Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Engine Release should come with new blank slate server

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Well sorry, I didn't fraps that for you, but it does actually happen. Not often I grant you.
    I'll believe it when I see it
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

A new server would be a great idea. I'm an old time player that would like to start the game fresh. These vets don't make any sense why they want nothing to change.

Isn't keeping it the same what we're trying to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Khyros View Post
    A new server would be a great idea. I'm an old time player that would like to start the game fresh. These vets don't make any sense why they want nothing to change.

Isn't keeping it the same what we're trying to avoid?
    I want the game to change, I don't want my capital to do the same.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

When Beta was active, it was glorious. The Fresh Start was superb. Players helping players, giving away items that others had more use of. A real frontier feeling to the server. True server firsts & the time we finally had enough non-gimps to take Tara down - I'm not going to forget that in a hurry.

Fwiw, this I feel is what many of the people are after when they ask for a new fresh server & I can entirely understand why.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by AlmightyZeus View Post
    It will rob the old one... yeah and so what? Are you concerned what's best for the games longevity or for you personally?

I think there will be plenty of room for both servers, but yes, a new server will get the lions share of people and we both know why. That fact just reinforces my argument for it.
    Is that a trick question? Whats best for the current long time players, not a bunch of potentially fickle new players. People will always choose the easier option. A year after a new server is launched new players would probably rather join a 3rd brand new server so they don't have to compete with you and all your accumulated items and wealth. Just because new players want something easier doesn't mean that it is a good idea, that was a horrible argument.

If you don't have anything to show for all your time in this game thats too bad but you don't dismiss all your old supporting players and the time they spent in game (and act like its a bad thing, what the heck is up with that?) just because new people would rather they diddnt exist in their world. It is something that will always exist, new players would always rather they were the first, just like you now. You don't throw away your long time supporters for that.

But you just want a new server at any price so really its a wasted argument. You acted like you thought you didn't think it would impact the existing server at all but its clear that you would throw the old server in the dumpster to get a new one where you can use your existing game knowledge to land yourself on top. And don't kid yourself, there is no room up there for new players, not for a long time, long time. This is one of the most complex games out there, you really think a bunch of new players exploring and equipping blank implants from the shops are going to have a shot competing with rerolled vets and multiboxers?
    Last edited by Krause; Feb 19th, 2015 at 01:55:02.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

As I stated before, this could happen, but allows for opportunity for new players to get involved. There is enough information out on the web that new players could orient themselves to getting what they need or how to go about raiding and do land control.

It's a matter of some chance vs no chance. As it stands now, they would have to hope someone gets bored and leaves.
    Would happen no doubt about it; new players would simply be ignored and left behind, the information is out there, but understanding it all like a vet? no chance.

What are you basing this month from? If that's how long it takes now, consider that you won't have any 220s to run you through stuff like you do now, no market filled with 300 ql things you need, no mochs a plenty or twinked out traders.

I submit it will take a bit longer than that.
    No I was basing it taking at least four times longer than the 5 days as it does now. I've seen people hit 160 and get to inf in less than two days.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Would happen no doubt about it; new players would simply be ignored and left behind, the information is out there, but understanding it all like a vet? no chance.
    Hadn't even thought about that yet, but you're right of course. Imagine a bunch of veterans trying to get their stuff back etc, they wouldn't take the time to educate any new player on anything. While currently on Live it happens all the time (at least I do it, and people I know), because we have the time for it.
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    Hadn't even thought about that yet, but you're right of course. Imagine a bunch of veterans trying to get their stuff back etc, they wouldn't take the time to educate any new player on anything. While currently on Live it happens all the time (at least I do it, and people I know), because we have the time for it.
    My experience of actually being on a fresh server tells me otherwise. Players (read Vets) were EXTREMELY helpful indeed. Moreso than even I expected. I think most of you in this thread are talking out of your ass, but there we go.

Next time (if there is a next time ofc), try being on the servers as they start fresh before posting opinions on things, it gives a refreshing insight into things.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

@Aiken: There's got to be a difference between a live server where you're actually competing for a persistent economy and power status vs. a Beta server where you can have your character wiped tomorrow and all you farmed loses meaning..
    I get your point, I just don't see it happening on a new server, especially not over a large length of time. The economy was already pretty bad pre-merge, which means we had several shots at "doing it right" and failed.
    One more shot might do it.. or not.

Note: I've been on fresh servers in this and on other games. There was always a more peaceful and sharing economy on Beta/Test servers that are going to get wiped at some point.
    Last edited by DigitalBath; Feb 19th, 2015 at 10:42:01.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post
    @Aiken: There's got to be a difference between a live server where you're actually competing for a persistent economy and power status vs. a Beta server where you can have your character wiped tomorrow and all you farmed loses meaning..
    This is all.
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Is that a trick question? Whats best for the current long time players, not a bunch of potentially fickle new players. People will always choose the easier option. A year after a new server is launched new players would probably rather join a 3rd brand new server so they don't have to compete with you and all your accumulated items and wealth. Just because new players want something easier doesn't mean that it is a good idea, that was a horrible argument.
    You sure are using a lot of absolutes here. "Always"? No, not always. I'm not a content rusher and neither are a lot of people. Some people are, and some people are not.

It's not just about the accumulation of wealth. It's about a lot of things. There are certainly going to be downsides to opening a new server and starting fresh and some of us that remember go live know that. Bottle neck quests, like alvins pads will be an issue for sure, and some of the sore spots like GTA, Dark Mem, etc still are.

But one thing I can say for certain. No one, not a single new person or veteran, has experienced a start from zero with all the add ons in place. Such an event would be historical for the game.

It's also important to note that this isn't some arbitrary "I want a new server" post, it's about the new engine, new game content, new starting area, and some rather extreme changes to the core game itself.

People are going to roll new toons regardless and these issues are going to occur new server or not, however, it's much harder to get players than to keep them. Are you going to quit the game if they open a new second server?

What's your primary issue with having one? Not enough people to show your ingame bling to?

If you don't have anything to show for all your time in this game thats too bad but you don't dismiss all your old supporting players and the time they spent in game (and act like its a bad thing, what the heck is up with that?) just because new people would rather they diddnt exist in their world. It is something that will always exist, new players would always rather they were the first, just like you now. You don't throw away your long time supporters for that.
    I don't know about you, but I play this game for fun, not for having anything to show. And there are a few old supporting players in this thread right now, supporting the idea of a new server, so your absolute use of the term "all" is incorrect.

I like the idea of leveling through the content (Now there is a concept), and not flash leveling by Hecklers. I'd rather they bump up the xp for completing quests and get rid of hecklers, but that's another flame war.

Lastly, you haven't established that they will drastically affect their long time supporters. I have three paid accounts, I play this game with my young kids, 7 & 8, and started in 2001.

But you just want a new server at any price so really its a wasted argument. You acted like you thought you didn't think it would impact the existing server at all but its clear that you would throw the old server in the dumpster to get a new one where you can use your existing game knowledge to land yourself on top. And don't kid yourself, there is no room up there for new players, not for a long time, long time. This is one of the most complex games out there, you really think a bunch of new players exploring and equipping blank implants from the shops are going to have a shot competing with rerolled vets and multiboxers?
    This is a straw man argument. They never said any price, you've simply been asserting that there will be one while agreeing with him that new players will want a fresh start server. You don't like the idea, I get it, but you're unconvincing that it would be detrimental to anyone. Besides, odds are, due to the surge they may have to do that anyway, then what?

I've been gaming a very long time. Like data tape and 5 1/4" floppy long.

In all that time, I've been in some huge beta and go lives. AO, Shadowbane, StarWars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, EVE, et al. In big, highly anticipated games, closed beta and open beta players still took the time to help the new incoming people.

Sure, you will get some people that want to race back to the end game, but that is certainly by no means, everyone as you are trying to allude and historically, I've found the opposite to be true.

We need fresh blood, can we agree on that? Are you going to play with them on your 220 or roll a new toon and guide them along?
    Last edited by Khyros; Feb 19th, 2015 at 20:16:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Khyros View Post
    In all that time, I've been in some huge beta and go lives. AO, Shadowbane, StarWars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, EVE, et al. In big, highly anticipated games, closed beta and open beta players still took the time to help the new incoming people.
    Hey, I played shadowbane in beta. I was in the rollin 30s (We were the reason they took bed rolls out of the game

I'm not sure what to make of these guys. Seems they don't really care about new players, just more people to show, as you put it, "their bling" to.
    Lords of Silence : AO Division Leader

www.clanlos.net

Well until they get someone working on the engine once more, it's not getting any closer to release... And with the recent round of lay offs there's even fewer people attached to FC's 'live team'. The engine was supposed to be picked up by the coders of the live team. I'd be amazed if any AO engine time is pencilled in on their calendars for 2015.

But I'll leave people to speculative arguments because it's something to do

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

If the new engine (and a Steam release?) can drum up enough of a surge in players that AO starts to threaten a resurgence of some sort, I wholeheartedly approve of this idea.

Normally I'm against or not interested in "clean slate" servers other MMOs introduce. Most often they're fueled purely by people with blind nostalgia and no recognition of all the features that have improved quality-of-life over the years. With AO, however, I see something of the opposite. There are so many people sitting on billions of credits, an army of froobs, and a dozen or more fully-geared 220s, it's rather gross to be honest. A lot of the content in the game seems to assume that you're dual-logging a 220 as well, and by extension the playerbase also assumes that more often than not. Not having every single "desirable" profession at 220 and geared up is often met with surprise, too often if you ask me. One of the biggest reasons I think this would be a good idea is that they're working on introducing a lot of new credit sinks. This is a good move, but it could easily still take years to overcome the ridiculous banks people have built up, if it ever does, since those very people are the most self-sufficient and thus the least affected by such sinks. A new server would let those sinks as well as the lack of faucets come into play to the full strength immediately, which I think would make the community as a whole more vibrant and interactive, since the default approach to any situation wouldn't be "farm stuff to sell for credits, then buy lootrights". Basically I see it as less of a clean slate for any given player or the community as a whole, and more of a clean slate for Funcom, an opportunity for them to shed the mistakes they've made in the past and establish tighter, more consistent control over the economy and playerbase.

In addition, I'm not seeing any reason NOT to do this. The population is too low to be split, sure. This whole scenario hinges on the hypothetical of the new engine bringing with it new players, this argument is a moot point. As far as the population being split despite a surge in popularity, I think this would have a much smaller impact than some of you believe. The chat bots would very quickly be updated (if the functionality isn't already there) to handle cross-server chat. Orgs and likely even public chat channels would establish cross-server communications, and raids and events would get people to relog to join in. Most of the time it would be like nothing happened. The first 220s could establish a monopoly on the new server, but again the impact of this is vastly overestimated. If a group of people rushed to 220 and tried to impose their will on the public, do you know what would happen? In a couple weeks another group of people would get to 220 without the help of the first group, and usurp their reign. You can't hold a monopoly if you can't, well, hold a monopoly. It's not like you can PvP people out of doing dailies, inf missions, raids and the like.

Honestly, this is probably going to come across as an insult, sorry, but the resistance I'm seeing really feels like a knee-jerk reaction caused by being afraid of losing the mountains of loot and credits built up over years. Introducing a new server doesn't threaten this directly, but the fear would be that people would LIKE the new server, and play their 99% of the time, until the old server was more or less forgotten. And this is honestly a pretty real possibility. I think rather than trying to deny this ever happening, however, it would be more important to analyze why this might happen, and why you might fear it. Why would people NOT want to play with you and your mountain of phatz? Sure you could just claim that it's everyone else that's the problem, but honestly, if enough people feel that way that there'd be a real risk of the server becoming disused, is it the fault of the vast majority that don't want to play on the old server, or the few that do? I may not personally be as well-established as some of the old guard, but I'd still consider myself among this group to be fair. Far more than I like I find myself being dismissive, telling people to farm stuff on their own, ignoring or refusing to help people who can't help themselves, and brushing off raids that don't carry any immediate personal benefit. I think this is a goes-around-comes-around kind of cycle, and I think a "clean slate" could help break it and build a friendlier, more interactive community. And if we're talking bottom line, this sort of move would stand to vastly increase player retention, and thus the success of a new engine release and further development.

I recently saw posts about some exploit to do with the GMI and items being duplicated a couple of years ago. If that's true then it does make sense that the economy is so screwed with exploiters sitting on trillions of credits and pushing up the prices of rare items only they can afford with no desire to get value for money.

A clean slate server (assuming those kind of bugs are fixed) to go with the steam release would be glorious. I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Player1 View Post
    I recently saw posts about some exploit to do with the GMI and items being duplicated a couple of years ago. If that's true then it does make sense that the economy is so screwed with exploiters sitting on trillions of credits and pushing up the prices of rare items only they can afford with no desire to get value for money.

A clean slate server (assuming those kind of bugs are fixed) to go with the steam release would be glorious. I'm in!
    The thing is, despite all the exploited creds, the price on rare items is currently on a downward trend.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    The thing is, despite all the exploited creds, the price on rare items is currently on a downward trend.
    I wonder if there is some dublications going on. The amount of ELLTS and RBPs might be attributed to collector. Amount of Pioneers poping up is an other su****ious part. CC and CSS might be back to normal in regular cycle of active players. It's hard to say what is going on really...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

i would leave the old server perma for the new server. i easy sacrifice my 12-13 years in ao to start on a new one.

Sexy. I remember starting to play Rk2 when my RK1 account was full.
    It was legendary, to start fresh, with only meta-knowledge in tow. but after initial 100 levels it was... al da same. You settle, you do same ol things same ol fun way. Getting extra account slots being the only benefit.

Would I play new server? Probably not, unless most of my friends would go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Player1 View Post

Yes, I heard about that too. Some GMI exploit that led to a lot of credits in the game. Most forget about ingots too.

Heckler ingots are another reason there is such a huge amount of cash in the inventory.

I suspect that if dupes and exploits are fixed it would take a long while before the economy on a new server even comes close to this one.

You also have to consider that this is a merging of three economies. Rk1, Rk2, and German server.
    Lords of Silence : AO Division Leader

www.clanlos.net

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast