Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – 2nd July, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Montelukast View Post
    Your speaking as if this is already on the live server and not on the test server.
    You are speaking as if Garuk's Viral Assault being on test server first, prevented it from going live.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

I've pretty much had enough of all the bs changes made in this game to cancel my sub and give up with this game (which is sad being a former 10year player)

my main toon is a nanotechnician (now pretty much dead) and hearing of the upcoming changes that will completely kill it off is not a good enough sales pitch for me to re-sub :S

This what I think...
    You 'genious's' at funcom need to stop "changing" things about the game that i (and many more) love. it was perfectly fine pre-server merge and needs to go back to that stage. If you guys want to recode and redevelope parts of ao what you are doing is effectively making Anarchy Online 2, which is a cool concept, but where you are going wrong is this shouldn't be a forced replacement of peoples century long work and efforts of our beloved game but rather you should release an entirely new game where the characters have new toolsets and the grass is really erm... "pretty."

PLEASE STOP DESTROYING AO1 AND RELEASE ALL THESE CHANGES AND UPGRADES IN A NEW GAME AND LABEL IT ANARCHY ONLINE 2... HAPPY CUSTOMERS ALL AROUND!!!

People complaining about balance changes and saying they are quitting now and not earlier is very comical. People keep saying "guyz listen i be a paying customer for long time, i is a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 year vet of game. i is so pro and i love dis game but these changes are teh suck i r quit now kkbye" if they truly are vets (and not clueless trolling newblets) then they would know that these changes have been in the works for years and to suddenly be flabbergasted that they are now being introduced shows how little you appreciate and how well you know the game.

With that said, these are the first few steps in the balancing act. Not everything is available to test because not everything has been worked on. The days of your profession being OPed and having OPed toolsets are about be non-existent. No game should have that much power given to player characters and regular maintenance of professions is key to keep the game from going down that path. AO has never had a balancing act and it needed it 10 years ago (along with many other things).

Professions will be nerfed, some professions will be beefed up, but the game is going to be more dynamic as a result of these changes and less stagnant.

My main issue with the balance changes is that I feel, with how slow AO development is, is that all the balance changes should come in one giant patch. The reason being that if things are gradually implemented to professions there is a major teeter-totter effect. I can see on one end though that if there is gradual changes, there will be a gradual of getting use to the changes and not being so shell shocked from one big patch. Regardless though, these balance changes have been brainstormed and on paper for several years (hell, getting all 14 profession nano documents re-written took like 1-2 years), this first wave of balance changes has probably been under testing for the past 8-10 months. If we equate that to what AO needs balance wise, some professions wont see any love (or nerfs) for a very long time.

Lastly, I hope with the engine release and Steam release they will hire more staff to work on AO or get the other teams to work on AO.
    Last edited by MachSchau; Aug 10th, 2014 at 20:46:07.

Quote Originally Posted by macer85 View Post
    I've pretty much had enough of all the bs changes made in this game to cancel my sub and give up with this game (which is sad being a former 10year player)

my main toon is a nanotechnician (now pretty much dead) and hearing of the upcoming changes that will completely kill it off is not a good enough sales pitch for me to re-sub :S

This what I think...
    You 'genious's' at funcom need to stop "changing" things about the game that i (and many more) love. it was perfectly fine pre-server merge and needs to go back to that stage. If you guys want to recode and redevelope parts of ao what you are doing is effectively making Anarchy Online 2, which is a cool concept, but where you are going wrong is this shouldn't be a forced replacement of peoples century long work and efforts of our beloved game but rather you should release an entirely new game where the characters have new toolsets and the grass is really erm... "pretty."

PLEASE STOP DESTROYING AO1 AND RELEASE ALL THESE CHANGES AND UPGRADES IN A NEW GAME AND LABEL IT ANARCHY ONLINE 2... HAPPY CUSTOMERS ALL AROUND!!!
    How do you figure any of the upcoming changes will "kill NTs dead"?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

It will kill them until they die from it.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    3 reasons:

1.) nerfed already mediocre damage
    2.) nerfed already weak survivability
    3.) game mechanics, as I've explained here

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    People complaining about balance changes and saying they are quitting now and not earlier is very comical. People keep saying "guyz listen i be a paying customer for long time, i is a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 year vet of game. i is so pro and i love dis game but these changes are teh suck i r quit now kkbye" if they truly are vets (and not clueless trolling newblets) then they would know that these changes have been in the works for years and to suddenly be flabbergasted that they are now being introduced shows how little you appreciate and how well you know the game.

With that said, these are the first few steps in the balancing act. Not everything is available to test because not everything has been worked on. The days of your profession being OPed and having OPed toolsets are about be non-existent. No game should have that much power given to player characters and regular maintenance of professions is key to keep the game from going down that path. AO has never had a balancing act and it needed it 10 years ago (along with many other things).

Professions will be nerfed, some professions will be beefed up, but the game is going to be more dynamic as a result of these changes and less stagnant.

My main issue with the balance changes is that I feel, with how slow AO development is, is that all the balance changes should come in one giant patch. The reason being that if things are gradually implemented to professions there is a major teeter-totter effect. I can see on one end though that if there is gradual changes, there will be a gradual of getting use to the changes and not being so shell shocked from one big patch. Regardless though, these balance changes have been brainstormed and on paper for several years (hell, getting all 14 profession nano documents re-written took like 1-2 years), this first wave of balance changes has probably been under testing for the past 8-10 months. If we equate that to what AO needs balance wise, some professions wont see any love (or nerfs) for a very long time.

Lastly, I hope with the engine release and Steam release they will hire more staff to work on AO or get the other teams to work on AO.
    The trouble is they are not following the old balancing documents ... they are picking and choosing some things and coming up with other changes "out of the blue" without any explanations.

There needs to be an overall "this is what we are going to do over the next few months while 18.7 is on Test-Live" ... in detail, for each profession ... not vague comments. Then when we see one prof is nerfed to the high horse, we can see that it will be balanced with the up coming patches to TL. Right now it is a black hole of no information. If the balancing documents were being followed to the letter it would be different, but they are not ... more and other changes are being made.

I am sure there are internal tasks being worked on that would complete the whole of the nano and skill changes being made and planned for 18.7. Give us that list.

Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    The trouble is they are not following the old balancing documents ... they are picking and choosing some things and coming up with other changes "out of the blue" without any explanations.

There needs to be an overall "this is what we are going to do over the next few months while 18.7 is on Test-Live" ... in detail, for each profession ... not vague comments. Then when we see one prof is nerfed to the high horse, we can see that it will be balanced with the up coming patches to TL. Right now it is a black hole of no information. If the balancing documents were being followed to the letter it would be different, but they are not ... more and other changes are being made.

I am sure there are internal tasks being worked on that would complete the whole of the nano and skill changes being made and planned for 18.7. Give us that list.

Emma
    You are wrong. They are following the balance documents a majority of the time. But be reasonable, those documents were "completed" 3+ years ago and have never been looked at or re-written since. The "coming up with other changes out of the blue" I cant confirm or deny that because I dont feel like wasting my time going through 14 profession excel sheets and comparing them to what they released on test, but I did go through a few. The ones I did go through the changes that are on test compared to the excel sheets are so minor its not even worth throwing a fuss about.

It should be obvious what they are doing dont you think? Every balance change is a nerf to every profession, that should not be a surprise. I dont think you understand how slow development on AO is, but it is slow. So a change to traders toolsets that affects them or a few other professions they interact with, may not be ironed out until many months down the road when they release more changes.

I agree that it would be nice if they had a plan of action over the next....year? on what they plan to do for the balance. I want to see this stuff done when the engine is done and AO goes on Steam. The balancing act has been going on for far too long (4-5 years?) and we are finally getting our first taste of changes. I do care that this game hasn't had any content in 5 years, but I care more about long overdue projects that need to completed so that once they are done they can focus more on developing the actual game (pvp and pvm).

You are wrong. ...

I agree that it would be nice if they had a plan of action over the next....year? on what they plan to do for the balance.
    Well, when I reviewed the changes to the Adv morphs, particularly the Leet form, and the removal of any casting of Wolf on a Target ... there was Nothing in the balancing doc's even close.

There was also nothing close to the changes to meeps for fixers or the can't beacon if under attack either.

Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I'm mind blown as to how you gained the title NT Professional.

I have played NT for a very long time. I have learnt to use my toolset to its full potential and use different strategies for different enemies. Survivor-ability sucks for a nano technician at the best of times, outside of our short window of nano defense, we are squishy and very easy to take out. In mass pvp after 19 seconds what chance do we stand to survive unless we own a box of 5 other NT's?

I've always fought in combat using what little defense we own but offense is our greatest weapon. We need to take out our target BEFORE our defenses give out.

Without NBS what other way can a nano technician take out ANY class in a 1v1 situation ?? let alone mass pvp ???????????????????

You have already nerfed our LE nukes and Detonation Matrix (which was our last hope of survival against enemy)

Removal of Detonation Matrix has also ensured that NT's are now useless in PvE situations as well as PvP. It's like, everything I have worked to achieve and learnt about my NT over the past 10 years you guys have just 'erased'

Yes you can call me 'not a true vet' or whatever you want I really don't care. I am just the game user I am not a 'DEV' or anyone important enough for you guys to listen too. All I know is that being a game user '/player' I fell in love with a game and was spending the majority of my time playing it to get better, stronger, more skillful etc. Similar games have captured this love for the game that I desire and crave for and you know what... they release sequels and I usually queue to get myself a copy. Not one game I have every played has changed from what I knew of it into something beyond recognition of it's origin.

Take one example of this with my xbox console: I have all of the call of duty series. Some I like more than others. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Is by far my favourite of the whole series. Yes it has flaws and yes it has multiple releases after it, but for some reason I love it 10 fold in comparison to its sequels. It has a feel to the game that can't be matched by the following titles as the following titles all jumped on the band wagon of the corporate puppet masters who just want to take from our wallets and have lost the first vision of the beauty of the game that the developers first intended and made the new objective of the game to get rich. (I can't comment further here, I know that the $ is all any of you are interested in, but not me.)

I am the game player. I am the one with 10 years experience with all professions. I am the one that fell in love with the Nanotechnician toolset. I am the one that learnt and mastered that toolset. I still feel very underpowered compared to some classes. Some classes are actually impossible to kill for me. but that doesn't make me cry about it. That just makes me have to think smarter or think for survival and escape.

I love anarchy online.

I hate your new visions for it.

Your visions may all work out nice in the bigger picture across all professions and everything will be nerfed and orderly. but this is ANARCHY online. LET THE ANARCHY REIGN!

I don't understand... I JUST DON'T GET IT??! why would you alter so much of the game to change what is? Do the logical and proper thing and call it Anarchy Online 2. You can even have a bigger launch event covering TV adverts all kinds of media, make it huge. You never know, I may even start to love it, but it shouldn't wipe out Anarchy Online 1 and what currently IS in the process. You are just killing all faith I have in your company and your developers. I find this really sad.

I highly doubt you will actually take in anything that your customer base is shouting as clear as daylight as I see you guys besotted by your ideas, so I'm going to take this opportunity to say it as clear as I can; Rest in peace Anarchy Online x

He has/had a friend who works/ed in funcom and yeah his practical knowledge of the profession he's supposed to be a professional in is definitely lacking which is noticeable in most of his posts, but whatcha gonna do.
    Last edited by Pafpuf; Aug 11th, 2014 at 20:20:05.

If you want to look at the glass as half full... at least he's only a professional for one profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    He has/had a friend who works/ed in funcom and yeah his practical knowledge of the profession he's supposed to be a professional in is definitely lacking which is noticeable in most of his posts, but whatcha gonna do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    If you want to look at the glass as half full... at least he's only a professional for one profession.
    I know he seems to support FC in all of their decision making but thats just his thing.
    My thing is to support the NT profession to the detriment of every other profession - hell if I had my way this'd be the NT online forum.

All of us have our personal biases; so relax.

In my view we're at the point where we need to take some risks because we all know AO's been dying a death by a thousand cuts.
    Nothing has been released that can out-right kill AO; just drain the playerbase. Every new release of a big-title game saps the playerbase and when they eventually tire of their new toy; not everyone returns. AO's power as anyone who's tried to leave it knows is that its STILL the best in its... category... whatever that category is, i suspect its created its own category.

Never the less I can't even recall the last substantive or meaningful post on the NT forum that isn't just a re-asked question thats been answered a billion times already.

So, its your choice - guaranteed slow and miserable death over more years until AO finally calcifies or experimental shot-in-the-arm from the mad scientist we hardly trust- that might lead to survival or a violent and tumultuous, sudden death.

I vote the latter - there is no glory in timidity.

Anarchy Online.

I first joined on rk2, created my first toon. A doc
    at first I figured that it was a fairly boring game and was running around noobie island killing all the leets. I played a little more

I got my first line of nanos and worked on being able to cast them, during my venture to gain all of the awesome armor that my friend had that was leveling with him. We did all of the quests, we got all of the armor, we upgraded weaponry. I hit what i could as hard as I could and keep my team alive. I learned how to become a good doc by using my IP in all the right areas. It made me feel achievement, a sense of bliss in your own power. I played a little more

After a few hours me and my friends decided to go to the mainland and join the guy that had told us to come play this game with many more of my friends. We soon discovered implants and armors and the power of choice available in this game. Outside the subway clan gather as the enforcer has mongo'd and attracted aggro from the passing guard. He is tanking it well, standing there sparkling armor almost unaffected by the guards attempts.
    Suddenly his HP started to greatly disappear and the stunned enforcer was looking into the light.
    'There' my friend shouts as we pear to the rooftop and see an omni agent. A blue bolt of lightning strikes the agent. I see another enforcer this one running towards the fight and they all disappear from my view. The Nano technician came back and stood by the guard and said hello, Agent is down. Next thing I knew I was standing next to an omni enforcer ql200 taunting the idling clan. This enemy enforcer came in with rage and made the nano technician look like a level 1 amateur. 2 vanguards try battle him off as he now taunts the other roaming clan. Wow this is enough for me lets get some levels and catch up to the awesome abilities in this game and join the fights, show them who is boss. I played subway. I healed my friends through it all. Healing but suffering on weapons as a consequence. It felt cruel but at the same time fair as I cannot hit as hard as my ma friend and my engineer friend with his fancy robot, but that is what they have chosen to be, so the beauty of this game to me is that combined we were one hell of a team. I could still see them through it all and keep them alive to advance. I was a doctor, this is what a doctor does. In to the ToTW we go. Days pass.
    I decided to try out another character slot and give nano technician a go. I chose nanomage Cost: strength/stamina character squishy will work on evades. Pro: more nano and faster nano regen. Seemed sensible as my only weaponry is my nanos. I hope this works out, seems cool.
    I learnt to play Nano technician. I played through 220/30/70 the entire game. I love what I have created. I love how it plays. I understand 1 hit kills from a triple nuke was over the top and needed to go I really do but the direction you are heading in is not what I have come to know of Anarchy Online. Following the removal of 1 hit kill triples which I never had the privilege of using in battle, I used the best nanos I could trying to get more power to be more of a threat in combat. Development of my nano technician had begun. I have played many infernos, many raids of which I needed nothing, I have been pure support to my teams in helping destroying my enemies. Catch me off guard though and I drop so fast that sometimes I don't even realise I'm a target before it's too late. I am Nanomace. I am a glass cannon. Mass pvp, I have a short thinking window of my escape route when my nanos go down, but if I catch you unaware or not ready to deal with my awesome power then you shall perish. I have a small chance of survival should someone attempt to kill me from the huge world of players should I not be fast enough to cast my sphere of my profession. 19seconds. doesnt give you much time to take out a ranging enforcer, I must defend myself. Lower his NR blind him and try land a root. Escape. Fixer appears out of no where. Those machine guns hurts. Ohh reclaim takes so long.

you do have some good ideas Nanofat. Some need work. One thing.. I can emphasize with you at this moment. The nano technician I built is dead.
    Last edited by macer85; Aug 11th, 2014 at 22:47:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanofat View Post
    All of us have our personal biases; so relax. .
    Actually, no, not all of us. I would love for this game to be balanced so I could play every profession but some profs are either boring, overpowered or have a very lackluster/broken toolkit and don't appeal to me at all.

NPE is needed, but the '1st playthrough' of AO needs sirius attention, mkay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptophy View Post
    The devs are pretty clear that they want to make the game harder. So if they take away some powers from everyone, that fits their design, whether people agree or not.
    Good, but I think it is best to buff the mobs/opponents. Not nerf professions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptophy View Post
    If people become more open-minded about the idea that the whole game is going to change, and that it should be tougher to complete content, then these "nerfs" don't appear so severe.
    Players wanted a rebalance of the current professions. Not a redefiniton. Pretty silly how they decided to delete the agent profession (you know, stealth, subterfuge, assassination and sniping) and make it into adventurer (in the documents) instead.
    Last edited by leetlover; Aug 12th, 2014 at 01:46:45.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

I know he seems to support FC in all of their decision making but thats just his thing.
    My thing is to support the NT profession to the detriment of every other profession - hell if I had my way this'd be the NT online forum.

All of us have our personal biases; so relax.

In my view we're at the point where we need to take some risks because we all know AO's been dying a death by a thousand cuts.
    Nothing has been released that can out-right kill AO; just drain the playerbase. Every new release of a big-title game saps the playerbase and when they eventually tire of their new toy; not everyone returns. AO's power as anyone who's tried to leave it knows is that its STILL the best in its... category... whatever that category is, i suspect its created its own category.

Never the less I can't even recall the last substantive or meaningful post on the NT forum that isn't just a re-asked question thats been answered a billion times already.

So, its your choice - guaranteed slow and miserable death over more years until AO finally calcifies or experimental shot-in-the-arm from the mad scientist we hardly trust- that might lead to survival or a violent and tumultuous, sudden death.

I vote the latter - there is no glory in timidity.
    No offence intended. (You're a model of a player and over the years I've seen you help if not hundreds of new players.) There is just one tiny detail; the success of this game is dependant on more factors than just the profession rebalance... something perhaps future new players from Steam (etc) wont even think about or notice.

[EDIT]: And just for the record... you should be an NT professional.
    Last edited by Gargle; Aug 12th, 2014 at 07:22:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

There is just one tiny detail; the success of this game is dependant on more factors than just the profession rebalance... .
    No argument there- but I'll take all I can get when it comes to AO changes.

something perhaps future new players from Steam (etc) wont even think about or notice.
    Providing the rebalanced ****es things up like I hope it will - it'll reinvigorate the forums for a time. Which is exactly what new players will notice - as of writing this; nobody has posted in the Trader forum for over a month. Thats not good PR.

Also; once this behemoth of a change is out of the way and the new engine is released - they'll have hopefully laid the ground-work making future changes simpler.

No offence intended. (You're a model of a player and over the years I've seen you help if not hundreds of new players.)
    [EDIT]: And just for the record... you should be an NT professional.
    Thanks for the votes of confidence but I suspect I'm not welcome at that level of discussion. I've lived through enough of the NT's history to become as twisted, bitter and cynical as the rest of the old ones. I only support the re-balance because I'm at the end of my wits with the status quo.

If anything; professionals should have term limits of a sort in my view. I'd rather have someone younger and idealistic willing to fight the cause and bring fresh ideas to FC's attention.

Thanks for the votes of confidence but I suspect I'm not welcome at that level of discussion. I've lived through enough of the NT's history to become as twisted, bitter and cynical as the rest of the old ones. I only support the re-balance because I'm at the end of my wits with the status quo.

If anything; professionals should have term limits of a sort in my view. I'd rather have someone younger and idealistic willing to fight the cause and bring fresh ideas to FC's attention.
    Well there are supposed to be TWO professionals for each prof. How about one old cynical experienced player and one fresh new ideas-filled player?

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

if they truly are vets (and not clueless trolling newblets) then they would know that these changes have been in the works for years and to suddenly be flabbergasted that they are now being introduced shows how little you appreciate and how well you know the game.
    And what about those Vets who have been fighting against these changes since thier first announcement? I guess we dont know anything either.

I've been quite vocal about my dislike of almost all of the proposed changes as both a normal player AND a professional for the engineer community.

Viewing most of the proposed changes on an indivisual profession basis they dont look quite so bad (though some of them still look idiotic), The real issue, for me atleast is when you view the changes as a whole.

Understanding the impact of these changes on the dynamics of a team/raidforce is where they realy start to look truly bad.
    They may make more sense on the AO of 5 years ago, when we had more of a population to compensate for the fact that people will have to relearn professions they've spent years practicing at and rediscovering systems for each raid, but thats just not going to happen, you can throw all the new engines and steam releases at AO you like the population is only ever going to continue to shrink, sadly, AO has had its day and theres nothing that will change that.

The current profession "redifinitions" on test are simply not feasable or suited to the direction that AO is headed in.

I suggest you actualy try to think past the initial "yay new and shiny" mindset and actualy try to conssider the impact of these changes on your loot farming raids, the changes you'll need to make to team set ups and how much more difficult its going to make actualy gathering teams/raid forces for things that are allready difficult to gather teams for.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast