Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

I heard Anarchy Online is going F2P... finally.

It was worth a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyros View Post
    Fr00bs also accrue VP alongside Paid players.

Being a former 200 fr00b myself, the VP I had upon upgrading was significant, and were it not for the generosity of a notorious ganker friend of the same profession, they would doubtless have been used to purchase the LE items I required.
    Hmm, INFO on my froobs doesn't show any VP.
    I cannot buy any OFAB either - "You must have the Lost Eden expansion!"

But if this is true, does it apply to all froobs or only froobs linked to paid accounts (like veterans points, which my froobs can see/use)?

Whether for items or credits, having a source of VP is independently useful to any fr00b contemplating an upgrade. Indeed, gaining a locked-out currency is itself a lure.
    Agreed, that would be an incentive.
    Where and when did FC document that?

You certainly seem to think so, at least in the context of AO
    Ah, sour grapes from the other thread.
    Well, someday you might understand the difference between capitalism and fraud.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Hmm, INFO on my froobs doesn't show any VP.
    I cannot buy any OFAB either - "You must have the Lost Eden expansion!"

But if this is true, does it apply to all froobs or only froobs linked to paid accounts (like veterans points, which my froobs can see/use)?
    The VP is still accrued even if you don't have LE, but then if you go an upgrade your froob account to include the expansions you'll see it reflected on your info page.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

As above, but in before a declaration that this accrual being overly obscure, every time you gain VP your new VP total is displayed in the chat window, in a similar way to you pool being displayed every time you are sent to reclaim.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Clan Envoy of the Omni Organisation Committee
    Reporter for the Omni-Tek Press Corp

I dislike pvp, i dislike competition in general. I think it promotes self and greed. Its you against everyone else and in the few occasions i have pvp'd ive generally come across players that think killing somebody with no pvp set up and zero to little pvp experience as fun. Its the equivalent of me killing a spider and congratulating myself on my toughness. almost like they see this non challenge against a non comparable toon as testament to their greatness when really it just strikes me as testament to their sadness. I will hardly ever pvp because i dislike it not because in making a stand or out of protest as somebody hinted at but simply because id rather spend my time doing the things i find fun. Forcing non pvpers into pvp content wont necessarily force us into pvp but more likely just exclude us from things we previously had access to such as daily xp streams and armor.

When i was little my sister played with dolls. I didn't like playing with dolls and no matter how many accessories my mum and dad bought for her, i played with things i wanted to play with and never bothered with her dolls.

Stop expecting me to play with girly dolls funcom!

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    Snip
    Competition is integral to the MMORPG.

That's not to say competition is always in the form of a zero-sum game. It's not always 'I live, you die'. But having player trading creates competition. Having itemisation creates competition. Having different builds, in a multiplayer setting, is an invitation for comparison.

These are essential characteristics of most MMORPGs
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Clan Envoy of the Omni Organisation Committee
    Reporter for the Omni-Tek Press Corp

So Genele. Are you happy with the activity lately in Battle stations? Been waiting since patch now for it to run. Ofc I have to log off every now and then. But.. it seems to run even less than before now, just as everyone except perhaps you predicted.

Happy with your decision?

Competition is as integral as you make it. Player trading isn't necessarily competition. If i trade some creds to my alt who am i in competition with? Myself? I don't generally buy items, i have done but its few and far between. I refuse to pay abnormally large prices most are forced to pay simply to satisfy the ego of the few who like to shout out about their wealth and power of being able to affect the markets so being someone that generally farms what i can and does without what i can not get id say this isn't a form of competition i partake in. I do agree though, it is competition and as already stated i dislike competition therefore dislike this. Again i agree that itemisation and gear acquisition is competition to some but not being of the persuasion to not team somebody simply because they don't have (pick suitably favoured gear here) then i wouldn't say i let this bother me. Having different builds does ofcourse open up comparison but that doesn't have to make it competition. None of this alters or affects my previous post though. I agree and understand that some people like competition but don't quite understand how forcing people into it when they have been fine without it for years helps the situation other than trying to provide meatshields or easy kills for epeen masters

So yes, I liked to have the option of the daily towers/notum miners missions.
    If the missions were fine for 4 years, it makes no sense to remove them now.
    Those pvp-missions were broken. They didn't 'work fine' for 4 years.

What G could do tho is replace them with pvm-versions (tag a guy, kill some grey mob) for the care.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    . I agree and understand that some people like competition but don't quite understand how forcing people into it when they have been fine without it for years helps the situation other than trying to provide meatshields or easy kills for epeen masters
    Nobody is being forced, except pvp'ers actually.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    Nobody is being forced, except pvp'ers actually.
    Yes agreed. My mistake no body is forced to do anything including pvpers. I guess it was wrong wording they are expected to though to keep enjoying the same gains as previously entitled to but yes forced is a too strong a word for it as since the last patch, the pvp daily reward for me is forsaken due to my choosing of the option to opt out of the underground bar daily. I have been known to join the bs when numbers have been needed to be run for friends that have signed up in the past. I have respected and adopted the pvpers stance of 4 capping but ifi had to do this daily as a means of gaining daily xp i probably wouldn't be so understanding of the veiws of others just to play nice. I bet I'm not the only one here either.

I do not have a problem with pvp, in fact I actually like to duel. What I do not like is backyard hopping or getting gang banged by 4 players at once on bat station. Which is why i prefer 1 on 1 head to head duels instead of mass pvp.

I do not have a problem with daily pvp MISSIONS as they stand now, they are pretty static and basic.

I do not like the idea of pvp for xp as I can imagine all types of exploitable scenerios, or to be more specific xp gained from actually killing other players. Harrassment from the flagged buff trick comes to mind if anyone remembers that fiasco from friendly auras running.

If the pvp mission was to kill "X" number of players on battle station or in the arena i'm ok with even that. But just as an additional xp source of killing random players in town for xp I think would be a bad idea.

Now only because FC communications are sometimes vague or not totally clear has this thread ballooned to this point. Is the intention in the future to allow xp gains from killing players in shops? Or is the intention to just have to hidden bartender missions only give xp for battle station? Will tower tags no longer count as pvp even if the tower is hot? Questions like these should be a pretty quick easy answer but we are forced to speculate and have pages of debates to merits or disadvantages to changes that may or may not ever happen.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    I do not have a problem with daily pvp MISSIONS as they stand now, they are pretty static and basi
    bs is dead the way they are now.
    The vanity of others runs counter to our taste only when it runs counter to our vanity.

BS is dead regardless of the missions. The only way to liven it up IMO will be after prof rebalance... IF profs are actually balanced. As it stands now you have ultra evades and ultra NR and everyone either has AS or mongo rage.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

did u actually do bs on a daily basis before the patch? on avarage u needed to wait 10m for an inv, got mostly instant invites.
    The vanity of others runs counter to our taste only when it runs counter to our vanity.

As above, but in before a declaration that this accrual being overly obscure, every time you gain VP your new VP total is displayed in the chat window, in a similar way to you pool being displayed every time you are sent to reclaim.
    Strangely, I do not recall VPs ever showing up when I turned in these missions on my froobs, but now it does, I just tried it.
    But of course that is still is overly obscure!
    Who, other than FC, would not advertise this feature as a possible incentive for froobs to convert?

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorOfMAnkind View Post
    did u actually do bs on a daily basis before the patch? on avarage u needed to wait 10m for an inv, got mostly instant invites.
    All that depends highly on the battlestation level and the time zone you are in.
    I've tried to do BS dailies on some of my lowbies and it wouldn't start for hours and hours.

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    Those pvp-missions were broken. They didn't 'work fine' for 4 years.
    They were just as broken as the "PVP" missions from the PVM mission guy and alien handler:
    4-Holes Graffiti, Basic Shoplifter and Distress Call (well, at least Distress Call has some TL7s ganking TL5s once in a while)
    Last edited by Grandpa; May 24th, 2014 at 20:19:43.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Actually i've NEVER done bs daily mission. Anytime i've ever done BS i waited in que and just went when availalble. I usually had already done the daily mission for notum miners and just wanted to do some BS so i sat in Bor or was organizing my bank while i waited for invite lol. The que wait made pulling the daily mission unreliable in my opinion.

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

All that depends highly on the battlestation level and the time zone you are in.
    I've tried to do BS dailies on some of my lowbies and it wouldn't start for hours and hours.
    saying bs is dead is VERY different than saying bs is dead at low levels

I like the idea of bs giving xp too.
    BS was a blast when it was packed. Made plenty omni/clam friends in there too... and probably a couple enemies .

Was such a blast people had to threaten me to get me to do anything else in the game for months.

And when it's packed, even leveling toons can help their side a lot, by meching or towering or playing brightly. With few players, leveling toons just get blasted repeatedly while running from cap spots to cap spots. No fun in there.

Also, by bs becoming a group thingy (not meaning a team thingy here), plenty pve'rs can enjoy themselves... they can't when they get rolled over by pvp experts. Also makes the dying less personal to them. They are part of a group fighting together. Not an individual getting constantly smacked.

When even I, a previously self-confessed bs addict don't get fun in it, it means it has a big problem.

Also, would be fun, I believe, to have a day in the weekend where only froobs can join the bs. This obviously needs tuning... the details are important, but the idea of being able to play with my froobs in the bs without getting utterly annihilated is compelling to me.
    That or fc gives them froobs some love.

Another reason to give froobs some love is to allow making the mobs stronger without ending with froobs smacked all over the place in pve. Because seriously, when a nt can solo most of the content of the game and, in a team, tank half of the rest, the pve kinda gets lame... more a job than a perillous attempt. Would also give some margin to fc for adding more stuff to be looted.

But yes, the new engine and new start need to go live so most of ao (puny) resources can become available again to implement some drastically new stuff.

Example of something drastically new: a spaceship that would depart every hour (or whatever), that players could board. The ship would be attacked during it's voyage. If players sucessfully repeal the invaders, it would land on a whole new world... one where rk/sl gear wouldn't work anymore (would require a new tab or two in gear window). There would be a level just for that world, so we would be starting fresh. That kind of stuff. I find that idea exciting. Heck could even be just rk but with different textures, different day-time rules and so on... for example, no targetting mobs without a light, so we would have to make fire and stand our ground around it or something, for the duration of the night.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    I'm sorry but to earn a significant reward for doing pvp, I feel that you should pvp. The xp reward on pvp missions were added to help pvpers level, not pvmers. I'm not punishing pvmers any more than I am punishing pvpers by having them do pvm content to level.
    Do you mind logging one of your toons so that BS will start? I am trying hard to play the game the way you think I should, but it is not working out as it seems not a lot of others are willing to do so!
    Liamboru 220 Engineer - Brianboru 220 Soldier - Padraigboru 150 Soldier - Tadghboru 60 Engineer - Cormacboru 15 Engineer
    ...and ofc, the army of buff hoes
    ------------------------------------
    PvPDood: Hey, come back and duel me again, I hardly ever get to fight a gimp like you! - Get a /tell like that and it sort of makes you want to evaluate what you thought was a twink!

Walker
    : Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy!
    Texas Ranger
    : I don't even know what that means, but I love it!

I hope the update next Saturday is kitten videos at least those are entertaining.
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast