Thread: AO on a Raspberry Pi 2?

AO on a Raspberry Pi 2?

So someone with better texhnical knowledge than I do might be able to help me out with this. My dad decided to get a pair of Raspberry Pi 2's, which are a walkie-talkie sized computer which runs Linux, for fun and cool projects.

What is the possibility of properly installing and running AO on one without melting it into applesauce?

Edit: and by that I mean running it completely low quality, no fancy graphics or anything extra. Fast graphics, low settings, etc.
    Last edited by Mandavel; May 24th, 2015 at 15:58:15.
    creds pls

I'll be interested also. After I've fought RK4 to a draw I'll be trying out various Linux distros. I've been really impressed with the "Puppy" distro & wanted to try it on a pi or one of the other new micro boxes. :-)

Seems pretty unlikely. You can't run WINE cause it only works for x86. You can't install windows8 ARM edition on it cause it doesn't meet the min requirements, and even if you could AO doesn't work on ARM either (and the thought of getting AO compiled for ARM is the kind of thing that gives even the hardiest of programmers nightmares).

Seems unlikely or downright impossible unless I'm super god 220/70/30 programmer from the 11th dimension?
    creds pls

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    (and the thought of getting AO compiled for ARM is the kind of thing that gives even the hardiest of programmers nightmares).
    Mostly an issue of almost every 3rd party dependency for AO not being available for ARM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandavel View Post
    Seems unlikely or downright impossible unless I'm super god 220/70/30 programmer from the 11th dimension?
    Downright impossible. You don't have access to the tools and source that would make it even remotely possible.
    Last edited by Vhab; May 24th, 2015 at 18:21:58.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    Seems pretty unlikely. You can't run WINE cause it only works for x86. You can't install windows8 ARM edition on it cause it doesn't meet the min requirements, and even if you could AO doesn't work on ARM either (and the thought of getting AO compiled for ARM is the kind of thing that gives even the hardiest of programmers nightmares).
    Actually, Wine does work on ARM, but that basically means you'll be able to run WinCE applications. To get x86 code to run in wine on a different processor means getting qemu also running to actually emulate the x86 processor in addition to translating the windows calls. One guy reported successfully getting both Qemu and Wine compiled and running, but with emulation on top of translation, I can't imagine that AO would run particularly well. (Bear in mind, I believe that the system-on-a-chip design of the Pi means that the processor as well as the memory is splitting it's duties for both processing and graphics.)

However, if you want to host a AO chatbot, I've gotten VhaBot running via Mono on a Raspberry Pi and I'm sure BudaBot would be easy enough to get running on a Pi as well.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Well drat. Was looking forward to AO on a tiny box :-) Funcom needs to think about Linux support soon tm.

You might wanna check Gigabyte Brix or Zotac Zbox with AMD APU if you wanna play AO on a tiny box.

Lol! so mostly you need AO Sourcecode, then sourcecode of all libraries... recompile all to ARM... and run it presto!

That is if all da code can even be compiled for ARM as it is, maybe it takes loads of fixing.

See what you need to do is make AO ARM, brand new game from ground up... design it in all ways as AO, feel free to do it better if you want...

Now that'd be something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Scottik View Post
    You might wanna check Gigabyte Brix or Zotac Zbox with AMD APU if you wanna play AO on a tiny box.
    Thanks, I'll give them a look.

What ever happened to playing AO from a flash drive? Did it become too difficult with the db upgrade, prefs move a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Literary View Post
    Thanks, I'll give them a look.

What ever happened to playing AO from a flash drive? Did it become too difficult with the db upgrade, prefs move a few years ago?
    Probably still possible, but you still need a computer to plug that flash drive into.

Quote Originally Posted by Literary View Post
    Funcom needs to think about Linux support soon tm.
    It's not an Operating System issue. Raspberry PI is a completely different CPU architecture from x86-64. Linux runs on Raspberry PI because Linux developers have made the effort to add support for computer architectures.

This doesn't mean that you can take a Linux binary for x86-64 and drop it on your Raspberry PI, the program has to be compliled for the Raspberry PI variant of the ARM archetecture.

In the case of AO, it was bult on top of Microsoft and Windows specific libraries without any equivlents on other platfroms such as Mac OS and Linux. It's not just a matter or recompiling the program for Linux, development work would be needed to replace or reimpliment things.

Other developers (most notably Blizzard and Valve) have embraced cross platform gaming as they see it in their best business interests. Funcom may see this approach as advantageous for future games, but I doubt we'll see anyting on a decade plus old code base full of mysteries, hacks and "how the F$^# does this code even work?!?"
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

i wonder when people will ask to install ao on their phone or their watch
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

I have orgmates that play on their tablets! Not quite the same, but impressive nonetheless.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    I have orgmates that play on their tablets! Not quite the same, but impressive nonetheless.
    Those are most probably Win 8.1 tablets with x86 CPU such as Bay Trail Celeron or low voltage Haswell. That's the same instruction set and architecture that standard desktop and laptop CPUs use.

You could get one of these and try that out http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ute-stick.html
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics