Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Important Community Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
    Was this the final two nails in the coffin? We'll find out "soon"!
    Not as long as they find a new carrot that people believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    Not as long as they find a new carrot that people believe in.

You're implying we only pay for this game because of some carrot. I'd play this game forever as it is because I love it how it is, the changes are just a bonus.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Ya, I'm happy with game 'as is' but I agree there are some things that could improve the experience:

* multiboxing removed and/or /assist removed
    * gradual prof refinements/perks shuffles/nano tweaking/etc. that wasn't solely based "my advy isn't pwn enough" and actually included changes that occurred monthly/bi-monthly that meant players needed to stay up to date/play to keep track of them.
    * graphics updates / engine promises kept
    * some advertising or new players

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Ya, I'm happy with game 'as is' but I agree there are some things that could improve the experience:

* multiboxing removed and/or /assist removed
    * gradual prof refinements/perks shuffles/nano tweaking/etc. that wasn't solely based "my advy isn't pwn enough" and actually included changes that occurred monthly/bi-monthly that meant players needed to stay up to date/play to keep track of them.
    * graphics updates / engine promises kept
    * some advertising or new players
    Removing /assist would totally suck. Multiboxing on the other hand, that'd be nice, but they won't do it unless they can fulfill the fourth item on your list, 'cause let's face it, there's a crapload of multiboxing accounts out there, and they can't afford to lose any of those if they don't get more in return.

And on the GD thing... Why is it so many people believe these guys are Messiahs or something? Jeez. It's a company like any other. Just enjoy it while it's around (or until you're done with it).
    Protektor- Engydoggy- Spydoggy- RealMadrid - Some others.
    Rolling around RK since Dec 2001.
    ¡Se habla español!

tl:dr

But.. Now that we have a new GM, will some of the out of the blue, completely unnecessary, never asked for, plain weird, good for nothing ideas in the next patch be reviewed?

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    Wtb Means back, michi can be good. he has ben talking on forums atleast wich makes me happy.
    a honest director would help that doesnt try to hide if things goes realy bad etc.
    if he said ok guys.. next patch will take 10 years to release then ok i wont complain, atleast i wouldnt wait mounth after mounth to think maybe it comes next mounth..
    i think the biggest problem with the directors is that they cant tell anyone how things realy are and how long they belive a release of a patch, engine etc can take.
    i am realy curious what michi will write in his first post as director, i just hope we can get a honest eta on when things may come and not the good old ''Coming soon''
    It is only nostalgia that makes people think I should come back. (Kind of you to remember my time at AO. I miss you all too. It was very tough to leave.)

While I did the best I could, empirically I wouldn't say I did a great job...or at least didn't lead the project to a significantly better state than when I took over from Craig. I had far more resources and freedom when I ran AO than any of my successors. The lack of freedom and resources in following years is probably directly related to the perception of how I ran the project and can't be pinned on the people who continued to carry the project in later years. My fault...not theirs. If not my fault...at bare minimum not close enough to justify a second attempt. My love of the product and dedication to the game might have been there...but my success in delivering what needed to be done never materialized. If I couldn't get the resources I needed to get things done...that is my fault and nobody else's. Ultimately, keeping the community well informed of failure is still failure. I m very proud of a lot of the things I added to AO...but it didn't exactly thrive during my tenure as GD.

Michi is good. He will work his ass off (as he always has) to make the game as good as he can with what he has. We are lucky to have him and I wish him and FC a long happy future on AO.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Allways a pleasure to see you write some words here Means.

Cant wait this new monthly development update !

Wow Means, the fact that you take so much responsibility and take it so hard on yourself just proves you were one of FC's best ever employees.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    You're implying we only pay for this game because of some carrot. I'd play this game forever as it is because I love it how it is, the changes are just a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    And I'm the first to apologize to those that feel this way, but the diminishing population is a harsh mistress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    It is only nostalgia that makes people think I should come back. (Kind of you to remember my time at AO. I miss you all too. It was very tough to leave.)

While I did the best I could, empirically I wouldn't say I did a great job...or at least didn't lead the project to a significantly better state than when I took over from Craig. I had far more resources and freedom when I ran AO than any of my successors. The lack of freedom and resources in following years is probably directly related to the perception of how I ran the project and can't be pinned on the people who continued to carry the project in later years. My fault...not theirs. If not my fault...at bare minimum not close enough to justify a second attempt. My love of the product and dedication to the game might have been there...but my success in delivering what needed to be done never materialized. If I couldn't get the resources I needed to get things done...that is my fault and nobody else's. Ultimately, keeping the community well informed of failure is still failure. I m very proud of a lot of the things I added to AO...but it didn't exactly thrive during my tenure as GD.

Michi is good. He will work his ass off (as he always has) to make the game as good as he can with what he has. We are lucky to have him and I wish him and FC a long happy future on AO.
    I came here to see if there was a new monthly update (Coming here once a month to look is a bit like keeping up with a soap opera you've been watching for 14 years) and I see this post by Means. I just wanted to write something and point out how refreshing that post was. Much respect and well-wishes and all that good stuff to you Means

And good luck to the rest of you. I hope the latest departure and reshuffling of AO personnel wont postpone things too much.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Neigh.
    Well played Sir, well played indeed.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Ultimately, keeping the community well informed of failure is still failure. I m very proud of a lot of the things I added to AO...but it didn't exactly thrive during my tenure as GD.
    The difference between you and other GDs or even developers is the simple fact that you're honest. Sure, a failure is still a failure, but it takes brass balls and good heart to say that directly to your playerbase.

While you may feel that the game didn't thrive during your time as GD, I can honestly say from my perspective that the community DID. We knew our voices were being heard, you'd occasionally pop into the game to deal with player problems and listen to us when we bombarded you in /tells. One of my best memories of you was when you teleported onto my org while we were wall killing TNH and said "I'll pretend I didn't see this", because we ALL knew how much you hated players doing that.

THAT is what separates you from the rest Colin, the fact that you are also human and that you're compassionate enough to have a huge love of the game and a huge love of it's playerbase.

I know that you can never come back, but in my eyes, you were the best we ever had and I wish you all the luck for the future in the industry.

That and you had fantastic hair...
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Funcom employee

Thank you, Colin! It's always nice to see you around and I appreciate the kind words and wishes. I have very large shoes to fill, but I'll do everything I can to live up to what is expected and needed. Though, I'll never have such glorious hair.

As for the Monthly Update, it has been written, and is awaiting a final blessings before being posted up. I hope to have it vetted and posted early this week. I intend to have September's letter up on time - Sorry for the delay this month.
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    I want a statue of Michizure pointing at the statue of Means pointing at the sky.

Here's for hoping you'll backpedal from some 18.7 changes like you did with the grafts already. (*cough ubt nerf cough*)
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    This is so out of context regarding my quote that I don't even know how to respond...
    because i win.

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    Thank you, Colin! It's always nice to see you around and I appreciate the kind words and wishes. I have very large shoes to fill, but I'll do everything I can to live up to what is expected and needed. Though, I'll never have such glorious hair.

As for the Monthly Update, it has been written, and is awaiting a final blessings before being posted up. I hope to have it vetted and posted early this week. I intend to have September's letter up on time - Sorry for the delay this month.
    Thanks for keeping us informed, we haven't been spoiled like that in a while.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    The difference between you and other GDs or even developers is the simple fact that you're honest. Sure, a failure is still a failure, but it takes brass balls and good heart to say that directly to your playerbase.

While you may feel that the game didn't thrive during your time as GD, I can honestly say from my perspective that the community DID. We knew our voices were being heard, you'd occasionally pop into the game to deal with player problems and listen to us when we bombarded you in /tells. One of my best memories of you was when you teleported onto my org while we were wall killing TNH and said "I'll pretend I didn't see this", because we ALL knew how much you hated players doing that.

THAT is what separates you from the rest Colin, the fact that you are also human and that you're compassionate enough to have a huge love of the game and a huge love of it's playerbase.

I know that you can never come back, but in my eyes, you were the best we ever had and I wish you all the luck for the future in the industry.

That and you had fantastic hair...
    this indeed. i remeber Means inside the game loads of times.
    Lindelu was also very active inside the game talking with players wich i remeber many used to talk about. i was also lucky to met her to reveal some bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptophy View Post
    Wow Means, the fact that you take so much responsibility and take it so hard on yourself just proves you were one of FC's best ever employees.
    Sadly, he can only put voice to his own feelings of failure BECAUSE he is no longer an employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

I was busy with work stuff so I just noticed this post.
    I'm not sure why I didn't see the first notification.

Wow...

I am saddened by the loss of Macrosun and Genele. I wish both of them the best of luck in their future endeavors. Your work and dedication will be missed.

I am also equally gladdened by the news that Michi is taking the reins! (Yet another pony reference, I couldn't resist!) I have had the pleasure of playing, bug hunting, goofing around, discussing ideas etc with him. We are in good hands!

I'm happy to see that former employees like Means, Kintai, Shadowgod and Lindelu (sorry if I missed any others) still follow what's going on. It shows the love they still have for the game and the people they may have once worked with.

That said, I would love to see Michi drop in AOSpeak like he used to. Not sure if he is able to but the invitation is always there. Same goes for all the rest of you!
    DROP TABLE AO.Secret_Nerf_Table

AOSpeak Site
    Join AOSpeak, the Anarchy Online Teamspeak 3 server!
    Send /tell speak help for more information.

I cried man tears this thread.

I also laughed man laughs this thread too.

Hats off to Means !

Beeing honest with yourself and your customers is a rare virtue. One thing I learned over the years working at different managerial positions is that the most important skill of any manager is choosing the right priorities and properly allocating available resources.

Look at 18.7 feedback - there is a lot of proposed changes and MAJORITY of those are not really needed or welcome by the comunity. Wasting time and resources on unnecessary changes while not progressing on things that should be top priority proves how bad GD Genele was.

I can only hope that Michizure will not make the same mistake and will be able to set up the right priorities.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast