Thread: Spawn more quest mobs or change the quests

Spawn more quest mobs or change the quests

Everytime I level a character I feel the same frustration when I have to do the Anansi and Inferno Tours quest lines.

If I have to kill 5 Weakened Chimeras and 5 Chimera Crushers why do you set it up so that only 2 spawn at a time? That means you have to wait for 3 pops in order to complete your quest. The same applies to the Anansi quest where you have to kill 5 Anansi Speakers and 5 Anansi Orators but only 3 pop at a time.

I only see 3 reasonable solutions to this concern:

1. Increase the spawn time such that they repop after 5 min. The complication with this idea is that there are other mobs you have to kill in the same area and it would make the quests a nightmare if you don't have a CC profession with you.

2. Increase the number of mobs that spawn at one time. This might work well for the Anansi quest as you can put some floaters around outside of the little ruins area. I think you'd run into problems adding more chimeras in the area around the static dungeon as there are already quite a few mobs located in that area.

3. Reduce the number of mobs that you have to kill to the number of mobs that pop at any given time.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Yeah, that is always really annoying, and not hard to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    3. Reduce the number of mobs that you have to kill to the number of mobs that pop at any given time.
    This one depends on only one person doing the quest at a time. Though I guess these days that might not be an issue most of the time.

Total agreement with the main thrust here. Waiting for spawns is not work, not a challenge, not an accomplishment. It is an ancient method of timesink and AO has vastly moved away from it over the years, to its benefit. The main exception now being the dreadloch camps, I was so angry when they introduced those because they had finally gotten so much right on this front.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

This has been an issue for me several times through out the years both solo and in a group of people.

/sign.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Everytime I level a character I feel the same frustration when I have to do the Anansi and Inferno Tours quest lines.

If I have to kill 5 Weakened Chimeras and 5 Chimera Crushers why do you set it up so that only 2 spawn at a time? That means you have to wait for 3 pops in order to complete your quest. The same applies to the Anansi quest where you have to kill 5 Anansi Speakers and 5 Anansi Orators but only 3 pop at a time.

I only see 3 reasonable solutions to this concern:

1. Increase the spawn time such that they repop after 5 min. The complication with this idea is that there are other mobs you have to kill in the same area and it would make the quests a nightmare if you don't have a CC profession with you.

2. Increase the number of mobs that spawn at one time. This might work well for the Anansi quest as you can put some floaters around outside of the little ruins area. I think you'd run into problems adding more chimeras in the area around the static dungeon as there are already quite a few mobs located in that area.

Another great QoL suggestion Jill

Bump for this.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

A lot of the outdoor questlines in SL should be changed to partially instanced designs. No modern title would handle it the way AO does, for the exact reasons stated in the OP. Speeding up spawn times would remedy the immediate problem for some people, but would not fix the fundamental flaw in the execution of the quests.

So agreed in spirit - the quests need to be able to be completed in a timely and fun manner, but changing the spawn mechanics is not the best way to do it.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-