Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Monthly Development Update - May 2015 (Yes We Rubi-Kan!)

Hehe lol, monthly price changes.. Lolza.

Let me give two cents I learned from my fatherinlaw, farmer who sells apples and strawberies.

Best revenue is not made when you sell the most Strawberies. It is made when you sell them at high price early in the season, easy...

Lets say in AO tearms 30€/month. Then strawberies become more and more profitable, you sell em in boundless, enormous quantities, everything you wanna do, price still drops, Strawberies rott, you sell em even cheaper.... Revenue still drops.

Then people start buying cheries. Even when AO is 5€ people pay big bucks for some new fruit.

Strawberies rot, you say wth lets only sell good ones and raise price, improve product raise price to 15 and sell em to people who like good strawberies.

Revenue goes up again, far from early season but you can survive while selling them at stable price until end of year when apples come.

But apples are diffrent, they start cheap and only gain in price. Providing stable revenue at decreasing volume all season long.

What kind of fruit is AO, I hope its an Apple, good price alwayz. Stable and improving price.

The moment that price drops I will have to find a new hobby, for AO sure will close. You never make most money by droping price. That will only help you get rid of a roten stockpile.

Also at any given price people will complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    Hehe lol, monthly price changes.. Lolza.

Let me give two cents I learned from my fatherinlaw, farmer who sells apples and strawberies.

Best revenue is not made when you sell the most Strawberies. It is made when you sell them at high price early in the season, easy...

Lets say in AO tearms 30€/month. Then strawberies become more and more profitable, you sell em in boundless, enormous quantities, everything you wanna do, price still drops, Strawberies rott, you sell em even cheaper.... Revenue still drops.

Then people start buying cheries. Even when AO is 5€ people pay big bucks for some new fruit.

Strawberies rot, you say wth lets only sell good ones and raise price, improve product raise price to 15 and sell em to people who like good strawberies.

Revenue goes up again, far from early season but you can survive while selling them at stable price until end of year when apples come.

But apples are diffrent, they start cheap and only gain in price. Providing stable revenue at decreasing volume all season long.

What kind of fruit is AO, I hope its an Apple, good price alwayz. Stable and improving price.

The moment that price drops I will have to find a new hobby, for AO sure will close. You never make most money by droping price. That will only help you get rid of a roten stockpile.

Also at any given price people will complain.
    Sh... I cant Play ....I have only 12,00€ per Month ^_^

soooo can i pay in strawberries or cherries? or is it apples since im in U.S.? i is so confussled
    -Conspiracy Group Inc.

Sigh, just discovered GOG.com is having their Summer Sale and in its 6th day....

How about an overview of the standard monthly fees for MMOs? Well, after looking at some of best known ones, it's obvious that the Evil MMO Cartel (led by Supreme Overlord WOW) has decreed that $15 a month is what works best for its members.

I looked at AO, EVE, Fallen Earth, Planet side 2, Rift, & TERA first. I've subbed all of those (only AO is perma-subbed ) & revisit the lapsed ones when the mood strikes me. Sony has the best deal with its $10/month all access pass for 4 games iirc, the rest are all $15 IF one is going to subscribe. Then I looked at ones I've liked & played. Champions online, STO, DDO, LOTRO all $15 for some sort "premium membership". So are Archeage & ESO. Only Neverwinter didn't seem to have a basic/elite subscription...if there is one it's not easy to find. I think that's a big enough sample for now. :-)

Prediction: If FC does well enough with its LEGO bet, we will see AO buy-to-play soon tm.

(Consumer tip to pro Dev/site designers. MAKE EVERYTHING EASY TO FIND! )

Quote Originally Posted by Literary View Post
    we will see AO buy-to-play soon tm.
    I seriously doubt that. Reason being that B2P is a pay once and play forever model. That would remove the long term subscription revenue which ranges from 90 to 180 US dollars per year per player depending on how they subscribed. For AO to work the B2P price would have to be in that range to account for first year subscription value and AO would have to have new customers at a rate that allowed the B2P revenue to equal the current monthly revenue from subscriptions. Realistically the price would have to be in the 50 US dollar range to cover say 3-4 months of subscriptions value and be customer acceptable and the rate of new customers would still have to match the current subscription revenue stream. Mind you that this is just to stay revenue neutral.

A subscription model can have renewals happen due to automatic renewal being setup and allow the revenue stream to be stable. A B2P has revenue driven by market forces. A person looking to spend 50 US dollars for a new game has to choose between AO and the latest new game. A bad place for a 14 year old game to be placed in.

Then their is the current customers like myself that have paid FC for 14 years of AO at this point. That over 1500 US dollars I have spent on my primary account. Now exactly how would I and other feels if all of a sudden some newbie gets everything for a one time 49 dollar payment? Talk about easy way to piss off your customer base. How does the froob factor into B2P? Does having a froob program lower the value of and as such acceptable price of the B2P package? If it is lower than 49 dollars how will long term subs feel when comparing 1500+ per account to say 29 for full access? At what point does the B2P price become a painful slap in the face to long term subs?

The reason LEGO is moving from F2P with Item Store and In Game Purchases to B2P is because the target audience was discovered (like how they did not know this) to be children under the age of 18 (think it is stated in report that 10 to 16 was the average age range) which do not have access to credit cards or other means to support the level of Item Store and other purchases needed to make the game viable. Really the first attempt at LEGO being F2P is yet another FC failure. This time in understanding the age and financial resources of the target audience.

So as I said in my earlier post. FC has projected operations can continue for the next 12 months (actually 11 remaining now) on the predicted revenues of all products and cash on hand. LEGO would have to be an incredible hit for FC. Oh don't hold your breath.

Oddly enough if I was on the FC board or in their C level I would have stopped all development on games not live about 2 years ago and retargeted for iOS/Android and gone with a Clash of Clans style game. I mean it is hard to argue with a game that is making north of 1.5 million US dollars a day in revenue [reference]. To put it is perspective, Clash of Clans makes in two days what FC takes all quarter to generate. In one week Clash of Clans makes what FC took in total for 2014.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Oddly enough if I was on the FC board or in their C level I would have stopped all development on games not live about 2 years ago and retargeted for iOS/Android and gone with a Clash of Clans style game. I mean it is hard to argue with a game that is making north of 1.5 million US dollars a day in revenue [reference]. To put it is perspective, Clash of Clans makes in two days what FC takes all quarter to generate. In one week Clash of Clans makes what FC took in total for 2014.
    And this right here is the exact reason why the entire games industry is filled with complete sh*t these days. Investors need to stay the hell away from the design decisions of developers. I'm aware that without investor money, big budget games won't get made but they should have no creative input regarding the product being made.

Clones of clones of clones of clones. The lack of innovation is down to someone perfecting something and then everyone else trying to jump on the quick cash grab bandwagon. It's killing the hobby. Think of how many Minecraft Clones or WoW clones or Flappy Bird clones etc exist and realise that none of them have any redeeming features whatsoever because not one of them stands out. They simply exist as a means to try and catch people out and earn a fast buck. The best part is, a huge amount of these clones are NEVER successful and NEVER eat into the massive slice of cake that they attempt to get in on.

I honestly struggle to think of any new IPs being released this year. For the past 2 gens, it's just been sequels of sequels and remaster after remaster. The adventure in development has vanished to make way for board meetings, market predictions and social marketing.

Just look at AO. It's unique and because of that it's survived so long. It might not be around much longer but because AO was so unique it paved the way for swathes of tech that got integrated into other more successful products.

INNOVATION = PROGRESS

So fkn tired of this current trend of stagnation because investors want safe returns.
    Last edited by Raggy; Jun 10th, 2015 at 23:56:00.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Tommorow new patch comes to live, and as I see, there are two patches on testlive (18.7.4.8 and 18.7.4.10), this means changes from both will hit live or...?
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Tommorow new patch comes to live, and as I see, there are two patches on testlive (18.7.4.8 and 18.7.4.10), this means changes from both will hit live or...?
    Short answer: yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    And this right here is the exact reason why the entire games industry is filled with complete sh*t these days. Investors need to stay the hell away from the design decisions of developers.
    I agree there is a lot of crap in the industry coming from "me too" studios. But a big studio like FC had the resources and IP to base off of two years ago to have built and released a compelling game in the CoC genre. Bottom line being that a well designed CoC like game could have dramatically increased FC revenues had it been released at the right time.

Clones of clones of clones of clones.
    In the time frame I was suggesting the shift occur FC would have been the first clone/competitor to CoC. They could have even made the game carry on the lore of AO or TSW in reality. Given the money spent from that time frame to now on projects that have been reported as not profitable or being redesigned (LEGO) I think FC could have made better decision on how to spend their limited resources.

I honestly struggle to think of any new IPs being released this year.
    Hmm let us see about new IP's. I can think of 4 right off the bat. Two have won Apple Design awards. All four are very successful and all four are on mobile with two also on steam.

Monument Valley
    Crossy Road
    Pivvot
    Unpossible

Just look at AO. It's unique and because of that it's survived so long. It might not be around much longer but because AO was so unique it paved the way for swathes of tech that got integrated into other more successful products.
    I never said to shutter the live games. But from a management viewpoint having a cash cow on the balance sheet would allow the live MMO's get the resources they need to return to greatness. It is about swallowing the bitter pill of doing a CoC like game and being able to fund the operations of FC and future development of the live MMO's. FC doing a lego game is laughable because LEGO has licensed so many LEGO games on mobile that FC's app is at best just another Licensed LEGO clone game.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Yes AO is Unique but have heavy Price per Month and AO go the wrong way with 0815 easy mode patch, grind, rework and recolor content....Look INF Mish is the most ever...I miss the old Night Grind Heckler/Golem Partys=( A Lv 220 Char was for 5-8 Years Unique and yet every Player and have 111 220+ toons....
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jun 24th, 2015 at 20:59:42. Reason: removed obsenities

Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Sooo Michi has included a link to a 'newengine.exe' in the patchnotes.

uh...

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

1. Downloader deletes everything if it's closed.
    2. The Installer defaults to "Anarchy Online" folder if folder is changed. This can be harmful for existing installations...

If you are installing testlive engine beta remember these...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I honestly struggle to think of any new IPs being released this year.
    Probably because you aren't actually looking. Which makes sense, seeing as how you think a 14 year old EQ-in-space MMO is unique.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Probably because you aren't actually looking. Which makes sense, seeing as how you think a 14 year old EQ-in-space MMO is unique.
    I like how you waited until after E3 to respond to this. Also how isn't AO unique? How didn't it pave the way for various techs used in current MMOs? Feel free to list a obvious plethora of titles that have similar mechanics as AO.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

I like how you waited until after E3 to respond to this.
    I like how you're so ignorant of something you moan about. Don't even need E3, you can just look at Metacritic "Best of..." lists of games already released this year and find quite a few that aren't sequels or remakes.

Also how isn't AO unique? How didn't it pave the way for various techs used in current MMOs? Feel free to list a obvious plethora of titles that have similar mechanics as AO.
    "Paving the way" doesn't make something unique. It might make it the first, but first only matters at the finish line.

Mechanically? It's a typical EQ style game, and would be familiar to anyone who has played even modern variants that haven't wandered too far off that path.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I like how you waited until after E3 to respond to this. Also how isn't AO unique? How didn't it pave the way for various techs used in current MMOs? Feel free to list a obvious plethora of titles that have similar mechanics as AO.
    If it paved the way for a plethora of titles that have the same mechanics of AO, then how is it unique? Aren't you contradicting yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    It might make it the first, but first only matters at the finish line.

Mechanically? It's a typical EQ style game, and would be familiar to anyone who has played even modern variants that haven't wandered too far off that path.

Unfortunately, the finish line for a MMO is server shutdown. Nice attempt at a bad cliche.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345