Thread: What about STEAM?

What about STEAM?

Sorry maybe this question isn't new at all, but was lazy to read all Threads , so i opened a new one.
    I would like to know if FC is still working about Steam integration.
    It's supposed to be within the new engine?
    We need new people. And Steam is the right place.

Steam required new engine and new engine will come soon(TM)
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

Quote Originally Posted by Difs View Post
    Steam required new engine and new engine will come soon(TM)
    Technically this isn't 100% accurate. It requires the new engine (or dx9) to get the Steam overlay working. AO could have been released on Steam at the end of 2003 well over 10 years ago.

To the OP. I'm guessing here but I believe during the management of Means the overall plan was to come out with a big bang; new engine, rebalance, Steam, etc. They worked on the Steam release up until they got stuck with the dx7 and overlay issue.

If they just would have left out the Steam overlay and maybe released it on Steam about 4-5 years ago with a better cash shop and possibly froob focused, this game would have more cash flow to hire people that then other projects such as TSW could "borrow".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

I think FC need a lot of work to put AO on steam so we expect it to be on steam at 2020

The current game will fail to launch from steam if you add it to steam as non-steam game, this is the wrapper issue.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Just curious, im pretty sure steam dont allow 2 clients? This would be a huge problem, as most active have 2 or more accounts.
    Proud member of Vox Populi since 2005

Phatz!!

On the one hand, Steam with extra AO goodness can't happen soon enough IMO. We'll retain a few hundred new players after the dust settles from the stampede. OTOH, if I can avoid using Steam at all I do so...especially in MMOs. It's one more thing that can get in the way.

Then fun part is that it's already there, they just don't have store page...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

The current client launcher processes don't play well with Steam, so that part would need tweaking.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

If Steam would prevent two sessions to run simultaneously, I would suggest to have a location with Safes you can purchase and this Safe could be accessed by multiple characters based on the security code, or whatever other security tool. I'm using dual log mostly for swapping items, this would fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    The current client launcher processes don't play well with Steam, so that part would need tweaking.
    new client is live now so what is stopping them ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lordaegis View Post
    new client is live now so what is stopping them ?
    The new client is technically still in beta and has reasons to be, as it does still suffer some graphics crashes.
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

That client crashes every time I open up Adobe Photoshop, 1/4 times I zone into Wine and a minimum of a crash / hour. As a bonus, it has a % chance of corrupting graphically once in a while, freezing after being alt tabbed.

Either it is refactored from the ground up, or they rebase the engine for it on something newer, both options being out of hand for the handful of people still working on it.

I would love to see assets being open sourced one day, the small community is eager to help it seems.
    Anarchy Online Concept Art Gallery
    Lazy "Timba" Sabretooth - 220/30/80 - Fire kitty
    Very "Timbats" Much - 220/22/xx - Tradeskiller for hire!
    Timbamf - xx/xx/xx - upcoming tanky
    Spray "Airwick" Alloveryou - 60/6/14

I had similar crashing problems with the new engine, not using Steam though. I found they got much better today after patching to 18.8.15 and upgrading to the latest Nvidia drivers. Not sure which fixed it but I was successfully triple logging toons most of the afternoon (bank sorting ... that's why I play AO).
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>