Thread: Shackles of Obedience-- How are snares supposed to work?

Shackles of Obedience-- How are snares supposed to work?

A couple days ago I was doing Sector 7 with my 199 crat and snared the Leech boss. I noticed that despite being snared he was still moving a few steps. Let me clarify that the nano was still running in the mobs NCU (per the NCU window) and this was confirmed by a doctor that was also in the instance (meaning I don't think it was lag on my part).

Yesterday, I was in Sector 42 and the pats were running around just fine while snared. Someone threw out the theory that once you get out of range of the Pats, they behave as if the snare is not running in their NCU. I was going with that theory until I did Sector 7 again today and disproved it because I was never out of aggro range of the Leech boss nor did it ever totally deagg (I was in the same room with the boss).

Any ideas on why this is happening? I figured I would reach out and ask the community first before posting in the bug report section.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

When stuff is snared the walkspeed is unaffected and the pats in s42 hade a very high walkspeed, and the reason they stop when snared is that they engage runspeed when they are agged. When they loose agg they start walking again and thus move very fast until they get agged again.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

I do a lot of S7 and I ve noticed the same thing.
    However I would rather say it is some kind of bug or random factor. For example sometime Leech stay snared for the whole fight and sometimes I have to run around quite a lot and recast snare several times.

The theory about walking does not convince me because when snared Leech is aproching me I can cast snare again and it works just fine.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

The pats are special like that, all other mobs act differently to snares, i'll explain when i'm home at the computer

Are you on live or test? The latest test notes indicated they fixed snares so that they no longer act like roots. In any case, having a *edit snare act as a root* depends on the mob being at rest when they are snared - snaring moving mobs has always slowed them down rather than rooting them in my experience. I don't know if either of these fit your situation.
    Last edited by Tryptophy; Sep 2nd, 2014 at 19:15:15.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Live
    You can find me at:

Ok, they way snares work on LIVE is like this:
    If you snare a mob that's not aggroed and standin still it will acct as a root.
    If you aggro it and you cast the snare ehile it moves it will contine to move to the spot where standing when you casted the snare and when it reaches that spot it will stop and the snare will act as a root leaving the mob standing there.

I hope that answers a few questions.

On 18.7 test i've played around with a fixer inside the alien ship and it's actually the same thing there, mobs get rooted by snares in the same way i explained above.

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    Ok, they way snares work on LIVE is like this:
    If you snare a mob that's not aggroed and standin still it will acct as a root.
    If you aggro it and you cast the snare ehile it moves it will contine to move to the spot where standing when you casted the snare and when it reaches that spot it will stop and the snare will act as a root leaving the mob standing there.
    I'm still not clear.

If I snare an aggro'd mob that is standing still, why would it all of a sudden start running again with the snare still in the NCU? Someone mentioned earlier that the walk speed on certain mobs is high but the Pat I was watching was going at normal run speed, not walking. Essentially it was moving as if there was no snare at all, full speed in a circle until it aggro'd someone again then it was rooted.

I thought when I snare a mob it reduces its runspeed. In the case of shackles, it should reduce the NPC's runspeed by 1,400 points. So yeah, I'd expect the mob (depending on its starting runspeed) to creep along towards whatever is aggro'd. What I'm seeing, however, is a snared mob being rooted (get they are changing that in 18.7.x.. forgot about that line of the patch notes) but why does it just ignore the shackles in its NCU when I'm out of aggro range?
    Last edited by Traderjill; Sep 2nd, 2014 at 20:24:00.
    You can find me at:

I can 100% approve of the Shackle issues. Especially in S7, because I use it there most.

Neither do I really understand the explanation here. But that's because it doesn't match my experience.

Very often I snare a non-aggro mob and it does not act rooted at all, it just keeps running towards me because it then is aggro. And all other tries to snare it won't do anything.
    Also, aggroed mobs sometimes just stay where they are when I snare them in their run. They usually run on the spot then.

In regard to S7: I always do it the same way. I don't use a different tactic or use different nanos or petbuffs or whatever. And sometimes everything just goes well and sometimes everything is just messy. There's always aggro ping-pong between me and my pets, I'm always at the door (so that's probably out of aggro range), but the results to how Shackles works, are completely random. So that doesn't appear like an actual mechanic to me, more like a "luck based" thing.

Especially because I have experienced similar issues with roots as well. Happend to me quite a few times now, that I rooted a mob and it kept running. Even though I got a "Nano program executed successfully.", I can see the root in the ncu, I didn't hit the mob and also can see the blue'ish thing around it. It just keeps moving.
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

If you are in LOS of patroller, the snare will stay on it. The snare does soo much - runspeed that the mob looks rooted. If you run too far away, or if you jump onto a hill, the patroller seems to wipe its hatelist, and start running its predetermined path again. The snare is still active within the ncu, but does not effect runspeed until another player aggroes the patroller. At this point patroller will stop moving wherever agro was picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Soju View Post
    If you are in LOS of patroller, the snare will stay on it. The snare does soo much - runspeed that the mob looks rooted. If you run too far away, or if you jump onto a hill, the patroller seems to wipe its hatelist, and start running its predetermined path again. The snare is still active within the ncu, but does not effect runspeed until another player aggroes the patroller. At this point patroller will stop moving wherever agro was picked up.
    You just basically restated the problem I asked about in my original post regarding S42. I'm looking for a reasonable explanation on why the mechanic is working that way as it doesn't make any sense.
    You can find me at:

I think that LOS wiping hatelist leading to snare failing is a different root / cause issue than snare failing during combat vs control leech.
    I have only farmed the leech via hide behind the door and spam pets method. I have never snared control leech far away and left it alone.
    Last edited by Soju; Sep 5th, 2014 at 04:37:47.

I always assumed Leech had a snare/root breaker. Because I can only keep it in place by spamming snare, seems to break with in 2-5 sec fighting pets.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

That's not really related to the issue I have referred to in this post. The snare breaking is just part of the nano mechanics. If you look at the nano's page on auno there are fields called Chance of break on attack/debuff/nano. I really wish that information showed up in game.
    You can find me at:

What I am saying isn't part of the snare nano, I have assumed that Leech has an actual effect or proc that breaks or reduces time on snares/roots. That is totally an assumption because he has broken my snare when my pets are on /pet wait to heal up standing next to him. I had assumed it triggered when Leech launched an attack or his Mind Control. I have no proof of that though. Maybe somewhere in DB someone can find a listing of Leech's attacks?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Been a looong time sinc i've killed leech, but i know other mobs that do run a nano/proc to break roots and snares (db3, crater boss adds) so it's totally possible the leech also does that, if it does it's likely to show in their ncu asssuming you have that feature on.