Thread: Add back Omni-Clan diferences

Lightbulb Add back Omni-Clan diferences

Historicly (from almost begining), there have been diference betwen clans and omni.
    Clans were for more xp, Omni for better stuff. There were many stuff (especialy buffing ones and so) with were exclusivly for omnis.
    I guess Clan whining and so did make that almost everything has clan/hacked version curently. So that it doesnt matter what you chose. With feels wrong. There must be diferences in gear, maybe even buffs/nanos. They both are big factions.
    (As a humor note, it all migh have been hapening because ARK and GM are Clan :P)

(Sorry about my english, not my native, so might be few mistakes in my grammar)

No.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

No x2. If you do that then mechanically one side will end up being the 'best' and that would be at odds with the choice aspect. They should be different in feel and flavour, and come out the same in terms of stat outcomes. We already had the days of 'Omni-only buffing item X' and 'Clan-only uber weapon Y' and those are best left behind.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quit being pus...wimps. Omni and clan both the same everything but different name is boring. This anarchy online not carebear online. And another thing, why clan so weak? Ita been hundreds of years or we and rome still stands. Clan too stupid to make bombs or what? Omni too lazy to put tir underground? /rp

A character's effectiveness and the possibility of certain twinks or builds should not be determined by a seemingly innocuous choice they make at the very beginning of the game when they know nothing about it.

This would be fine if there weren't extremely long lockouts (even a cash-only lockout if you want to go neutral!) on side changes, but I'm sure there are a lot of people invested in PvP who would hate to see that happen and want side changes to be more rare, not more common.

Without allowing people to easily change sides, at least as easily as they can reset IP and/or perks, then this sort of design really makes no sense at all. If you want Clan and Omni to be "different", it can be achieved very well through story, setting, gear looks, general gameplay, player culture, and so on. Differences already exist in most of these things. The various missions are perhaps too convergent, particularly in post-SL settings where the conflict took a noticeable backseat to the struggles with aliens, the dustbrigade, and other more global threats.

Your join date is 2009, so I'm just going to make the assumption that's when you started playing. There have been a few notable differences in sided items in the past.

The most egregious examples being the Solitus Omni Shadowbreed, and the Fredrickson Micro-kinetic Sleeves. When tower wars were zerg fests (I have no idea how they are now, but judging by side XP they aren't really happening), the Solitus SB gave an AOE root as well as giving everyone in the area a 1k damage shield. Tower wars were slideshows back then, so the offensive shadowbreeds (omni) had the distinct advantage. You could wipe out an entire clan raid with just a few of these things. It has lost it's potency as the population dwindled.. but an 80 on 80 fight gave this an insane advantage.

The sleeves are pretty obvious.. before there was a million stat buffing items available (Xan) it made it so Omni had a much, much, much easier (and it some cases incomparable) time equipping certain items.

How about the less extreme of the examples and something a little less game breaking such as biodome armor and the omni only RK armor vs the clans non-existing faction armor. Not game breaking but gives you a difference, nothing to choose sides over though. Smaller differences like that I would welcome more of. SB and twinking items should be left equal in both factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeran View Post
    How about the less extreme of the examples and something a little less game breaking such as biodome armor and the omni only RK armor vs the clans non-existing faction armor. Not game breaking but gives you a difference, nothing to choose sides over though. Smaller differences like that I would welcome more of. SB and twinking items should be left equal in both factions.
    Personally I see this as a good example of why we should not have so many differences. Jathos is one of the premiere defensive sets in the game. Kegern is, well, it's much more niche to put it nicely. I know a lot of omnis are very annoyed that they can't get Jathos, and a few clans are frustrated because Kegern's would be really nice for their specific build.

The question I have to ask is: in restricting access to these sets, what is gained? It's certainly not variety, because you'll see fewer different options overall, and each side only ever runs "their" biodomes. If it's differences between the sides just for the sake of differences, why do they have to be expressed through stat differences, especially given the inevitable balance issues and persistent annoyances that arise?

newbie occ : what is the best side ?
    newbie occ : NEUTRAL !!!
    newbie occ : Omni pwnz joO
    newbie occ : lol neutral is no faction, go omni
    newbie occ : looking fo SFA BEHE FG ES GSF WTF
    newbie occ : Obama suxx lol
    newbie occ : don't go clam, clam are romanian beggars
    newbie occ : wer his enter totW ?
    newbie occ : this game suxx lol
    newbie occ : lol at clan they get nothing omni >> all
    newbie occ : selling (rollablecrap), 500M
    newbie occ : oh shut up Akaslave
    newbie occ : hmm ok, but why is clan have 20% xp and omni 3% ?
    newbie occ : WTB any CC armor QL300, paying 25M
    newbie occ : won't you DIE Harkdastle ???!!!!
    newbie occ : lf SFA my buffs disapeared :/
    newbie occ : where is maddie ?

are you sure you want to use this item ?

clan occ : hi everybody
    GMs/ARKs/GSPs : HI !!!

I'd like the game to come back to the story, see mass pvp again, but the alien/xan menace, leak of population, stupid NW rules and ability to switch factions and get tokens back in a second ruined it.

Now, would I like fred sleeves to remain omni and the kind, I don't give a damn, it seems people here obviously won't accept any effort for being clan, surely because 3/4 of them were omni before and only play to compensate something or to keep their grasp on the community.
    Last edited by appolonia; May 20th, 2015 at 14:42:44.
    220/70/30 OpiFix - Useless PVM Ex RK Queen
    220/80/30 TroxDoc - Alpha Brain @soon !
    220/80/30 SoliEngi - TSing everything
    220/70/30 SoliTrader - MA >>>> Shottie
    220/80/30 Crat - Why the hell do other profs still exist ?

And tons of alts !

I'd like to point out that the real source of your example there is the fact that Neutral is objectively the best faction for a new player. Not because the factions lack differences or reasons to join them, but because of the lack of neutral applications. You can swap Clan to Omni or Omni to Clan, but if you pick a side on newbie island you're locked out of Neutral forever, barring the use of an agent undercover kit or the purchase of one of those outrageously expensive paid side changes. If someone decides later on that they really would rather be Neutral, they're screwed and have to reroll, so you see a lot of people recommend Neutral at first because it just plain makes sense. This, the ability to meet, chat with and potentially join all three sides as a Neutral, and the fact that side changes are at the end of newbie island are the real causes of Clan/Omni Newbie OOC being so quiet.

Well i still disagree about not having diferences...
    Its almost like you are telling thar EU=Russa=USA=any other place... Same applys to game.

All life is about diferences. There should be benefits going both factions + even to neutrals. Atm CLAN=OMNI. Ok some small visual stuff.
    But in game both sides have research divisions. Both sides have thier factory`s n`so. So where is diferences in thier research? Or clan and omni researchers work in same room making same stuff? As far i see quest and story wise they are at war : D

I liked that both factions had diferences. Making everything the same ruins game.

Quote Originally Posted by appolonia View Post
    Now, would I like fred sleeves to remain omni and the kind, I don't give a damn, it seems people here obviously won't accept any effort for being clan, surely because 3/4 of them were omni before and only play to compensate something or to keep their grasp on the community.
    Well curently game removes diferences on sides even on new starting locations. Lets say omni tag removal from that tradeskill buff item.
    Yes i am omni ingame, but im not writing this because of just plain fred sleeves. I dont mind clan recive buffs, but there shouls be diference in them. Not copy/paste aka hacked versions. Both side should recevice some signature stuff, what ddefines thier side. Is there any signature items? Nope. Token boards same, buffs same, rk stuff same. Ok ok, any place where you can still see diferences is shadowbreads.

Ok you say items/buffs should be the same, but then make visual change to RK stuff. Lets take crat. Omni crat = clan crat, make thier bots be diferent. Even visual would be nice change. And same apply to all other profesions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Your join date is 2009, so I'm just going to make the assumption that's when you started playing. There have been a few notable differences in sided items in the past.
    Yes for my curent main account. But been arround game since 2003/2004. Almost from begining, while i was still at shool Not proud of that, but i remember when you did start, you got your first month account for free, so was playing month, after that transfer all to newly created month account Was fun. (Didnt have job yet )

A little edit: found out that: Join Date Feb 17th, 2005
    Last edited by SilenceXX; May 25th, 2015 at 19:36:12.