Thread: Running at 2560x1440 = crash

Running at 2560x1440 = crash

So I got a new monitor a couple months back but for some reason when i try to run AO at full rez of 2560x1440 it wont load. The launcher opens and i hit play....then nothing. It still works if i lower the rez to any other setting. Anyone got any ideas?
    Master Mentholbox 220/30 Adv
    Master Seanconnery 220/20 NT
    Neophyte Azazzel 217 agent
    Menthscrat 220/30 Crat
    Mexico-god's blindspot!

first person to ding 220 in a SL mission
    First lvl 250 adv on RK1!!!!

[Mercenaries] Wilsonat: Gorilla is animal, geurilla is animal with an AK47

Use custom resolution of 2048x1440 with old client or just download the new one that supporst 2560x1440.

Basically it's just that old engine doesn't support resolutions higher than 2048. And it's not going to get fixed anymore.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    Use custom resolution of 2048x1440 with old client or just download the new one that supporst 2560x1440.

Basically it's just that old engine doesn't support resolutions higher than 2048. And it's not going to get fixed anymore.
    What do you mean download the new one? I am running the latest patch with the new engine
    Menthscrat 220/30 Crat
    Mexico-god's blindspot!

Quote Originally Posted by mentholbox View Post
    What do you mean download the new one? I am running the latest patch with the new engine
    I can confirm that 1440p works on my system, so it's not the normal issue.

Have you tried different configurations of full screen, windowed and borderless? Do you have any other games that have same problem?

I recommend posting your system specs and related info.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Tried all configurations. When running full screen the screen goes black for a moment and then it closes and goes back to the desktop. No issues on any other games.

Computer has plenty of power to run it
    Windows 10
    i7-3930K
    16GB ram
    2x EVGA 680 Classified
    main monitor ASUS ROG SWIFT, flanked by 2x Samsung S27B550s
    Menthscrat 220/30 Crat
    Mexico-god's blindspot!

Tried all configurations. When running full screen the screen goes black for a moment and then it closes and goes back to the desktop. No issues on any other games.

Computer has plenty of power to run it
    Windows 10
    i7-3930K
    16GB ram
    2x EVGA 680 Classified
    main monitor ASUS ROG SWIFT, flanked by 2x Samsung S27B550s
    Having the latest PATCH, is NOT the same as downloading the new engine.

What size is your AO folder?

If it's at the 25gig mark you have the new engine, if it's around 3.6gig you are trying to run the old engine.

If you click the link to my youtube channel in my sig you can see over 20 AO vids since the new engine hit test live and then live are recorded and uploaded in the native 2560 x 1440p

Running a very similar system to your's

Win 10
    i7 3820
    32GIG ram
    1 x Asus 680 GTX

The client dropping as soon as you try to launch from clicking play, is exactly what will happen if you haven't download (5gig) the new engine, run the installer and have an install of 25gig. And have only clicked patch.

Now all that said, if you DO infact have the new engine, then a common problem seems to be missing dx9 .dll files, this is easy enough to fix.

Download DX-SDK from microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...s.aspx?id=6812

And it will place every dx .dll file onto the system safely. since about 2005 most game titles will install any dx-.dll files they need when you install the game hence this and other memes
    http://www.quickmeme.com/img/31/31e4...30f57123ed.jpg
    Last edited by Caloss2; Aug 1st, 2015 at 08:48:48. Reason: Extra and follow on info
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    What size is your AO folder?

If it's at the 25gig mark you have the new engine, if it's around 3.6gig you are trying to run the old engine.
    Just check the title in the launcher. It'll say "Large Client + New Engine".

Also, you don't need the DirectX SDK. That's intended for developers, not end users.
    Use the web installer instead to make sure you have all the different versions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Just check the title in the launcher. It'll say "Large Client + New Engine".

Also, you don't need the DirectX SDK. That's intended for developers, not end users.
    Use the web installer instead to make sure you have all the different versions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35
    Mine just says large client. Downloading the 'new' one through the launcher link now.
    Menthscrat 220/30 Crat
    Mexico-god's blindspot!