Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aspect Ratio change for widescreen moniters

Aspect Ratio change for widescreen moniters

My native res is 2560x1080 but game will not set aspect ratio for it. Looked in preffs for launcher settings and nothing to modify for proper aspect ratio at 2560x1080. Have to run new engine in 1920x1080 so char and all on screen is not squished down. Hopefully Funcom can put in aspect ratio change on launcher settings for widescreen moniters.
    220 Engi Tradeskiller

I have this bug to, I started the game on a 1680x1050(16:10) monitor, and it looked like 4:3 content stretched to 16:9
    But when I switched to a 1920x1080 monitor it still looks stretched

Yes its horrible.

Type in resolution you want to use in the settings, run that in borderless windowed mode, done.

One of my guidies has managed x3 screens.
    http://i.imgur.com/RlBDHfy.jpg
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

@Caloss2
    I also managed to get it running on 3 screens, did have to change my video settings to 1 huge desktop of 5760x1080.

Downsides so far:
    At character selection screen I only see a small part of my character, as it is no zoomed in to match the total width of the screens (so I only see the middle 33% of my character)
    Ingame the bottom "wings" containing the aggdef bar and credits, menu buttons etc, are on the faaaaar left and right of my left/right monitor, and also the pinned windows and mini menu on the right are now on the far right of my screens (right monitor)

Conclusion: Playing on 3 monitors is pretty sweet, lots of space and huge viewing angle, but the game is not truely supporting it as I cannot move arount certain parts of the GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerengi View Post
    @Caloss2
    I also managed to get it running on 3 screens, did have to change my video settings to 1 huge desktop of 5760x1080.

Downsides so far:
    At character selection screen I only see a small part of my character, as it is no zoomed in to match the total width of the screens (so I only see the middle 33% of my character)
    Ingame the bottom "wings" containing the aggdef bar and credits, menu buttons etc, are on the faaaaar left and right of my left/right monitor, and also the pinned windows and mini menu on the right are now on the far right of my screens (right monitor)

Conclusion: Playing on 3 monitors is pretty sweet, lots of space and huge viewing angle, but the game is not truely supporting it as I cannot move arount certain parts of the GUI.
    You can customise the GUI in the way you are talking about the soft menu in notum dovvetech might let you do that.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

I'm amazed at the number of people who play in fullscreen
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Borderless windowed here
    But still full screen

This bug is still in here? Damn, was one of the first things I reported back in closed beta. 1440p in full screen has a squished aspect ratio. A shame as being able to use those higher resolutions was one of the primary draws of the new engine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    What? Who plays games in windows?
    Last edited by Krause; Jun 30th, 2015 at 23:01:46.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Borderless windowed mode is generally superior in everything, hence the surprise.
    It's better for almost every game out there, not just AO. It's allows for seamless alt-tabbing (or multi monitor setups just proper multitasking), it's generally more stable and, in AO's case, there's no squish bug as far as I could tell.
    There's several names for it out there, including Fullscreen Windowed. Windowed (no border) and, ofc, Borderless window.

Visually, it's the same as Fullscreen.. and you don't miss out on much performance (or any, in some cases).
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalBath View Post
    Borderless windowed mode is generally superior in everything, hence the surprise.
    It's better for almost every game out there, not just AO. It's allows for seamless alt-tabbing (or multi monitor setups just proper multitasking), it's generally more stable and, in AO's case, there's no squish bug as far as I could tell.
    There's several names for it out there, including Fullscreen Windowed. Windowed (no border) and, ofc, Borderless window.

Visually, it's the same as Fullscreen.. and you don't miss out on much performance (or any, in some cases).
    Unless you are using a multi-GPU solution. And then borderless windowed turns your second GPU into nothing more than an airflow-blocking brick. Not that you need dual GPUs for AO, but you seemed to be making the point more generally, so some clarification was needed.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Unless you are using a multi-GPU solution. And then borderless windowed turns your second GPU into nothing more than an airflow-blocking brick. Not that you need dual GPUs for AO, but you seemed to be making the point more generally, so some clarification was needed.
    Hmm.. is that just in AO's New Engine? I've used 560 Ti's in SLI before moving to a single 780 and never had that happen, both cards were being used properly with my 3 monitors, most games being played in Borderless Windowed mode. (as properly as SLI gets, anyway)
    Could also be that SLI has no issues but multi-GPU without SLI does. Not a common setup though.

Either that or I have another reason to be wary of AMD's tempting GPUs.. never had a Crossfire setup.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

Hmm.. is that just in AO's New Engine? I've used 560 Ti's in SLI before moving to a single 780 and never had that happen, both cards were being used properly with my 3 monitors, most games being played in Borderless Windowed mode. (as properly as SLI gets, anyway)
    Could also be that SLI has no issues but multi-GPU without SLI does. Not a common setup though.

Either that or I have another reason to be wary of AMD's tempting GPUs.. never had a Crossfire setup.
    It's a problem in some games with SLI (and all games with Crossfire). Neither multi-GPU solution works with it perfectly - many people actually report worse performance with SLI enabled when using borderless windowed. Both GPUs are running full tilt, but the performance numbers are way down. It doesn't always effect everyone, and not always in all games with SLI, but it's a known issue. Crossfire just doesn't work in borderless windowed. At all.

As to borderless windowed being more stable - perhaps 4 or 5 years ago, but I haven't had a modern game give me alt-tab issues in fullscreen in at least that long.

Either way, both GPU companies recommend exclusive fullscreen for multi-GPU setups, and many people report a performance and stability differential between the two options. As with any cobbled together hack like SLI/Crossfire, YMMV.

Also, if you move to SLI or Crossfire again, I think you'd be amazed at the improvement - the era of the 500 series was still ironing out some of the big kinks in the technology. Now, games are usually pretty flawless (in fullscreen ) within one driver update or patch after release. Now that a much larger percentage of gamers have multi-GPU, they actually bother to properly support it in games. Except for John Carmack. But he's a bit eccentric.
    Last edited by jorricane; Jul 1st, 2015 at 05:17:13.

It's a problem in some games with SLI (and all games with Crossfire). Neither multi-GPU solution works with it perfectly - many people actually report worse performance with SLI enabled when using borderless windowed. Both GPUs are running full tilt, but the performance numbers are way down. It doesn't always effect everyone, and not always in all games with SLI, but it's a known issue. Crossfire just doesn't work in borderless windowed. At all.

As to borderless windowed being more stable - perhaps 4 or 5 years ago, but I haven't had a modern game give me alt-tab issues in fullscreen in at least that long.

Either way, both GPU companies recommend exclusive fullscreen for multi-GPU setups, and many people report a performance and stability differential between the two options. As with any cobbled together hack like SLI/Crossfire, YMMV.

Also, if you move to SLI or Crossfire again, I think you'd be amazed at the improvement - the era of the 500 series was still ironing out some of the big kinks in the technology. Now, games are usually pretty flawless (in fullscreen ) within one driver update or patch after release. Now that a much larger percentage of gamers have multi-GPU, they actually bother to properly support it in games. Except for John Carmack. But he's a bit eccentric.
    I've been pondering a move to 780 SLI.. maybe also put both on water and make this setup last quite a bit longer.. so I'm quite glad to know things have improved since the 5xx days where with each game SLI was a total gamble on performance.

Not that I have much to complain about.. mostly do 1920x1080 and the 780 handles that very well, other monitors aren't there for a surround gaming setup.. mostly just for work.
    The exception is running EVE Online in surround for screenshots and to drool at it for a bit..

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.. and I wasn't aware of the issues SLI/Crossfire have when Fullscreen's not being used.. never had the issue so never looked it up before.
    I guess SLI is bad for single-pc livestreaming too.. oh well!

Let's see how DX12 shakes that whole thing up.
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

I've been pondering a move to 780 SLI.. maybe also put both on water and make this setup last quite a bit longer.. so I'm quite glad to know things have improved since the 5xx days where with each game SLI was a total gamble on performance.

Not that I have much to complain about.. mostly do 1920x1080 and the 780 handles that very well, other monitors aren't there for a surround gaming setup.. mostly just for work.
    The exception is running EVE Online in surround for screenshots and to drool at it for a bit..

Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.. and I wasn't aware of the issues SLI/Crossfire have when Fullscreen's not being used.. never had the issue so never looked it up before.
    I guess SLI is bad for single-pc livestreaming too.. oh well!

Let's see how DX12 shakes that whole thing up.
    No, it's fine for single PC livestreaming, I just use a second monitor to keep an eye on OBS. Totalbiscuit does single-PC streaming - granted he has a beast of a PC, but the theory is the same.

Or, I have also used the second card exclusively for rendering for recording, a great way to divvy up the workload.

Edit: Also, best bet is probably to sell the current 780 and replace it with a 980 or 980Ti. The greater VRAM is a boon these days, plus 780s are currently horridly overpriced. Unless you can find a great deal on one...Also, if you do watercool, head over to the Jayztwocents forums and show it off, its a good crowd over there.
    Last edited by jorricane; Jul 1st, 2015 at 06:05:52.

No, it's fine for single PC livestreaming, I just use a second monitor to keep an eye on OBS. Totalbiscuit does single-PC streaming - granted he has a beast of a PC, but the theory is the same.

Or, I have also used the second card exclusively for rendering for recording, a great way to divvy up the workload.

Edit: Also, best bet is probably to sell the current 780 and replace it with a 980 or 980Ti. The greater VRAM is a boon these days, plus 780s are currently horridly overpriced. Unless you can find a great deal on one...Also, if you do watercool, head over to the Jayztwocents forums and show it off, its a good crowd over there.
    I meant that streaming stuff without Borderless Window is a huge PITA. It makes for very uncomfortable streaming as I keep the game on 1 monitor, chat & notifications on 2nd monitor, OBS's stuff on 3rd. When streaming Fullscreen games usually one of two things happen - The two side screens black out, making them useless ; The game rendering freezes (and thus the stream looks like poop) and game audio goes mute whenever I alt-tab out of it. Both are quite annoying. We'll see how things work out.

If I can't get a good deal on a 2nd 780 I'll likely do as you said. Sell it off, get a 980 or 980 Ti and keep the single card stuff going until I can afford a 2nd one.
    I'll check the forums but my watercooling is rather simplistic at the moment, AIO only. I'll keep the off topic away for now though
    --

--<3 Professional love--
    <Lazy>

Totalbiscuit has x2 titans and streams through cloning one screen and sending the other to a hardware streamer connected to a second pc, last time he did a behind-the curtain, x2 titans would be nice for rendering lol

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Totalbiscuit has x2 titans and streams through cloning one screen and sending the other to a hardware streamer connected to a second pc, last time he did a behind-the curtain, x2 titans would be nice for rendering lol
    Good to know, I didn't realize he had migrated to a hardware capture box. He did it quite a while ago too, I should pay more attention to these things before spouting off

Good to know, I didn't realize he had migrated to a hardware capture box. He did it quite a while ago too, I should pay more attention to these things before spouting off
    I do like his channel he being a cynical brit myself lol

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    What? Who plays games in windows?
    What do you use, a Mac?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast