Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: change battlestations "full cap" mechanic

change battlestations "full cap" mechanic

first of all id like to state that in my opinion the battlestation is a place giving pvpers a place to fight. the daily missions make pvmers go there for vp/sk, thus helping a round to actually start, which is good.

we all know how a bs round looks like:

the pvpers want the round to be as long as possible to fight, not caring about control points and on the opposite the pvmers that want the round to end as fast as possible trying to full cap to end it.

i just did 6 rounds in a row that didnt last for longer than 5min because of full caps. its not fun for the pvpers! considering bs to be the last place where pvp actually happens something needs to change.

id propose a change to the fullcap-mechanic:
    how about once a full cap occurs it will dash 100 points ahead with the current fullcap speed and then it will automatically make the core node neutral (or 1-2 random nodes might be better to stop people from anticipating and preparing a second fullcap right after)

like this there is no 500points fullcap and pvpers can actually pvp for longer!

Bump, i'd also like to see some sort of FFA pvp game, with a different map layout than bs has, but with actual objectives like BS. Notum miner is great and all, but there is no objectives in there, just pure PvP, which is fun, but it donesn't attract that many people.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

No please.

While I do like to PvP the capping mechanism actually gives less twinked/froobs a chance to feel useful.

Besides, BS is a capture and hold type of game with actual tactics instead of the usual FA/burst/fling/AS/perks and hope it dies. Why remove the tactics?

If you want longer rounds then go cap some points yourself. You could easily defend 1 point instead of just farming PvM players for PvP XP.

What I see in BS are indeed some players capping all trying to end it, and some players waiting at spawn point farming PvP XP from afk alts that were logged to get BS up and running.

Thing is, I like pvp when I'm in the mood. I also dislike it when I am not :P

One thing that never gets brought up enough whenever these threads pop up is that "pvpers" are not for the most part actually interested in challenging pvp. The notum miner area provides an alternative arena in which legit pvp could take place yet you never ever see people pvping there. Why is this? Is it simply the case that the average pvper likes to rejoice in the prowess of his/her build by facerolling levelling and untwinked/uninterested toons more than actually facing a real challenge?

I know all pvpers deny this vigorously but the evidence is there for all to see. Pvp areas exist and are utterly uninhabited whereas those areas in which the game provides a mechanic to lure untwinked toons in exchange for xp/sk are popular

anyway I'm off to gank some greens, laters

Quote Originally Posted by n3oheals View Post
    No please.

While I do like to PvP the capping mechanism actually gives less twinked/froobs a chance to feel useful.

Besides, BS is a capture and hold type of game with actual tactics instead of the usual FA/burst/fling/AS/perks and hope it dies. Why remove the tactics?

If you want longer rounds then go cap some points yourself. You could easily defend 1 point instead of just farming PvM players for PvP XP.

What I see in BS are indeed some players capping all trying to end it, and some players waiting at spawn point farming PvP XP from afk alts that were logged to get BS up and running.
    im not sure in which way it would change the current tactics like you mentioned. the only difference is that you have to full cap 4 times in order to end the round..

King of the Hill should be easy to program, and yet lots of fun

There are three general scenarios in which a four cap happens

1. One team is dominating completely and four caps. The other team cannot take any points. Match is over quickly.
    2. One team is ignoring the objectives, and the other isn't. Latter team clearly deserves a quick win in this case.
    3. In the course of a "real" match, sometimes four caps happen as a matter of course.

In cases 1 & 2 a four cap is perfectly fine because one team either cannot or will not defend their points. In case 3, it rarely lasts long enough to make a huge difference - and if it does, well, see 1 and 2.

BS is about objectives. If you just want a straight up deathmatch... tough luck.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

I like 4 cap, makes rounds faster and exciting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Majority of ppl go to BS for:
    1. Daily XP/SK reward
    2. Victory Points
    Beeing farmed and chainkilled by "pvpers" is the price they pay for 1. and 2.
    They do not care how many times they are killed as long as the whole round takes 5-10 min (which means some 4 caps)
    Wasting 30 minutes to get 1. and 2. is just too much and too frustrating ...

90% of "pvpers" are hunting those leveling greenies to get as many easy kills as possible. They do not fight "pvpers" of the opposite side and most of the time they run in packs/zerg (as if they could not kill greenies on their own, which is even more ridiculous)

The Real pvpers do:
    1. duels with other top geared twinks
    2. tower fights
    3. go to notum miners area make 2 teams of 2-6 ppl with other top geared twinks and have lots of fun fighting team against team there.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Well said. Remember how empty BS got when xpVp 3x was nerfed. Noone did bs instantlly overnight.

Making bs last 30m is a pain for attendants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Most annoying part of a quad cap is swapping into nano gear and rebuffing, this is a pain for some profs and u cant help but feel a little sad for agts barely finishing buff ritual before it has ended :S And about the pvp zone, no1 uses it simply because no1 uses it, i check it regularly for actions and i know some others do too. BS sends u an invite and you know theres ppl there, pvp area dont :S wtb notification when some1 steps into the pvp area OR even ye ol' arena!
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post

Making bs last 30m is a pain for attendants.
    ya. this a thousand times this.

But it's actually important to note something else here which has not been said yet.

If BS is no longer the fastest/most efficient method to getting VP... it's over; no one will go.

I agree with some other posters above (Awikun, yay first time for everything) - that "real" PVPers will go to war or duel or whatever. They will do BS as well, but really, if you're going to BS to find PVP... it's like ok, in 1/5 matches you might find someone who is:
    1. good at their prof/level
    2. at a level which is a decent match up for you
    3. isn't using REALLY sh*tty/cheap mechanics to squeak out every win they possibly can

(Note that video pomidor posted recently... That NT was cheap as hell.. like he'd killed the sold 4 times already and rooted/ran, filled up and came back to gank him again 2 on 1 when the sold legitimately should have won the previous fight...)

Like that's the kind of thing that makes people just log off. Being denied a kill after getting chainkilled is like... I don't even know, there aren't words for it. If someone did that to me I'd /org info him, and go park all my twinks at his sites and make sure I brought the fight to him in a way that he couldn't run away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgly View Post
    Most annoying part of a quad cap is swapping into nano gear and rebuffing, this is a pain for some profs and u cant help but feel a little sad for agts barely finishing buff ritual before it has ended :S And about the pvp zone, no1 uses it simply because no1 uses it, i check it regularly for actions and i know some others do too. BS sends u an invite and you know theres ppl there, pvp area dont :S wtb notification when some1 steps into the pvp area OR even ye ol' arena!
    This.
    Duels happen sometimes, but that's practice pvp.
    Towers are MB wards. Nothing related to PvP happens there.
    Notum Miners are deserted.

BS is actually fun PvP a lot of the time. Maybe half the people who end up there are green, but after a while you only kill them if they try to quad.
    Most of the time you go find someone good or a couple decent guys and duke it out with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgly View Post
    ++ maybe just fix that insane fast pts tick if 4 capped
    220/30/70 Atrox Soldier ..::.. Experienced Hunter Shoorty Fearme Movie 1 2 3
    220/30/70 Nanomage Agent ..::.. Neophyte Prince Fedez
    150/20/42 Atrox Enforcer ..::.. Rookie Duel Pheddex Please

- SEMPER FIDELIS -

if it ticks too slow, i.e. 30 minute rounds... people will stop going.

Nobody wants to get farmed for 30 minutes to collect a paltry sum of VP.

If an agent takes half that time to get buffed, that's too long. You're missing out on actual play if you spend that long getting buffed. If you're missing out on the activity because your prep time is too extended, you're missing the forest looking for trees.

It's battlestation for heavens sake. if it takes you 15 minutes to prepare yourself to fight where what is at stake is the difference between 10 kills and 15 kills, and 400 VP and 1200 VP... you're doing it wrong.

I've been playing my agent a bit lately and half the time I just buff 5 things: 260 AS buff, 600 conceal, crit buff, and two procs.

Then I go around rampaging and I get oodles of kills... it's like... you want MORE than that? lol. I mean, how much more effective do you need to be?

I am ready to go in 8 seconds. I heal after fights with a kit. Easy as pie.

Anyway, sometimes if the round doesn't end soon enough for me I AFK out. Screw sitting around in BS all day.

I think BS rounds should be capped at 10 minutes, and whoever has the highest score after 10 minutes wins.

If agents are having a hard time getting totally buffed in 10 minutes, then either you're trying too hard, or the prof is broken. Maybe we should just remove TP?

Go have some fun Srompu... if you're gunna buff for so long, go do war or something.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 23:59:58.

It takes about 3-4 min to buff up an agent ( i tp just 2 times...dunno others) what about 15 min BS rounds? I think 10 min is a lil bit to short... yes! 10 min for huge rewards ( Vp+Sk) is waaay to short

Maybe also that the 15min timer starts as soon as core is capped
    Last edited by Shooorty; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 11:04:27.
    220/30/70 Atrox Soldier ..::.. Experienced Hunter Shoorty Fearme Movie 1 2 3
    220/30/70 Nanomage Agent ..::.. Neophyte Prince Fedez
    150/20/42 Atrox Enforcer ..::.. Rookie Duel Pheddex Please

- SEMPER FIDELIS -

Quote Originally Posted by slythea View Post
    first of all id like to state that in my opinion the battlestation is a place giving pvpers a place to fight.
    Wrong! BS is about capping points first and foremost.
    A twink in sneak at a neutral point whacking anyone who comes near to cap it so they can prolong the encounter is BS and I don't mean battle station. Hindering the game like that must be worth a ban if caught by a GM I'm sure.

The only change they should do is if someone is camping a point it automatically gets capped to their side. I don't think the game mechanics will allow for that to happen though, unless the point can send out an AOE ping to figure out which side has the most players in that area and thereby determine who caps it.

Quote Originally Posted by Player1 View Post
    Wrong! BS is about capping points first and foremost.
    A twink in sneak at a neutral point whacking anyone who comes near to cap it so they can prolong the encounter is BS and I don't mean battle station. Hindering the game like that must be worth a ban if caught by a GM I'm sure.
    The aim of Battlestations is, as you correctly pointed out, to be the first team to hit 500 points and win.
    However, thinking that it could be a bannable offense to be in sneak and killing someone to prevent them from capping the point and aiding their side is laughable. I would agree that it is annoying, sometimes frustratingly so, but they are in essence defending from rampant capturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Player1 View Post
    The only change they should do is if someone is camping a point it automatically gets capped to their side. I don't think the game mechanics will allow for that to happen though, unless the point can send out an AOE ping to figure out which side has the most players in that area and thereby determine who caps it.
    And if the point is already captured by their side, and they're hanging around to defend it, what then ?

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    The aim of Battlestations is, as you correctly pointed out, to be the first team to hit 500 points and win.
    However, thinking that it could be a bannable offense to be in sneak and killing someone to prevent them from capping the point and aiding their side is laughable. I would agree that it is annoying, sometimes frustratingly so, but they are in essence defending from rampant capturing.

And if the point is already captured by their side, and they're hanging around to defend it, what then ?
    I'm talking about a point that is uncapped (neutral) for 10 minutes because they are stopping anyone from capping it with the mentality that the BS should not end even if one side is totally overpowered with no hope of winning or killing the camper.

The same happens with people standing around the last enemy point and not capping it, just farming titles. No defending or helping their side win, just inhibiting the game.
    Last edited by Player1; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 12:08:37.

I do not think this is a good idea to implement "proximity caping", however there is one thing that pisses me off and hopefully some mechanics could be changed.

When I start capping and somebody attacks me it should be my decision if I continue to cap or if I stop caping and start fighting that sneaky coward!
    As it is now this mechanics give unfair advantage to all kinds of sneaky cowards and is used even by: enfos, keepers, soldiers, NTs, etc.
    I think I have met every single profession doing that, because majority of players do not IP perception and it is possible to IP sneak on a lot of profession that have some spare IP and abuse this mechanic.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast