Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

I hate to say it, but this work isn't helping anyone.

The reality is, is that having yet another XP source is useless.

There ALREADY are too many ways to level. What AO needs is ways to GET STUFF WHILE LEVELING.

If the SL missions reward players with useful gear, THEN it's worth while. but if not, then it's just yet another route to get from level A to level B which FURTHER dilutes the team pool.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    There ALREADY are too many ways to level. What AO needs is ways to GET STUFF WHILE LEVELING.
    Yeah. Uberpower in AO was never really hard to get. Edgepower was. Take medsuit for example, easy to get and quite powerfull at low levels, and you still use it at 220.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

i think new playfield is a good thing, becose its made for the players that remains, a new player couldnt care less anyways.

i would love to level in a new and diffrent way, insted of the same old way in the dungeons in inferno.

but i gotta say i would like pvp changes and mostly the profession balance we have ben promissed for 5 years or so now?

waited for a long time to see a keeper be equal to a 220 adv
    Last edited by Le-Quack; May 1st, 2014 at 04:08:35.

Holy hostile batman. I've seen quite a few swords rattled in my time here in AO, but I think this thread has managed to tip the scales already.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Not a word about the elephant in the living room.

I'll just sidestep the controversy and say i like the idea of the SL Mission. Its not radically different but its going to be a nice change from the current crop. I think making Easy and Hard variants is a really good idea (though maybe 'Normal' and 'Hardcore' would be better options) and really like the idea of a possibly appearing boss. hopefully he'll have some nice (but not too uber) loot.

Personally i'd mix it up and create 3-4 different bosses each with a different 'Trick' just so people dont get complacent.

Oh, one further suggestion: how about making the next poll have hidden vote counts? people are more likely to vote for what they really want even if it has a low rating rather than stacking their votes behind the 'least bad option that has a chance of winning'
    Last edited by Neista; May 1st, 2014 at 09:31:28.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

/lft Kite team at Sl inf mission

otherwise, dont bother.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

The idea of new Inf Missions are good but killing the kite option in ely - will kill many player. The Player, that playing more than years AO, won't spend much time in leveling a new toon. A second idea is, that funcom could bring more Quest in the Playfields for Leveling to keep the other zones alive (e.g Elder Scrolls Online with their Quest Leveling System, that is really good).

But i must say, i've never saw such an enmpty AO Server at the moment - it's like the End of the german AO Server. Where are the people??? The Battlestations are nearly dead over the days... Borealis are only 20 People online at the primetime and that are only omni's - whats going on here?

I think to keep the game alive, we need massive changes. One point for me is an new PvP Playfield where you must fight for Ressources (like outposts that you must conquer and defeat) against other Player and very strong NPC's (Towerfields on RK and the Battlestation should be replaced for the new PvP Playfield - the towerfields are totally boring nowadays - to old game mechanic). The Ressource give you advantages for your Nanoskills, Weaponskills and XP-Gain for example (not to high advantages 5-10% of your skills)...

And the other Point is the PvM/PvE Options in the Game. We need a hugh Playfield, where we must/should spend much time in it to kill the boringness in these game, that many people have and the reason is, that so many people leave these game. The new playfield should have an option to level with many Quests and Missions and should have Bosses + Instances, where you can collect same nice Stuff for your Character. You can only get access to these Instance, when you finished some Access-Quest for it (some idea to keep it interessting). The Playfields should have an history for the Quest and should be a little bit difficult. The Playfield should have an Access-Level over 201 to avoid little Character in it...

These things could bring the fun back in AO and the player too... Only the new graphic engine and the new ability of leveling in Inferno are not enough...
    A Game without any new updates, is a dead game...

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/FUNCOM:NO - Funcom: Probability-Of-Bankruptcy 54% - https://www.vg247.com/2015/08/11/age...m-up-for-sale/
    No more developing MMO's - http://cdn.funcom.com/investor/2016/...2016_Plans.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    The reason why these changes were never done was that we expected a huge emo rage from a large part of the community.
    and this would be different from the responses to the last few proposed changes *how* exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    Not a word about the elephant in the living room.
    Rageeeeeeeeeeeee.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Oh, hey - they added TSW's Scenarios to AO! Because that was totally what AO was missing, and everyone simply looooooves grinding scenarios in TSW amirite?

So, what do you get for it aside from some SK? Any kind of gear or loot at all? How is it useful, particularly to characters that aren't yet 220 - especially when the rate of gear acquisition in this game lags significantly behind the rate of XP acquisition unless you have some sort of sugar daddy?

It is nice to see a monthly letter posted on time/early though!

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    It is nice to see a monthly letter posted on time/early though!
    1st of May is national holiday in Norway.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

Quote Originally Posted by Beornin View Post
    1st of May is national holiday in Norway.
    And the AO devs are located in North Carolina USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
    And the AO devs are located in North Carolina USA.
    Canada.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

I can't keep track of there they are, so I stick to Norwegian calendar.

Just hoping they won't move to Greece,
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

RK missions need fixed yet we waste time on this crap forgetting froobs and multi-logging of accounts support this game. How hard would it be to raise rk mission rewards by 100%++ and delete and rebuild its loot tables with viable loot?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    How hard would it be to raise rk mission rewards by 100%++ and delete and rebuild its loot tables with viable loot?
    It's not hard but they can't copy/paste that stuff like they can yet another ONE ROOM INSTANCE where you sit and wait for monsters to spawn. Bet that took like 1 hour to make, tops. Just like it'll get boring after 1 run same as all the other sit tight and shoot instances.
    Last edited by Pafpuf; May 1st, 2014 at 14:18:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    It's not hard but they can't copy/paste that stuff like they can yet another ONE ROOM INSTANCE where you sit and wait for monsters to spawn. Bet that took like 1 hour to make, tops. Just like it'll get boring after 1 run same as all the other sit tight and shoot instances.
    But it's not possible to make any kind of exciting leveling content if it's exciting, it means there's risk and difficulty involved, meaning people will think it's less safe to do than afk hecklers or just grinding something that has no, or a much smaller, risk involved. It doesn't matter if it's very high reward either, because that means people will want to do it, and because it will be viewed as something challenging, only the "right" professions will be invited to participate.

Which puts us back at status quo. So, no matter what they do, people (in general) will not use it. Which probably means that it shouldn't even have been an option to vote for.

Man. The carebears ruined this game.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    Pretty sure you're not envisioning this right. The way I've understood it, it sounds like a lot of fun. But as Masta points out, fun means risk. People don't want risk, so they'll do the boring, then they'll complain it's not fun enough.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    I'm not saying that I can't fix it, I'm just saying it will make a lot of people upset. I have a design document somewhere. Where I had designed heckler instances where NTs could kite... solo. And nerfing level ranges of the hecklers to match the zones they are in. So that the correct level players fight the hecklers in the zones they should. Lastly make hecklers and spirits fear high level players to prevent outside tanking. We could also change the teaming level ranges.

The reason why these changes were never done was that we expected a huge emo rage from a large part of the community. Trust me, I have wanted to swing a nerf bat at afk leveling for a very long time.
    Why not try at it from a different approach? Make it more lucrative to do other things (missions, zone mobs, etc) that would make leveling up more engaging, rather then sitting and afking? Could there be a way to make rubi-ka missions with huge xp bonuses for completing for example? I always wished that rubi-ka was 1-200 and shadowlands was a 200-220 world..

*** I think it would drive more people to play with froobs if there was a easier way for them to level up that competes with shadowlands, I mean wouldn't that possibly drive them more to purchase shadowlands?
    Hells Heroes
    Montelukast 220 Doctor - Redsonjah 220 Enforcer - Blackgammon2 220 Engineer
    Hellsheroes 220 Nano-Tech - Tinykungfu 220 Martial Artist - Dayvidian 220 Soldier
    Allomancer 213 Keeper - Captplanet 217 Meta-Physicist - Mrspeed 200 Fixer

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast