Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Hmm just curious, why you think this would be necessary?

Right now, neutrals clan-side can fight neutrals omni-side without attacking their own teams.
    So the mechanics for that should already be in place, no?
    Good point. I totally forgot about the way Neuts could sign up.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    My guess is, they're just doing random things that can be implemented quickly and without much work in order to give the appearance of continued development in an effort to keep current subscribers from leaving. It's all about keeping AO's small revenue stream flowing for as long as possible, not breathing new life into a dying game.
    Yeah, it's been like that for a long time. AO is abandonware, just look at the horrible economy in this game and the fact that FC has done absolutely nothing to fix it (other than the general lack of development of course).
    Last edited by Pafpuf; May 5th, 2014 at 16:31:07.

IMHO, RvB would be a huge thing to do (from programmer's perspective). Sure, neuters can choose a side in BS, but throwing random people in various groups while paying attention to who is teamed sounds like an enormous job relating to what would it accomplish.

I think it would actually be a lot easier to add more instanced "battlegrounds" with different objectives than to re-do the BS.

Also, killing a player should award XP. Participating in PvP should award XP. Winning a battle should award even more XP.

Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post
    Also, killing a player should award XP. Participating in PvP should award XP. Winning a battle should award even more XP.
    Doc would never get any would be cool w more rewards 4 participating in pvp tho.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Throwing my hat in the ring to say YES PLEASE to RvB (or make it purple vs yellow or something if red is seen to be clan and blue omni). The occasional person will whine, guaranteed, but overall it'd boost activity. From my experience in other games it's good fun hunting and killing friends and orgmates now and then

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    Doc would never get any
    It's pretty amazing that in an mmo game that has basically no solo content some individuals still manage to ignore core concepts like... teaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    It's pretty amazing that in an mmo game that has basically no solo content some individuals still manage to ignore core concepts like... teaming.
    Forced teaming is not a very popular option nowadays on -any- game, but it's especially unpopular on AO because 1) the leveling content is so unrewarding that no one wants to be forced to share and 2) no one wants to have to deal with players that can't carry their own weight in teams because they're either new/broke/clueless about twinking and 3) the population is too low for many people to be able to rely on teams for -anything- under TL7.
    Last edited by Rahela; May 6th, 2014 at 15:58:33.

If people feel like they're forced to team after picking a purely support profession they're, for the lack of better words, retarded because they brought it on themselves.

If people feel like they're forced to team after picking a purely support profession they're, for the lack of better words, retarded because they brought it on themselves.
    IMO, the only profession that is difficult to solo level is Agents, and they're not exactly a support profession.

People shouldn't feel forced to log on and/or post on forums for a game they do nothing but complain about either. lol
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

the concept of teaming in ao is broken for several reasons. first, key profs: either you got em or you're out. second, most non-raidbot content is dependent on org or rl friend structures. if you're in one of those vintage orgs with few casual players you're screwed. even if you find a well populated org, solo farming with mb is very very common. people dont wanna share, and if they don't have to, why should they.

i know i know, get a better org. yes. if you can. very true. but if you're not so fortunate, you either need creds or won't get anywhere. that is not the concept of teaming. that is the concept of orging. teaming was when you could go and randomly form a team with strangers. that concept as good as ceased to exist a long time ago. only exception (now and then) is gauntlet because people need a time at that particular time.

and before someone takes this to a personal level: I have no problem with this. I don't even play atm. That does not change the fact that this is a problem. And yes, I know that ya'll don't have it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Would be nice if the pvp-missions could be rolled at hub. Maybe add vp-shop there too.

Teamwork doesn't require teaming. Teaming isn't so popular since you are too confined to the team- Many wanna do as they want when have a game-session so, including support-professions. Pvp is not just limited to killing players, but to enjoy performing the functions (subterfuge-tactics, direct combat, support, surrival, stealth etc) of your profession in pvp-areas. Not that docs doesn't kill players but...I think it is good when it rewards you for just participating in pvp.

You should know by now what the effect of uber teambuffs and steamrolling has on pvp. With LE-expansions they tried to spread out the pvp cause many complained it was over so fast and just evolved around specials. Both in the streets and in towerwars. Battlestation initially spread out the pvp-combat quite a bit and kept the fights lasting longer without ruining the group vs group-aspect. With new BS (one of the ideas behind it was to fix spawncamping) a new kind of pvp-trend emerged.

Off topic, but I think to "fix" 4-capping they should do something to make a and b feel like a homebase again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xootch View Post
    the concept of teaming in ao is broken for several reasons. first, key profs: either you got em or you're out. second, most non-raidbot content is dependent on org or rl friend structures. if you're in one of those vintage orgs with few casual players you're screwed. even if you find a well populated org, solo farming with mb is very very common. people dont wanna share, and if they don't have to, why should they.
    mhm, should change the loot/reward-system to be more individual instead of loot from corpse. being able to play the game and do big raids without bots would also be very good I think. lol players gotta talk to egpal for getting lootrights
    Last edited by leetlover; May 7th, 2014 at 04:55:22.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

There simply is no such "support profession" which is damned or forced to be teamed in order to be efficient or kill reliably.

Especially not as a doc.

Teamwork doesn't require teaming.
    This is true.

Sure, there are some effects which are only granted IN a team directly (crat aura, umbral, such stuff), but I encounter every day situations in where I dont team with specific ppl but act in a team with them. On the other side, I join teams in where the ppl might be IN the team, but act like if they wouldnt be IN a team.
    Last edited by Dumonde; May 7th, 2014 at 09:18:58.
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

Quote Originally Posted by BytEfLUSh2 View Post

thats simple and brilliant - seriously. Any BS pvp (instanced) should give XP...

Why I never think about that?

From game pov, getting Xp in place where it can not (and should not) be exploited (so BS seems best place to do so) getting XP from killing a player would be fine reward (as the name says, experience) an it would encurage weaker players to fight each other in order to gain experience.

+1 for that idea!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    thats simple and brilliant - seriously. Any BS pvp (instanced) should give XP...

Why I never think about that?

!

CAUSE LOGGING MULTI -TOONS TO GET PVP TITLE ISNT' BAD ENOUGH...NOW YOU CAN GET XP TOO
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    IMO, the only profession that is difficult to solo level is Agents, and they're not exactly a support profession.
    The subject of discussion was xp rewards for pvp kills in bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xootch View Post
    the concept of teaming in ao is broken for several reasons. first, key profs: either you got em or you're out.
    Same as the poster I quoted above. There's no such thing as a key prof in pvp. Depending on the situation (and the player of course), any prof can be either very good or very bad.

Teamwork doesn't require teaming. Teaming isn't so popular since you are too confined to the team- Many wanna do as they want when have a game-session so, including support-professions. Pvp is not just limited to killing players, but to enjoy performing the functions (subterfuge-tactics, direct combat, support, surrival, stealth etc) of your profession in pvp-areas. Not that docs doesn't kill players but...I think it is good when it rewards you for just participating in pvp.
    No, getting rewarded for just being there is stupid. People should get rewarded for playing their profession right, instead we have docs running around with an AS pistol and malpractice thinking they're some sort of assault profession whining when someone "steals" kills from them because *gasp* they're not supposed to do damage in the first place. Team up and support the damage professions alive while they do most of the damage. It's basics really. If people "wanna do as they want to" maybe they should make more characters and be versatile in that manner instead of leaning towards making every prof a jack of all trades to cater the needs of the selfish.

Furthermore the kind of rewards you're looking for would only encourage the lame "CH someone from sneak > step on teleporter > sneak again > repeat" agent gameplay that is your consistency, I'm guessing that's what you were going for in the first place.

You should know by now what the effect of uber teambuffs and steamrolling has on pvp. With LE-expansions they tried to spread out the pvp cause many complained it was over so fast and just evolved around specials. Both in the streets and in towerwars. Battlestation initially spread out the pvp-combat quite a bit and kept the fights lasting longer without ruining the group vs group-aspect. With new BS (one of the ideas behind it was to fix spawncamping) a new kind of pvp-trend emerged.
    OP weapons for everybody, doubles/triples with 40% pvp cap, instakilling orbital strike... how exactly did LE make pvp fights more lasting ? I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Back then battlestation was populated 10 times as much giving you the illusion of drawn out fights, fact of the matter is there were just a lot more people to fight.

Off topic, but I think to "fix" 4-capping they should do something to make a and b feel like a homebase again.
    There's a really simple solution to that which I've already suggested before, adding apf-like fences near the natural spawn area.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonde View Post
    There simply is no such "support profession" which is damned or forced to be teamed in order to be efficient or kill reliably.

Especially not as a doc.
    What's more efficient, a doc running around solo throwing the occasional heal when they're not too busy spamming malpractice or a doc in a team who focuses on keeping his teammates alive ?

Outside of duels doctors aren't reliable killers at all because they're slow at it, and sooner or later somebody will show up and either wreck you or help you kill your target. Or your target will simply run away because as a doc there's not much you can do about it. Doesn't sound like a reliable killer to me at all

Quote Originally Posted by Hokutonoken View Post
    CAUSE LOGGING MULTI -TOONS TO GET PVP TITLE ISNT' BAD ENOUGH...NOW YOU CAN GET XP TOO
    That should be reason enough to NOT have xp rewards for pvp. Or can you not honestly see everyone begin to mulitbox just to gain xp?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    That should be reason enough to NOT have xp rewards for pvp. Or can you not honestly see everyone begin to mulitbox just to gain xp?
    Tsk, what's your problem, multiboxing in pvp is legal.
    FC said so a year ago - http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...69&postcount=5

http://www.autohotkey.com/ FTW!

I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Tsk, what's your problem, multiboxing in pvp is legal.
    FC said so a year ago - http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...69&postcount=5

http://www.autohotkey.com/ FTW!

He's referring to someone with multiple accounts just rolling a bunch of chars, and killing his own chars with his own chars. Rinse & repeat from both sides endlessly till you're 220/0/70 with zero effort.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast