Thread: SL Only Engineer

SL Only Engineer

I recently reactivated my SL only account and thought I would have a stab at a making tradeskill capable toon.

I have no interest in PvP so I would only be looking for PvM solo viability for combat skills and therefor hoping that I would have sufficient IP left over to put into TS.

I'm thinking my best bet would be Soli and pistols (perhaps changing to grenade at endgame for bakum xum) and aiming for T3 and Biodome armour.

I've read through the stickied guide and back to Highorbit's Mk2 guide, but they are both very post AI guides and not sure if I missing something.

So, is this viable given the limits of a SL only account and are there any 'milestone' equipment and perk choices I should looking out for?

Thanks.

If you are already paying a subscription I fail to see the appeal of playing with one hand tied behind your back. AI armor and ofab, research and research huds, while not essential to tradeskilling will certainly make it easier to do so while maintaining a decent setup. I'm guessing for tskill you will need an unholy mix of T3, control unit armor (SL drop), fancy tskill rings (SL drop), maybe crepescule (SL tskill armor).

As for solo viability, being SL only and having tskills will definitely nerf both your damage and your survivability. Engy can't really do much of note solo (barring any changes in recent patch I haven't tested).

On a positive note though, recent nanoskill reductions have made SL-only engineer more able to self nanos at endgame.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

An SL-only account is a fun exercise in thinking sideways. I like playing around with mine and seeing what I can make it do (albeit with the resources I can acquire through also having a very well established full expac account and hordes of froobs). That said I don't have an engi on my Sloob account so I don't have any direct experience with what it'd be like, but I can make educated guesses based on my full expac and froob engis, and my other SL-only TL7s.

Without the benefit of LE/Xan pistols, SL-only pistols would be a pretty weak choice IMO. Going Bacam means doubling up on TS as well because of how most of the Grenade buffing comes about in terms of itemisation and perklines. Yes I just advocated an engi go grenade - what strange times we find ourselves in. As a sloob you CAN do DB quest, equip basic prof nanodeck and cast all of the nanodeck-requiring nanos. This also includes the two APF box nanos - those are yesdrop and they sell cheaply on the GMI (12-20m). You'd need to ask someone with AI to get them for you, mind you

As Roc- err, Louderer above said, nanoskill requirement reductions mean that you should be able to self all your nanos, except the mechanised reflect shield nanodeck nano, provided you aim for a nanoskill/TS setup with control symbs in most spots. Going soli means you should be able to get in some pretty good QL symbs at 220 too, if you farm up Pande. Go for a mix of Pande, Dustbrigade and upgraded Biodome armour. For actual out and about non-TSing pewpew armour, T3 is a pretty poor option for the hassle to get and the equip reqs compared to those others I listed. You can assemble and wear Gauntlet back/shoulders as a sloob, so if you do decide to go all out 220 on it then it's well worth doing that.

Ultimately it comes down to how much effort and resources you want to devote to it. Without the AI armours and HUD/Util buffing that LE and Xan bring, it'll have poor damage and limited survivability compared to a full expac engi. It's a bad choice for a soloing profession if you're looking to farm inf dynas, but that sort of holds true for full expac engis too - I managed to solo Xark once and decided never ever ever again on my engi. Ever.
    The tradeoff is that it's still decent in team PvM for the damage, auras and defences it brings and if you can tradeskill, you can make a bit of money on the side to fund the bits you can't farm or build yourself.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Thanks Louderer789, I do have a full subscription account and was looking to use the SL-only account to experiment with other professions and provide useful support elements (hence the TS idea). Good to know about the drop in top nano reqs.

Thanks Ophiuchus, that's the sort of insight I was after. The lack of viable weapons option from RK/SL compared to full expansions has been a concern and the Bacum did look like the most viable alternative, but given the lack of options I thought that pistol will still be best for leveling (even if its just CDR/Soft Pepper). I never expected to become a soloing god with a SL only account, but being able to solo pocket bosses etc would be great.

So, sounds like it will be a slog to 220 (although the lack of research will make it quicker), but once there things open up a bit.

Well, you can't forget crackerjack sleeves and repair coordination assistant if you wanna tskill with a sloob.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Ranged professions enjoy a significant advantage everywhere and more so against pet professions...
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Note: Calling me an "incompetant ass-monkey", while admitedly is extremely amusing, does nothing to quantify what exactly, if anything, you would like to see changed in your/someone else's nanos.

Levelling to 220 without having to worry about research and AXP is very, very fast in today's game environment, when you consider dailies. Having a full paid account to support it will also help immensely. Levelling CDR/Engi gun with a view to switching over to Bacam is OK I suppose but it'll suck hard in SL.

Nahuatl
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    Silentmotion
    The Union

You can do top crafter from 220 sloob
    Nemezyda PvP/DD/Solo PVM/tradeskill engineer.
    Nemezyda's Top Craft with low IP cost Guide.
    Nemezyda's Implants Assembling Guide
    Alceona Ordinary MP.
    Baldhead He has a shiny baldhead.
    Lucepher 220 Enfo
    Cyborgwizard 200 NT

Can you only get the dogs if you have AI?

Don't need AI for the dogs. Not even the Alien Matrix Box top dog.

The new Corrupted Lusts from PoH look like good endgame weapon choices. Not quite as good as Xan Lusts but a million times easier to equip than the plain Lusts. I'm eyeing a pair for a Sloob Doc of mine.

Nahuatl
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    Silentmotion
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    The new Corrupted Lusts from PoH look like good endgame weapon choices. Not quite as good as Xan Lusts but a million times easier to equip than the plain Lusts. I'm eyeing a pair for a Sloob Doc of mine.
    I would agree except:
    Wield Criteria Self Expansions is LexacyOfXan

Why would Bacam-Xum suck in SL? It's the 2nd best grenade gun in the game and has good stats. They increased the damage and added fling in patch 18.4 and then dropped recharge to 1.2s in 18.7 patch. It's almost as good as sloth now. Plus the Int/MC stats are nice.

Quote Originally Posted by strohkirchw View Post
    Why would Bacam-Xum suck in SL?
    I think he meant the pistols would suck in sl UNTIL you can equip Bacam.

Ahh

Then i agree that would be terrible. I would suggest a MBC then just reset later.

Quote Originally Posted by Auct View Post
    Ah damn. For some reason as I was looking over them weapons I completely failed to spot that. Well that blows. What has LoX got to do with the Pyramid of Home?

I also now can't think of a target audience for the guns. Why Corrupted over Xan version? If they're locked to the same group of people to use, seems like a waste of dev time to me.

Nahuatl
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    Silentmotion
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    Ah damn. For some reason as I was looking over them weapons I completely failed to spot that. Well that blows. What has LoX got to do with the Pyramid of Home?

I also now can't think of a target audience for the guns. Why Corrupted over Xan version? If they're locked to the same group of people to use, seems like a waste of dev time to me.
    Since they can be upgraded with a WU to the Xan versions I would assume it was setup as an easier path to obtain end game weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by strohkirchw View Post
    Since they can be upgraded with a WU to the Xan versions I would assume it was setup as an easier path to obtain end game weapons.
    Not to further derail the thread (Sorry ) but then I don't see why whole new weapons were created for it. Why not just put the actual Beast weapons there? I dunno, I just can't see the logic in Michi's design decision here.

Nahuatl
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    Silentmotion
    The Union

Hey any ideas for a good leveling gun for another SLoob engineer? right now im considering the desperate style of going 2he Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by TipsyDevil View Post
    Hey any ideas for a good leveling gun for another SLoob engineer? right now im considering the desperate style of going 2he Frosty
    Neutrino Flash -> JAME -> ?
    lolSPLAT

Call me old fashioned but you could just use martial arts