View Post
    Hey, I know this question probably have been asked thousends of times but i am not up for reading 8 pages atm so ill just ask again

Is there a way to get into the beta server like if i pay for more months at a time or was that only for those who had money to do it when we got the mail? As i got money now but back then i just had money to pay for food and AO.

-Swifttech
    There was a thing where you got access to the beta if you paid for a year's sub. Not sure if that's still going on or not.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Some people try AO and stay, some go.. that's not news. I guess the question of the day is why do the people that try AO leave?

When I was playing WoW I found myself quite often discussing AO with my guildmates. Apparently despite the fact that i'm a bit put off by several things I speak enthusiastically enough about the game that between 3 guilds I was in, I managed to passively convince 6 people to register new froob accounts. Let me preface the rest of the post with the statement that I know that 6 people are not some sort of scientifically verifiable sample... just an example I'm familiar with.

- 4 of the 6 people stated they'd tried the game before and were so put off by the graphics that they didn't get past noob island. There were also the usual complaints about the interface being unclear, etc.

- All of them loved the twinking. These were guys that were great at min-maxing their toons in WoW, enjoyed raid strategy and number crunching and they were really impressed with what they could do in AO.

- All 6 people stopped playing the game before they reached level 150... pretty much all of them getting 'stuck' someplace between level 90-140.

- All 6 complained that it was too annoying to do simple things or obtain decent gear. They were all put off by the concept that they might have to join an org for support or that they couldn't just 'try the game' and make it through content their first time without having to spend a bunch of time grinding. Lots of statements regarding the uselessness of our LFT interface as well. There were other complaints but these were the universal statements from all 6 guys.

I'm sorry to be long winded (but it wouldn't be me if I wasn't) but these 6 guys are the type of people I'd want in AO. They are the type of people that I'd love to play with as they take pride in their game toons, try to learn the intricate details, fun to play with, have a competitive nature, etc. So I guess I disagree that conveniences shouldn't be added because then the game would attract some sort of 'stupid' player. That's a false stereotype really.

And reality is that I've played the game off and on for 10 years and I'll put myself out there by saying that I can twink and play with the best of them and I'd like some conveniences too. Does that make me a bad player because I don't want to have to play a game, in 2014, as if it were 1998?

And Tryp I know you didn't say stupid or bad.. not trying to put words in your mouth at all. It is something I hear from people though.. the concept that you either take AO as it is, without complaint, or 'your kind isn't wanted here' as if there isn't a middle ground that Funcom could create in order to retain talented players.
    Good post Jill I have had similar things happen with people I have convinced to try AO. BTW we would know it was an imposter if there wasn't a wall of text hehe.

I taught a few newbies, and was disappointed when they left. The last one leveled to 100+ maybe 130. He, like many of us, avidly plays other MMO's so was hardly a nub. He froobed it for a month or so, then subbed. He got thoroughly disgusted at ks'ing twinks/220's and cancelled after one month. (Yes you may petition that, not very viable though.)

Typical marketing/customer service analysis says the for every person who actually complains, 25 just walk away.

Someone here, I forget who, made a list (6-ish) of modern conveniences AO should have. I didn't agree w/ all but most. The easier selling to vendors is was one of them.

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast