Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 2nd June 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    AO is as close as it can be to abandonware and you're asking about a big plan, how silly..
    OK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

We have reached the point of no return. With summer near the game will more empty than usual as players leave for the outdoors. Unless something does happen soon to revive the game I don't think its going to last till 2015.

Sometimes I read the FC quarterly reports and just have say wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by FC Quarterly Report
    During 1Q the Company initiated several marketing campaigns and other activities to increase the activity level within the live games – Anarchy Online, Age of Conan and The Secret World
    I just have to wonder what was the marketing done for AO? Because if there was any done it sure went unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by FC Quarterly Report
    Make the proprietary underlying Dreamworld technology platform compatible across multiple gaming platforms
    There is more in the report and presentation about this but they are targeting iPad as one target. No directx there so they have to have an OpenGLES port running as they reported they delivered a first for Lego closed testing. Perhap one day AO will get a cross platform client.
    Last edited by Lheann; Jun 10th, 2014 at 07:23:03.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

The fact that they haven't exploited the Steam community yet to boost population a long time ago is beyond me. They should sack people for less. The Steam overlay should have been top priority, not wait until 18.9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    The fact that they haven't exploited the Steam community yet to boost population a long time ago is beyond me. They should sack people for less. The Steam overlay should have been top priority, not wait until 18.9.
    There is some reason why it doesn't work with old engine and they can't complete the new one due to not having any resources... So basicly just because they keep screwing up the development process AO is going to die...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

The community have to create and host guides/planetmaps at privat payed servers

All AO guides r out of date

There we can hope if Funcom Awake and spend some more interrest in AO
    that the community helps...
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. [attributed to Albert Einstein]

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    There is some reason why it doesn't work with old engine and they can't complete the new one due to not having any resources... So basicly just because they keep screwing up the development process AO is going to die...
    You're correct it doesn't support DX7.

The only thing that will save this game is Steam at this point coupled with proper DLC "introduction" and lowered subscription fees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    You're correct it doesn't support DX7.

The only thing that will save this game is Steam at this point coupled with proper DLC "introduction" and lowered subscription fees.
    Yes, Steam would get new players.
    And then they all leave again, because who would want to play a cheater's game?

1) Restore fair play!
    Fix the exploits, fix all the damage done by previous exploits, enforce the EULA fairly and unbiased!
    Eradicate any collusion or suspected collusion between players and staff or former staff - it's disgraceful!

2) Create an NPE that actually makes a difference!
    At minimum, write up-to-date documentation, enable unbroken progression beyond ToTW, and a working LFT.
    A glorified noob island with better graphics just won't cut it.

3) THEN go on Steam and advertise the game.
    (not just lie about it on the quarterly reports)

Maybe, just maybe, the game can be saved if FC follows these simple steps.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

I really would like to know some of the metrics off of that reported marketing. Like total views, cost per acquisition, retention at 7, 14 and 30 days. Really the basic info that any marketing group uses to rate the success of a marketing campaign.

I think the marketing was a wash because they also reported revenue and subscriber levels remained stable. Will have to wait for next report to see if they report a subscriber increase but my bet is they will not.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    I just have to wonder what was the marketing done for AO? Because if there was any done it sure went unnoticed.
    Might be a stretch, but are they considering the whole 'Buy a full year and get January beta access' to be part of their Q1 marketing initiative? I can't remember exactly when that special promotion ended.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=609422
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jun 10th, 2014 at 18:33:51.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I First, there was the ridiculous farming of the MA books in ToTW.

This cannot possibly be working as intended. Ok, I know what some of you are thinking "Jill, stop your complaining and go make a set of implants.".

Apparently its too hard to just change the shops such that Basic shops only sell QL 50 clusters, Advanced only sell 100 cluster and Superior only sell QL 175. And let's be real.. at this point it wouldn't hurt anything to throw some QL 150, 175 and 200 basic implants right in the shops.
    Very well said. However I will say one thing, the MA books actually drop from specific mobs. Not so much random but some books only drop from certain mobs loot list like acolytes, reverends etc will not drop all 5-6 books to my knowledge. Only 1 or 2 books each. For example Acolyte Betty will only drop tree of life books 2 and 3 while Acolyte Jenny drops Fist book 3 and 4. I don't know how better to describe what i'm saying.

The implant idea I like, A LOT. Kinda goes in hand with the stims change made and it makes sense to me.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Very well said. However I will say one thing, the MA books actually drop from specific mobs. Not so much random but some books only drop from certain mobs loot list like acolytes, reverends etc will not drop all 5-6 books to my knowledge. Only 1 or 2 books each. For example Acolyte Betty will only drop tree of life books 2 and 3 while Acolyte Jenny drops Fist book 3 and 4. I don't know how better to describe what i'm saying.
    As noted here.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Very well said. However I will say one thing, the MA books actually drop from specific mobs. Not so much random but some books only drop from certain mobs loot list like acolytes, reverends etc will not drop all 5-6 books to my knowledge. Only 1 or 2 books each. For example Acolyte Betty will only drop tree of life books 2 and 3 while Acolyte Jenny drops Fist book 3 and 4.
    Yeah, I got what you're saying and I was aware of that aspect of the farming. That was my 3rd time taking a MA through totw and believe it or not, this was the fastest I farmed them. I eventually got the books this time as well as I was killing the proper mobs. The complaint is that it took too long. It wasn't a matter of ignorance, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jun 10th, 2014 at 19:08:04.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I still very much like the implant/cluster suggestion. That should be added to one of those long suggestion threads that don't get read.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Any sign of GFX yet?
    Tilkh :: 220 Soldier

Solabeat :: 218 Meta

Est. March 02

one of those long suggestion threads that don't get read.
    Except by bittervets who scream about changing anything in the game whatsoever, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Even as a paying player, I have to say that this game is not worth that kind of effort.

You want them to:
    Fix all exploits
    Fix all damaging effects of all past exploits

- It is so much easier to identify the problems than produce solutions that actually work. I'm not white-knighting here; we've seen this with FC's own fixes, which have often addressed commonly recognised issues in ways where a subset of players disapprove.

Eradicate any collusion or suspected collusion between players and staff or former staff

- Okay. The eradication of su****ion requires, where evidence exists, the evisceration of staff. This reduces the team size. What kind of an idiot would sign up to work for FC on AO right now?

write up-to-date documentation

- Don't you think FC's time is better spent elsewhere? It's always been their intention not to fully explain game mechanics, resulting in formulae being worked out by players. I doubt anything FC could come up with without plagerising could beat AO Universe.

unbroken progression

- This is very much our fault rather than FC's. How about banning the use of OSTs? There's an unbroken progression in content (and there is a LOT of content in AO as you know) if people want to play it. It's not FC's role to increase XP. Players decided to take advantage to minmax their progression, going to the edge of what could reasonably be construed as intended. If you want them banned, say so. There's no content gap.

And all this for...maybe, just maybe, saving the game? It's not worth it. It's just seriously, financially not. It didn't have to be this way, and FC have screwed up countless times to make AO end up as it is. But is fixing AO in the way you suggest financially sensible? No.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Clan Envoy of the Omni Organisation Committee
    Reporter for the Omni-Tek Press Corp

Quote Originally Posted by Encyros View Post
    write up-to-date documentation

- Don't you think FC's time is better spent elsewhere? It's always been their intention not to fully explain game mechanics, resulting in formulae being worked out by players. I doubt anything FC could come up with without plagerising could beat AO Universe.
    Tell me, which TRUE newbie knows about AOU? Or Auno? Or Clicksaver? Or AOIA? Or Maps? Or Shopping or Raidbots?
    Or any of the other almost essential tools we take for granted.
    The ARK greeter isn't telling him about that.
    The Readme.txt that comes with the download or FunCom's outdated website doesn't have that info either.
    For all the newbie knows, "Aventuring" is an excellent skill for Adventurers to raise!

unbroken progression

- This is very much our fault rather than FC's. How about banning the use of OSTs? There's an unbroken progression in content (and there is a LOT of content in AO as you know) if people want to play it. It's not FC's role to increase XP. Players decided to take advantage to minmax their progression, going to the edge of what could reasonably be construed as intended. If you want them banned, say so. There's no content gap.
    Noob island leads you into the subway, SL starting area into Nasc garden keys.
    Tell me, where does the game point you at after that?

I know you support Social Darwinism when it comes to newbies and that's fine.
    But a game this small can't afford having them continuously fail and quit after ToTW.
    I'm not asking to make the game easier, I'm asking to make it CLEARER.
    That's why documentation is needed, that's why a logical progression is needed.

And all this for...maybe, just maybe, saving the game? It's not worth it. It's just seriously, financially not. It didn't have to be this way, and FC have screwed up countless times to make AO end up as it is. But is fixing AO in the way you suggest financially sensible? No.
    I posted what needs to be done.
    It is an entirely different matter if FC with seven years of continuous losses cannot afford that.
    We, the players, are not responsible for their mismanagement or fiscal incompetence.

They cannot/will not enforce fair play?
    They cannot/will not make AO more newbie friendly?

Ok, stop leeching money of subs and close the game down already!
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

They cannot/will not enforce fair play?
    They cannot/will not make AO more newbie friendly?
    Ok, stop leeching money of subs and close the game down already![/b]
    I am actually curious, grandpa, on what motivates someone to be so passionately critical of a game that no one forces you to play or pay for. If your behavior is not unique to the AO forums, I honestly suggest you engage in some self examination as you might be over-stressing yourself. Are you also aware of injustices in RL that might warrant your vitriol more than your perceived injustices in a game?

Personally, I find AO to be worth many subscriptions for its fun, depth and unique sense of nostalgia. I would hate to see it go away. Did I like the last patch? no. But as an overall package it changed very little for me. And I even get that people pretty much always over-react on an internet forum for any slight they feel, but I get the sense you are acting in an extreme fashion even with that in mind.

So, what is going on? Are you in deep love with AO but feel it is unrequited?

I know you support Social Darwinism when it comes to newbies and that's fine.
    But a game this small can't afford having them continuously fail and quit after ToTW.
    I'm not asking to make the game easier, I'm asking to make it CLEARER.
    That's why documentation is needed, that's why a logical progression is needed.

This. The content exists, we all know that, the problem is, as the OG says, the fact that there really is no clear progression. Even more recent midgame content like the Brontoburger quests are not clearly pointed too.

As to showing noobs the ropes as far as 3rd party stuff is concerned, I always thought the big graffiti advertising Helpbot in the subway was a great way to work things in, things like that would go a long way towards informing the new players - especially if one were to add a low level quest that involved locating and learning about all the various billboards.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast