Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SweetFX, because why not.

Thanks for the thread shoutout in the video! (also, subscribed - I tend to watch these through Facebook and always forget to sub, done now).
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    Why they used FXAA is beyond me.... I can't remember if aoc of tsw even used it anymore.
    Probably someone saw the "Fast" part of "Fast ApproXimate Anti-Aliasing" and said, "Oh, it's Fast! It must be better!" <=== That was sarcasm, I am not taking a poke at any devs or FC employees.

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Thanks for the thread shoutout in the video! (also, subscribed - I tend to watch these through Facebook and always forget to sub, done now).
    Thanks dude, I also watch Jays2cents channel, get him to try the new engine on skunkworks at 4k :P
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Why they used FXAA is beyond me.... I can't remember if aoc of tsw even used it anymore.
    I generally agree... FXAA is like:
    Game Studio: "If we smear peanut butter out really nice, it won't have any aliasing!"
    Consumer: "But now it looks like... extrements."
    Game Studio: "No aliasing! Best anti-aliasing!"
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Hm I couldn't get this to work, it tells me that it can't get access to c:\foldername\d3d9.dll
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    Hm I couldn't get this to work, it tells me that it can't get access to c:\foldername\d3d9.dll
    Sounds like a permissions issue. It seems a lot of people still have those and it probably affects patching as well. Someone should look into this at some point.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Never had any problems patching.... and I've never had any permission-issues on this machine... but windows(7).. weird things might always occur....
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Never had any problems patching.... and I've never had any permission-issues on this machine... but windows(7).. weird things might always occur....
    Right-click .exe select run as administrator. Or modify your windows account to admin. (start in safe mode, log in as admin and edit your(your name) win7 profile)
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Right-click .exe select run as administrator. Or modify your windows account to admin. (start in safe mode, log in as admin and edit your(your name) win7 profile)
    Didn't help.. I do think I know why it won't cooperate though... i have custom settings on the AnarchyOnline.exe through nVidia control panel.... I'll try deleting that profile and see if it helps.

Edit: Worked after I deleted the nVidia profile for it. although... this program doesn't do anything that my nVidia profile did any better.... looks good when tweaked, but could make it look just as good with the control panel for nVidia's custom 3d settings.
    Last edited by Jihnna; Jul 2nd, 2015 at 22:50:54.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Didn't help.. I do think I know why it won't cooperate though... i have custom settings on the AnarchyOnline.exe through nVidia control panel.... I'll try deleting that profile and see if it helps.

Edit: Worked after I deleted the nVidia profile for it. although... this program doesn't do anything that my nVidia profile did any better.... looks good when tweaked, but could make it look just as good with the control panel for nVidia's custom 3d settings.
    You can't adjust the black and white clipping or the gamma in the same way, nor force SMAA; nor colour depth and about 45 other things you can do with it. Not all useful but they are there. You may not visibly see some of the sharpness vibrance and depth it can add if you're using a regular TN monitor but on an IPS monitor it's night and day.

I'm running 3x dell IPS monitors... but yeah... I guess my knowledge of how to tweak within the program may be my restriction...
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    You can't adjust the black and white clipping or the gamma in the same way, nor force SMAA; nor colour depth and about 45 other things you can do with it. Not all useful but they are there. You may not visibly see some of the sharpness vibrance and depth it can add if you're using a regular TN monitor but on an IPS monitor it's night and day.
    Oh, it's pretty night-and-day on a TN gaming panel as well.

Ok, finally got this to work without any problems, however... not quite satisified with the SMAA, as it says in SweetFX, LumiaSharpen makes SMAA less smooth, anyone find a setting to get completely smooth edges with both enabled ? Don't wanna disable LumiaSharpen, because besides the problem with SMAA, it really makes the game look much better.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Reshade the newer version probably has that bug fixed

Here are some new findings. Reshade is vastly superior to this old version. HDR, curves and cartoon don't do much for ao. SMAA, bloom,lumasharpen, vibrance,dither,bit-depth are your go to mandatory filters to use.
    To install reshade just download it from links in this thread and install using the d9 settings and overwrite existing install. In the ao folder afterwards should be a folder named sweetfx and a config file inside this is what you edit to change settings with notepad or etc. changes are instant upon when you save the text file.
    This is what I am experimenting with atm. Just place it into the sweetfx folder and overwrite if you wish to try. Its a work in progress. http://www.megafileupload.com/4Jpc/SweetFX_settings.txt

Here are some new findings. Reshade is vastly superior to this old version. HDR, curves and cartoon don't do much for ao. SMAA, bloom,lumasharpen, vibrance,dither,bit-depth are your go to mandatory filters to use.
    To install reshade just download it from links in this thread and install using the d9 settings and overwrite existing install. In the ao folder afterwards should be a folder named sweetfx and a config file inside this is what you edit to change settings with notepad or etc. changes are instant upon when you save the text file.
    This is what I am experimenting with atm. Just place it into the sweetfx folder and overwrite if you wish to try. Its a work in progress. http://www.megafileupload.com/4Jpc/SweetFX_settings.txt
    Awesome! I'll get onboard with that after my PC is back up and running again - rebuilding my office so everything is in a tizzy at the moment.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Awesome! I'll get onboard with that after my PC is back up and running again - rebuilding my office so everything is in a tizzy at the moment.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.
    Anyone notice some weird clipping/flashing?

In some places like fair trade signs. I have vertical sync forced on in drivers. I don't think the engine has vertical sync? In game fps goes well over 60 fps I notice.

I am using your settings on reshade, but my font seems quite chunky and weird to read. Do you have any idea what might cause this?
    Rerolled old toon:
    Catosan - TL6 Adventurer - MeleeMonkey
    Shixxer - TL3 Fixer - In training
    Marthechan - TL2 Bureaucrat - In training
    Facepool - TL1 Enforcer - In training

Hanging around since: 2001-12-30 15:33:24

I am not retreating - I am advancing in another direction.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast