Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Silentslashy View Post
    Biggest issue i have pvm is getting chars from 150-200, 201-220 i have no problem.
    Also now the 3x bs daily is getting scrapped its going to be even slower and lonlier.

Scheol/ado quests or instances that would give mega xp but in shorter level incriments would be
    Ideal. say an ado quest line ala dark ruins that you can do once that would get you from
    150-160 and same in pen would be nice.

Am i the only one that has issues with 150-200?

Also not a fan of 160's leeching in inferno missions
    No you're not.. that's why people end up running their 160's through inferno missions while multi-logged.. because the alternative options are absolutely dreadful.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

You should focus on the whole lvling experience from a solo perspective. The problem is with team playing when the numbers are not there people get bored and try to find short cuts. I'm not saying cut the team play out at all but make soloing equal to it. Make the daily reward the quest reward and make some randomised quests that are lvl adaptive so if I want to play for 10 levels today I can just keep questing. Or if that team finally does show I can join that.
    Himshe

im in *^TehGang^*

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    Your logic is a bit flawed.

The content added was for both PVP and PVM players. You use the gear and buffs in those PVM areas to PVP, right?
    Yes the content is used by both - see my previous post about forcing pvp'ers to pvm. That doesn't change the fact it's pvm content - my reply was for Aiken claiming pvp'ers would have somehow gotten more things than PvM'ers.

Most are not making a case against fixing PVP areas/zones - but not at the expense of the majority of players that don't PVP. PVP - as you noted - is player driven. The areas to PVP exist and most are not used by anyone. I agree to fix/update those - but why is the GD making changes that really were not needed and not asked for? Do you think the BS will run more now?
    BS already runs much less (from what I've heard), but for others reasons. My best guess is the effect of this particular change will be +-0. The importance of this change is another matter, there are so many more important things to fix. But at this point I've already stopped wondering AO devs' priority lists

Based on Genele's comments about PVP, I would assume the path for PVP leveling would require to kill other PVPers. Missions to kill a specific prof or number of other sides for example. That would be true PVP-leveling. Gaining PVP gear? I guess the only real way (again, using the PVP paradigm) is to take the gear off other players.
    SWTOR for instance uses PvP matches as a way to level purely by pvp. The equivalent in AO would be the BS dailies with no lockouts. They also give out tokens (VPs in AO) which can be used to buy gear (OFAB in AO). There was talk about adding open world pvp leveling (NW in AO) options around the time I left, not sure if those got implemented (Ilum fix etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    I have to echo those sentiments too. all this focus on the most broken, boring & exploited section of the game is really annoying to those of us with little to no interest in it. Over the years i've seen thing after thing done for pvp with them being basically dead or unused within weeks. Quit pandering to the noisy pvp'ers, they are a MINORITY in this game and start giving some more focus to the rest of us.
    oh dear, a crat professional that dislikes pvp

what has this world come to!!

*waves*

Quote Originally Posted by Freor View Post
    It's totally fine to force pvp-players to PvM in order to level/get gear, but heaven forbid making a totally optional mission that involves pvp and gives xp!
    So then you wont mind if doing the pvp daily locks you out of doing the pvm daily.
    Afterall if the pvm types are going to lose a source of xp, its fair right?

Taking away the xp rewards on pvp missions that are somewhat non-pvp friendly isnt going to force anyone in to doing more BS, its not going to encourage anyone to be more involved in pvp, there is NO benefit to the pvp community in taking this xp source away.

Actualy, if you REALY wanted to force pvm players in to pvp, then taking away the VP rewards NOT the xp rewards would have the desired effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    So then you wont mind if doing the pvp daily locks you out of doing the pvm daily.
    Afterall if the pvm types are going to lose a source of xp, its fair right?
    *Scratches head* I'm bit confused what you mean.. are you suggesting making BS daily lock you out of Clan Agency dailies? Or the John Smith one? The latter already happens afaik. First one would likely make BS run even less - not a good move. Considering how much the pvp-types have to do pvm atm, I don't feel offering a little carrot in the form of xp reward from a BS-daily is totally unfair for the pvm-folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    Taking away the xp rewards on pvp missions that are somewhat non-pvp friendly isnt going to force anyone in to doing more BS, its not going to encourage anyone to be more involved in pvp, there is NO benefit to the pvp community in taking this xp source away.

Actualy, if you REALY wanted to force pvm players in to pvp, then taking away the VP rewards NOT the xp rewards would have the desired effects.
    If you have done all the daily Clan Agency quests and you have the option to either wait 18 hours or complete one more daily by joining BS, many people will join that. So far the tag-towers has been the obvious choice due to how ridiculously easy/fast it was. Sure, some of the "I will never do anything pvp" types will avoid it out of principle if nothing else, but there are many players in the mainly pvm side of things that aren't totally allergic to pvp. Especially now with dying NW that BS round might be exactly the small pvp-dose they want - and they even get rewarded for it.

The benefit, to me anyway, of doing the John Smith daily was the VP. Don't get me wrong, the xp was nice as well but my primary reason for needing to do that one was the discovery that doing a John Smith daily a day will generally yield me enough VP to cover any items I need by the time a toon has reached TL7.

There are still a lot of xp/token dailies:

Clan agency daily
    Clan agency elite daily
    SL Doja daily
    SL Instance Doja daily
    SL Elite daily

If you do those and add in almost any other form of solo or team leveling (plus the random SL questlines) most people will level faster than they can keep up with gear-wise.
    You can find me at:

pvm people have gotten loads of content.. pvp has no uppgrades since battlestation.. notum area is a bit boring, i didnt like it becose its doesnt let you use the area 100% by jumping on roof etc.. pvp is pvp.. and any object should be 100% used in the area.

also battlestation should never ben decrased in size and it should let it be atleast twice as much players to enter..

i would say its easy to make a system in battlestation where the teams are balanced even if u could open it upp to let it be like 20 vs 20 as max.

say you have 20 claners in queue but only 7 omnis.. then open upp for 7 vs 7 in battlestation. if 3 more omnis sign it would be 10 vs 10.. so on upp to max of 20 vs 20.

the system is not unfair in any way.. and it opens upp for more mas pvp and tactic use of mechs and fighting in groups.

They really should look at fixing the notum miner area. I've told this story on the forums before but I recall a time where a bunch of us were on aospeak and decided to go pvp in the notum miner area. We had omni, clan and neutrals.. some on teamspeak.. some not. It was total chaos because you didn't know who was working together and it was one of the most entertaining pvp experiences I've had in game (outside of pre-LE tower wars).

I see so much potential in the notum miner area that really got wasted with a fail implementation and further failure to correct flaws that prevented people from using it.

Maybe I'm too event oriented but I feel like Funcom missed out on a great opportunity to host periodic 'last man standing' competitions.. assuming that they could make minor adjustments where once you got killed you were unable to enter for a period of time (i..e remainder of competition round). And there's no reason they couldn't do that since they could just cast a buff on you that prevents re-entry like they do for so many other areas. I think the only mechanic they'd need to work out is making it so you could tab anyone, regardless of faction, while in there.
    Last edited by Traderjill; May 2nd, 2014 at 17:53:33.
    You can find me at:

With froobs having zero reason to do the other pvp daily variants, I don't think the opportunity to get slaughtered on the BS for one xp reward are going to have folks lining up.

This just seems like yet another attempt to fill the BS with fodder. They have never ran consistently across TL ranges, and this won't change that either.

Why does FC manage to upset so many people, when there are so many opportunities to deliver changes and updates that would be applauded by most?

FC ticked off the Europeans by arbitrarily charging them more for the same product.
    How hard can it be to have unified pricing? Other MMOs don't have issues with that.

FC ticked off the PVPers by condoning multi-boxing.
    My PVP days are long gone, but even I can understand that they just wanted fair play.
    I've never seen it before that a company publicly sides with exploiters.

FC ticked off people who like their privacy with mandatory inspect because FC's wants us to do their job and catch cheaters for them.
    And speaking of that, they ticked off every honest player by a) making huge coding blunders and then b) doing NOTHING to mitigate the damage!

Now they are upsetting the froobs, the only potential new customers of AO, by gutting the John Smith missions.
    All of a sudden and years after release, the missions are now deemed too easy.
    So, more borg-grinding or getting annihilated in BS will make AO more attractive?

And I hear (credible) rumors that neutrals will get theirs soon enough too.
    That nonsensical, decade-old doctrine that neuts are not a faction, shouldn't own towers, and won't be part of the NPE, is being pushed again.
    Yes, denying game reality in favor of doctrine will surely attract more business.

Aside from a handful of yokels that believe FC's doodoo smells like roses, have they forgotten to aggravate anyone?

McKnuckleSamwich (now deleted) post was inappropriate, but correct in its core:
    There really is no plan, no method to the madness.
    All unfinished, random patchwork and clearly mismanaged by FC.
    AO is like a college programming project that we all pay for.

But I don't want to end on such a negative note.
    As I wrote above, there are many opportunities to improve the game without pissing anyone off!
    Sure, you cannot please everyone, but here are some small suggestions that MOST people would appreciate:

- After the move to instanced cities, org-only shops are gone. How about giving us a shared org bank for items?
    - Or fix the alpha spirit trade skills. Alphas were an integral part of LoX, yet 5 years later they are STILL bugged.
    - Or fix the darn doors to the clan/omni agencies. Everyday, on every toon, I have to try zoning 5 times before they finally work.
    - Or fix the glitchy team health bars that frazzle every doc for the last decade.
    - Or, as many have suggested, update the XP gains and loot tables for RK missions.

Would anyone object to such a patch?
    Last edited by Grandpa; May 2nd, 2014 at 20:17:53.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

I really can't believe anyone even cares about that John Smith daily change. It takes me a maximum of maybe 7 min to do that daily on almost any character on my account. I have been wondering, for years, when it was going to get nerfed.. and I know many other people have wondered as well. It involved zero (0) PvP. At best it should have been a one-time daily just to point newbies toward towers and get them to see that they exist... or one of the Clan agency dailies offered at a lower level.

What was it, a couple years ago when they nerfed the SL garden and sanctuary key sk? Again, it was one of those things that we all took advantage of but everyone knew it was really too good to be true. Just like this most recent change to the John Smith dailies, you could get sorta upset when it is removed but you can't say it isn't a legitimate move.

Now the biggest issue I have with this change is that I believe it is meant to kinda push people towards battlestations again. That's fine and dandy, but there are some significant issues with battlestations. For instance, the fact that it barely runs and the issues with you signing up, getting warped to the battlestation and then getting kicked because there aren't enough participants. Have any of these queue issues been addressed?

Anyway, what's the change that affects neutrals?
    Last edited by Traderjill; May 2nd, 2014 at 21:09:02.
    You can find me at:

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    McKnuckleSamwich (now deleted) post was inappropriate, but correct in its core:
    Are you ****ting me? The most degrading post I've ever read on the internet, outside of forums with anonymous users, was "correct in its core"?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    All unfinished, random patchwork and clearly mismanaged by FC.
    So this is where you continue to spew your ignorance about running the game? You are completely unable to tie together what you think is mismanaged with the fact that Funcom are managing AO well. The sentences you form are syntactically correct, but they convey no meaning.

AO is like a college programming project that we all pay for.
    It really is a shame that one is not required to understand anything to have an opinion about it. The lack of simple decency for the work someone puts into something being displayed here is staggering. I get that it can be frustrating being a part of a strange situated MMO like AO, but straight up demeaning and debasing the ones that do try to take care of what you get up to yell about everyday is so lost on me that I'm happy you have no idea what you're talking about. But I'm not happy that you think it's OK to behave the way you do. Ask vhab to explain some of the hardships he went through tackling AOs code. Maybe you'll get an insight into why the level of programming going on in this project is above the level of 90% of professional programmers in the world.

I get that it's hard to see that, but assuming the converse to such a degree that you take it upon yourself to slander the work being done is something I'd assume no decent human being would do.

- After the move to instanced cities, org-only shops are gone. How about giving us a shared org bank for items?
    - Or fix the alpha spirit trade skills. Alphas were an integral part of LoX, yet 5 years later they are STILL bugged.
    - Or fix the darn doors to the clan/omni agencies. Everyday, on every toon, I have to try zoning 5 times before they finally work.
    - Or fix the glitchy team health bars that frazzle every doc for the last decade.
    - Or, as many have suggested, update the XP gains and loot tables for RK missions.

Would anyone object to such a patch?
    Well, I'd try and explain the complexity of the things you ask. I'd use non-technical imagery to explain the reason why it'd take a much longer time to fix these things than you think it would, but I don't think it hardly matters. Even if a coder responded and said "I'll do exactly these changes", your tone would be just as demeaning when it's not fixed tomorrow. Or the day after that. It'd try and explain the way zoning works and that you'd have to rewrite basic levels of the entire server engine to have it work differently, not so that you'd understand why it'd take so long to fix it, but so that you might understand why it'll never change and how your level of comprehension has you lacking a perspective of what to focus on and how, which luckily is a skill the current developers do have.

But, you know, it's not like they'd ever be credited for that. Because, why say they have a good skill when you can say everything they aren't fixing. Why try and give credit where credit's due when one can instead belittle the ones whose job it is to sustain what is assumably perceived by you as a piece of garbage, which raises the question why you're still around, to no avail, I'm sure.

But, yeah. You pay, so you have the right to fling your excrement everywhere. And exercise that you must!
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

I have said this before but it bears repeating. There is a way to get Battle Station to run that would have a big impact on Towers. Wow. So hear me out.

Since the back story is that the orbital strike comes from the battle station then it would make sense that a faction should control the battle station to be able to use the orbital strike. How do you control the battle station? By winning a battle station round of course.

How to find out who controls the battle station. We would use a chat command as follows
    chat> /station
    The Battle Stations are under the control of
    Station Level Range x to y :<insert faction> faction. Tower Field with Control Tower in level range of a to b can use orbital strike.
    Station Level Range x to y :<insert faction> faction. Tower Field with Control Tower in level range of a to b can use orbital strike.
    The faction with control in a level range has access to orbital strike on towers associated with that level range. Have a great day nuking from space!

So this brings up the first possible change to BS. Neut's would need to take control of the station to have access to orbital strike. That means the station would have to allow neut's to sign up as such vice supporting a given side. So three way battles in the station. Or Genele can just screw neut's and say they don't get orbital strike anymore since they are not a real faction. Note the station would still start when two factions have enough people to fight. So neut's and clan could conspire to start the station and one side just loose so that omni would loose control of orbital strikes.

Rules for control. The station must have been won by a faction in the last hour for a faction to control it. The last faction to win is the controlling faction. These rules setup the constant fighting. If you win you have access to orbital strike for 1 hour but no more without winning again. The 1 hour limit is to make not signing up a valid strategy for holding control but limit that strategy to being effective for a short period time. This is to be fair. It makes winning battle station about so much more of the PVP foot print. But as I said the other two side could conspire and take control with a planned start and cap round to give control to one of them and remove it from the side that did not show up. Make life interesting at a minimum.

If people don't do battle station in a given level range then no one has access to orbital strike. If you want to attack a tower site and make it harder defend then you need to plan in a winning BS run prior to the attack for the proper level range. Likewise if you loose the BS round and still go for the hot tower site you know that you can be orbital struck and winning will be harder.

This idea needs some more fleshing out but really, connect the two areas and give people a reason they HAVE to do battle station otherwise there is a real impact on the rest PVP scene. Oh and if we are going to have control I also submit that orbital strike be allowed as an offensive weapon as well. Just to give you one more reason to keep fighting for control.
    Last edited by Lheann; May 2nd, 2014 at 21:51:31.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth56 View Post
    Well, I'd try and explain the complexity of the things you ask. I'd use non-technical imagery to explain the reason why it'd take a much longer time to fix these things than you think it would, but I don't think it hardly matters.

In your expert opinion, how long do you think it would take to fix that healthbar bug that Grandpa was talking about? I'm not trying to be funny but I've been playing since 2004 and it was a problem even back then. And healthbars bugging out.. that's kinda a big deal in a video game where healers are expected to monitor the health of their team mates. I don't know how bad the code is in the game, and I'm no expert but I can't imagine it takes 10 years to fix that problem yet I know people have been complaining about it at least that long.

The concept that it takes 10 years to fix hp bars is just... unimaginable. So, anyone in their right might can only assume that the reason it wasn't fixed is because it wasn't a priority. Or do you really think it takes 10 years for them to fix hp bars? It appears to be some sort of weird synch issue because targeting the person and hitting T twice fixes it. I'd think they'd be able to figure out what's causing that problem by now.
    Last edited by Traderjill; May 2nd, 2014 at 22:08:42.
    You can find me at:

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    In your expert opinion, how long do you think it would take to fix that healthbar bug that Grandpa was talking about? I'm not trying to be funny but I've been playing since 2004 and it was a problem even back then. And healthbars bugging out.. that's kinda a big deal in a video game where healers are expected to monitor the health of their team mates. I don't know how bad the code is in the game, and I'm no expert but I can't imagine it takes 10 years to fix that problem yet I know people have been complaining about it at least that long.

From a layman's view the issue isn't that it can't be fixed or would take a long time to fix. The issue seems to be that they simply haven't prioritized some of these things OR these types of issues have gotten lost in some black hole of 'things to do'. But hey, I could totally be wrong and maybe it does take 10 years to fix the hp bar bug.
    I'd wage it'd basically require a full rewrite of the networking code. So that's basically how long.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

I'd wage it'd basically require a full rewrite of the networking code. So that's basically how long.
    How long is that? Again, its been 10 years. My knowledge of coding doesn't go much further than programming classes I took in 1st/2nd year engineering school back in the 90's.. so no idea how much time it takes but I know that full games have been released in the time that the hp bars are still broken.
    You can find me at:

it really isn't a matter of how long it will absolutely take to fix something. if the cost of fixing it is greater than the perceived utility gained, it will never be fixed. If you go to any software company from google down to a 1 man start up, you will see that there are backlogs of bugs that never get fixed because they do not have the priority.

Quote Originally Posted by semisentient View Post
    it really isn't a matter of how long it will absolutely take to fix something. if the cost of fixing it is greater than the perceived utility gained, it will never be fixed. If you go to any software company from google down to a 1 man start up, you will see that there are backlogs of bugs that never get fixed because they do not have the priority.
    Right, that's the point I was making.. that the issue isn't how long it takes as much as the fact that it's not high on the priority list.
    You can find me at:

Are you ****ting me? The most degrading post I've ever read on the internet, outside of forums with anonymous users, was "correct in its core"?
    When reading something, even something that offends you, read it in its entirety.
    The inappropriate part was the rant against women, that's why it was removed.
    The core was a proper description of the chaos that has been reigning in AO for years.

<long emotional rant in support of FunCom, full of personal insults, but lacking substantiated facts >
    Let me just briefly respond to this one, because I think it's necessary.

I get that it's hard to see that, but assuming the converse to such a degree that you take it upon yourself to slander the work being done is something I'd assume no decent human being would do.
    Slander, libel (and defamation too) are legal terms.
    Slander refers to the spoken word, libel refers to what is written.
    In tort, truth is a defense to slander and to libel.
    I'm confident that everything I write here, I can back up with facts (although the forum rules may preclude me from posting them here).

Look, I assume you have connections to FunCom (maybe a spouse or family member?) and so your emotions get the better of you.

But be careful when you accuse me of libel.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast