Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - August 2015 (Pyramid Scheming)

Funcom employee Monthly Development Update - August 2015 (Pyramid Scheming)

Hello everyone, I hope you've had a great August! Most of this month has been spent inside of a dank dungeon.

The Pyramid of Home
    Much progress has been made with the upcoming Pyramid of Home dungeon! To recap, this will be a 6-man dungeon with 4 boss encounters. I plan to have all the bosses fully functional by the end of next week, and the whole encounter content complete towards the end of September, which is when I hope to ship it to Testlive.

While there will be 4 boss fights within the dungeon, there will be a total of 6 possible bosses to encounter, all of which have their own methods to deal with pesky invaders. Beyond these boss fights, in order to proceed further in the dungeon, a certain amount of coordination between team members will also be required; timing will be key.

I will be saving some more specifics on the individual monsters and their rewards for next month's update, though it may be worth it to gather up and/or dust off all of that old Pandemonium armor.

Upcoming PvP Changes
    In an upcoming update (some time after 18.8.3), changes will be made to how the /assist command and Target's Target functionality work. Specifically, this command and GUI feature will not work if the Target's target is a Player. While this will drastically change how certain PvP venues operate, we feel this change will make PvP feel more engaging and less automated.

18.8.3 Patch
    This patch is pretty much ready to go and should be heading towards the Live servers soon, barring any additional unexpected issues. There were a few internal hangups, but those are now behind us. This small patch is currently on Testlive for anyone curious.

Thank You
    It has been a busy month, but it is always invigorating to create new and fresh content. I hope everyone will enjoy this dungeon as much as I've enjoyed making it!
    Last edited by Michizure; Aug 28th, 2015 at 20:36:17.
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

keep up the good work, not sure about the assist changes but lets see how it works out I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    Upcoming PvP Changes
    In an upcoming update (some time after 18.8.3), changes will be made to how the /assist command and Target's Target functionality work. Specifically, this command and GUI feature will not work if the Target's target is a Player. While this will drastically change how certain PvP venues operate, we feel this change will make PvP feel more engaging and less automated.
    Nah nah nah, nah... nah nah nah, nah... hey hey hey...goodbye!
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Sweet jebus michi
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Looking forward to the new dungeon content and seeing how multi boxers react to the /assist changes :>
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Removing Assist only hands even more advantages to the more sophisticated multiboxers, whilst at the same time utterly screwing groups of players trying to coordinate, for example against said multiboxers. Also it makes healing much, much harder.

This is not the answer to MBers. It really isn't.
    Last edited by Ophiuchus; Aug 28th, 2015 at 23:02:08.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Upcoming PvP Changes
    Care to expand on this a little, especially in regards to Doctor /assist healing please? That's been a long-standing show of a great doc...Is that about to die?
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    Removing Assist only hands even more advantages to the more sophisticated multiboxers, whilst at the same time utterly screwing groups of players trying to coordinate, for example against said multiboxers. Also it makes healing much, much harder.

This is not the answer to MBers. It really isn't.
    This is 100% truth, there is already software out there that assists without ingame macros, and we all know how well certain other "software" has been policed so far. As stated above, the more "sophisticated" players will not be effected and there will be no way for FC to tell the difference. This just further increases the gap between legit and illegit players.

Pretty much every doc/agent/adv/ma/trader in the game uses assist to heal if they are any good, also docs will have fun healing against the new QL 300 tower dmg clusters without a full RI of hp bars covering thier entire screen.

Ty for assist changes. makes battles less about who has more, and more about who is better.
    imo u need to do something about aoe blinds visual effect. single target duration should also be nerfed.

I used to assist heal back in the day.
    I dont now. i dont need to.
    it is faster to use assist healing, but when you get good enough you dont need it.

I look forward to the proposed changes. Extra content is almost always good and the update alludes to additions to Pande armor, which is much appreciated

As for the /assist changes, I think the fact that they're even trying something at this point is a step in the right direction. We're a small community. If it doesn't work, then at least we tried easy Option A. At the very least, hopefully it will require a re-work on the MB'ers part to adjust to said change - Anything to affect their gaming experience. The only downside, from my viewpoint, is the inability to use the /assist to know whether or not someone is in sneak and in my immediate vicinity. Gone are the days of running around /assisting a flagged player to find their location and then using 'Greater Fear of Attention' to pull them out. That was always so fun for me

Keep up the great work Michi. Much love for you and the dev team!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    Care to expand on this a little, especially in regards to Doctor /assist healing please? That's been a long-standing show of a great doc...Is that about to die?
    Ah sorry, I forgot to mention that case. It will still be possible to pull the target data if a NPC being assisted. If this change does nothing but benefit cheaters, we do have alternate and additional options available...this is only the first stab.
    Henry "Michizure" Senger
    Lead Designer

Looking forward to see how the assist change plays out.

Ah sorry, I forgot to mention that case. It will still be possible to pull the target data if a NPC being assisted. If this change does nothing but benefit cheaters, we do have alternate and additional options available...this is only the first stab.
    I really hope that "if" part was a joke, we know it will happen, the tools to do it already exist. Maybe don't wait till after the fact if you have other options?

Three horrays for Michi the god. For a long long time a GD that listens to its customers. This will bring freedom to us vs MB cheaters. I will be back thanks to Michi

Really excited to hear things are being tried!

I'm not sure /assist will work like some expect.
    First, Tabbed targeting is identical for people in the same location.
    Second, mouse targeting can also be distributed to individual clients.
    Last, and most likely, a little 3rd party program should be able to pull an available target list, dump the master target to the slaves, and lock them all onto it.

I expect in the ensuing chaos of /assist-free mass PvP, a 6-man team focusing a single target will become godlike.

I think the easiest way is officially prohibiting it in PvP and then nerfing anyone who tries it. It's how the Multi-Hack was dealt with, and I think it could work. There aren't many people who do it and they're pretty easy to see.

Quote Originally Posted by srompu View Post
    I expect in the ensuing chaos of /assist-free mass PvP, a 6-man team focusing a single target will become godlike.
    It's a huge buff to multiboxers yeah, now they will be the only ones assisting, normal teams will have 0 chance. People are kidding themselves if they think FC has the resources to police this, even if they had the resources there is no way for them to tell the difference between automated targeting and other slightly slower ways of manually targetting on all chars or tab cloning.
    Last edited by Gunster; Aug 29th, 2015 at 01:07:02.

Those that are concerned about it buffing multiboxers may be totally right. But after working with Michi on the laundry list of NT changes so far, I've coined a little phrase for describing how he goes about fixing things...

"If at first you don't succeed...

This should be fixed in the next patch. Thanks!
    Michi doesn't really ever fail to do something, he just takes a few tries to get it spot on sometimes. :P

If he's on the anti-multiboxing side, they're definitely done.
    Vinkera - Soli NT - 426k DPM - Setup
    Robbey - Soli Crat

Lone anarchists - Tower of Babil

Celez - Soli Doc
    Loaloa - Soli Enf
    Wondershot - Nano Soldier
    Robzor - Soli Engi
    Proserpexa - Opi Agent

Trying out civilization - Storm

Another thing to point out is that this will greatly help multiboxers on tower offense/griefing, I assume towers will still be assistable? Being that they aren't players...

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast