Thread: Some Simple Tower Fixes

Some Simple Tower Fixes

Hello Devs,

I was just talking with a pair of Omni and Clan leaders after a fun Tara...

Why don't we bring about some changes in AO pvp mechanics especially towers? After the usual banter, you got rolled, you multibox.. blah blah, we soon realized we play this game for fun and AO would be more fun with some simple fixes.

#1 tower planting mechanics

First 10 minutes only org that won DD on CT can plant
    Second 20 minutes only side that won can plant
    After 20 minutes FFA anyone can plant

//This is to fix all the shameless ninjaplanting

#2 tower timers

Towers should be 17 hours 75% 2 hours 25% 1 hour 5%. War hotting 1 hour as is.

//This will enable lower motivation for time shifting towersites and promote pvp at all timezones... not just "prechoosen" timezone. Every day towers will be open 4 hours earlier, so every week everyone from any timezone will have a chance at towers.

#3 fixer hots/gsf nanos level lock on target

Same level locks as team runspeed buffs on GSF nanos .. 185 for GSF
    Same level locks for targets as is for fixer for example lvl 195 for Dr Hack 'n Quack

//This will transform lowbie pvp and will make many professions more viable. It also makes low levels more fun and team oriented.

#4 keybinds

1 Key 1 action rule.

//Right now no major game allows such massive key binds as AO. As it is players can now bind correct sequence of perks to one button and win most fights via pressing 1 button(Agents here). This would help make pvp more dynamic and multiboxing less of a problem since more buttons would have to be pressed for optimum gameplay.

We also agreed game is full of 0pportunity for small gameplay changes similar to these, that would make sense and everyone can easily agree on. We could not agree on multiboxing, or who rolled other side more at pvp... but these we could agree on. Remember these were agreed upon by few people at Tara, ingame today, from both sides, veterans with grasp on endgame and gameplay of all levels. People who PAY and PLAY the game rightnow, are not on canceled subs or do forum pevpev.

I feel strongly these 4 would change gameplay for the better in many ways and require almost 0 resources to fix and implement. 1 Day to fix our game, please do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

for no.4 to be viable we need to seriously cut down on the amount of actions available.

My crat would have close to 60 keybinds if there was not the possibility of binding more than 1 action to a key

#3: The pvm outcry will be huge but I like that idea - but with a little more relaxed level checks eg. vl 100 hot on level 75 toon, hnq on level 150
    #4: Not enforceable. People used programmable keyboards before there were multi-keybinds - and there are tons of external tools/driver for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    #4 keybinds

1 Key 1 action rule.

//Right now no major game allows such massive key binds as AO. As it is players can now bind correct sequence of perks to one button and win most fights via pressing 1 button(Agents here). This would help make pvp more dynamic and multiboxing less of a problem since more buttons would have to be pressed for optimum gameplay.
    This is just a symptom of the real problem, which is AO's crappy handling of special attacks in general. Perk actions in particular are terrible; you're forced to use garbage perks that do less damage than a single autoattack in order to start chains, and the higher level you get the more of these filler perks there are. Without keybinds you end up with entire hotbars dedicated to perks. It's ridiculous.

I've never seen another MMO that handles combat like AO does, and for good reason.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

small damage crappy perks telegraph other bigger ones incoming. But I agree, some spring cleaning of truly pointless ones needs to happen

Aye #4 is hard to fix in one day. Ideally some day we get better perk execution and perks...

How do we make #1-3 happen asap?

I only agree with the keybinds, I never wanted them, I never used them and I will never use them, it takes away the randomness of fights
    It takes away errors that can make a fight more exciting, it promotes ganking/alphaing instead of actually fighting

Removing keybinds wouldn't change anything. Even discounting macro keyboards and programs, people can just pianoroll a hotbar full of perks with the same result.

Sounds like what you really want is to remove perk queuing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    Removing keybinds wouldn't change anything. Even discounting macro keyboards and programs, people can just pianoroll a hotbar full of perks with the same result.

Sounds like what you really want is to remove perk queuing.
    I think that's the right idea. No other game I know have unlimited queue for actions, most have only one action queued ahead. AO perk queuing with immediate defense checks is IMHO stupid mechanic.
    Such solution will probably end alpha wars in pvp, that's significant plus.
    RK1: Amickson 220/30 ENG - equip, Aztea 220/30 MA - equip, Adirae 220/30 ENF

Quote Originally Posted by Amickson View Post
    I think that's the right idea. No other game I know have unlimited queue for actions, most have only one action queued ahead. AO perk queuing with immediate defense checks is IMHO stupid mechanic.
    Such solution will probably end alpha wars in pvp, that's significant plus.
    This yes.