Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *YAWN* Its been held back longer

@Lheann: Something seems to be off with your numbers there. My fully updated live client is 3.04GB, Testlive is 3.05GB
    Maybe you have the testlive client on a subdirectory of the main AO client? That'd make up for the 6GB you're experiencing.

I'd assume the 23.8GB are not from this engine, therefore not indicative of 18.7 itself.

To the topic - Yes, the requirements are very, very outdated. Though changing it now to something including "DX7 compatible graphics card" instead of waiting for the new engine to come out and take that opportunity to upgrade the specs to more modern standards would likely be a worse choice for FC's marketing dept.
    That said I'm 100% for practicality over marketing so.. update the damned thing! It's a 2 minutes fix.
    Last edited by DigitalBath; Nov 22nd, 2014 at 21:46:25.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Just checked and I have a copy of "cd image" directory as I do my own custom skin. A oh crap I broke the game fall back check point. That is 2.87 GB of extra space being used. Appears I have a few of the patches saved for some reason as well. That probably makes the differences up. As for the 18.7 client I check it and that is a single install with no duplicates.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

@Lheann: Check PM
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

@DigitalBath: Checked and Replied! Cheers!
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Newsflash: Intel does not know how to make gaming graphics. Their marketing will tell you it will run any game blah blah, the reality is no it will not. Never has, and looks like it never will. They simply do not understand non-business needs. Expecting any other company to be responsible for the hubris and ego of that enormous and out of touch corporation is asinine.

IF there are work around and they are not going to spend a man-year of dev time fixing your inept purchasing decision working to implement it, great. if not, learn to buy gaming computers for gaming. Business machines WILL NOT suffice.

Sidenote: Up until the recent release of osx 10.10, I had AO running just fine in wine. At the moment the binaries are all in flux so it is inop, but I am certain once the change over to 10.10 is further down the road, I will have no problems getting it to run again on my early 08 MBP, which uses nvidia 8600m. You might want to be certain you know what your doing before you complain, because "I gave up it was too hard" doesn't really cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by krynnotaur View Post
    Newsflash: Intel does not know how to make gaming graphics. Their marketing will tell you it will run any game blah blah, the reality is no it will not. Never has, and looks like it never will. They simply do not understand non-business needs. Expecting any other company to be responsible for the hubris and ego of that enormous and out of touch corporation is asinine.

IF there are work around and they are not going to spend a man-year of dev time fixing your inept purchasing decision working to implement it, great. if not, learn to buy gaming computers for gaming. Business machines WILL NOT suffice.

Sidenote: Up until the recent release of osx 10.10, I had AO running just fine in wine. At the moment the binaries are all in flux so it is inop, but I am certain once the change over to 10.10 is further down the road, I will have no problems getting it to run again on my early 08 MBP, which uses nvidia 8600m. You might want to be certain you know what your doing before you complain, because "I gave up it was too hard" doesn't really cut it.
    Meh, the Intel iGFX chips aren't terrible for light gaming. My ASUS T100 can run everything from Quake II to UT3 adequately, on a HD4000 series Atom based GPU. My Dell lappy with Intel gfx on an i5 does even better, Shadow of Mordor runs, again only adequately, but it runs. Heck, my Venue 8 tablet runs HL2 great. Intel integrated graphics are decidedly not true gaming-grade chips, but they are just about the best integrated solution so far, and give you the option of at least casual gaming on a business machine. Actually, I think Mordor actually still looks better on i5 integrated than it does on console. So whatever.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by UNIDENTIFIED View Post
    AO System requirements is outdated

Processor: Pentium II 300
    Memory: 512MB
    Graphics: DirectX 3D 8Mb video card
    DirectX: 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 700mb
    Sound: DirectX Compatible

Source: http://www.funcom.com/games/ao
    And if you can get Windows 7 to run on that hardware, you're off to a good start

Seriously though, yes it is a major problem that AO doesn't run on modern machines. And yes, it's being addressed, albeit slowly, by the new engine. It would be stupid and pointless to try and fix the specific chipset issues at this point because, in all honesty, the best and maybe the only way to fix a lot of them is, you guessed it, via a new engine.

I hate to cut FC any slack for this, but there really is nothing to do at this point except A) wait for the new engine, or B) wait for AO to die. Whichever happens first is anybody's guess, but hey, who knows.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    really is nothing to do at this point except A) wait for the new engine, or B) wait for AO to die.

Wait, are people still seriously expecting it to be launched, ever?

I'm not up to date on newer laptops with onboard and dedicated graphics cards, but about 4 years ago when I was still servicing them you could enable/disable/set shared memory the onboard graphics in the bios; it then wouldn't ever be visible or an option in windows or any software installed on the system.
    Is that no longer the case? or has that just not been tried as yet ?
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

@Caloss2: It depends on the model of the laptop. Some models allow you to set the shared memory, others to set Dynamic vs. Fixed mode (e.g. Switchable graphics vs. Just the dedicated graphics card). Newer models of many brands don't give the user either of these options anymore and you have to either get a custom modified BIOS (something the average user shouldn't even consider) or get used to what you have. Not sure these changes are a result of using the UEFI instead of the traditional BIOS, but even customizing the new ones seems to be a pain compared to the old days..

My girlfriend has one of these "newer" ones, it's about 2 years old (bought Nov 2012). It runs most recent games with relative ease on high settings without anti-aliasing. AO glitches to hell and back (doesn't render the ground + random grid-like nano effects all over the screen) and only detects the integrated card on the launcher, regardless of what settings we've tried both on the AO client, driver control panel and custom driver tools (RadeonPRO, etc) we've tried, both on Windows 7 and 8/8.1 and both the latest manufacturer-provided drivers and the most recent available drivers (made available by leshcat). I would have tried older drivers but she plays recent games and she's not willing to gimp her laptop for a single game.

I've tried everything short of running a VM, because my girlfriend also doesn't want to run a VM just to play a single game and well.. it's her laptop.
    I can't imagine a new player would go through half of what I did to try and get AO running on an average laptop so a fix is in order..

If the fix is coming only with the new engine, it'll take quite a while and many players, new and current, may encounter issues as DX7 support fades from NVIDIA/AMD drivers. If it's something simpler and fixable before the new engine then I'd say it's should be on fairly high priority.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

Ah I did wonder, I do like the options I get with the asus MB I currently use the ufi bios is very easy to navigate with active mouse control etc.
    Custom bios is something I would do, but not reccomend to everyone either, humm it's definitely a sticky point for the games future I can't see Nvidia continuing DX7 support in their drivers for much longer either. :/
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Ah I did wonder, I do like the options I get with the asus MB I currently use the ufi bios is very easy to navigate with active mouse control etc.
    Custom bios is something I would do, but not reccomend to everyone either, humm it's definitely a sticky point for the games future I can't see Nvidia continuing DX7 support in their drivers for much longer either. :/
    Same here, using the ASUS CFV-Z.. it's almost too easy to set up a nice stable overclocked system with it

To the point.. I've said it before but it's something to repeat.. the majority of computers sold since 2008 use either 100% integrated or switchable graphics solutions. The newer i5 and i7 based laptops as well as the AMD's APU-based systems are proof this trend, big as it is, is still on the rise (until tablets outsell laptops, anyway.. that's gonna be a fun game changer too).

Not fixing this is one of the most unhealthy things for AO's future, imho. (if not THE most unhealthy thing..).
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>