Thread: This is how you fix and balance perks.

This is how you fix and balance perks.

PVP: Everyone has all special attacks capped. They hit you with kizzers, alpha you with perks, then use every special attack, then hotswap, then use every other special attack. They're also all Atrox, every single one of them (except you), so they're literally 500% unkillable as they rip your entire two HP from your gasping near-corpse.

People complain about perk alpha strikes all the time. Some people say "l2p" (ie press exactly this button at exactly this time in exactly this order, every time), others reply that it's impossible for their class, others lament how straightforward it is for a given class to just press every button and win. It's clearly way too tricky in a lot of circumstances, and obviously extremely difficult to balance. People have to then worry about something being nerfed for PVP that nerfs their ability to PVE as FC changes values to try and make the system work.

Reaching back in time: We have items like Barrow Strength, Ring of Eternal Night, etc. Try and chain them like perks and you'll just get a lot of "please wait for your previous action to finish." They also lock a specific skill, so you have to decide what it is that you want to use more, the attack, the buff, or the debuff -- like grafts. You also can't attack while "casting" them.

Then, later, FC set up perks, in their own entirely different system, as if it was designed to fit in an entirely different game. FC should have done this right in the first place. Why aren't perk actions stored as items in a special inventory (where they can be put on a hotbar without being in the main inventory)? Why don't they lock a skill for n seconds (so they can be affected by Jobe skill-lock clusters and skill-lock values on symbiants) when used? Why don't they return "please wait for your previous action to finish" when you try to chain cast? (That last one would help in PVE, where I use a chain of perk attacks, like a spaz, on a mob that dies before I've finished casting -- you never know when you'll crit and waste a perk.)

I don't think it's too late to overhaul this. This means being selective when using perks. This means having to do it at a particular time instead of being able to do it all at once. This means reducing OPness without really nerfing anything for PVE, and doing it in a way that affects everyone more equally than shifting values around does; unintended consequences are minimized.

I do have to say that, while all of this would bring us closer to balance, there are still a few things that could use adjustment: I'd like to see the use/cast time on item-based specials decreased a little, and that AO's network stuff needs to be more responsive (on the client-side, use extra cores at least for network stuff?) so it's a little less of a button-mashing pain to use them. I'd also like to see the buff durations on old special items, like Barrow Strength, increased somewhat, so that the perks subscribers have don't put them 300 miles ahead of froobs, but 200, or 150... Maybe with those items being more compelling in general, even subscribers will consistently pursue them, increasing utilization of old RK content? Maybe a few such usable-buffs could be added to froob TL5 items so subscribers will run all that stuff too again?

What they should do is just replace the janky special/perk/nano systems with a unified system like... well, every other MMO since the mid 00s.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

A unified system like the one that existed before perks, you mean? All it needs is for the items to be stored in a special inventory where they can be hotbar'd. Then the function is unified and perks are rendered mutually-exclusive by the skill locks. Boom. Headshot.

Uh, it wasn't unified, you still had items, specials and nanos all working off of their own little systems.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Unified hmmm, good idea. Though I would be perfectly happy with only 1 perk in que at same time..
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Oh, you mean "like every other MMO" as in you have a "spellbook" with every ability in it that you "buy" when it becomes available? I dunno. That might be too far. It definitely sounds cool for nanos though. Not for weapon specials so much, because either you'd have to level-lock specials becoming available (so agents can't do aimed shot at level 1 now), or make all specials available from the beginning on all weapons (so every pistol can do aimed shot and full auto, which doesn't make sense for most pistols and a lot of sniper rifles), or... I don't know. Having them available and checking against what the weapon allows sounds exploitable and harder to code.

Maybe we can talk in this thread about unifying perk and item-cast specials into one system though? One thing at a time?