Thread: Audio Design feedback thread.

Audio Design feedback thread.

Hello everyone,

I'm an ancient-times player who has returned. I also happen to be a pro Audio Designer. (mostly film/video, but games too) Goshdarnit, I still love AO, in all it's crazy ways.

I remember back in the day, wondering why on earth the mausser particle streamer sounded the same as the startup solar pistol. How 45% of guns use the "ranged energy" noise... how 90% of nukes which are described as being COMPLETELY different things, sound the same. (i.e. a "ferocious impactor missle" has the same sound as a "chemical liquefaction"??) so what I'm saying is that even in 1999 the sounds were pretty limited in number.

Is there some kind of horrible DB hard-limitation to the # of sounds usable in the game?

If not, I am willing, able, (and even would be excited) to CONTRIBUTE SFX FOR MAKING ALL WEAPONS SOUND UNIQUE!!.

So I'm curious of all players:

1: do you LOVE the weapon sounds and plzgod don't change them?

2: which ones are awesome and contribute to your sense of immersion.

3: should I do this?

4: CAN i do this?

5: if yes, who can provide me with the technical details? (this game was developed LONG BEFORE Wwise and audio middle-ware tools really got going)

please leave OFF all discussion of the changes, balance etc etc that happened in the last 10 years. Stick to audio related comments.

p.s. forget monsters & other sfx for now. Weapon sounds first.
    Last edited by Epicenter; Mar 12th, 2015 at 09:49:34. Reason: too presumptious
    "'Techs are your friend! Everyone uses Nano!" - Zaenix
    "Wushu Ninjagirl, smackin mobs like beef slappin on wet pavement" - Rosmarin
    "Never trust a hive-mind" - Sittinpretty (ex-OT mind control subject)

I think the best chance you have at getting any info on how you could get involved with this would be to send a PM to Michizure. We have had other community inclusions like Docaholics icons so I personally don't see why this would be outside the realms of possibility.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Oh. Hell. Yes.

FC creates fantastically atmospheric soundscapes. Those are perfect. The actual SFX though... erm, well yes. *cough*
    I'm not sure how far you'd get in terms of getting your stuff actually in game. But hey if Docaholic was able to (eventually with much effort) get his new icons into the game then perhaps you might be able to do the same

My request would be to increase the variety of melee sounds. Change the pitch etc so that there is a mixture of sounds and one is randomly played with each swipe. Can even just be based on one new sound that's been mucked about with. It'd be nice to have 2he sound more solid and chunky than 1he, and 2hb vs having a similar change in feel. I have no idea about the technical limitations, and whether it would be a db flood or combat lag generator (I suspect not really, to be honest) but even just one completely new 2he sound that comes in 3-4 different varieties would be a start. And the same for 2hb, 1he, 1hb etc. Piercing would suit a more thrust/stab sound. Thrown might be tricky without it turning into a comic anime shuriken effect.

I assume you'd be creating the sounds from scratch..?

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Personally, I love the sounds of the weapons. The zap zaps, pew pews, and BUDDABUDDABUDDAs all just make me happy. In fact I suspect the sounds of the guns is actually one of the reasons I tend to prefer ranged weapons over melee. That said, there are far too few of them to go around! The same can be said of particle effects, especially when you start talking about NT nukes which mostly have the same exact look, often not even changing color.

Anyway, this kind of project is an awesome undertaking in my book, I'd love nothing more than to see all the weapons get unique and well-designed sounds! Adding sounds to the melee weapons would be fantastic as well! The only thing I don't like is that some of the (few) melee weapons that have sounds now use a "knife sharpening" sound (such as the ofab 1he swords) which sounds like metal scraping metal and has a ton of high frequencies. That sound is intensely annoying and I really don't want to hear more weapons like that. Other weapons like the Bhan'Zor Hammer are amazing though!

Anyway, I really hope you get a response from FC and I hope something comes of this! Best of luck!

Yes, there was a database limitation- think it was 2gb for everything. (que famous quote: "We'll never need more than 640K ram.") FC put in new db software 3 or 4 years ago to get ready for new engine etc. so there's no longer that limitation.

The mostly anemic ranged weapon effects are one of my biggest gripes. Two wimpy standouts: OFAB assault rifle sounds like a toy gun & the Neutrino Flash has no sound at all.

Two that I like: UMP22 & the Inamorata AR. The latter is too soft though; it's fine for some sort of semi-silenced SMG but doesn't say ASSAULT Rifle to me..

Someone commented elsewhere that you could assign new sounds. (I'm still w/o access 'cept for my phone... & typing is fripping excruciating. Can't effectively search anything.) Looked into it but RK4 got in the way.

Free mmo Planetside 2 has the most effective & impressive sound scheme of any online game I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by Literary View Post
    Free mmo Planetside 2 has the most effective & impressive sound scheme of any online game I've played.
    The Lasher is my baby.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Please keep the Vektor ND sound like it is and make it unique to Vektor ND and vektor ND DRAGON + vektor ND grand wyrm

And yeah bump for more different sounds of course.

Yea the Vektor was definitely one of my favorite "this sounds like how it operates" gun sounds
    "'Techs are your friend! Everyone uses Nano!" - Zaenix
    "Wushu Ninjagirl, smackin mobs like beef slappin on wet pavement" - Rosmarin
    "Never trust a hive-mind" - Sittinpretty (ex-OT mind control subject)