Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    He's referring to someone with multiple accounts just rolling a bunch of chars, and killing his own chars with his own chars. Rinse & repeat from both sides endlessly till you're 220/0/70 with zero effort.
    Yes, I know and he's right too - just my failed attempt at sarcasm.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

He's referring to someone with multiple accounts just rolling a bunch of chars, and killing his own chars with his own chars. Rinse & repeat from both sides endlessly till you're 220/0/70 with zero effort.
    That sounds like effort to me.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

Yes I agree that is what was being suggested but that is multiboxing by definition. And despite arguments from players FC has said it is legal to multibox. So what is being described in your "Rinse & repeat.." sentence is legal. We don't like it, but we have to accept FC is telling us it would be ok in the event they start giving XP/SK for PVP kills in the BS.

And that is why allowing MB is a rabbit hole they should have never gone down.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Yes I agree that is what was being suggested but that is multiboxing by definition. And despite arguments from players FC has said it is legal to multibox. So what is being described in your "Rinse & repeat.." sentence is legal. We don't like it, but we have to accept FC is telling us it would be ok in the event they start giving XP/SK for PVP kills in the BS.

And that is why allowing MB is a rabbit hole they should have never gone down.
    As far as I can remember, it is not allowed to farm PVP from your own alts.

This is a much easier thing to detect and categorically ban than differentiating between using multibox software and merely multiloggimg.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Clan Envoy of the Omni Organisation Committee
    Reporter for the Omni-Tek Press Corp

Quote Originally Posted by Encyros View Post
    As far as I can remember, it is not allowed to farm PVP from your own alts.

This is a much easier thing to detect and categorically ban than differentiating between using multibox software and merely multiloggimg.
    And you are right about that, but let's face it, FC has no resources or personnel to enforce anything.

The point was missed, it's not about multi-boxing exclusively (that's just a handy catch all description), if you can just dual or triple log and kill your own toons for xp.

XP for pvp is imo a bad idea if you can sit in a backyard or an empty bat station and not have any game interaction except with your own orphan black clone-club and level up.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Minigame pvp with attached currency/gear progression should have never been put in the game to begin with, it doesn't need xp gain, the only way to fix it is to get rid of it. It just doesn't belong, like most of The Expansion I Shall Not Name. PvP is towers, tara, or out in the world with flags and low suppression zones, not meaningless minigames with loser points and currency for mostly useless gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    My god...
    It's full of stars...

The pvm and pvp xp-dailies should probably be mutually exclusive.

Don't think killing players for xp or dailies with 'kill 10 mobs that flags you' will have a great impact on pvp since many doesn't wanna go for people thats just leveling and the levelers would probably want to get it done, but do it in a way where they avoid the entire pvp-aspect. Wouldn't know before it has been tried tho. Got 2 fail at something 2 succeed at something... What FC often do is make something (will to fight, miner-area, 4 holes) and when it fails they don't follow up on it with a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    No, getting rewarded for just being there is stupid.
    Why do you think that?

I think the tara-system for example has work good for the comunity (except the failraids where the opposing side doesn't show up) and many with only limited intrest in pvp. You get a reward just for showing up. If FC employed a similar system I think it be more pvp-action.

instead we have docs running around with an AS pistol and malpractice thinking they're some sort of assault profession
    Can see how fixers doesn't like as and malp. Slapping aimed shot on weapons to "fix" profession is very sloppy developement, but malp help the profession be less one-dimensional and it builds on the doctor's repetoir as a caster. Other professions have it worse, they added nano-init and -cost on agentgear for example, thinking it is more of a support-profession than it would be a infantry-profession, when it is infact a pure artillery-profession.

Furthermore the kind of rewards you're looking for would only encourage the lame "CH someone from sneak > step on teleporter > sneak again > repeat" agent gameplay that is your consistency, I'm guessing that's what you were going for in the first place.
    You would be able to do your signature-move 'run to lift and use healkit' aswell.

The point is, I'm not telling you how to play and I think this freedom is important to encourage pvp. I seen many players wants to get an equip and pvp, but they give up on it and quit.

And yeah, omagad; Agents focusing on concealment and subterfuge-skills, how inappropriate!

how exactly did LE make pvp fights more lasting ?
    Already said it/don't understand the question.

What's more efficient, a doc running around solo throwing the occasional heal when they're not too busy spamming malpractice or a doc in a team who focuses on keeping his teammates alive ?
    Depends entirely on the objective and the person's idea of fun.

Often it is tactically best to spread out and be more 'silent', especially for high priority-targets/easy targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Samcon View Post
    currency for mostly useless gear.
    wtb more phatz in vp-shop.
    Last edited by leetlover; May 8th, 2014 at 03:14:06.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Samcon View Post
    Minigame pvp with attached currency/gear progression should have never been put in the game to begin with, it doesn't need xp gain, the only way to fix it is to get rid of it. It just doesn't belong, like most of The Expansion I Shall Not Name. PvP is towers, tara, or out in the world with flags and low suppression zones, not meaningless minigames with loser points and currency for mostly useless gear.
    In my opinion, it is very hard to combine PVM and PVP in an MMO.

Either you end up with Griefer's Paradise or Carebear Central.
    The problem is not the game or the game mechanics, it's the players and player communities.

If you make it too PVP friendly, some scummy guy will start harassing weaker or defenseless players, and soon enough, that becomes the norm for everyone.
    In the old days, communities would punish such behavior internally, but values have changed since then (although in AO, they still exist to some extend).

Conversely, if you protect players too much, PVP will die unless you give people some incentive to do it.

That's why lots of MMOs have "Areas", "Warzones" or in AO's case, Battlestation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonde View Post

This is true.

Sure, there are some effects which are only granted IN a team directly (crat aura, umbral, such stuff), but I encounter every day situations in where I dont team with specific ppl but act in a team with them. On the other side, I join teams in where the ppl might be IN the team, but act like if they wouldnt be IN a team.
    I had my own ideas where we not only get titlepoints (or xp, whatever u want) for kills, but for stimming, unorooting, healing, G'ing etc. Can choose to team or not. The problem is it's too exploitable. It would work on battlestation cause you only get access to it when it is opponents, but not elsewhere. It also seems that duel-score discourage pvp. More rewards (xp, botz, nanos, stimulants, towers) for pvp could help. Many actually become 'pvp'ers' through lurking and then slowly breaking themselfs in. More pvm-content for popular pvp-twink ranges (200, 150-170) could also help pvm cause I don't think too many pvp'ers are strictly pvp.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    The point was missed, it's not about multi-boxing exclusively (that's just a handy catch all description), if you can just dual or triple log and kill your own toons for xp.

XP for pvp is imo a bad idea if you can sit in a backyard or an empty bat station and not have any game interaction except with your own orphan black clone-club and level up.
    Sorry for not expanding; I wasn't sure whether I should rehash the Multiboxing discussion since you were there.

It is against the rules to log a bunch of alts and farm PVP by having them kill each other.

The difficulty raised with regards Multiboxing, and FC claim they have no choice but to allow it, is that they find it difficult to differentiate between people using Multiboxing software and people on assist in a room with their friends, using mice or keyboard macros, et c. all the latter of which a majority of us would support.

The repeated killing of your own toons by your own toons is rather more clear-cut. There is no widely supported similar practice, as there is with Multiboxing and multilogging.

It's not allowed, and is reportable and bannable. 'You killed your own toons five times so you must be farming' is much easier to declare than 'Two of your toons executed actions in synch'.

In short, multilogging to farm pvp with yourself is against the rules.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Clan Envoy of the Omni Organisation Committee
    Reporter for the Omni-Tek Press Corp

Multiboxing in BS is hard to do accurate - there was a guy on 200 BS (two characters lvl 170 iirc) and he had only advantage only when coupled those characters, and it was like few times totally on empty BS. Other times he got raped because he was too bussy to go to exact location and was killed even by non twinks. So, if XP for kill in BS would be active it would cause rather good then any harm.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Multiboxing in BS is hard to do accurate - there was a guy on 200 BS (two characters lvl 170 iirc) and he had only advantage only when coupled those characters, and it was like few times totally on empty BS. Other times he got raped because he was too bussy to go to exact location and was killed even by non twinks. So, if XP for kill in BS would be active it would cause rather good then any harm.
    Really, people forced him to have intercourse with them? He should report this to the police.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Harsh punishment for multiboxing.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Doesn't necessarily mean it's hard, some people are abominable at playing just one character.

And seriously lol at people who think anyone would go through the effort of "farming themselves" on bs, did you stop to think for a second that they're not alone up there ? Running around spamming AS would get you more kills than trying to setup something yourself.

XP for pvp ftw!

Make it somewhat right, like finishing battlestation gives you XP alongside tokens. Killing a tower gives you xp, and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

You want a PVP daily that makes sense. This is my idea.

Go to John Smith and select "Uber PVP Mission" from him.
    Mission Uploads and you are immediately given the XP & VP rewards and marked completed. In addition to the 18 hour blocker mission you get a 18 hour Daily Mission PVP flag. So you get your big XP reward and for the next 18 hours you are attackable everywhere. So unless you are going to not do anything else and log out for 18 hours you take the risk of being ganked everywhere and all the negative effects of being flagged.

Just an idea.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post
    Also, killing a player should award XP. Participating in PvP should award XP. Winning a battle should award even more XP.
    Let me elaborate this since many of you got the wrong idea (my fault, I was thinking one thing and wrote it without any additional explaining).

Killing a player should award XP - but only in instanced PVP (or possibly tower wars). There are other people there, so dual-logging will not really be profitable - aside from the fact that it's breaking the EULA. (other people already mentioned that)

Participating in PVP should award XP - also, only instanced (or tower wars, maybe). Why not? It would add more fresh blood and players who don't like PvP will have a reason to try it out, with a good chance of facing more "PvP noobs". PvP won't be a "twink war" anymore.

Winning a battle - well, it's a logical step forward. You get a reward if you try, but you could get a better reward if you win. PvM players might get interested in PvP and try to better themselves at it.

Now, I'm not saying it should bring a lot of XP (afk-ing at kite hill should probably give more XP than PvP), but for those of us who actually want to play the game it would be great if we had more options open. Not to mention what one might learn about professions while participating in some healthy PvP exercises.
    Last edited by BytEfLUSh2; May 8th, 2014 at 23:42:06.

Quote Originally Posted by srompu View Post
    My god...
    It's full of stars...
    100 Sagans awarded to House Srompu.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast