Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    How long is that? Again, its been 10 years. My knowledge of coding doesn't go much further than programming classes I took in 1st/2nd year engineering school back in the 90's.. so no idea how much time it takes but I know that full games have been released in the time that the hp bars are still broken.
    semisentient is right on the ball. Well, I'm sure the coders could rewrite the whole thing in... well.. Half a year of work hours? A year? It'd be a huuuge project to undertake.
    Sephiroth56 - 220 NT Atlantean - equipment
    Articate - The Brave New World.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    When reading something, even something that offends you, read it in its entirety.
    The inappropriate part was the rant against women, that's why it was removed.
    The core was a proper description of the chaos that has been reigning in AO for years.
    The core was sexist discrimination. The alleged state is one I'm sure you could defend. However, its attribution was completely rampant and off-target. The amount of truth found in that post was akin to that of a broken watch. Irrelevant and fleeting.

Slander, libel (and defamation too) are legal terms.
    Slander refers to the spoken word, libel refers to what is written.
    I'm confident that everything I write here, I can back up with facts (although the forum rules may preclude me from posting them here).

Look, I assume you have connections to FunCom (maybe a spouse or family member?) and so your emotions get the better of you.

But be careful when you accuse me of libel.
    Be careful? I'd be serious about saying you were libelous, but it would imply that anyone takes you seriously.

The closest I've been to being affiliated to Funcom was applying for a job there when I was 18. I chat with a core of AO players, which is why I know the core of AO but amn't often around these forums. The emotion that are getting the best of me is are in reaction to the lack of common decency and the eroded morals of these forums. Your bile barrage of non-sequiturs and unwillingness to see your own lack of understanding, is nothing but the cancer that will kill AO. I've argued its nihilistic character, before.

I get that you are upset. I don't think that warrants anything that you're currently engaging in, and I cannot for the life of me understand why you are spending your energy on this game.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth56 View Post
    <yet another emotional post, full of personal insults, without any facts>
    Are you finished?

I live in Silicon Valley.
    I would never claim to be an expert myself, but I know many high-tech professionals, including a lead programmer for a well-known game developer.

If I call her up now, what do you think her reply would be, if I ask:
    - if missing a check for negative numbers that causes serious damage to a game is an excusable "oversight" as you claimed before,
    - or if it would really take 10 years to fix a buggy health bar?

I gathered from your last post that you are still quite young and probably don't know better yet.
    So be advised, neither your emotional outbursts nor your whimsical excuses are doing your, or FunCom's, credibility any favors.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    So this brings up the first possible change to BS. Neut's would need to take control of the station to have access to orbital strike. That means the station would have to allow neut's to sign up as such vice supporting a given side. So three way battles in the station. Or Genele can just screw neut's and say they don't get orbital strike anymore since they are not a real faction. Note the station would still start when two factions have enough people to fight. So neut's and clan could conspire to start the station and one side just loose so that omni would loose control of orbital strikes.
    Factions should just be removed from the BS, and have it be Red v Blue with random side assignments.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Stop making excuses for them Sephiroth, yes it's hard. Yes it's time consuming. But it is their job.
    Brofist 220/30/70 Engineer
    Techbro 220/30/70 Nano-Technician

If I call her up now, what do you think her reply would be, if I ask:
    - if missing a check for negative numbers that causes serious damage to a game is an excusable "oversight" as you claimed before,
    As I have said before, negative rollover bugs have sneaked past coders before, in higher budget games with more QA... they have even sneaked into AO before, though granted with less dire consequences.

That is not a bug that needs to be harped on - it happened, it continues to happen in other MMOs. What was inadequate was the response. Honestly, there should have been another rollback.

Grandpa, I have found myself agreeing with you more and more, but there's the occasional post that just makes you look sort of foolish, in a Christian Bale rant sort of way.

Calling someone else overly emotional when you fire back with what are basically groin kicks if true, and merely hilarious if false, is not the level of post I have come to expect.

At least you are no longer claiming to be the voice of the silent majority.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by Brofist View Post
    Stop making excuses for them Sephiroth, yes it's hard. Yes it's time consuming. But it is their job.
    I really can't remember making any excuses. I'm sure we could convince the devs to rewrite the network code. It's just that that would be the only thing happening for the next year. And I know that's not what we want.
    Sephiroth

Four enforcers
    trapped by the sea
    one teased the 'techi
    then they were three

All XP dailies took away players from doing regular missions. It was like this:

- Log in X chars. Repeat dailies till you fill everything. Wait till next day.

I like that dalies are toned down - really I do, because even that I like sometimes to play solo, it was onl viable way to get XP, because it is EASIEST way, so noone is doing other way of leveling except kite...

So, i Dailies are toned down, maybe FC will boost UP reward or XP in Team missions to encourage players to expore them? Sersioulse Genele, this is very good feature, even for oldies and totaly noob ones, and you have got it ready, just need to tweak!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Ok, my ignorance of what the heck they're doing with the new engine is about to be shown by my next couple statements.

So the hp bar bug is supposedly a result of an issue with the network code. That means that all of the work they're doing on the new engine will have 0 impact on that, correct? Is the same to be said of whatever causes people to randomly get stuck in the geometry (i.e. the mess known as scheol)? Will we still have the 'bodies falling under the ground' problem with the new engine?

I guess my question... are we getting just new visuals or does having a new engine fix any of the annoying stuff we've been dealing with in the current engine?
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Ok, my ignorance of what the heck they're doing with the new engine is about to be shown by my next couple statements.

So the hp bar bug is supposedly a result of an issue with the network code. That means that all of the work they're doing on the new engine will have 0 impact on that, correct? Is the same to be said of whatever causes people to randomly get stuck in the geometry (i.e. the mess known as scheol)? Will we still have the 'bodies falling under the ground' problem with the new engine?

I guess my question... are we getting just new visuals or does having a new engine fix any of the annoying stuff we've been dealing with in the current engine?
    New engine will probably fix a part of geometry issues as they have to re-export playfields and might take some time fixing the more common issues, but the stucks are separated from engine itself.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

The new engine is merely an update to the game's graphics system. The beta still has the same latency issues as the old client so it's a safe bet that they haven't touched the network code at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Lets be brutally honest here: PVP missions from the neutral "secret" bar in Borealis were meant to be pvp missions. Sadly, most of these missions aren't even close to being pvp and doesn't encourage pvp. You can tab towers in a tower field without pvping. I have had players yelling at me when I attacked them in the notum miner area, which was designed to be a pvp area.
    I'm sorry but to earn a significant reward for doing pvp, I feel that you should pvp. The xp reward on pvp missions were added to help pvpers level, not pvmers. I'm not punishing pvmers any more than I am punishing pvpers by having them do pvm content to level.

Doing a battlestation round to get the maximum reward for a pvp daily is not a punishment. I have pvped with plenty of completely gimped characters in the battlestation. You can still be of use if you play smart, cap points and mech up when it gets too rough. If you don't care about pvp ranks and reputation, does it really matter if you die a few times? I mean you don't even get resurrection sickness in the battlestations.
    IIRC before my time there was a patch that made items fall off if you no longer had the stats to keep them equipped - and the patch notes read that this was intended to make debuffs more useful. Chaos followed.

I see the same thing here (admittedly on a much smaller scale) - there are "intentions" that the game be a certain way that certainly make sense but when put into the wild won't really benefit the player's experience. Certainly one can say that the Bor missions should be real pvp-oriented missions, but that isn't how they have been and I think almost no one sees them that way. Changing them after so long is just forcing a square peg historical intention into a round hole current reality.

To be fair, I don't think this change will really have that great of an effect. But it is a red flag to me that FC's thought process may not be taking the balance between elegant conceptual design vs. gritty facts on the ground into full consideration.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Thanks for the update Genele!

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    As I have said before, negative rollover bugs have sneaked past coders before, in higher budget games with more QA... they have even sneaked into AO before, though granted with less dire consequences.
    Yes, you are right about that.
    I bring that up often, but probably not for the reason you think.

People make mistakes, even big ones. I make mistakes too, that's a given.
    It is how you respond to a mistake that makes all the difference!

Will you take responsibility and do your best to fix the damage or will you try to sweep it under the rug?
    Since the damage is still glaringly visible in the game, we know what FC's approach has been.
    But I still believe some repairs are possible, even now, if they just tried!

Now enter sephiroth, who thinks FC shouldn't be blamed and nothing can be done about it.

I asked him if he was affiliated with FunCom, and he said no.
    Yet he claims "to know the code" (and a bunch of other inside information), when in fact he doesn't.
    As dysfunctional as I picture FC, even they wouldn't share that with an outsider.

Then he comes to the forum, under that false pretense of insider knowledge, to fabricate all kinds of excuses why FC (or his friends there) cannot implement any of our suggestions or fix any of the age-old bugs. At best, that's all hear-say and at worst it's all baloney!

Yes, maybe I was a little hard on him, but he deserved it.

But really, my initial post only served as an illustration to one important question:

Why insist on making updates and patches that upset various parts of the player population, when FunCom has so many opportunities to improve the game without offending anybody?
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Why insist on making updates and patches that upset various parts of the player population, when FunCom has so many opportunities to improve the game without offending anybody?

My guess is, they're just doing random things that can be implemented quickly and without much work in order to give the appearance of continued development in an effort to keep current subscribers from leaving. It's all about keeping AO's small revenue stream flowing for as long as possible, not breathing new life into a dying game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth56 View Post
    It's just that that would be the only thing happening for the next year. And I know that's not what we want.
    I would much rather have them focus on one big thing and actually get it done, than focus on several little things and finish none of them.
    Brofist 220/30/70 Engineer
    Techbro 220/30/70 Nano-Technician

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    My guess is, they're just doing random things that can be implemented quickly and without much work in order to give the appearance of continued development in an effort to keep current subscribers from leaving. It's all about keeping AO's small revenue stream flowing for as long as possible, not breathing new life into a dying game.
    Rahela ..you just marked my thoughts.AO is dieing.

Quote Originally Posted by finalburst View Post
    Rahela ..you just marked my thoughts.AO is dieing.
    AO was also dieing in 2004.

Along with 5 other games.

In 2010 AO was dieing next to 50 other games.

Maybe we should rename it Dead Man Walking - Online.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

*harkens back to the past 10 years*

AO is death. DEATH.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Factions should just be removed from the BS, and have it be Red v Blue with random side assignments.
    Yes, how had to be since the BS intro. But then, some RPers purists would gone mad about it. Just make up an history that some roge corporation is trying to take control of it or whathever.
    The main problem with pvp is that is mixed up with freaking sides. Most PvPers cant care much about sides. They leave that to RPers or lazy PvMers.
    This is Anarchy Online, lets make it an ANARCHY... it already looks like US bipartisan goverment.
    Look at the Hat!

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast