Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open up SL perks to Froobs

Open up SL perks to Froobs

* Current Situation.

With the current twinking and buffing gear, most froobs can reach a near end-game stage of nano and equipment (save from level locked items) before reaching Title Level 5. At this point, there is little or no character progression or new content on RK to try.

* The problem I would like to solve.

This plateau of progressions means that froobs will often either park the higher level toon and roll an alt, repeating when this toon reaches a plateau, or gets bored and leave the game. In either case, this results in a limited number of people remaining engaged with the character long term. While there is a host of new content and progression available through subscribing, the majority of the content (including the perk system) is hidden from froobs so the opportunities it presents are not immediately apparent. Once people stop playing their higher level toons, and given the low population, new toons that reach these levels find it difficult to find people to team with and this adds to the lack of progression.

* Potential solution for the problem.

By allowing froobs to access the SL perks, the elements of the game which become more important for subscribers are opened up to, including perk actions and re-perking to twink. The perk window shows some of the things that would become available to the player if they subscribed and gives a closer match to expansion playstyle. By providing an additional perk every 10 levels, froobs that have reached the current plateau have an incentive to continue levelling as their progression is rewarded and new options open up.

I believe that a froob player is more likely to stay with the game and subscribe if they reach the end of the RK content (at or close to level 200) while still interested in the game, rather than when they if get to 130 and get bored.

* Make sure your solution doesn't break other stuff.

Froobs would still be limited to level 200, non-expansion equipment and RK playfields so the appeal of the expansion content remains.

Much of RK content has already been adjusted for the increase in power that SL introduced.

As a side effect, this solution would make the rebalance simpler, as there would be more commonality between expansion and froob players such that you could rebalance one with a reduced chance of breaking the other.

* Defend your solution against the arguments of others.

Does that sound reasonable?

On one hand I agree with you, by now the froob program is very "empty" considering what all other expansion content offers. On the other hand the froob program isn't something that players should stick to for long periods, it's supposed to provide a taste of the game before they make the decision to actually pay for it or leave. I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion, just something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    ...On the other hand the froob program isn't something that players should stick to for long periods, it's supposed to provide a taste of the game before they make the decision to actually pay for it or leave...
    I know this is the intent with a normal Free Trial, and may even have been the intention when the froob programme was initially introduced, however with access to the item shop for froobs and the continued extension of the froob programme it seems FC are using it more as a hybrid Free-2-Play system, and as such having froob players around for longer is of benefit both to FC and other players. (On a tangent: Does the 14(?) day SL trial still exist?)

Furthermore, due to the complexity (not to mention price) of this game compared to others on the market, I believe that new players will need more up front as a convincer (sp?) before they will invest in a subscription.

I sign this.

Considering: Three expansions have been released since Shadowlands; hence, SL content is pretty much "outdated" compared to other expansions.
    Considering: The "fr00b" program is a nice window for new players, but if Funcom plans to have a large amount of incoming players after the NPE comes out they MUST be prepared for such new players to go from lvl 1 to lvl 200 in no longer than two weeks, and seriously, would anyone expect to have a real taste for what Anarchy Online is (14 years in the making)? My best guess is: No, I've been playing since 2001 and damn sometimes I get lost.
    Considering: A LOT of old players have fr00b accounts just waiting for the NPE and engine (?), and if we're here you're damn right we're not going anywhere, so why not give us "sum sugga"?. Hehehe.

So, yeah. Open up SL.
    Protektor- Engydoggy- Spydoggy- RealMadrid - Some others.
    Rolling around RK since Dec 2001.
    ¡Se habla español!

Your suggestion stands on it's own, no argument from me there, however I think they should go even further. Either that or scrap the froob programme alltogether.

When it was first introduced it was pretty good. Anarchy was still new enough to be relevant and if you upgraded to expansions it was practically a new game. There was also much less competition from other free games, and just being free was enough to get noticed at the time. Now there are so many better options for free that I wouldn't recommend Anarchy to anyone.

A more modern model would be: All expansions and content is available for free. Subscription would grant +50% xp and rewards, convenience such as more inventory and banks slots, and access to the social tab (free players are forced to be ugly!). More money would come from the item shop with different cosmetics and further items for convenience such as recall beacons.
    Salomar [220/30]
    Rainbowz [200/23]
    Twopairs [150/20]
    SPARTA

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    On one hand I agree with you, by now the froob program is very "empty" considering what all other expansion content offers. On the other hand the froob program isn't something that players should stick to for long periods, it's supposed to provide a taste of the game before they make the decision to actually pay for it or leave. I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion, just something to consider.
    Foob was the most fun I had in AO. Its where people actually teamed, talked, did solo stuff to twink up and team stuff to get rare items. I stayed froob for 5 years straight no stopping, only got expansions to help paid org members.
    Even before I signed up for expansions, i heard nothing good about SL. You get perks, without the ability to do much yourself, etc. The reality was worst.

Ironically the froob program is what kept AO alive. Froobs farmed rk items, nanos, etc. They were around for buffs and HELPED A LOT OF NEW PERSONS. Gave them people to team with and learn with. We invited everyone to team regardless of profession

SL areas always seemed far apart and everyone seemed solely focused on leveling up fast. Random pickup teams were not very popular and the higher the area the less popular it became, profession discrimination was rampant. Some people changed after they got expansions.

After AO's war against froobs like you said many left, and many went paid, was not happy and still left.

Auct while i understand what you are trying to do the froob system is actually balanced the way it is now. While they do need to do something to benefit froobs, maybe perks starting from level 100 instead of level 1.
    Last edited by edmaster3; Nov 7th, 2014 at 00:23:03.

It would definitely be a reaaaaaaaaaaally neat experiment to release "Anarchy Online: fr00bie", with just basic AO and Notum Wars, for free, with the same graphics (or updated if you will) and perhaps the rebalance thing. I would FOSHO be fired within a month.
    Protektor- Engydoggy- Spydoggy- RealMadrid - Some others.
    Rolling around RK since Dec 2001.
    ¡Se habla español!

I can almost guarantee there is going to be a fundamental change in AO subscription model if/when it hits Steam. As inept as some parts of Funcom can seem to us at times (and I'm sure there is some sound reasoning somewhere in almost everything they do) I don't think anyone there really believes AO's subscriber base will actually see any sizable gain with the current model.

Predictions?

RK+NW+SL as f2p
    AI as a one-time addon via ingame shop
    LoX+LE as a one-time add-on via ingame shop
    More and more social items in the shop, with more P2W items at a slow trickle

I'm not particularly against the suggestion, but I think by the time they could actually get it done, it will be a non-issue.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by edmaster3 View Post
    SL areas always seemed far apart and everyone seemed solely focused on leveling up fast. Random pickup teams were not very popular and the higher the area the less popular it became, profession discrimination was rampant. Some people changed after they got expansions.
    The Shadowlands definitely feels like the kind of expansion where power creep was important to ensure it being relevant. RK is what makes the game unique, but it will never be balanced if they maintain the idea that SL must be "better" because it's the part you have to pay for. The segregation model for free and paying subscribers is also something modern free 2 play games have moved away from.

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    I can almost guarantee there is going to be a fundamental change in AO subscription model if/when it hits Steam. As inept as some parts of Funcom can seem to us at times (and I'm sure there is some sound reasoning somewhere in almost everything they do) I don't think anyone there really believes AO's subscriber base will actually see any sizable gain with the current model.

Predictions?
    I am sure they will change, your prediction sounds like something FC would do. I am not saying it's the right thing to do. Especially more pay to win, pay to level up, and so on are a plague that sounds like a great idea from the developers standpoint, but quickly dooms any game that pulls it.
    Salomar [220/30]
    Rainbowz [200/23]
    Twopairs [150/20]
    SPARTA

I definitely agree with you on this.

However I would propose a step further: Open up LE research for froobs also.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerengi View Post
    I definitely agree with you on this.

However I would propose a step further: Open up LE research for froobs also.
    I suppose why not just make the entire game free and wonder if FC will keep a zero profit game active that just takes developer resources from other paid products.

You want perks PAY for perks, you want research PAY for research. Otherwise you have all of RK to play with for free.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    I suppose why not just make the entire game free and wonder if FC will keep a zero profit game active that just takes developer resources from other paid products.

You want perks PAY for perks, you want research PAY for research. Otherwise you have all of RK to play with for free.
    I have froob toons: check
    I have an active paid account: also check

We're talking about small things here, that can give froobs a peak at what they can have more of (perks don't stop at level 200) if they upgrade.
    We're not talking to give those ridiculous overpowered items that come with SL/AI/LE, or change requirements of items that require an expansion.

SL, LE, either would work. Personally I would go with LE, becouse symbiants and hecks would ruin Froob charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Just to clarify my suggestion, I think the extension of just the SL perks (not the armour, symbs, weapons etc), would be sufficient. Froobs are already exposed to the items visually and by inspecting subscribing players. Likewise, the SL playfields should be reserved for subscribers, as this sort of content (new zones, mobs and visuals) is what I think many people actually want to pay for.

On one side I think it'd be a bad idea because FunCom needs the sub money.

But then I think how one-dimensional fr00b fighting is and how much difference the perks make.

/signed
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

I don't think it would be possible to open up perks with out opening up all of SL. It's not just adding perks to froobs, it is setting the SL flag to allow perks, which in turn sets the SL flag for armor, weapons, shadowland zones, shadowbreeds and SK (201-220). I do not think you can separate one from the other. Same with AI flag allowing axp, ai perks, equipment, zones etc. LE flag for research and ofab.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Or it could be as simple as removing the requires SL tag from perks. I don't know and I doubt any player would. The difficulty of implementation is something for FC to consider IF they think the idea has merit.

I want to make sure that I understand your proposal. Do you advocate giving froobs just the perk actions, or do you advocate giving froobs peks, with their associated stats buffs?

If the former, I can get behind it. If the latter, then I don't see how it addresses the plateau problem mentioend in the OP; perk stat buffs would just make toons plateau earlier.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    SL, LE, either would work. Personally I would go with LE, becouse symbiants and hecks would ruin Froob charm.
    Even AI would work. The Aliens are already on RK.

Froobs would get AI perks and access to AI items but the level limit would still be 200.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    I want to make sure that I understand your proposal. Do you advocate giving froobs just the perk actions, or do you advocate giving froobs peks, with their associated stats buffs?

If the former, I can get behind it. If the latter, then I don't see how it addresses the plateau problem mentioend in the OP; perk stat buffs would just make toons plateau earlier.
    Thanks for the comment Gorathon, my propsal includes both the perk actions and perk buffs.

While I'm aware that this may allow some nanos and items that are at the current limit of froob characters to be equipped and used earlier, I don't believe this is the root of the issue I tried to describe in the OP (although looking back possibly not clearly enough!). To a certain extent, this gear plateau should exist for froobs as it serves to differentiate between free players and subscribers.

What the addition of the perks will allow is the continued feeling of character progression (as opposed to gear progression) through the beed and title capped level ranges where people become bored by the lack of any feeling of change despite gaining levels. The addition of a new perk every 10 levels gives a feeling of progress (which is what I think a lot of people want from an MMORPG) where otherwise you are presented with breed and title capped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast