Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - May 2015 (Yes We Rubi-Kan!)

"Update the monthly cost to 8 - 12€ per Month" and the Playerbase raised 20-30%

Removal of froobs after 30 days unless you pay will just piss off the remaining playerbase as all of a sudden their mule, alt, buff froob accounts are inaccessible. Very bad idea, to put it politely.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    Removal of froobs after 30 days unless you pay will just piss off the remaining playerbase as all of a sudden their mule, alt, buff froob accounts are inaccessible. Very bad idea, to put it politely.
    Not a bad idea at all. You have to think long-term, and not short-term. If Funcom were to announce the removal of the froob program as we know it today, but give us 6 to 12 months to prepare, everybody has a more than fair chance to clean up and consolidate their froob accounts. I can only speak for myself, of course, but I know *I* would have no issues whatsoever with this approach. But then again, this subscription discussion has been going on for years and years, yielding zero result so far, so it will most likely keep on going as is, for better and for worse.
    Izgimmy
    [220/30/80 Nano Technician]
    Dellingr
    [220/30/72 Engineer]
    Avalinn
    [220/30/80 Doctor]

Plus many more...
    Tiralinn
    [220/30/78 Bureaucrat]

Adding the reck and the pyramid are the most froob friendly announcements in ages. Many froobs used to search for ways to gain entry into these lost zones by bugged zone borders, bugs,glitches,broken doors. It was an urban myth to some of them. Finding these areas were a part of the froob culture when they were at the peak of their power. By losing many of our froobs over the years secret knowledge of rk and its mechanics have been lost forever. Froobs knew more of rk and its workings,locations,mobs than any paid player does today. Having these added are a gift to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Izgimmy View Post
    Not a bad idea at all. You have to think long-term, and not short-term. If Funcom were to announce the removal of the froob program as we know it today, but give us 6 to 12 months to prepare, everybody has a more than fair chance to clean up and consolidate their froob accounts. I can only speak for myself, of course, but I know *I* would have no issues whatsoever with this approach. But then again, this subscription discussion has been going on for years and years, yielding zero result so far, so it will most likely keep on going as is, for better and for worse.
    No, Funcom would never do that. It would be moving backwards in terms of the direction the MMO industry of 2015 is going. FC has been known to make some, er, unique decisions when it comes to the business side of things but they have not yet done something that suicidal. If anything I'd advocate the reverse and whilst I don't think FC will move to merge the froob and sloob options the way I'd like to see it, the addition of RK content coming up is quite clearly indicating that the froob program isn't going away. And a good thing too, IMO.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I wouldn't say I'm eager to scrap the froob program, I just think there are better alternatives nowadays. As others have mentioned, simply lowering the subscription cost, without any short-term guarantee of an equivalent income, sounds a bit far-fetched. Don't get me wrong, I would love to cut my monthly cost from 17 EUR to 5 EUR, or even 10 EUR, but I honestly don't think that's going to happen (unless as a last resort from Funcom, but let's not hope it comes to that). Maybe a hybrid model would suit Anarchy Online? The best of both worlds?

But back to the froob program. A rough estimate - I cannot back this up, just a personal hunch - says that basically 75-80 % of all existing froob accounts are mule accounts or inactive accounts. If Funcom were to develop and implement a shared bank (account wide), holding a reasonable amount of slots, then there would be no more need for mule accounts. A basic shared bank could be part of any paid account, with options to expand the number of available slots through the Item Shop; win-win.

Regarding the froob experience. How about a classic 30-day trial? If you are still undecided after 30 days, Anarchy Online is probably not for you. But if you want to continue, how about paying a small one-time fee, like 5 EUR / 6 USD, to get the "Rubi-Ka Explorer"? It would support the game financially (no subscription cost, but full access to the Item Shop, GMI, mail etcetera) without pushing away those interested in continuing the game (I think).
    You just can't take away stuff from players that has been gratis for years and suddenly offer them the same thing for money. That's just very bad business move. It would make angry large part of the community, I can guarantee you that. Besides 30-day trial is simply not enough when it comes to game as complex as AO. I remember when I started playing back in 2006 the game already has been outdated in terms of visuals and it was really difficult to get into. I even decided to quit after one month of playing, simply because I was frustrated and I wasn't aware of full complexity of the game. Even one year later when I leveled my first toon to 220 I had only seen small fraction of the game.

I think FC is just too scared to take risky move of lowering subscription cost that would bring more players and that could potentially increase their revenue. Instead they've decided to play it safe while slowly killing the game in the long term.

Testlive Patch Notes: 18.7.4.8

Have you seen them?

OMG nice.

Current dev force is producing meaningful updates often, on what 2 week basis? Keep that up.

I as a player expect from a living games atleast 1 good change per day. So every 14 days a dozen or so good changes. Michi so far lives up to expectations I always had, yet Devs failed to deliver in the past.

All in all I am one happy player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Search Old AO Version !!!
    More Grind, More Farm for good Items, Heckler Partys =((, More Challenges...
    AO ist the last 5-8 Years very become easily! Best was FC make New Level Cap hm 300 or 350 Max Cap and New Maps 1 or 2 in the Shadowlands =) Was nice but Dream? I miss the good old evening Partys!

Is this kind of thing cool with Funcom? Considered the same as multiboxing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8daAYvSZwH4

Okay, wait...

In 18.7, the Slayerdroid Annihilator casting requirement was changed to 176. The database lists it as such, and the Nano Crystal has a "Level from 176" requirement listed to cast. Unfortunately, the requirement to actually learn the nano still reads "Level from 201". I assume the change to 176 was intended, to bring Engineers in line with MPs' new level 150 Biazu and Crats' Pen Xan Quest pet, and this is just an issue with someone forgetting to change something in the database. I've been waiting and waiting for these 18.7.4 notes to come out because I assumed that they'd include a fix for this, but this is really disappointing. Assuming Funcom really did intend to change the requirement to 176 and it was just a mistake in the database, will this change be appearing in 18.7.4? The old 200 Slayerdroid is getting a bit stale for TL5 Engineers.

Also, will the "some buffs' durations increased to 4 hours" change apply to Engineer buffs - especially the "Aggression Subsystem" AAO buffs?

I think that the froob program could stay but have a few more features added to it. Anarchy online being buy to play like 15$ for SL and 30$ all expats would make a lot of sense considering just how old of a game it is.
    Last edited by Jaika; Jun 3rd, 2015 at 17:23:51.
    Okay, so wolf.

Reading the past few monthly updates, I can't help but keep wondering what the game would be like had Michizure been GD a few years back. Anyway, nice to see reasonable updates are being made and some new content incoming.

I'll always love this game so glad to see it isn't completely fading away. Keep up the good work Michi!
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

The Froob program is sh it! Make AO to F2P and build more on cash shop(Costumes)
    ! Or Update the monthly cost to 8 - 12€ per Month not many Players buy 3,6,12 month directly. Or make Lifetime Abo....I have buy all Expansions etc for many Money but the Monthly cost is too high 17,19€ rofl!

But the New Content is nice=)

Quote Originally Posted by Sterni View Post
    The Froob program is sh it! Make AO to F2P and build more on cash shop(Costumes)
    ! Or Update the monthly cost to 8 - 12€ per Month not many Players buy 3,6,12 month directly. Or make Lifetime Abo....I have buy all Expansions etc for many Money but the Monthly cost is too high 17,19€ rofl!

But the New Content is nice=)
    Making AO a f2p isn't much of a bad idea these days. Or at the minmum use the secret world's kind of pricing where you buy access to content as you go through.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    Making AO a f2p isn't much of a bad idea these days. Or at the minmum use the secret world's kind of pricing where you buy access to content as you go through.
    Hello,

Today is better a F2P Version with good and fair Cash Shop(Style, costumes Items see Path of Exile) not many peoples find monthly Price or SUBSCRIPTION better...
    And the childs,kinds of gaming stoles Moms and paps purse for Cash Shop Style Items =))
    believe 80% of Peoples, Player frightens the Monthly Price from AO...And is not all you havent the full Gameplay with the monthly Price you most more buy for Full Version<_<.... But FC not understand this?!?!?
    Me too I not Play this game with the high Price per Month!Sorry to say but this Price is not normal!And I make not 3,6,12 month directly for a "normal" price!

mfg

I think in the short run, making AO Buy to Play would be a positive revenue hit as a good chunk of Froob and Sloob accounts would probably happily pay to buy the expansion content at a reasonable cost. Probably the biggest burden AO has in converting accounts to paid status is that once an account is upgraded, it can never go back, making it much less appealing. Honestly, I have no idea if Funcom is even considering altering the model AO has at present (considering there has been no price revision ever, barring the Sloob program).

Funcom could pursue a Buy to Play, no subscription model, but that will require investment in the cash shop for cosmetic items (probably something that would have to wait for the engine upgrade and redoing the models so artists can craft things faster and easier) and content packs that will only target a portion of players given AO's linear progression (someone with a number of 220/30/70 characters doesn't benefit from content aimed at leveling characters).

Another alternative is to allow subscriptions to lapse and be playable, but mark certain features with an "active subscription" tag where they cannot be equipped or used and go 100% OE (AI weapons and armor for example), that will allow folks to still play the game and interact with the community when they can't devote the time they feel a sub price would dictate, and make it possible for Froob/Sloob accounts to test the waters without rendering their accounts dead if they decide it wasn't worth the price of admission. Of course this requires a ton of work to redesign the account structure and game, which may not be feasible to Funcom's finances.

B2P only works if you could guarantee enough upfront revenue to offset the loss you'd gain from losing monthly recurring sources. Guild Wars could do that because of the publicity of the series, but AO more than likely wouldn't.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

I guess its time for NTs at 200 - who can resist 5k dmg in pvp in single shot :/

Just saying, because atm its riduculous to the abosue or exploits. You (FC) took triples, and nothing changed, its the same, but I guess easier.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    I guess its time for NTs at 200 - who can resist 5k dmg in pvp in single shot :/

Just saying, because atm its riduculous to the abosue or exploits. You (FC) took triples, and nothing changed, its the same, but I guess easier.
    lol AO and PVP...... wrong Game ^_^

Quoting guildmate: " What Frob can do? I do daily" (after asking him, what he is doing).

Price is the problem. Almost 18Euro makes this game most expansive on market, and be sure to add some $ in-game transactions, which 90% of playerbase do, and they are not cheap either (I just transfered 1 toon and it costed 10$)...
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast