Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new twist on an old RP initiative!

Exclamation A new twist on an old RP initiative!

Hey gang.. with the recent departure and additions to the ARK Events team, it comes to mind that we as players could be a little more proactive with each other. There has always been this sort of cold shoulder (I hesitate to use the term Cold War) between the rk1 and the rk2 roleplayers. In our respective dimensions we have evolved a bit differently than the other. When the servers where being rumoured to merge, this set about a series of troubling thoughts because some of us on rk2 had kept tabs on some things on rk1, and often out of curiosity we'd visit - or some would visit us. Some of it went well, some of it not so much.

But, there was a nice tradition that the RK1 folks had called the Greencloaks. Those of us on RK2 basically just used our OOC bot (run previously by Trousers, and then eventually by Ahndramoriel and myself) to plan things, but our community eventually was so small and we were so into each other than we almost didn't really need it. However, with the raising of our player numbers and all of our alts that work within the RP scene it looks like this would be a good time to get collaborative! What I hope here is that we as a group came come together and get right to it with creating collaborative storylines ( or scheme against each other!) between our RP toons.

Like the greencloak meetings, we could meet at Reet's Retreat or anywhere else that seems appropriate. We could all just throw lots at or with each other, and get some creative juices flowing. People can announce their initiatives and gather up likeminded folks who would be willing to contribute or just get involved. In short, Networking!

At one point in time Omni-pol (and Omni-tek in general) had the bulk of the roleplayers in our new server, but since then have swayed completely counter all the way to Clan side showing the larger more active numbers. This is thrilling for me personally, because wow did I wait for a long time for Clan things to get active! But, it's still just as lopsided just with a different coat of paint. Hilfy and I have been talking about it and she was kind enough to offer this thread here, to offer anyone willing to try to contact the various RP toons that are available the opportunity to do so.

But I'd prefer it not stop there.

I propose we get another set of player meetings, completely under our own power. ARK Event Staff of course are invited to come, but are not required to do so. I think this is a good opportunity to solve not only the dimensional differences we had before, but offer up a new format and forum to which we as players can start really getting involved in each other's backstories and current evolutions. This is while providing a new place for new role players to meet and greet the veterans, and helping them get involved! I am not often playing when the ARK Event IC meetings are taking place (Like the Council of Truth, The NLCC, and the newly formed Omni-tek Affiliate Program for example) and I apologize in advance that I'd like to organize the first event and get everyone's take on the current situation, and see if there is room to squeeze something like this in.

However, if you wish to leave any comments, recommendations, or feedback please do so in this thread. Happy RP hunting in the meantime!
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

With the heavy lack of Roleplay some months ago, i decided to uninstall the game and just quit thinking about it, but i must admit i am missing the game aswell as the roleplay heavily, so if something is planned out and put out live, im more then willing to help you out hun. whenever i got some time for it atleast between the school work and real life.
    Personally i did see a great plan in the green cloak meetings (tho i did not participate in many, but i did get good thoughts of those i was in) id love to see those started with all those who are interested/able to participate.
    “You can't undo anything you've already done, but you can face up to it. You can tell the truth. You can seek forgiveness. And then let fate do the rest.”
    Proud Member of steadfast <3
    Love you guys! <3

Seeing as how it's hard to get newbies, or even players who are into AO without considering the RP, I'm positive they can be convinced through this initiative. I'd very much like to help out since we share the predicament of not being able to participate in the RP events due to time
    Lucio "Zustol" Houston (Lv.123, Engineer), OT-RP
    DC Glenn "Vitellus" Vai (Lv. 62, MP), Department of Investigations
    ----------------
    [Policebot] Policebot: I am lonely.

I used to like the Greencloaks meetings, cause at the time, it was really the only OOC arena we had and it was nice meeting your "arch enemy" and share a laugh as well as plan or brainstorm stories. I recognise that we do a lot of that on IRC/RKRPOOC nowadays, but it feels more detached than the Greencloaks meetings did. I'm all for it, provided they're in a globally timezone-friendly time . If I may suggest, it could be a good idea to maybe limit the time such a meeting takes place, or at least have some sort of topic of discussion, so it doesn't sink down to a bunch of players sitting there and chaotically talking about wind and weather for hours. We could use IRC for that, and the meeting for more constructive stuff

I am most certainly IN. A mix of discussion on potential character-connections and plots, in addition to general RP theory discussion would be welcome. Even where folks may not agree on style, it could provide us a welcome foundation to at least know how each approach things.

Speaking of style ... the green cloaks are so utterly horrifying... perhaps a break from tradition is needed. It could be the Hit-The-Floor-Jack meeting!
    President - Shattered Dreams- Rimor

I mean mostly in the style of the Greencloaks. What is meant is to create something new, using the idea of the Greencloaks as a jumping off point.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I'm up for this
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

I'd like a meeting like Greencloaks back as well. It's been brought up before but with as few players as we had then, we didn't really see the merit in it. With things picking up I'm all for it, although I would like to note that this would mark the 6th regular meeting we have planned now.

Quote Originally Posted by Falikos View Post
    Speaking of style ... the green cloaks are so utterly horrifying... perhaps a break from tradition is needed. It could be the Hit-The-Floor-Jack meeting!
    From what I recall, a long time ago green cloaks were chosen as OOC indicator, because they were so ugly no one would ever RP in them :P

Exactly Leil! Just a bit of humor.
    President - Shattered Dreams- Rimor

Awesome. Looks like I got the interest of a good number of people. Now, here's the hard part. I'm only available on certain days at certain times. To be Euro friendly (I'm GMT-5) I think it would just be easier if we scheduled something that is somewhere between our respective active times. My work schedule is my greatest limiting factor, and so far I've been really unsuccessful at getting it to change. So, having Monday's and Thursday off I'd like to pen something down within a week or so. This leaves: the 27th or the 30th of Oct, alternatively the 3rd or the 6th of Nov.

Let's pick something in the given time frames.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Dates are not as hard to wrap ourselves around as times. What are your available times, Tower?

Any of those days, I'm available at any given time.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Well err, the 27th was yesterday... So... the 30th?
    Bainzyy - Level 220/30 Shade
    PvP-ing - RP-ing - PvMing

We lost one of the days, but these are days I tend to get off of work consistently. So, the timeline can expand to pretty much any Mondays and Thursdays for the forseeable future. Ahndracorvid brought up the idea that we could split the meeting into two. One would be for people who couldn't make it past a certain time, and then another for those who can. Its all theoretical and on paper right now, I'm just looking for something resembling an availability for people who wish to show up. In the event that none step forward, I'm just going to pick something and that may not work for everyone. Feedback will be essential to how this may progress.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

As a reminder, tomorrow is one of the days I have off. Can anyone comment towards times they would like to see happen?
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Starting time before 21:00 GMT is good for me, which means 10 PM my time. Considering how these meetings often take a while, I'd personally like to see it done and over by midnight the latest. I reckon this also makes it problematic to keep a meeting on weekdays, since most Americans will be home from work anything from 11 PM to 2 AM central Euro time. But... there will never be a time when everyone can make it, so I also think it's better to just set a time and those who can join will.
    Last edited by Tussa; Nov 6th, 2014 at 18:28:57.

Either of the days you suggest are fine for me. Time wise, as long as it's not past 24:00 GMT, and there are no RL commitments, I should be able to attend a meeting.
    Fya "Hilfy" Hill - Clan MA, RMR Ltd Security Officer :: Council of Truth's liaison to the ICC
    “The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness.”

AO Roleplay: A New & Returning Player’s RP Info Sheet | All-in-One | IC Connections & Contacts

I'd prefer 19:00 - 20:00 ish GMT myself as a start time. Not sure I can attend much later than that, but I'll try should that be a better time.

Okay decisions is made. I didn't want this to take as long as it did, but with Winter (Its coming!) just around the corner the availability of some folks may drop off a bit. So, I am going to throw my lot at the 10th of November, at 20:00 GMT.
    This comes out to being 3pm EST my time. It will be held in the Glass Floor Room in Reets Retreat. Invite anyone who is or could possibly be into RP, and if you wish bring your creative thinking caps.

Purpose of this meeting:

1. Introductions, meets, and greets!
    2. Questions and Answers about RP.
    3. Possibility to have a meeting about the basics of RP.
    4. What is ARK Events, and What do they do? (Ark Events staff are encouraged to arrive and speak on their behalf if possible)
    5. What stories are on the table?
    6. Timeline discussion concerning future meetings.
    7. Closing Q and A if necessary.

All in all, I forsee this meeting maaaaaybe taking up to two hours at best. I will try to keep the timing of this meeting as best I can, being mostly impartial. I would like someone with the proper chat setup to log the meeting to post it here.
    Anyone even with a passive interest in RP is encouraged to join in. New players specifically welcome!

If a verdict cannot be reached on a regular time frame setup, what I propose is we try to get them in when we can. I will continue to try and organize little meetings in those cases, that would never take longer than they need to be to get information between players.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I'm very sorry to do this, especially after this has managed to wait as long as it has, but circumstances at work had forced me to postpone this meeting until Wednesday. The time however, remains unchanged. I really apologize for this inconvenience.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast