Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by lordcabro View Post
    Yes, how had to be since the BS intro. But then, some RPers purists would gone mad about it. Just make up an history that some roge corporation is trying to take control of it or whathever.
    The main problem with pvp is that is mixed up with freaking sides. Most PvPers cant care much about sides. They leave that to RPers or lazy PvMers.
    This is Anarchy Online, lets make it an ANARCHY... it already looks like US bipartisan goverment.
    Actually, i and i know a few others are all up for red vs blue. Fits perfectly in the lore for factions to fight each other; as we often do in the storyline anyway. No RP reasons to not do it
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by lordcabro View Post
    Yes, how had to be since the BS intro. But then, some RPers purists would gone mad about it. Just make up an history that some roge corporation is trying to take control of it or whathever.
    You would have heard very little argument from the RP community that I personally interact with over that change. Of that I am very sure of. Most of the RP community that exists within the 4th Wall and Editors News tends to avoid PVP altogether. There is only a very small number of our RP'rs that actually do PVP at all, and that number is in the low single digits. Like Cora mentioned, some of us are far more inclined to have a Red V Blue approach to it.

But there was at one point in time a varied percentage of the PVP community that were very into laying down and making sure everyone understood the factional line. It was never a majority group, but they did and likely still do exist. You can see proof of them as they post their "Clan > Omni" or "Omni > Clan" posts and snarks they leave in PVP related threads. Those folks are likely the demographic that would have been all flustered over it.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

The biggest reason people didn't want RvB was because they didn't like the idea of killing org mates. That was it.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Yeah a lot of people tend to forget that this is just a game.

Always last to the party.. and Im not reading every post, I just havent the time..my apologies... but.. WHY put this "SL Mission" in inferno to start it off?

Inf is already teeming with people. I think many of us (At least I know I was), were hoping you'd add something more than redundant annoying, mind melting quests to places like Pen, which is SORELY underutilized and has much to offer but needs just a little something to encourage ppl to go and stay...

Its NEVER made sense to me why you can walk into BOTH Pen and INF at 160 without having to do an Ergo quest for Inf at that level. Every other level has a trial.. Why dont we see one at level 180 for Inf?

Add the Pen missions, plus fix the currently existing Pen factioned missions to get reasonable XP rewards for the mobs were killing (seriously Pen Hard is like an Inf hard), and we MIGHT (yes Im aware its a big "might"), actually see Pen being truly used again...

Why is all this so hard? Grrr
    Last edited by Cariadast; May 4th, 2014 at 14:23:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    My guess is, they're just doing random things that can be implemented quickly and without much work in order to give the appearance of continued development in an effort to keep current subscribers from leaving. It's all about keeping AO's small revenue stream flowing for as long as possible, not breathing new life into a dying game.
    that seeem to be obvious. Since at least 2 years.

There was New Engine Promo Video like... 2 or 3 years ago? And few screens here and there and nothing more. Moreover, there is no word in this update about new engine. And birds are telling me this is all disaster.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

please pelase please make the new inf mish so that it provides more xp/research for lv200 toons.
    The vanity of others runs counter to our taste only when it runs counter to our vanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    that seeem to be obvious. Since at least 2 years.

There was New Engine Promo Video like... 2 or 3 years ago? And few screens here and there and nothing more. Moreover, there is no word in this update about new engine. And birds are telling me this is all disaster.
    That's because there really isn't anything new to tell about the engine. We've seen what it looks like already, now we have to wait for them finish it. I believe they recently announced that it will be on Testlive soon so anyone can have a look, not just the people in the closed beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    That's because there really isn't anything new to tell about the engine. We've seen what it looks like already, now we have to wait for them finish it. I believe they recently announced that it will be on Testlive soon so anyone can have a look, not just the people in the closed beta.
    18.7 will be on test, not the new engine, the new engine requires 18.7 not the other way round.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    The biggest reason people didn't want RvB was because they didn't like the idea of killing org mates. That was it.
    Even more reason why people would want it. So they can get drunk, get on teamspeak, and slap each other with a damp trout in the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cariadast View Post
    Its NEVER made sense to me why you can walk into BOTH Pen and INF at 160 without having to do an Ergo quest for Inf at that level. Every other level has a trial.. Why dont we see one at level 180 for Inf?
    Ice Golem, which is required to enter Inf.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    18.7 will be on test, not the new engine, the new engine requires 18.7 not the other way round.
    Ah, Ok. I stand corrected

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    Actually, i and i know a few others are all up for red vs blue. Fits perfectly in the lore for factions to fight each other; as we often do in the storyline anyway. No RP reasons to not do it
    Indeed, and there is that illegal gambling consortium at John Smith, betting on the outcome. They don't care about factions either.

And if you absolutely don't want to fight your orgmates, perhaps queuing as a team could prevent that easy enough.

RvB is a good idea that would improve the game without pissing off another large part of the population.
    Hence, it will not be implemented!

And now some yokel will tell us why that would be too difficult to code for those poor, overworked FC employees. /sarcasm
    Last edited by Grandpa; May 4th, 2014 at 20:48:20.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

I'd have no issue at all killing my orgmates, as they understand when we are different teams and such. I welcome the head to head combat, especially if im in ventrilo or something with them.

We aint mad. It's just how it goes. I would however avoid logging my 220 enf for it :/
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    And now some yokel will tell us why that would be too difficult to code for those poor, overworked FC employees. /sarcasm
    Maybe not difficult, but I get the feeling they would have to create 2 separate new 'factions' to align people to upon entering BS to stop people stabbing their own team.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    I'm not saying that I can't fix it, I'm just saying it will make a lot of people upset. I have a design document somewhere. Where I had designed heckler instances where NTs could kite... solo. And nerfing level ranges of the hecklers to match the zones they are in. So that the correct level players fight the hecklers in the zones they should. Lastly make hecklers and spirits fear high level players to prevent outside tanking. We could also change the teaming level ranges.

The reason why these changes were never done was that we expected a huge emo rage from a large part of the community. Trust me, I have wanted to swing a nerf bat at afk leveling for a very long time.
    I am sorry to say that the fear of emo rage sounds like a weak argument coming from people who said "yeah we're going to change aimed shot mechanics" but spend years and years without making the change. So far, that was rage for nothing. And the old SB+OS rage. And what else have you.

In the end, you could have done away with heck kiting mechanics and instituted some sort of credit buyable "level me to level X, usable only by TL1" things. If you're going to have unattended leveling, at least make it serve a purpose (credit sink, convenience for experienced players) and not cause side effects and encourage noobs to join in because they see a bunch of guys sitting on a bloody hill with one guy killing 30 mobs at a time all by himself, then get actively harassed by said guy (kiting NT) if they wander about.

It's possibly too late now, but maybe for the next life the idea will be of use.

Of course everyone understands making such drastic changes are a risky business. But non-action has its consequences in the long run anyway and changes are part of the deal.

Finally, in my opinion yet another playfield meant for late game leveling built from scratch sounds nice but boggles the mind. If FC were to make changes to existing areas like the various catacombs which are nigh useless at this time and completely imbalanced for effort, reward and level, people would go. You know, people would go for an instanced "Revenge of the Trash King and his lackeys" mission which could look just like an old school RK mission if it was worth the effort XP/SK-wise.

It must have been one of the most limiting design decisions ever to decide that only SL has SK, and SK is what you need after level N, other rewards are useless, so you basically have a huge world which just lost its appeal from a leveling perspective. Even though aliens somehow sidestep the rule. But I'm ranting again so maybe it's just better to remember the good things what once were and shut up.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    I'm sorry but to earn a significant reward for doing pvp, I feel that you should pvp. The xp reward on pvp missions were added to help pvpers level, not pvmers.
    Good, when you do this I think it is important you make pvm and pvp-dailies mutually exclusive tho. That one locks the other out, or else you have just added an additional grind. I also hope to see more phatz in vp-shop and let all shop from any vendor. That'd be so nice
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Some battlestations can go and maybe consider downtimes so more people come at showtime. That battlestation and pvp has more global benefits/downfalls for a side would help I think. War is also about destroying property and infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Loucretia View Post
    I mean isn't it obvious that if that area fulfilled its original purpose it wouldn't be empty?
    Notum miner area fails, it is not good. It is also 12-man/db-buffs added to keep pvp'ers intrested so the areas are not empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Loucretia View Post
    Of course PvPers have to do PvM
    Why is that so of course? Why did West Athen become a ghost-town after Sill killed pvp there? PvP has been a significant part of AO since beta and you don't have to do it if u don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
    Like Cora mentioned, some of us are far more inclined to have a Red V Blue approach to it.
    You already can with flagging. Doesn't quite work in AO. Most pvp-neutrals I met seems to be more comfortable siding with one of the sides. Not entirely putting you down, but u and cora won't 'nerd' pvp anytime soon I guess and not many of the active pvp'ers seem to have (or have had) a request for this. I think pvp needs more social events. Duel-championships for example. By the system btw.

@ gear-aquisition.

I thought it'd be cool with more 'boxes', f.x 'calias form crystal' and u click and it uploads all calias forms. Another reason for kite being so popular (except for the xp-gain being so godlike) is that new players don't have stuff. Some veterans want this playergap, but I think it is detrimental to AO. Better to add more goodies to vetshop.
    Last edited by leetlover; May 5th, 2014 at 02:06:02.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Maybe not difficult, but I get the feeling they would have to create 2 separate new 'factions' to align people to upon entering BS to stop people stabbing their own team.
    Hmm just curious, why you think this would be necessary?

Right now, neutrals clan-side can fight neutrals omni-side without attacking their own teams.
    So the mechanics for that should already be in place, no?
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

As Grandpa stated, the mechanics are already in place for neutrals.
    Only potential bug I can think of is SBs, but iirc those were 'fixed' alongside AoE perks.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Would like to kill orgmates. In game and out ^__^

Not that i could mind. They have good setups
    SilentSlash 220 Solitus Shade
    SilentSlashy 220 Atrox Shade
    Rarara 220 Solitus Crat
    Kinkypron 220 Solitus cyb0rEngi
    Nerfuuu 220 Atrox TS-Trader
    also FT. taxslash 200 crat / darkblu 150 fixer / freetrial 101 - fgrid biattch

I'm Back... again ^_^!

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast