Thread: Is IP spending tight on all classes while leveling?

Is IP spending tight on all classes while leveling?

Or are some worse than others?

On my fixer, which doesn't seem like it has that many skills - spending has been terribly tight for the past 40 levels. I'm hoping because of dark blue nano skills (which are far from being max) and maintaining all 3 evades is the reason.
    To cast my level 75 back armor and longterm hot I dedicated levels 70-78 to solely raising nano skills. Which in turn meant the skills I was raising were all behind 9 levels, compounded with the stuff I already had to give up has made leveling not feel very rewarding.
    With the way things are, I doubt I'll be able to cast my level 100 nanos till 120.

Are there classes that have more breathing room while leveling? (easier time maintaining weapons/nanos, room for tradeskills, can maintain things like firstaid/bodydev without sacrificing others, etc)

Fixers have it bad with nanoskills, but it will get better.
    Out of interest, have you made your NCU Hacker Interface to help you with your nanoskills ?

PS: The only "Tradeskill" a Fixer would generally IP is B&E.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

I think it's typical for most professions to suffer IP problems until a bit into TL5 when breedcaps and TL locks make you have oodles and oodles of spare ip, then in the early shadow levels you will have too little again until around 210+.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

There are almost no exceptions to this rule:

Don't try to use nanos that are beyond your level

RK combat profs (enf/MA/soldier/fixer/agent/advy) will get WTF owned on IP if you try to "max" nanoskills as well as some combination of non-green weapon skills, evades and/or BD, NR, inits, and support (RS/CL/FA/treat)

Basically, the best you can do if you want to function at near or peak performance while levelling is to do the following:

* choose 2 handed weapons that appear to be built for your class (advy excepted)
    * only raise BD if it's green or light blue
    * only raise evade close until around level 100 (at which point DR becomes useful, notably smugglers den daily will roast you with no IP in DR)
    * only raise CL enough to equip a 6 slot belt around 60-75 and a low QL compiler if absolutely needed then don't raise it again until TL5
    * max runspeed, treatment and first aid (generally this holds true for all classes especially if you actually PLAY the game and don't get kited to level x, which also means re-equipping periodically)
    * only raise the nanoskills needed to use the BARE necessity nanos for combat - for example, for many profs you will not need both PM and SI in combat - you can therefore make a few swaps or even get a 131 to buff prior to combat, then raise the skills needed to use your buffs only when you have extra IP.

This is a really important IP savings because for many profs a lot of buffs won't be available anyway, being Dyna drops which you may not be able to afford anyway, or choose not to for levelling.

* save IP on inits prior to level 100 by maintaining your agg/def bar at near 100% agg. this is a no-brainer. AC's will provide a huge amount of damage mitigation, and you can never get your DPS high enough to kill mobs swiftly if you play DEFish anyway, so best bet is to use other forms of mitigation/healing and just plan to heal up after every fight with a sit kit. Many profs as well have other options what work regardless of agg/def stance, enforcer, for example with absorbs, advy with cyclic absorbs, soldier with TMS, MA with big self heals via red dawn, agent with tranquilizer and massive dmg via AS at max range, etc.

That's my advice. I have levelled a lot of toons and these are the rules I play by. In general I never go the kiting route because I like to play the game, and I find it goes just as fast anyway. Besides by playing my toon I usually have a really good understanding of how much damage+mitigation I can deal with before I need to start looking for exits etc. which makes it a lot easier at later levels when you pull 3-4 orange mobs and you got to decide to fight/flee.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Thank you

Mcknuckle has some good advice. It's all about spending your IP efficiently.

IP spending is less of a problem for experienced players because they only spend when they need to (e.g. when you're out leveling, only increasing skills that improve combat effectiveness. When twinking only increase the amount required to equip something).

Skills that benefit you directly in combat are main weapons skill (since it increases weapon damage), body dev (for HP), evades (usually evade close or dodge ranged), and a couple of nanoskills (if I have higher QL nanos that I am waiting to use).

Base abilities (int, strength, psyc, stamina, agility, sense) don't get spent IP on at all until I need them to equip something or if they're getting so low that it has a significant impact on other essential skills. Nano pool only gets spent on if I'm having problems with nano during fights. Special attacks like fling shot and burst rarely need to be maxed (especially fling shot since it has very low benefit to maxing. Burst may be worth maxing if you have the IP).

So generally I have loads of IP left over and only really spend it when I go to do some twinking (this is the same for pretty much any profession I pick)
    Casual/former player known as
    - Nnivekccub / Kingduck / Mongoose

Just a tiny side note out of personal experience:

My very first Engineer tried to always use the top most pet healing nano. The pet heal nanos need Bio Metamorphosis which is not used by any other nano. I stopped putting IP into BM after I reached 837 points (necessary for Master's Repair).

After I've reached 220/30/70 I reset all my IPs and can still use Master's Repair without putting ANY IPs into BM!

Unfortunately I HAD to use those IPs during my level up...

First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

Don't try to use nanos that are beyond your level

[...]

* only raise the nanoskills needed to use the BARE necessity nanos for combat - for example, for many profs you will not need both PM and SI in combat - you can therefore make a few swaps or even get a 131 to buff prior to combat, then raise the skills needed to use your buffs only when you have extra IP.
    I only want to add that those two points might not be applicable for pet professions. Depending on their level and/or play style they might want to raise MC and TS as high as possible in order to use the highest attack pets. Thus, the level of the pets (and their Nano Crystals) might be much higher than the level of the toon.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Personally I will usually max run speed, stats, health, and weapon. First aid only enough to use a decent stim, treatment only raise when I want to equip imps/symbs. Evade close to 75%- 100% maxed if in SL, nano skills usually the necessities and weapon specials maybe every 2-3 lvls with spare IP. I never run with full agg, usually 50-50 because I don't want to get hit as much. I usually have IP to spare every level and playstyle will determine where u juggle any extras or if you bank them for later.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.