Thread: The Professionals Program Nominations

Profession noms

YOU MAY NOT NOMINATE YOURSELF, SOMEONE ELSE MUCH NOMINATE YOU
    We cant nominate ourselves? Why not? how do i let others know that i would like to be in the running for doc professional?

THE MESSAGE MUST BE FORMATTED AS ABOVE. IF YOUR MESSAGE IS NOT IN THE PROPER FORMAT, THE NOMINATION WILL BE DISCARDED AND NOT COUNTED. NO EXCEPTIONS. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WITHIN THE MESSAGE - THE BODY SHOULD CONTAIN *NOTHING* BUT THE REQUESTED LINK.

ILL REPLY BACK WITH MY OWN CAPS REPLY

ITS MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!!!

git outta here with that. I dont even wanna work with someone that isnt flexible like you. this is volunteer work to set a representive that might not even matter because in the past professionals havent been able to do much cause fc doesnt care.

dont nominate me i dont even wanna be in the running anymore. GL pps

The Professionals Program Nominations

I think the concept of the Professionals program is good but I'm a tad confused regarding the nominations process. In fact, I guess it would be accurate to say I disagree with it in its current form.

I'm guessing there's nothing that will be done for this round of nominations/elections but figured I'd post a suggestion for the future and explain the reason behind my suggestion.

From the perspective of someone that wishes to be a candidate it is frustrating that I have to rely on someone else to not only recognize my capability to perform the role but more importantly to also have the initiative to take the time and post a nomination. Additionally, not only do they have to send a PM but apparently if it isn't perfectly formatted, the nomination will be thrown out. This really doesn't sit well with me as this isn't some sort of scientific study or government form that has to be filled out in triplicate. If I send a message asking you to nominate JohnDoe and somehow screw up on the link or include a Thanks in the body of the message.. I'd think common sense should kick in and JohnDoe would be added to the nomination list. The way the nominations posts was worded, sounds like that is not the case.

The elected professionals are the ones that are taking on a role and associated responsibilities. The players that are being represented are not assuming any duties outside of voting. The nomination process is putting the responsibility in the hands of people that truly may not be interested in any additional responsibilities (thus not wanting to be a professional themselves).

---
    From the perspective of a player, with toons of every profession, I want to have good professionals. The problem is that I have no idea who is interested in doing the job and therefore have no way of knowing who to nominate without going from person to person asking "Do you have any interest in being a professional?" This is a waste of time, not only on my part but the part of whoever is tasked with sorting through nomination PMs and communicating with potential candidates. As it stands, I have a list of 0 people to nominate. I am interested in getting good folks in that role but who? I have no idea who is willing to volunteer for such a thing. It isn't just a title on the forums but a certain level of responsibility to help improve the state of the game.

---
    So instead of asking people to send PM's: Post a thread in each profession area for self-nominations. Anyone interested in being a professional would then be expected to include relevant details regarding their experience in-game, ability to perform the duties of the role, etc. Basically information that would help players make a decision.

I think this would eliminate unnecessary steps in your process (i.e. having to contact nominated people and see if they are interested) in addition to assuring that anyone interested in the role has the opportunity to enter the election.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Oct 20th, 2014 at 05:43:38.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Agree with all the issues jill has.
    I also posted on FB AO page for more visibility.

I have no problem with contacting people to ask if they are interested.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

We're following the previously established format, which was not previously established by me. The format makes sorting through various PMs a bit easier for me, however, which is part of the reason we didn't change it.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...&table=CONTENT
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

You mean like this? Volunteers?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I have no problem with contacting people to ask if they are interested.
    I'm glad that the process doesn't inconvenience you but that doesn't change much in the way of the point I was making with my original post. This is a volunteer position where people interested don't have the actual opportunity to volunteer. I get the voting process but the nomination part of this entire thing just seems convoluted.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    You mean like this? Volunteers?
    Yes and No. Yes, in that a simple thread should have been started. No, in that the thread you linked was started by a player so it allows for people to pretty much go off-topic. From what I can see in that thread, as of this time, there is not a single volunteer.. just people complaining about the program. If the thread had been started by a forum moderator with guidelines that each volunteer can make a single on-topic post (with all other posts being removed) then it would serve its purpose.
    You can find me at:

I actually read that website link and even asked you about it, two weeks ago. I get that you seem to be using the previously established format, I'm just suggesting that the format is convoluted.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I get that you too are a volunteer. I just personally was really put off by some of the 18.7 changes and the seemingly lack of consideration given to player feedback regarding the game. I believe I saw someplace that Michi plans to utilize the program (hopefully better than his predecessors) so it would be nice if we got people in the roles that not only have the knowledge but also the desire to truly make these volunteer positions shine. It seems, to me at least, that the process you have in place isn't conducive to helping you guys find the type of people you need.

I'm on the forums a lot and I talk to almost anyone in game, regardless of faction/level/experience. If I am having trouble coming up with decent nominees.. I'd imagine I am not alone. Heck, most people I talked to about the Professional Nominations didn't even know they were happening.
    You can find me at:

Sezmra, Bekrowe, and I are following the program voting guidelines as previously laid out by Kintaii, since this is our first time overseeing it. We're barely halfway through the process at this time, so we're not going to be evaluating its effectiveness until we have actually completed the process. When its done, we'll make a decision on whether or not we need to make adjustments for the next time.

Thank you for the advise.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I actually read that website link and even asked you about it, two weeks ago. I get that you seem to be using the previously established format, I'm just suggesting that the format is convoluted.

I am not trying to give you a hard time, I get that you too are a volunteer. I just personally was really put off by some of the 18.7 changes and the seemingly lack of consideration given to player feedback regarding the game. I believe I saw someplace that Michi plans to utilize the program (hopefully better than his predecessors) so it would be nice if we got people in the roles that not only have the knowledge but also the desire to truly make these volunteer positions shine. It seems, to me at least, that the process you have in place isn't conducive to helping you guys find the type of people you need.

I'm on the forums a lot and I talk to almost anyone in game, regardless of faction/level/experience. If I am having trouble coming up with decent nominees.. I'd imagine I am not alone. Heck, most people I talked to about the Professional Nominations didn't even know they were happening.
    Well, there's not much I can do to force people to read the appropriate forums other than what I did. I don't see what's convoluted about the process, since its "If you think this person is knowledgeable and articulate enough to represent your profession and meets these criteria, send me a message". Seems you are adding additional requirements that are not there, that increases the complexity in a way that we did not specify.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Sezmra, Bekrowe, and I are following the program voting guidelines as previously laid out by Kintaii, since this is our first time overseeing it. We're barely halfway through the process at this time, so we're not going to be evaluating its effectiveness until we have actually completed the process. When its done, we'll make a decision on whether or not we need to make adjustments for the next time.

Thank you for the advise.
    You're welcome.
    You can find me at:

Well, there's not much I can do to force people to read the appropriate forums other than what I did.
    You can't force people to read the appropriate forums but there is more that could be done to bring attention to the nominations. For example, there could have been just a single posting (global forum announcement/sticky/whatever it is called) that included a full list of available positions. (That definitely would've put a bit more light on the topic, to start. It also would be nice if there was something on the game launch screen as well. (I recall that being the case some years ago when nominations were being done.)

I don't see what's convoluted about the process <snip>Seems you are adding additional requirements that are not there, that increases the complexity in a way that we did not specify.
    I'd hope you not use a process that you thought was convoluted I just gave you my perspective which is something you guys can take into consideration or simply toss out as nonsense.. your choice there. I added nothing to the process except the simple expectations that if someone signs up to be one of the professionals that they actually perform the functions of the role. There's a lot of change incoming to AO, profession wise, which I'd think would make it even more critical that you have people interested it doing it. But hey, maybe that's just my warped impression of what the program is about and what is in store for this game.

I do appreciate you engaging in this conversation and appreciate you taking the time to do this.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Oct 20th, 2014 at 17:57:50.
    You can find me at:

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    You can't force people to read the appropriate forums but there is more that could be done to bring attention to the nominations. For example, there could have been just a single posting (global forum announcement/sticky/whatever it is called) that included a full list of available positions. That definitely would've put a bit more light on the topic, to start. It also would be nice if there was something on the game launch screen as well. (I recall that being the case some years ago when nominations were being done.)
    There is an announcement in the Profession forums.

An explanation of what happens with announcements: only one announcement can be viewed at any time, in a particular forum. We no longer use Global announcements in all forums, because it overwrites necessary announcements in the Report a Bug, Report an Exploit, and Beta forums. So generally if ARK does announcements, its in the Announcement area and the Community Forums, which trickles down to all subforums, including the Profession forums.

Unfortunately at this time, we ALSO needed an announcement for the Halloween activities, which needed to go in the Community Forum subhead also. We altered that announcement so it was in specific forums, so it didn't overwrite the Profession forum announcement.

This can be a bit tricky.

I'd hope you not use a process that you thought was convoluted I just gave you my perspective which is something you guys can take into consideration or simply toss out as nonsense.. your choice there. I added nothing to the process except the simple expectations that if someone signs up to be one of the professionals that they actually perform the functions of the role. There's a lot of change incoming to AO, profession wise, which I'd think would make it even more critical that you have people interested it doing it. But hey, maybe that's just my warped impression of what the program is about and what is in store for this game.

I do appreciate you engaging in this conversation and appreciate you taking the time to do this.
    Remember, after nominations everyone nominated will have the opportunity to give a 'campaign speech' and explain why they feel qualified for the position. So you'll be able to make an informed choice at that point.

If we only have enough suitable nominees to fill the available positions (for example, only one or two nominees for the Trader positions), then we may not hold a vote for those nominees. Again, I stress this will occur after we vet their suitability for the position, a process which involves looking into forum history, game history, etc.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

I am using Nanotechs as an example but could apply to any profession.

I think where part of the concern is for example Nanotechs currently have no professionals. No one knows who to nominate, who is eligible, or even who would like to become a professional. If someone wanted to apply for that position, no one would even know since they can not nominate themselves.

Now it may be that if that time frame goes by you may open up some form of "apply here' candidates or write in ballot type process. But for major profession changes like 18.7 that could be time sensitive BEFORE a professional is appointed to offer feedback/liason to current players etc.

Granted I understand you do not want to get dozens of self nominations, but for example Nanotechs is that any better than Player A telling his org mate Player B, to nominate him (qualified or not) to get his name on an empty ballot?

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

The easiest soultion I can see is that if someone is interested in being a Professional (Great Maker help you is all I'll say) Then just post up in your profs forum that you would like to be nominated, post a link to the Prof thread with info on how to apply & /hope/ that someone else will bother to apply on your behalf.

Fwiw, I agree with Jill, this process seems unnecessarily convoluted in regards to the being nominated lark, but there we go. Why we can't just have people nominate themselves is beyond me, surely you guys can manage to sift through the many thousands of private mails you get in a week to see the ones for nominations......
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

the issue is that many would consider to nominate themself wich in my eyes would feel sorry for the person who has to handle it

Crickets chirping...

My Story

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Who would want the NT proff job? acting as a bile buffer between players and FC; hell no. And I don't blame anyone playing NT for that bile either, the last nerf made me quit mine.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.