Thread: New Computer Build

New Computer Build

I am getting ready to build a new computer. I have been playing AO for over 10 years and as of late it has been on a very bad computer that rarely gets more than 15 FPS even with everything turned off or lowest settings. I am looking for ideas on a configuration that will get me close to 100 FPS and still cost me under 700$ US. Thank You for your suggestions

You run the risk with getting a new computer for AO to actually run the same as it would on your old computer because AO has some archaic hardware. The engine should address this issue but the engine probably wont be released for like 2 years. Pretty much you can go to any website and pick out a gaming PC for the dollar amount you are looking for and it will kick ass. But dont expect it to kick ass with AO (yet).

The key parts for the CURRENT engine would be an SSD (AO loads a lot of stuff from disk, especially while zoning), a good processor with focus on single-core performance (a decent i5, maybe?), and the rest you're fine with decent stuff. As usual, don't skimp on the PSU and Motherboard or you will sorely regret it over time when they malfunction on you.

For the NEW engine.. you may also need to bring a decent graphics card into the build.

I would REALLY recommend taking a good look at www.logicalincrements.com and getting the highest build you can for your budget. While it's not 100% perfect, it's generally a great reference.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Exactly what Digital has said, never skimp on the mother board and PSU, if you have the budget get an Asus board x79-PRO boards are now pretty cheap, (x99 came out and the x79 price dropped) along with an i7 CPU, yes I know you don't need an i7 for gaming, but I went that route because I want to also use the system for content creation, graphics cards I'd definitely go with Nvidia as they have all the legacy drivers etc built into their software so AO current will run fine once you set it up correctly (and even better with the new engine running at max settings 2460 x 1440for me) the X79 boards also have 8 ram slots and x4 memory channel paths meaning it's not hugely expensive to get to 32gb of ram along with sata x6 ports bang for your buck that's a great system for just about anything you want to throw at it now or in the future.

SSD I cannot stress enough how huge the difference is to your system with one or more of these, (try to get one with equal read/write speeds if possible) if you look at any of my AO videos ( https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 ) you can see how well the game runs right now,(the vids are all in 1080p60fps) and that's while capturing game play.

Good luck
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cabalofthebuildsmiths

They update their builds on a regular basis to get the best bang for buck. If you need something more current, post a thread and someone can usually find you the best deal for your area. And always look for at least a Certified Bronze PSU for good, clean power. I have a budget build with FX-6300 and GTX750Ti that runs AO and practically every other game in existence atm perfectly fine at 1080p 60fps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.