Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO "Classic Mode"

AO "Classic Mode"

To promote actual teaming, and helping new players.
    Instead of the twink/220 piggyback riding.
    This is playing AO on a much harder difficulty.
    When you play a toon in classic mode, you can

Restrictions

• NOT get items or credits from anyone through trading.
    • Only loot items from a mob you have killed solo. Can still loot credits from team-killed mobs.

• NOT recieve buffs from anyone higher lvl than yourself.
    • Only team with people lower lvl than yourself, but slightly higher concerning other "Classic" toon

• NOT do normal dailies, only elite dailies.
    • NOT have anyone in team use AOE damage attacks.
    • NOT multibox (IP address check)

Rewards

• Team xp aura boost
    • Can spawn special items/buffcans on lower lvl toons (not on same IP address as user), like stim/insurance agent/bullets/waypoints/convenience etc.
    • Special voting rights when reaching certain levels in certain professions.
    • "Classic only" social items and special effects.
    • etc. gimme some more ideas guys
    Garden keys can be bought from the key locked garden vendor in case you have deleted your key.

I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not...

Quote Originally Posted by orochi3 View Post

Restrictions

• NOT get items or credits from anyone through trading.
    • Only loot items from a mob you have killed solo. Can still loot credits from team-killed mobs.
    Promote teaming, but you can only loot from solo kills...kinda makes raids not gonna happen since no one could loot from beast.

• Only team with people lower lvl than yourself,
    Promotes teaming, but must find a people of your exact level you can't get buffs or team.

• NOT do normal dailies, only elite dailies.
    • NOT have anyone in team use AOE damage attacks.
    No normal dailies but all the reasons above make elite dailies irrelevant???

Unless I totally misunderstood might want to rethink this entire post.

/thread
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

• Only team with people lower lvl than yourself, but slightly higher concerning other "Classic" toon
    Err.
    So I can only team with someone below my level. Okay. So when I'm lvl 40 they must be below. I get that. But how can someone who's below my level team with me then, when they also can only team with someone whos lower than them?!

Edit: that "slightly higher" wasn't there when I quoted. (Didn't reread.) Still makes no sense. Only lower, but slightly higher?!
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

[*]etc. gimme some more ideas guys[/LIST]
    * Not getting items or credits from anyone through trading would also prevent selling stuff to NPCs.

* Only loot items from a mob you have killed solo prevents you from getting stuff from some team instances. Anybody want to solo The Beast for a BoC? Even killing Aztur in TOTW or the director in Foreman's dungeon is impossible for most professions. Don't forget you don't have access to most twink items because of your restrictions. You cannot use AI armor because you are not able to get the parts or tradeskill it yourself. There goes your shiny sword or teh famous CDR pistols.

* Not receiving buffs from higher toons BUT allowing teams with "slightly higher classic toons" is not possible (auras, team-buffs).

* Why not forbid any daily missions at all?

* Do AoE damage attacks also include reflect shields or snare auras or calms? You say you want to "promote actual teaming" but at the same time you forbid that people use their profession's capabilities.

A huge part of AO is to twink your toons. With your restrictions you remove this feature. Do you really want that?
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

I think you're making this too difficult OP.

We see what you're trying to say, but it's convoluted.

Why don't you just say:

"Play without using the other slots on your account."

I did this FYI - I levelled from 1-150 on Atlantean before the merge, and by the time I hit 150 I had about 120m, a fully geared 150 MA ready to farm S10.

I think all in I had probably about 100m worth of gear assets, and my intention was to buy a Dchest with the 120m but I was running to the shop it was in and as soon as I got there it was gone, I checked the shop search afterwards and the one I wanted to buy was relisted at 160m so I quit that and went back to RK2.

Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    * Not getting items or credits from anyone through trading would also prevent selling stuff to NPCs.

* Only loot items from a mob you have killed solo prevents you from getting stuff from some team instances. Anybody want to solo The Beast for a BoC? Even killing Aztur in TOTW or the director in Foreman's dungeon is impossible for most professions. Don't forget you don't have access to most twink items because of your restrictions. You cannot use AI armor because you are not able to get the parts or tradeskill it yourself. There goes your shiny sword or teh famous CDR pistols.

* Not receiving buffs from higher toons BUT allowing teams with "slightly higher classic toons" is not possible (auras, team-buffs).

* Why not forbid any daily missions at all?

* Do AoE damage attacks also include reflect shields or snare auras or calms? You say you want to "promote actual teaming" but at the same time you forbid that people use their profession's capabilities.

A huge part of AO is to twink your toons. With your restrictions you remove this feature. Do you really want that?
    Quote Originally Posted by alfora View Post
    * Tell what the current situation is.
    * Tell about the problem you would like to solve.
    * Publish a solution for the problem.
    * Make sure your solution doesn't break other stuff.
    * Defend your solution against the arguments of others.
    Just this.

Instead of the twink/220 piggyback riding.
    This is playing AO on a much harder difficulty.
    When you play a toon in classic mode, you can

Restrictions

.......[*]etc. gimme some more ideas guys[/LIST]
    This is not going to work unless they Create a whole different game to get people to do the same crap for the 10 time.

The only thing that will really work now is Having a new newbie island that goes up to lvl 60 . You can leave and go to rk but you cant some back, so the best you can twink is up to what lvl 60's can buff.
    You add up sl maps up to ely, and rk dungeons up to foreman and lower hecks.
    You make instances so they can actually raid stuff with reward or points that add up and they can use later, to buy Armour and weapons. Also a lower ai map, le missions.
    etc.

If fc wanted to make people team more, they would not make gearing up and and getting items at 220 4 times cheaper and easier than at lower lvls.
    We live in a beautiful world

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberleet View Post
    Just this.
    Note that I am not the OP.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

The most important thing is to reward players to NOT use outside tanks/NTs/buffs and team only with actual people to get thier xp/gear. Only then will FC ever consider banning multiboxing(not multilogging)

Thing is AO basically requires dual logging for things such as trading items/buffs to alt twinks, so blocking dual logging will never happen anyway.

So the only way to make it work is by some other means to prevent the piggybacking, maybe only being able to loot when all team members have had xp turned on, and any 220 buff on team or debuff on mob breaking apart the team.
    Garden keys can be bought from the key locked garden vendor in case you have deleted your key.

Or use a much simpler solution. Reduce teaming ranges at higher levels, make grey mobs run or not give xp and make non-twinking buffs level locked. Add decent loot to most mobs and change the looting system to reward teaming and discourage LR selling.
    Most of these solutions are already in the game. Proof that they can be implemented. The only thing I am not sure can be quickly implemented is teaming ranges. Grey mobs that run away, level locked buffs, team rewarding loot systems and mechanisms to reduce LR selling all are ingame and modifying or creating loot with different stats is done often enough.

The only thing missing is the will to fix the game. For many years now we have seen a complete disrespect for the gameplay in AO because the developers and presumably management have been firm believers in the theory that all games must die and old games are only good for milking a few bucks out of the last dedicated vets. So they are doing to AO what all the other developers have done with their failed games while happily ignoring the few games that have been successful for many years.
    All our suggestions are useless... don't waste your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpynoob View Post
    Or use a much simpler solution. Reduce teaming ranges at higher levels, make grey mobs run or not give xp and make non-twinking buffs level locked. Add decent loot to most mobs and change the looting system to reward teaming and discourage LR selling.
    Most of these solutions are already in the game. Proof that they can be implemented. The only thing I am not sure can be quickly implemented is teaming ranges. Grey mobs that run away, level locked buffs, team rewarding loot systems and mechanisms to reduce LR selling all are ingame and modifying or creating loot with different stats is done often enough.

The only thing missing is the will to fix the game. For many years now we have seen a complete disrespect for the gameplay in AO because the developers and presumably management have been firm believers in the theory that all games must die and old games are only good for milking a few bucks out of the last dedicated vets. So they are doing to AO what all the other developers have done with their failed games while happily ignoring the few games that have been successful for many years.
    All our suggestions are useless... don't waste your time.
    Reducing team ranges will not work untill they fix the game and get more people. I personally dont want to have to level an alt to a higher lvl just to be able to team with my 220. Finding teams are a pain.
    LR has to be there, many professions will never get invited to certain instances.

Quote Originally Posted by edmaster3 View Post
    Reducing team ranges will not work untill they fix the game and get more people. I personally dont want to have to level an alt to a higher lvl just to be able to team with my 220. Finding teams are a pain.
    LR has to be there, many professions will never get invited to certain instances.

Humans. So predictable it is depressing.

The existing team ranges are one of the main causes people don't team. Most veterans want solutions to the low population problem, just not the ones that are inconvenient to them. Same goes for the LR selling problem. I'm pretty sure that even the people who can quad log and do most endgame content by themselves would be more willing to team up with the "worthless" professions if they had the same chances of getting loot they want independent of team size and were unable to sell the loot.

But don't worry, we have plenty of evidence that the devs are willing to do anything to keep you p(l)aying.

the devs are willing to do anything to keep you p(l)aying.
    i love it how certain lines are so depressingly true that it becomes funny.

Humans. So predictable it is depressing.

The existing team ranges are one of the main causes people don't team. Most veterans want solutions to the low population problem, just not the ones that are inconvenient to them. Same goes for the LR selling problem. I'm pretty sure that even the people who can quad log and do most endgame content by themselves would be more willing to team up with the "worthless" professions if they had the same chances of getting loot they want independent of team size and were unable to sell the loot.

But don't worry, we have plenty of evidence that the devs are willing to do anything to keep you p(l)aying.
    Whoa, Whoa, relax yourself. I was just stating a fact, I have said this many times a lot of people who make suggestions on forums don't actually play the game currently.
    The fact is that there are not a lot of people playing AO. Making the lvl range smaller now will only make getting a team way harder than it already is. Making the level range smaller will not do anything to solve any of ao's problem.
    Not saying its bad, but will a population of probably 90% vets it will not bring in people. Not to mention a lot of people in ao dont invite outside their circle of friends or org.

The DEV's will have to make some hard decisions and upset a lot of people, if they want AO to grow.

thats right,

At some point Fc will have to motivate people to actually team up in a normal way, to help out new players.

That way vets get to keep there precious kiting/OSBing/powerlvling.

thats right,

At some point Fc will have to motivate people to actually team up in a normal way, to help out new players.

That way vets get to keep there precious kiting/OSBing/powerlvling.
    That is easier said than done, its never a good idea to force people to have to do anything. Many do team the normal way, you just dont know it because even teaming the normal way they still will not invite you to team anyway.
    AO's idea of forcing everyone to level fast to 220 is killing the game, cause it is a lot harder to get a team at 220 other than pulling inf missions. Especially if you aren't one of the good/ raid professions, you will never get invited to many instances.

Dear Eddy

You are always "forced" to do things. In fact you are not.

You are just trying to create a negative image of what is being suggested by using weasel words. I can use those too. By keeping the game the way it is now the developers are forcing all the new players into quitting. There is no "forcing" one way or another. There is a game with features that appeal to some people and not to others.
    Since AO is marketed as a MMORPG it is no surprise to me that it has such a low population since it is not. There is no multiplayer, the massive is long gone and for most people it is not even a game, just a chat channel for nostalgia's sake.

On the other hand I agree with the second part. Creating mechanisms that allow for people to rush toons to endgame without giving new players the tools to equip their toons as they go and keeping the existing loot system that promotes discrimination is not helping either.

Dear Eddy

You are always "forced" to do things. In fact you are not.

You are just trying to create a negative image of what is being suggested by using weasel words. I can use those too. By keeping the game the way it is now the developers are forcing all the new players into quitting. There is no "forcing" one way or another. There is a game with features that appeal to some people and not to others.
    Since AO is marketed as a MMORPG it is no surprise to me that it has such a low population since it is not. There is no multiplayer, the massive is long gone and for most people it is not even a game, just a chat channel for nostalgia's sake.

On the other hand I agree with the second part. Creating mechanisms that allow for people to rush toons to endgame without giving new players the tools to equip their toons as they go and keeping the existing loot system that promotes discrimination is not helping either.
    Motivate is the implied word for force. If i hate your guts i dont want to be motivated to team with you. Yes i know this is going overboard.
    But alot of people dont like teaming with new people to instances, cause usually they are under-geared, they dont know the instance or area, and they do usually make this harder. People mostly stay with their known groups of friends or org mates which they do normal team stuff with. Its just the outsiders who dont get teamed.

AO is cruel in the sense that you need to be geared to do stuff but, but you cant get geared until you do the stuff, and sometimes if you are geared your profession will never get a chance to do it.
    We live in a beautiful world

Quote Originally Posted by edmaster3 View Post
    But alot of people dont like teaming with new people to instances, cause usually they are under-geared, they dont know the instance or area, and they do usually make this harder.
    BINGO!!!

That's the exact reason all the vets SHOULD do random teams. I know we have all read posts and threads were people are saying "they want more challenge in AO" well by golly what is more challenging than taking 3-4 team mates that have never done the instance before and seeing how challenging it becomes lol.

I find ways to make AO challenging and fun like making 1 prof teams for raids. Some of the best were all MP teams and all Engi teams. If I could find enough other keepers I'd love to do an all keeper 12m, that would be epic. I have done all shade beast teams, and all soldier TNH. I learned more about taunt tools and juggling agro doing that soldier team than I can tell you.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Unfortunately that is not what most people mean when they say they want more challenges. What they mean is instances that only they can do because they have the best gear and exploits and sell loot rights.
    Because what else is there to do, for a veteran who did everything else before? Doing the same thing again and making enough "beer money" for the first 10 minutes on saturday's night out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast